***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,502,742 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Wabs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I guess it's going to take missing the playoffs to get Dusty the hell out of here. Sucks but at least he won't be around next year to **** everything up.
W
AG
68 - Rangers
69 - Blue Jays
71 - Mariners
71- Astros
Ciboag96
Mariners swept. They will be out for blood. Not sure we have any left but whatever
BadAggie
AG
McInnis said:

I wonder if we'll ever know what happened? Too much complacency among the players from the last few year's success? Maybe Dusty treating the regular season as if were nothing but a prelude to post-season helped fuel this notion. No way did I ever seen this coming.

Sure Dusty set the tone but you'd think you see a sense of urgency regardless from the players.

Some of those guys are angling for big ass extensions of course.

Could care less, maybe it's more than just bad managing? The on field effort the last few weeks has been non existent.

If the players don't seem to care why should fans?
RED AG 98
AG
1876er said:

Dusty isn't getting fired this year. He won a WS last year.

Are you arguing semantics or do you think he returns as manager in 2024? I don't think he will be fired either, technically. However I'm fully convinced his contract won't be renewed and we have a new manager next season.
Project Gemini
AG
Remember when we were all *****ing about losing games because we were stacking a AAA player with Maldy at the back of the lineup? Turns out those games DID MATTER and "everyone plays on my teams" isnt a strategy. Seriously Dusty, way to take a big crap on a season in the middle of our dynasty years. You should be sending thank you letters and gifts to everyone on the team last year for life so that you actually got a WS. Probably the FO too since now we know they made all your lineups for you last year too. I hope the only job offer you get next year is the Cleveland Browns.
Wabs
AG
There will be rioting in the streets if Dusty is kept for next season.
CoachAg19
AG
wangus12 said:

Looking forward to the 30 for 30 on one of the most epic collapses ever. **** Dusty. **** Crane. He'll **** Dana too

Epic collapse? Man, this has been a SLOOOOOOW burn since the moment the WS ended last year with the GM search, questionable offseason moves, injuries from the WBC and the regular season, our best hitters sitting the bench, strange lineup orders along with a different lineup pretty much every single day, etc. Yes, we just recently fell out of 1st place, but it's not like we had run the table all season and had some massive 10+ game lead or something.
Class of 2010
Deluxe
AG
Wabs said:

I highly doubt he's back unless we win the WS. If we somehow win back to back rings, he can come back next year and literally take naps in the dugout for all I care.
Bonfired
AG
6-17 from August 12 onward at home.

All but 6 of those 23 games were against teams either 4th or last in their division...14 of those games against teams with losing records, 6 of them against teams with 100+ losses (1-5).

Epic bed****tery...and then rolling around in it.

BadAggie
AG
Deluxe said:

Wabs said:

I highly doubt he's back unless we win the WS. If we somehow win back to back rings, he can come back next year and literally take naps in the dugout for all I care.

But do any of the players really give a damn? Pretty telling quote of Chas that he's surprised at the lack of urgency. That's not just on the manager.

bearkatag15
AG
On a positive note, if we make the playoffs we won't see those teams in the postseason
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
1876er
AG
RED AG 98 said:

1876er said:

Are you arguing semantics or do you think he returns as manager in 2024? I don't think he will be fired either, technically. However I'm fully convinced his contract won't be renewed and we have a new manager next season.

Well I thought he signed a two year contract after last year. Looks like it was only 1 year, so yeah, he probably isn't back next year.
BadAggie
AG
Bonfired said:

All but 6 of those 23 games were against teams either 4th or last in their division...14 of those games against teams with losing records, 6 of them against teams with 100+ losses (1-5).

That's a total team effort, not just on the manager.

Boiling Denim
Rangers holding on today makes the goal clear

Gotta win the next two series and the only way we miss out on the playoffs is if the Rangers sweep the Angels and the Mariners sweep the Rangers in their final 4 game set
BadAggie
AG
bearkatag15 said:

On a positive note, if we make the playoffs we won't see those teams in the postseason

Yeah, lol, they'll play well this week because they face good teams.
Blackbeard94
AG
spadilly said:

1876er said:

He won't be offered a new contract, so technically he won't be "fired."

Like the Bobs, we "fixed the problem"
1876er
AG
BadAggie said:

Bonfired said:

Yeah. You can't pin losing at home to the worst teams in baseball 100% on the manager. That's a complete organizational effort.
Boiling Denim
My only fragment of hope and it's a nanometer big is that I don't think we've faced the Mariners with Altuve, Yordan and Tucker in the same lineup yet
houag78
AG
Stats from last 15 days pretty telling:
Offense - Altuve and Alvarez about .280
Bregs/Tuck/Abreu are .159/.217/.205

Starting pitchers ERA last 15 days :
Brown - 6.10
JV - 5.54
Framber - 4.19
Javier - 4.50
and your closer ERA is 11.25

Epic fail across the board.
RED AG 98
AG
BadAggie said:

Bonfired said:

If you've ever been part of a dysfunctional organization, you know how debilitating, de-motivating and downright depressing it can be when there is no trust in the leadership and decision making ability. It's paralyzing, even for people that are typically high functioning contributors.
cc10106
Wabs said:

I guess it's going to take missing the playoffs to get Dusty the hell out of here. Sucks but at least he won't be around next year to **** everything up.

Despite the obvious disappointment of potentially missing the postseason the silver lining is this team getting more time to reset and letting the Dana Brown era finally begin properly. Plus the players need a break physically and mentally, and it's been clear to me for a while.
BadAggie
AG
Well, if ever there was a switch to flip, now's the time.

tjack16
AG
One positive note. The Yankees are officially eliminated from playoff contention
Bioish
AG
Who are we targeting this off-season?
txags92
AG
Besides a new manager?
BadAggie
AG
Bioish said:

Who are we targeting this off-season?

Hmmm. Starting Diaz and McCormick will address some issues.
W
AG
this will make folks pull their hair out...

Bregman in the month of September:

95 plate appearances
78 at-bats

.231 BA
6 x-base hits
only 6 RBI

14 walks
only 5 strikeouts in the entire month -- this should indicate a very good month -- but it did not

6 GiDP's

Boiling Denim
BadAggie said:

Well, if ever there was a switch to flip, now's the time.

It doesn't take much mental gymnastics to pretend the playoffs start tomorrow. We'll see what they've got. Our 3 best bullets to put us in the drivers seat or end the season in all but the most improbable scenario
Bioish
AG
I'm more excited to get rid of the "personal catcher/cf" roles. Entitled B******
W
AG
on that note....

FOX and TBS execs cannot be happy with the possibility of both the Yankees and Astros missing the AL playoffs

always need a villain for TV ratings

AL playoffs would seem snooze-worthy if the 'stros don't make it
Project Gemini
AG
Tampa Bay and Texas. Ratings juggernauts, I bet advertisers are falling all over themselves at Chilis and Arby's getting those spaces
f1ghtintexasaggie
W said:

this will make folks pull their hair out...

Bregman in the month of September:

95 plate appearances
78 at-bats

.231 BA
6 x-base hits
only 6 RBI

14 walks
only 5 strikeouts in the entire month -- this should indicate a very good month -- but it did not

6 GiDP's

There were posters literally last week planning for his extension. I don't see it. I don't get it. He is not and will never be 2019 Bregs again.
tjack16
AG
Im planning on remaining cautiously optimistic for the wild card until I see us drop 2 against Seattle. If that happens then it's over.

But I do think there's still a chance the "road" Astros show up this week and win a series.
W
AG
his month of September might put the front office into a holding pattern

extension was looking good at the end of August
First Page Last Page
Page 2458 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.