***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,524,299 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Beat40
How long do you want to ignore this user?
texasaggie2015 said:

I was asked if the FO would have a strong voice. The answer is yes.

They'll meet throughout the week and discuss the roster and they'll meet before every game and talk lineups and bullpen usage. I know that for a fact.

I can't speak to what the lineup will look like or even the roster. Things are kept pretty close to the vest this time of year.

A lot of the info I've shared about the postseason last year wasn't given to me until months later.

Not disagreeing with you. Actually agreeing with you that they have a strong voice.

I was just suggesting a clarification because people on this board are reading into your comments about the FO having a strong voice as to them literally writing the lineup card each game in the post season. I have seen that comment several times since Sunday.

Maybe this FO will do that this year, but was just saying what I've observed in the past that yes, they have a strong voice, but it doesn't appear they write the lineup card.

Honestly helping you out so when "Dusty" lineups come out, you don't get raked over the coals for people reading too much into your comments.
Marvin
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Really confused on why so many people think I'm wrong about the front office's involvement. I've been explaining the structure all season.

Define "so many" people... I must have missed some posts.

I'm ok with Hensley and Salazar. If all goes well, Meyers and Singleton would not play (or contribute) much, anyway. And it would free Dusty to play Yainer more.
Beat40
Marvin said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Really confused on why so many people think I'm wrong about the front office's involvement. I've been explaining the structure all season.

I'm ok with Hensley and Salazar. If all goes well, Meyers and Singleton would not play (or contribute) much, anyway. And it would free Dusty to play Yainer more.

If MB is healthy, I don't see a lot of ABs for Yanier this postseason.
texasaggie2015
AG
I don't think I've ever said that the FO writes the lineups. I've gone into detail several times explaining what I know and I also provide a disclaimer and say I'm simply repeating what I've been told. If folks want to come at me when they don't like the lineup, that's on them I guess lol
Mr President Elect
AG
Dana sounded excited about our lineup the other day prior to JP getting scratched. Saying we were going to have a good lineup and we should score some runs. Reading between the lines, it sounded he was happy knowing Diaz would be in.
BMX Bandit
texasaggie2015 said:

I don't think I've ever said that the FO writes the lineups. I've gone into detail several times explaining what I know and I also provide a disclaimer and say I'm simply repeating what I've been told. If folks want to come at me when they don't like the lineup, that's on them I guess lol

Not doubting you are trying to come at you, just looking for clarity.

You previously said:

Quote:

It's different during the postseason. Dusty, the GM and others will meet before every game and discuss the lineup. If they're unable to agree, the front office has the final say. This is what I've been told at least. I can try to get some clarification, but I at the very least know Dusty is not solely in charge of the lineup in the postseason.

That still your understanding?
Prosperdick
AG
Ag_07 said:

I think it's almost a certainty they take a 3rd catcher.

For one they always do for the playoffs and now it's especially important so that Yanier can PH if needed and we'd still have a backup if Maldy gets hurt.

It's a must IMO or Diaz won't get a single AB.
Imagine a guy projected to have 40 home runs not getting a single f***ing plate appearance. Sigh.
JDUB08AG
AG
Prosperdick said:

Ag_07 said:

I think it's almost a certainty they take a 3rd catcher.

For one they always do for the playoffs and now it's especially important so that Yanier can PH if needed and we'd still have a backup if Maldy gets hurt.

It's a must IMO or Diaz won't get a single AB.
Imagine a guy projected to have 40 home runs not getting a single f***ing plate appearance. Sigh.
Its truly one of the wildest things I've ever seen in sports
Prosperdick
AG
If the front office has final say I would hope they would insist on Diaz catching but I'm sure that won't happen.

Hell, he's had so few at bats lately and after a 4 day rest he likely will be very rusty. He's got incredible pop but we have no idea how much that affects his timing. Just like we have no idea if he can hit lefties. Thanks Donkey!
McInnis
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Today in Astros History:

October 3, 1999: Astros beat the Dodgers 9-4 to win the NL Central for the third straight year, get Mike Hampton a club-record 22nd win, and play their final regular-season game at the Astrodome.

Audio clip of Bill Brown calling the last out: http://www.astrosdaily.com/audio/99windiv.mp3

Happy to say I was at this one. Biggio had his 56th double, also a club record, and tied for the 5th-most since World War II. Team went 97-65 despite 27 games without Larry Dierker at the helm following his scary incident in the dugout.Bagwell had a season for the ages: 143 R, 42 HR, 126 RBI, 30 SB, 149 BB, 1.045 OPS.

Lima and Hampton combined to go 43-14, and Billy Wags was 4-1 with 39 saves and a 1.57 ERA.

Then we **** the bed vs. the Braves. .. again.

And Biggio and Bagwell taking a victory lap around the field on motorcycles. And an obviously stoned Willie Nelson doing the postgame concert singing " Mamas don't let your cowboys grow up to be babies". It was a blast but we all knew what was probably coming next, and we were right.
CoachAg19
AG
Beat40 said:

Marvin said:

texasaggie2015 said:

If MB is healthy, I don't see a lot of ABs for Yanier this postseason.

Unfortunately, I don't disagree with you. Which is extremely unfortunate that a top-5 hitter on our team is going to be sitting on the bench for most of the postseason. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, what we've done to Yainer this season is absolutely criminal. Regardless of how the postseason plays out, I will not "thank Dusty later."
Class of 2010
texasaggie2015
AG
I believe they technically have the final say, but more often than not they compromise and it doesn't come down to that. A couple examples from what I've been told:

- The FO didn't want Yuli on the playoff roster. Dusty did. They hashed it out and eventually gave in to Dusty.

- Chas started almost every game in CF during the postseason. I believe that's what the FO wanted.

There are probably some other examples that I'm not aware of.

All that said, the front office doesn't make the lineup card and give it to Dusty. Everyone is involved. Yes, they have final say but it's a group conversation. Maybe they really want Diaz behind the plate and they overrule anything Dusty says. Maybe they compromise and we see an even split. Maybe Maldy catches every game. I really don't know.

I really wish I could give answers as to why Maldy plays so much and why Yainer doesn't.

Ag_07
AG
Hot take here but in the playoffs I don't mind Maldy getting the majority of time catching. He's the alpha out there on the field and in pressure situations that's when his leadership pays off.

Remember back in 20 when Framber was about to go all Framber and Carlos put him in his place? Well Maldy is that guy now.

With that said Dusty needs to be quick to PH Yanier in a late and close situation and Maldy comes up especially with runners on.
Farmer1906
AG
And when he sports a .4XX OPS in the postseason like he did in April/March, June, & July?

.522 OSP in 2022 Postseason
.327 OPS in 2021 Postseason

We shouldn't have to overcome his offense when better options are available.
The Porkchop Express
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I like you man, but everyone doubts everything unless they see / hear it with their own eyes.

I tell the young Ags (all in their late 20s) in my FFL league how dumb they are to think A&M football is ever going to win a national title, but they don't believe it year after year until we piss the bed vs. some lame-wad team.

Wabs
AG
redline248
AG
Farmer1906 said:

htxag09 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Quote:

Teams are going to challenge Jos Abreu

Seattle's season was on the line in this game, so Servais managed like it. It's not unreasonable to expect managers to act similarly in October. Facing Abreu feels far less daunting than either Alvarez or Tucker ahead of him.
Its almost like Abreu shouldn't be able to be challenged in place of Alvarez & Tucker. Maybe he should be batting in the 7 hole.
Abreu was challenged and did well, no? 7-24 in those 2 series. Not holy crap amazing but still good, and he was responsible for every run against the DBacks before game 3. And it's been well documented how much better his OPS is with runners on....

Also, nobody on this lineup is really going to be worthy of being challenged when comparing them to Yordan and Tucker. Maybe Chas, and I could see that argument. But as good as Chas has been, he's had some crucial at bats where he looked absolutely terrible as well.....
He did. But do you feel more comfortable projecting forward with the last 6 games of data or the previous 130+?

Chas would be the obvious choice, but he does have a bit of a K problem.
How does Chas's K rate compare to Abreu's?
AggieDub04
AG
Last year Vazquez came in and got 104 ABs in the regular season to Maldy's 107 after the trade, so somewhat even. In the post season Vazquez got 17 ABs to Maldy's 29. Obviously Vazquez isn't the hitter Diaz is but the fact they leaned even more on Maldy in the post season is concerning.
The Porkchop Express
AG
redline248 said:

Farmer1906 said:

htxag09 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Quote:

Seattle's season was on the line in this game, so Servais managed like it. It's not unreasonable to expect managers to act similarly in October. Facing Abreu feels far less daunting than either Alvarez or Tucker ahead of him.
Its almost like Abreu shouldn't be able to be challenged in place of Alvarez & Tucker. Maybe he should be batting in the 7 hole.
Abreu was challenged and did well, no? 7-24 in those 2 series. Not holy crap amazing but still good, and he was responsible for every run against the DBacks before game 3. And it's been well documented how much better his OPS is with runners on....

Also, nobody on this lineup is really going to be worthy of being challenged when comparing them to Yordan and Tucker. Maybe Chas, and I could see that argument. But as good as Chas has been, he's had some crucial at bats where he looked absolutely terrible as well.....
He did. But do you feel more comfortable projecting forward with the last 6 games of data or the previous 130+?

Chas had 117 in 457 PA
Abreu had 130 in 594 PA
Mr President Elect
AG
AggieDub04 said:

Last year Vazquez came in and got 104 ABs in the regular season to Maldy's 107 after the trade, so somewhat even. In the post season Vazquez got 17 ABs to Maldy's 29. Obviously Vazquez isn't the hitter Diaz is but the fact they leaned even more on Maldy in the post season is concerning.
IIRC, Vazquez really struggled down the stretch. He didn't really do much to help his cause.
redline248
AG
Farmer1906 said:

And when he sports a .4XX OPS in the postseason like he did in April/March, June, & July?

Bingo. Why do we need his leadership on the field? We have enough other vets out there. Brantley provided leadership from the bench in last year's playoffs, why can't Maldy?
Mr President Elect
AG
I mentioned it the other day, but Diaz really struggles when he doesn't play D. If the FO doesn't insert him at catcher, I am not sure they need to push the issue for other opportunities.

AustinCountyAg
imo you let Maldy catch Framber because he's a certified head case, but after that I'd have Diaz behind the plate for every other game.

but thats me wishing in one hand and ****ting in the other...
The Porkchop Express
AG
Also, kudos to Bregs for another season with more walks than strikeouts (92 to 87). That is getting exceptionally rare in baseball. It's the second straight year he's done it, and the fourth time in his career. He just missed it in the fake 2020 season (24/26).

Impressively, Juan Soto did likewise this year. 132 walks, 129 strikeouts. He and Bregman were the only two guys in the top 10 in walks to have more walks than Ks.
Farmer1906
AG

redline248 said:

Farmer1906 said:

htxag09 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Quote:

Chas had 117 in 457 PA - 25.6% K% (28 percentile K%, 29 percentile Whiff%)
Abreu had 130 in 594 PA - 21.9% K% (52 percentile K%, 42 percentile whiff%)
Adding
aggie813
Now there's an interesting question.
Do you let Abreu DH and Diaz play first given Diaz bats better when in the field? Also given the fact that Abreu is better defensively?
What's better, Abreu defense or Diaz bat?
The Porkchop Express
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Chas had 117 in 457 PA - 25.6% K% (28 percentile K%, 29 percentile Whiff%)
Abreu had 130 in 594 PA - 21.9% K% (52 percentile K%, 42 percentile whiff%)
Adding
cc10106
Mr President Elect said:

Dana sounded excited about our lineup the other day prior to JP getting scratched. Saying we were going to have a good lineup and we should score some runs. Reading between the lines, it sounded he was happy knowing Diaz would be in.
Dana also specifically mentioned having good bats like Diaz and Singleton available off the bench. That may have been from a different conversation, but my impression was he will back up Maldy. I just hope they work him in whenever because he's too valuable not to be utilized.

*Especially after we saw what another rookie could do in the postseason last year.
The Porkchop Express
AG
I don't know if Staff would go for this, but somebody (not it) should start an Astros' Fans only Rangers' Playoff Game Thread on here.

JYDog90
AG
aggie813 said:

Now there's an interesting question.
Do you let Abreu DH and Diaz play first given Diaz bats better when in the field? Also given the fact that Abreu is better defensively?

It's a great question but in my mind, Abreu has upped his defensive game in the last 2 weeks where Im afraid we'd notice his glove's absence.
Ag_07
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Fair enough

I also think that if we're playing up to our potential we shouldn't need his offense.
AgLA06
AG
Ag_07 said:

Hot take here but in the playoffs I don't mind Maldy getting the majority of time catching. He's the alpha out there on the field and in pressure situations that's when his leadership pays off.

Remember back in 20 when Framber was about to go all Framber and Carlos put him in his place? Well Maldy is that guy now.

With that said Dusty needs to be quick to PH Yanier in a late and close situation and Maldy comes up especially with runners on.
I do. There's literally nothing he can say from behind the plate that can't be said or allow him to lead from the bench. Hell, the players would respect him more if did insist the better player played and allowed him to focus on game planning and leadership.

Because his 4 automatic outs and inability to frame strikes or throw out runners more than counter acts anything he could do otherwise. Regardless of from which it takes place.
redline248
AG
Ag_07 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Fair enough

I also think that if we're playing up to our potential we shouldn't need his offense.
The issue is when one or two of the "better" hitters are struggling. Maldy, typically, doesn't pick up the slack.
cc10106
I think they'll want Maldy's postseason experience helping pitchers through tough spots, something Yainer doesn't have.
AgLA06
AG
Ag_07 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Fair enough

At some point someone has to be an adult and say we're playing the best players. Because if not the negative that happens to individuals who have earned playing time and are supposed to be developed can have lasting effects.

Saying we shouldn't need to and putting yourself in a situation where it matters are 2 very different things. This is supposed to be a business, right? Because last I checked this isn't a 503c set up in Maldy's name.
First Page Last Page
Page 2655 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.