***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,502,834 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Marvin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

Bregs 3B --cold as ice-- .147 BA, .693 OPS

$30 million. I think he wins the prize for the player who has disappointed me the most this year. He's had a couple of hot streaks, but they have been too short and too far in between.
Farmer1906
AG
He's got a 5.0 bWAR. He's not elite, but he's been pretty good. Plus he's avoided the IL, unlike a lot of our core.

Sure, you want the OPS another 20-30 points higher, '20-'22 Bregman .803 OPS. '23 Bregman .802 OPS. It's kind of who he is now that the juiced balls are no more.
scrimp
AG
Bregman has had a bizarre year. First 3 1/2 months of the year, he was pretty sub-par--.238 BA and .718 OPS. Mid July to Sept 10, he was super hot, hitting .332 BA and .993 OPS. Last couple of weeks has been super cold, though.

Baseball is a streaky game, but Bregman is pulling a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.
tjack16
AG
I just can't get over how insane Bregman's 2018-2019 was. It had to be juiced balls. Mainly 2019 with 41 HR

I think he's still a very solid player worth about 20M per year.

What's crazy is this month his batting average has dropped over 10 points from .272 to .261 but his on base has stayed pretty much the same going from .365 to .364
Bondag
AG
tjack16 said:

I just can't get over how insane Bregman's 2018-2019 was. It had to be juiced balls. Mainly 2019 with 41 HR

What's crazy is this month his batting average has dropped over 10 points from .272 to .261 but his on base has stayed pretty much the same going from .365 to .364

Let's get him on the road the next 2 weeks without a crying kid and see how those numbers look.
Farmer1906
AG
tjack16 said:

I think the market will say otherwise.

For the 2022 Offseason

Quote:

The per-WAR average of the top 25 position players is also similar to what pitchers earned, coming in at $5,380,791.93.
If Brgman is a 4-5 WAR player then he's probably worth 22-27 M per year on the open market.
BadAggie
AG
Could see the logic tonight of putting Pena in 2 hole v Castillo, moving Chas and Diaz to 5/6 after Yordan and Tucker, and then whatever combo of Bregman, Brantley and Abreu. Sure crazy but based on recent performance and also performance v Castillo I wouldn't have Bregman high in the order for this game.

Farmer1906
AG
Bondag said:

tjack16 said:

Let's get him on the road the next 2 weeks without a crying kid and see how those numbers look.
Seattle is throwing almost nothing but righties. That'll help. He's got ild reverse splits for the 2nd year in a row.
Farmer1906
AG
BadAggie said:

Could see the logic tonight of putting Pena in 2 hole v Castillo, moving Chas and Diaz to 5/6 after Yordan and Tucker, and then whatever combo of Bregman, Brantley and Abreu. Sure crazy but based on recent performance and also performance v Castillo I wouldn't have Bregman high in the order for this game.

How do you know they'll stay hot? Guys are hot until they're not. Zoom out and you know who's going to give you the best chance.
tjack16
AG
Farmer1906 said:

tjack16 said:

For the 2022 Offseason

Quote:

The per-WAR average of the top 25 position players is also similar to what pitchers earned, coming in at $5,380,791.93.
If Brgman is a 4-5 WAR player then he's probably worth 22-27 M per year on the open market.

I'd be very good with 5 years 120 MM (24 AAV) as an extension for him. Or 4 years 100 MM
Farmer1906
AG
tjack16 said:

Farmer1906 said:

tjack16 said:

For the 2022 Offseason

Quote:

I'd be very good with 5 years 120 MM (24 AAV) as an extension for him. Or 4 years 100 MM
I would be too, but I am sure he's gonna want 7-9 years. Someone just may give it to him.

We've done well not paying guys past their prime. We'll see what Dana and Crane have in mind. A lot of major decisions coming.
BadAggie
AG
Farmer1906 said:

BadAggie said:

How do you know they'll stay hot? Guys are hot until they're not. Zoom out and you know who's going to give you the best chance.

F it, lead off Yordan. Then Tucker, Chas, and Diaz. You want to maximize the # of ABs of your best hitters in this game. If Bregman et al start hitting then move them up in next game.

I hope I'm wrong but Bregman tonight is likely 3 free outs for Castillo.

BadAggie
AG
Tucker been MIA lately as well.

Call me crazy but other managers might view Chas as a good lead off option

So

8 Chas
4 Altuve
2 Diaz
7 Alvarez
9 Tucker
5 Bregman
DH Brantley
3 Abreu
6 Peña
Deluxe
AG
I'd give a stranger a big hug if I saw this tonight:

1. Altuve 2B
2. Yordan DH
3. Yainer C
4. Tucker RF
5. Chas LF
6. Bregman 3B
7. Abreu 1B
8. Peña SS
9. Dubon CF

(Assuming no Uncle Mike)
Farmer1906
AG
As long as our top 6 are our top 6 hiters and Yordan is no lower than 3, its a great lineup.
tjack16
AG
It is crazy how the scheduling worked out for Seattle. They literally control their own destiny facing us 3 times and Texas 4 times.
Mathguy64
AG
Bregman's issue isn't a juiced ball. He's no longer quick to the middle or middle in pitch.

Some of that is he's rarely pitched middle or middle in because he's so on top of the plate no one throws it there. It's all away away away and he's either popping it up, hitting it to the big part of the park because he can't pull it or he's pulling it into a grounder.

And because he's so on top of the plate he's susceptible to getting bad calls away when the ump is fooled.
linkdude
AG
Same old story...
agproducer
AG
No Diaz.

OKCAg2002
AG
Dusty keeps trotting out the same sheet every game and hoping for a different result.
gambochaman
AG
Alvarez tucker and chas still in the wrong spots

Whatever
OKCAg2002
AG
I just don't even care anymore. Our manager can't see the obvious. What's new?
BadAggie
AG
LOL

linkdude said:

Same old story...
Mathguy64
AG
That old man is going to go down with a whimper. It would be comical if it weren't so sad.

He's literally making a lineup less likely to win in the literal definition of a must win game.

You be you Dusty. Never stop.
linkdude
AG
Someone on Twitter also picked up on this: Chas hasn't played CF since 9/15 I believe
RED AG 98
AG
Urgency. you said? Playoffs effectively start tonight, you said? DB says nah, everybody plays on my team. We're just getting sorted out.
AggiEE
Diaz isn't a Julio Rodriguez

But Dubon is
tjack16
AG
I'm fine with Maldonado catching JV and that's it. He's earned the right to choose for winning 3 cy youngs

Framber though doesn't get to decide. He hasn't earned that yet given he's had 3 good years
1836er
AG
RED AG 98 said:

Urgency. you said? Playoffs effectively start tonight, you said? DB says nah, everybody plays on my team. We're just getting sorted out.
I thought I saw he was going with the LLWS lineup tonight; everyone on the roster in the batting order.

Get a few needed at bats in for Kessinger and Singleton, just to keep them sharp... and make sure guys like Diaz don't get too worn out before the playoffs.
wangus12
AG
Nah **** that. He was pitching just fine in NY without Maldy. He can do so here
rosco511
AG
Do we even know if JV is making this choice or is this Dusty making the choice for him?
RED AG 98
AG
Exactly. At some point folks are going to realize that the extra passed balls, extra stolen bases, and lack of a bat actualy make it more difficult to win. Wild I know but I still have a tiny sliver of hope.
Blackbeard94
AG
We gonna win one tonight gents?
Beau Holder
AG
wangus12 said:

Nah **** that. He was pitching just fine in NY without Maldy. He can do so here

Not to mention a couple of bad starts of his own helped contribute to this predicament.

It's time to do what it takes, nobody's feelings get to matter now. Or that would be the case if a manager of sound mind and even average quality was in the dugout.
Boiling Denim
Diaz may legit never get back in the lineup this season. Even if we get eliminated Maldy will get his farewell tour
First Page Last Page
Page 2463 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.