***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,530,515 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
W
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
the Rangers (with Eovaldi) are under pressure to win tomorrow against Seattle's #5 starter Woo

then it's Castillo & Kirby for the last 2 games of the series
Dirty Mike and the Boys
AG
I think my coping mechanism for this last stretch is that (regardless of Dusty's inefficient lineups) we own our destiny. If we're truly the same team as years past we'll just sweep this series against Arizona overwhelming them with our playoff experience, while letting Arlington and Seattle duke it out. If not, it is what it is. We all know the silver lining: no more Dusty, lineup is still relatively stacked. Window is still not shut.
Serious Lee
texasaggie2015 said:

You guys realize this makes it harder for us.. right?

I wouldn't be celebrating and dancing on the grave yet.
texasaggie2015
AG
I'm a firm believer in jinxes. It's going to make me cringe every time. But that's just me. To each their own.
W
AG
Gallen's ERA for the month of September is 4.45

he's had 2 great starts and 3 bad starts
Farmer1906
AG
W said:

Gallen's ERA for the month of September is 4.45

he's had 2 great starts and 3 bad starts

Lots of hard heaters but very few sliders. Curve is the main secondary. Righties get occasional cutters & lefties get change ups.

We need the LoD tomorrow.
redline248
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I'm a firm believer in jinxes. It's going to make me cringe every time. But that's just me. To each their own.
How many times have you changed shirts or seats or turned off a game and the Ags or Astros still lost?
Chrundle the Great
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Truthfully, I enjoy watching Chapman pitch and it warms my heart every time he does his thing

That choke job could've eliminated the Astros and I'd probably still smile.

Besides Rangers/ Mariners outcome could go either way I don't care. If the Astros miss the playoffs what I'm going to remember in a few months is that they went 2-7 vs the A's/royals not that a routine Chapman choke shut the door.
Mr President Elect
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Eh, still just have to win 2 of 3. This just means backdooring if we get swept is a lot less likely. Let's take this division!
LarryBird
I just love seeing the rangers and their trash weirdo fans lose
kb2001
AG
redline248 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

I think easiest path for us is a Seattle/Texas split, and we only need 1 win to be in the playoffs, right?

edit: obviously winning 3 in Arizona would be the best way
We're a game ahead of Seattle, so if the Rangers win the next 3, we're in. That's the "easiest" path.

The minimum way to make the playoffs is to be equal to the M's the rest of the way. That's not the best path, it'd be better to lock it up and have a relaxing game Sunday.

kb2001
AG
Great finish to the season for baseball fans.

There are only 3 games left, and we have 3 teams with very different outcomes on the line. All 3 are facing the possibility of being the 2 seed with a bye, or not even making the playoffs. On top of that, there's a 4th team in the mix for a WC spot, that could be in or out as well.
Tibbers
What's super interesting is the tie breaker situation as well. Mariners hold the tie breakers over both the Blue Jays and the Astros. Blue Jays are playing the Rays and the Rays have nothing to play for. They could rest their players as they can not improve their position. The Rangers only need one more win to lock up the West and do the same as the Rays, rest their players. The Astros will have to face the Diamondbacks however who have a lot to play for to hold their spot in the Wild Card.

https://www.mlb.com/news/2023-mlb-postseason-three-team-and-four-team-tiebreaker-scenarios
El_duderino
Rangers need to win 2 and the AL West is secured. Just 1 win and an Astros sweep means Astros win the division by owning the tiebreaker
BadAggie
AG
Odds of JV starting on Saturday just went up.
BadAggie
AG
JV starts on Sat, then next day to start with 5 days rest would be Thursday, which would be the prospective 3rd and final game of the WC.

BadAggie
AG
75AG said:

I'm so confused. Who do we want to win???

Astros.
cone
AG
suboptimal outcome
rausr
AG
Isn't it amazing how almost every year there are races that are this close, where you wish you had that random 1-run loss that you gagged up in June back?

(or that game where you were experimenting with a nearly minor league lineup…)

MosesHallRAB04
AG
rausr said:

Isn't it amazing how almost every year there are races that are this close, where you wish you had that random 1-run loss that you gagged up in June back?

Or the very recent series against the worst teams in baseball where you went a dreadful 2 and 7?
tjack16
AG
rausr said:

What's what a lot of us were saying from May - July but people were saying we were being stupid and emotional. Those games count the exact same in the win column as games in September do. Also it was obvious the rangers would be neck and neck with us the whole year based on their off season moves.

Take care of your business from April - July, and you can afford to have a bad week stretch in September.
maca1028
AggieDub04
AG
Tibbers said:

What's super interesting is the tie breaker situation as well. Mariners hold the tie breakers over both the Blue Jays and the Astros. Blue Jays are playing the Rays and the Rays have nothing to play for. They could rest their players as they can not improve their position. The Rangers only need one more win to lock up the West and do the same as the Rays, rest their players. The Astros will have to face the Diamondbacks however who have a lot to play for to hold their spot in the Wild Card.

https://www.mlb.com/news/2023-mlb-postseason-three-team-and-four-team-tiebreaker-scenarios

Rangers need two wins to wrap up the west. If they go 1-3 the Astros can win the west.

Edit to correct
Ag_07
AG
We need to win regardless of what happens around us.

Control your own destiny and win and nothing else matters.
OKCAg2002
AG
What happens if there is a four-way time between us, the Mariners, the Blue Jays, and the Rangers? Would the Mariners win the west and we would be left out of the wildcard?
Satellite of Love
rausr said:

You don't have to go back to June. How about 2 weeks ago when they went 2-7 against the two worst teams in baseball? Should of had a few more wins in those 3 series.
Farmer1906
AG
OKCAg2002 said:

What happens if there is a four-way time between us, the Mariners, the Blue Jays, and the Rangers? Would the Mariners win the west and we would be left out of the wildcard?
I believe the Mariners win the west then the Rangers get left out with the tiebreakers. I read it.... didn't verify.

I was fake news:

Quote:

AMERICAN LEAGUE
4-way tie scenario (for 3 spots)
Scenario: Astros, Mariners, Rangers, Blue Jays tie
Result: Mariners, Astros, Rangers IN; Blue Jays OUT
If all four of these teams finish with the same record, ties would be settled in the following order:
[ol]
  • AL West title tiebreaker between the Astros, Mariners and Rangers
  • Second AL Wild Card berth tiebreaker between Blue Jays and two remaining AL West clubs
  • Third AL Wild Card berth tiebreaker between two remaining clubs
  • [/ol]
    3-way tie scenarios (for 2 spots)

Scenario: Blue Jays claim 2nd Wild Card; Astros, Mariners, Rangers tie
    Result: Mariners and Astros IN; Rangers OUT

Scenario: Astros win AL West; Mariners, Rangers, Blue Jays tie
    Result: Rangers and Mariners IN; Blue Jays OUT

Scenario: Rangers win AL West; Astros, Mariners, Blue Jays tie
    Result: Mariners and Blue Jays IN; Astros OUT

AggieDub04
    AG
    Blue Jays are left out in a four way tie per the MLB article.
    flashplayer
    AG
    Tibbers said:

D backs need only 1 win OR a cubs loss and they're basically in. So decent chance they mail in the last 2 games if they win the 1st.
    Farmer1906
    AG
    flashplayer said:

Tibbers said:

D backs need only 1 win OR a cubs loss and they're basically in. So decent chance they mail in the last 2 games if they win the 1st.
    Let's not let them win the first.
    Prosperdick
    AG
    BayAg_14 said:

I don't get the celebration. This just makes it harder for us to make the postseason. Easiest route is Mariners losing.
    Wrong. The magic number for the rangerettes is still 2, which is good for us. The moment they clinch they play their AAA squad for the remainder of the series which screws us. We need them to hang around a bit longer.

If we're going to take 2 of 3 from Arizona, one of the two wins needs to be tonight so texas can't clinch and still have fear they won't win the division or even make the playoffs.

ETA the magic number to clinch a playoff spot is still 1 so if texas had won last night they still wouldn't rest all their players tonight but they definitely would feel a lot better knowing they are in regardless. However, now they know if we sweep they have a chance to miss the playoffs entirely so they still have to play to win.
    Farmer1906
    AG

Quote:

Who's clinched?
    • Braves: Clinched NL East, home-field advantage throughout playoffs
    • Dodgers: Clinched NL West
    • Twins: Clinched AL Central
    • Orioles: Clinched AL East, home-field advantage through ALCS
    • Rays: Clinched AL playoff spot
    • Brewers: Clinched NL Central
    • Phillies: Clinched NL wild-card spot

Magic numbers
    • Rangers' magic number to clinch playoff berth: 1
    • Diamondbacks' magic number to clinch playoff berth: 1
    • Rangers' magic number to clinch AL West: 2
    • Blue Jays' magic number to clinch playoff berth: 2
    • Astros' magic number to clinch playoff berth: 2
    • Marlins' magic number to clinch playoff berth: 3
    Tiebreakers
    Here's a look at key tiebreakers that could come into play to determine playoff spots and seeding. MLB uses head-to-head record as the top tiebreaker among teams that finish with the same record.

AL West
    Astros own tiebreaker over Rangers
    Mariners own tiebreaker over Astros
    Rangers own tiebreaker over Mariners

AL wild card
    Rangers own tiebreaker over Mariners and Blue Jays
    Mariners own tiebreaker over Blue Jays

NL wild card
    Marlins own tiebreaker over Diamondbacks, Cubs, Reds
    Diamondbacks own tiebreaker over Cubs
    Reds own tiebreaker over Cubs, Diamondbacks

Here's a look at the MLB standings and playoff picture for the 12-team postseason as of this morning. All division and postseason odds are courtesy of SportsLine, and you can check out the expanded standings here.

2023 MLB playoff picture
    American League bracket
    (If the season ended today)
    Wild Card Series: No. 3 Twins vs. No. 6 Astros
    Wild Card Series: No. 4 Rays vs. No. 5 Blue Jays
    ALDS: No. 1 Orioles vs. Rays/Blue Jays
    ALDS: No. 2 Rangers vs. Twins/Astros

National League bracket
    (If the season ended today)
    Wild Card Series: No. 3 Brewers vs. No. 6 Marlins
    Wild Card Series: No. 4 Phillies vs. No. 5 Diamondbacks
    NLDS: No. 1 Braves vs. Phillies/Diamondbacks
    NLDS: No. 2 Dodgers vs. Brewers/Marlins

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/2023-mlb-playoff-picture-bracket-standings-magic-numbers-tiebreakers-for-baseball-postseason/
    cone
    AG
    easy for you to say

this thing is running on fumes right now

I think they'll get a jolt if they clinch a spot, but it's sucks to not get help that's an out away
    JYDog90
    AG
    maca1028 said:

I don't think this is a helpful graphic at all. It shows that the Astros are in regardless. Have to figure in Toronto
    JDUB08AG
    AG
    Willy Wonka said:

maca1028 said:

I don't think this is a helpful graphic at all. It shows that the Astros are in regardless. Have to figure in Toronto

This is west only
    First Page Last Page
    Page 2556 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.