***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,525,787 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
BadAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What's Chris Young's TexAgs handle? He must post a lot here.

Lol, so thin skinned
BadAggie
AG
In 162 game regular season easy to find a game here or there that made the difference for a division win.

Astros won the head to head over the Rangers 2 to 1, including the 3 game sweep on their field that was a complete ass kicking in September.

Not to mention that the Astros won their series in Seattle in the last week of the season.

'Everybody hates' the winning team? Boo hoo. What a bunch of children.
LB12Diamond
AG
We used to hate team as well that beat us. Now we hate teams we beat. Much better place to be in!
Psych
AG
Beat40 said:

bearkatag15 said:

Rangers GM getting in a little dig lol. Such a bitter franchise

The quote about the reports makes sense. I'm sure it was overblown and they weren't partying until 2am, so I get defending that because it's a direct insult to their professionalism. GM should do that.

However, the response of "everybody does" to the host of the radio show saying we all hate Houston is the next level pettiness from a GM.

The thing I love about the Rangers broadcast on Sunday is if the opposite happened, the Mariners played a scrub lineup and the dbacks played their starters for 6 innings, and the Rangers won to keep first place, it would be radio silent.

The Rangers broadcast probably owes the dbacks an apology as well. They directly questioned the integrity of the team by saying they didn't respect competition since the Astros had something to play for and were trying to win.

What a franchise of babies.

What do you expect from a franchise whose minor leaguers jack each other off. #neverforget.
JYDog90
AG
Beat40 said:

bearkatag15 said:

The quote about the reports makes sense. I'm sure it was overblown and they weren't partying until 2am, so I get defending that because it's a direct insult to their professionalism. GM should do that.

However, the response of "everybody does" to the host of the radio show saying we all hate Houston is the next level pettiness from a GM.

The thing I love about the Rangers broadcast on Sunday is if the opposite happened, the Mariners played a scrub lineup and the dbacks played their starters for 6 innings, and the Rangers won to keep first place, it would be radio silent.

The Rangers broadcast probably owes the dbacks an apology as well. They directly questioned the integrity of the team by saying they didn't respect competition since the Astros had something to play for and were trying to win.

The diamondbacks have the right to try to set up their team for success in the playoffs by giving some folks rest. They had to travel too, they're playing today too. This is one big ol' nonstarter.
3 Toed Pete
AG
That Rangers postgame celebration in the locker room looks like the old Club Astros. I kinda miss those days with Springer and Correa, Reddick, Sipp, etc.
JDUB08AG
AG
With more details coming out about Bauer, he needs to sue MLB.

I think the guy is a ***** but what happened to him cannot be allowed to stand.
Prosperdick
AG
Beat40 said:

bearkatag15 said:

I don't care how long they partied for but I GUARANTEE you the Seattle players, who just had their playoff hopes crushed, didn't enjoy hearing them celebrate in the locker room. If they had been a bit more respectful, like a champagne toast, I wonder if the game turns out differently. We'll never know...but I do know the rangerettes are one of the softest teams in the league.
stoneca
Start of Postseason review:

Do y'all think it was worth giving up our 2 best prospects for how JV has performed as an Astro?

Just trying to make conversion while we wait for Saturday.
JDUB08AG
AG
stoneca said:

Do y'all think it was worth giving up our 2 best prospects for how JV has performed as an Astro?

We won the division on a tie breaker...I'd say yes! JV gave us 13 scoreless innings in the last week. Clutch.
tjack16
AG
stoneca said:

Yes. His last two starts made that deal worth it
Farmer1906
AG
stoneca said:

It's hard to say this early. JV clearly made a huge impact the second half but who is to say we couldn't have spent less and gotten JMO to make a similar impact this year.

A lot will depend on our final results this postseason as well as the futures of the prospects.
CFTXAG10
AG
Just echoing the posts above. Narrow margin of victory made it all worth it. Nothing is guaranteed in baseball or sports for that matter. Win as much as you can while you can.
jkag89
Farmer1906 said:

stoneca said:

It's hard to say this early. JV clearly made a huge impact the second half but who is to say we couldn't have spent less and gotten JMO to make a similar impact this year.

A lot will depend on our final results this postseason as well as the futures of the prospects.
As well as what JV brings to the table next season.
wangus12
AG
3 Toed Pete said:

That Rangers postgame celebration in the locker room looks like the old Club Astros. I kinda miss those days with Springer and Correa, Reddick, Sipp, etc.
I mean, we had some pretty solid post game celebrations on Sunday. We just waited till we won the division rather than when we clinched a playoff spot. Winners Win Titles
Ag_07
AG
I find it kinda sad that on the day before their first playoff game in decades their GM is on the radio talking about the Astros and how much he hates Houston.

What sad sack of losers

Rent free fellas!!
Bag
AG

What is this in reference to?

also, this twitter account seems very moist
Farmer1906
AG
jkag89 said:

Farmer1906 said:

stoneca said:

As well as what JV brings to the table next season.
There will be a cliff JV falls off eventually. I am really hoping it's not next year.
Farmer1906
AG
Bag said:

Go back 3 pages.
spadilly
S
The JV deal was absolutely worth it, not just for his starts last week, but for the veteran leadership he provides for the pitching staff and the rest of the team. I guarantee the younger players in the team hang on his every word.
West Roxbury
Generalizing a fan base. Only take two or three wackos. And hard to tell who is who behind the profiles.
Prosperdick
AG
Bag said:

What pearl clutching pansy ass losers.

I think she was using her twitter to defend the rangerettes for only partying for 30 minutes and SHOCKINGLY she got roasted in the comment section and deleted her account so she could play the victim card.

ETA - We don't "wonder" why we're the most hated franchise. We know exactly why. It's a combination of Manfred hanging us out to dry when he knew good and well 2/3 of the league was engaging in it including every playoff team that year and the fact we continue to win. They hate us cause they ain't us.
Prosperdick
AG
spadilly said:

The JV deal was absolutely worth it, not just for his starts last week, but for the veteran leadership he provides for the pitching staff and the rest of the team. I guarantee the younger players in the team hang on his every word.
Couldn't agree more. I'm also sure that if one or both of those prospects turn out to be good MLB players there will be someone *****ing about it regardless if we win the whole thing this year and/or next year.
YellAg2004
AG
Prosperdick said:

Bag said:

What pearl clutching pansy ass losers.

I think she was using her twitter to defend the rangerettes for only partying for 30 minutes and SHOCKINGLY she got roasted in the comment section and deleted her account so she could play the victim card.

ETA - We don't "wonder" why we're the most hated franchise. We know exactly why. It's a combination of Manfred hanging us out to dry when he knew good and well 2/3 of the league was engaging in it including every playoff team that year and the fact we continue to win. They hate us cause they ain't us.
It still baffles me that in 2023 people still try to engage in any sort of discussion/debate via twitter. Use it to post things you want out there (I would advise against that as well), but stop thinking you're going to have any meaningful discourse on social media.
Marvin
AG
Hard to argue about JV being a benefit, but I was banging the drum for Montgomery before the trade deadline and he has been solid for the Rangers. 67 innings over 11 starts with 160 ERA+ and 2.1 WAR. Those numbers jumped considerably from earlier in the year, but I wish the Astros would consider him moving forward. He signed a 1-year deal for $10 million, but this stretch will undoubtedly change that. Matter of fact, Spotrac reports his market value as 6 years $110 million, which we know the Astros won't do, but I like what he brings. A staff that runs JV-Valdez-Montgomery would be elite, then you add in whatever McCullers will bring. That leaves some potential (not advocating for this, just saying there are different options) with France, Bielak, Brown, Javier, and Urquidy as back-end starters, relievers, or trade capital.

Won't happen because those back-end options are cheap and Crane needs to figure out potential extensions for position players. I just remember being able to stack pitcher after pitcher during the playoffs... going 18 innings in Seattle and still having 100+ pitches in the bullpen.
spadilly
S
Also, it's still just really cool to have JV in an Astros uniform and Kate wearing Astros gear.
jkag89
Ag_07 said:

I find it kinda sad that on the day before their first playoff game in decades their GM is on the radio talking about the Astros and how much he hates Houston.

What sad sack of losers

Rent free fellas!!
While the baseball certainly has not been fun for Ranger fan during the Golden Era of Astros Baseball, their World Series appearances were hardly decades ago and their last postseason appearance was in 2016 which was the backend of back to back divisional titles. The 2016 was was particularly tough for Astros fans since they kicked our asses. On the other hand, I know the Rangers were not at all concerned about being "classy" when they came out on top in 2015/16.
Farmer1906
AG
Just an FYI. The 1 year 10 M was his final arbitration year.
All I do is Nguyen
Agreed. I know JV spent the majority of his career in Detroit but I missed not having him in an Astros uniform while he was with the NYM
scd88
AG
The Rangers sure played like they were hungover on Sunday. They scored zero runs and that's where the rubber meets the road. The complaining from their media about Houston is just deflecting from that goose egg.
FrioAg 00
AG
Zero runs when the opposing manager was clearly trying to give you the win.

He pulled his best hitters out to ensure they didn't add any runs.

He pulled his starting pitcher who was cruising at 73 pitches.

He put a rookie in the game who had never completed an inning in the majors.

He refused to put his closer in.

Seattle did all they could to advance the narrative of "we didn't give them the game" but in fact give them the game. Ranger STILL lost, which is the truly embarrassing part.
texasaggie2015
AG
Really hope Game 1 doesn't happen at the same time as the Alabama game. Either way, bad news for my liver.
Wabs
AG
My liver has grown to hate Octobers. Aggie football collapses and stressful Astros postseason games will do damage.
Mr President Elect
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Really hope Game 1 doesn't happen at the same time as the Alabama game. Either way, bad news for my liver.
A part of me is hoping that it is. If it ends up being the night game, I'll probably have to check the score Sunday morning to remember if we won.
jkag89
spadilly said:

Also, it's still just really cool to have JV in an Astros uniform and Kate wearing Astros gear.
First Page Last Page
Page 2653 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.