***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,510,046 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
texasaggie2015
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What if a few years from now it turns out Dusty was involved in a gambling ring and he was throwing games
spadilly
S
right hand hitter looking at the ball coming from a left hander who is all the way on that side of the rubber, I guess?
Farmer1906
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I'm trying to figure out how that effects the hitters at all
I am guessing it will help with RHH vs LHP who throw 3/4 slot.
HarryRocket
It's not May anymore. Abreau shouldn't sniff the top 6.
texasaggie2015
AG
That still seems really far to the right side (as your looking at the batters eye) but maybe it's the angle
MosesHallRAB04
AG
carpediem13 said:

I don't really understand tucker at 5. Especially behind Abreu.

The only reason I can think of, and it's not a good one, is to give Abreu protection with tuck behind him? Then tuck doesn't have a gidp machine behind him?

Like I said though, that's still the wrong answer.
n_touch
texasaggie2015 said:

I'm trying to figure out how that effects the hitters at all
I just tried it on my tv by changing the batting angle on The Show and post it notes. It had an adverse affect on me being able to see the ball. I will try spray paint next
Prosperdick
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I cannot wait to move on from Dusty Baker. Frustrating is an understatement. It would be one thing if the things he did made sense and I just disagreed with them. This has just been malpractice. And it's sad honestly. I've never seen anything like it.

The best comparison is Hinch and how we seemed to sometimes overshift and of course inevitably a ball would be hit that would be a tailor made double play that turned into a basehit. That's something you can disagree with (too much shifting) but you knew he had analytics to back it up.

The splitting of lefties and not playing Diaz and for a while batting Chas 8th have absolutely zero reasoning behind them.

Oh well, hopefully we make the playoffs and at least the FO can take over the lineup.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Abreu is going to rally to the ****tiest 90 rbi season since the time Sean berry had 12 in the last 3 games of the year to finish with 95
Mr President Elect
AG
Mr President Elect said:

Farmer1906 said:

Mr President Elect said:

Time to move Peña back to the 2 hole

0-4 with 4 K screams get him more ABs?

"Yes" - Dusty
Apparently, it only justified a one spot bump in the lineup.

Edit: NVM, I thought he hit 8 yesterday. Of course he should be in front of Doobie today though
Mathguy64
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I cannot wait to move on from Dusty Baker. Frustrating is an understatement. It would be one thing if the things he did made sense and I just disagreed with them. This has just been malpractice. And it's sad honestly. I've never seen anything like it.
Teams in SF, Chicago, Cincy and Washington saw it. Its not like he started this idiocy yesterday.
texasaggie2015
AG
It's funny. The day we hired him my Cubs friend texted me and said "RIP to the Astros" and told me what I would end up hating about him. It was all true.
Prosperdick
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I said this a few months ago. If I were the manager and I needed to throw games without making it obvious, I don't think I would have gone this far.

Exactly…it's just too obvious and sadly not related to gambling or throwing games. At least that would make sense.
texasaggie2015
AG
That's the perfect example. I also wonder if he's sort of going senile based off some of the things he's said not making any sense. But again, maybe it's been like this all along and we were able to tolerate it because we had the division wrapped up.

Anyway, nothing we can do about it. Let's get into the postseason and get hot.
Farmer1906
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

That still seems really far to the right side (as your looking at the batters eye) but maybe it's the angle
Hard to know. I tried to find views from hitters and this is the best I could find (RHH vs LHP). If this guy is throwing off the mound, would it be close? IDK.

tjack16
AG
"Brantley will take at bats from Diaz"

Both Brantley and Diaz are out of the lineup when playing top team in the AL
Beau Holder
AG
MosesHallRAB04 said:

carpediem13 said:

I don't really understand tucker at 5. Especially behind Abreu.

The only reason I can think of, and it's not a good one, is to give Abreu protection with tuck behind him? Then tuck doesn't have a gidp machine behind him?

Like I said though, that's still the wrong answer.

As if Galaxy Brain thinks this far
texasaggie2015
AG
Yeah, I really have no idea. I played competitive baseball up until last year but obviously never at a level where a batters eye was needed
Farmer1906
AG
FrioAg 00
AG
Good hitting, on and off pitching that's averaged to median - that's sounds right

It feels like one night we are on the cusp of No Hitters, followed immediately by blowing it.
YZ250
The existing batters eye extends pretty far to the left so the new paint makes the right side more equivalent.

Now waiting for Farmer to analyze RHH vs LHP for home and away...and then LHH home and away.
AggiEE
Prosperdick said:

Mr.Bond said:

CoachAg19 said:

"What we're doing to Yainer is criminal"

100%. Literally watching an AL ROY award be stolen from him with his lack of PT.
Just had this conversation yesterday. We have ripped the award right out of his hands. Its shameful, pathetic, unforgivable and disgusting

But he'll thank Dusty later for it! It reminds of Judge Smails: "I've sentenced boys younger than you to the gas chamber. Didn't wanna do it, but felt I owed it to them."

"Yainer ain't an everyday player. He's no Martin Maldonado where you just slot him in the lineup, you know"

- Dusty
BadAggie
AG
Personal catcher and personal centerfielder to help personally give up 5 runs tonight
Farmer1906
AG
YZ250 said:

The existing batters eye extends pretty far to the left so the new paint makes the right side more equivalent.

Now waiting for Farmer to analyze RHH vs LHP for home and away...and then LHH home and away.
Sure why not?

League Avg (RHH, LHP, from 21-23)
@ MMP - 110 wRC+, 20.2 K%, 31.3% Hard% (FanGraphs metric, not statcast)
Not MMP - 107 wRC+, 22.1% K%, 32.8% Hard%

Its pretty even. I would guess the #s at MMP are higher mainly due to the data consisting of 50% Astros offense (a good offense).

Astros (RHH, LHP, from 21-23)
@ MMP - 118 wRC+, 17.8% K%, 30.7% Hard%
Not MMP - 113 wRC+, 19.5% K%, 33.5% Hard%

A little better at the juice box overall.

Trying to find a specific batter this might help.

Chas McCormick (RHH, LHP, from 21-23)
@ MMP - 159 PA, 162 wRC+, 27.0% K%, 35.9% Hard%
Not MMP - 165 PA, 165 wRC+, 25.5% K%, 37.5% Hard%

Alex Bregman
@ MMP - 299 PA, 109 wRC+, 8.0% K%, 30.7% Hard%
Not MMP - 262 PA, 97 wRC+, 14.1% K%, 32.5% Hard%

Jose Altuve

@ MMP - 242 PA, 159 wRC+, 15.7% K%, 32.0% Hard%
Not MMP - 221 PA, 137 wRC+, 12.2% K%, 37.2% Hard%

Jeremy Pena

@ MMP - 162 PA, 114 wRC+, 20.4% K%, 30.8% Hard%
Not MMP - 155 PA, 156 wRC+, 13.5% K%, 35.5% Hard%

I guess you could make a case for Pena, but it could be any number of factors.

Note - I did it like this (MMP vs not MMP and not Home/Away) since some Astros players pre-23 had different homes.... not sure how FanGraphs handles those.

BadAggie
AG

"Hey, Chumps. Play better."

HarryRocket
12 games left.

Does 7-5 win the division?
Farmer1906
AG
HarryRocket said:

12 games left.

Vey likely.
tjack16
AG
HarryRocket said:

12 games left.

I think so barring a crazy 7-0 run by the rangers against Seattle
Faustus
Farmer1906 said:

It looks like they just covered up the tip for the Budweiser advertising. Hopefully that's enough to assuage our hitters.
Farmer1906
AG
tjack16 said:

HarryRocket said:

12 games left.

I think so barring a crazy 6-1 or 7-0 run by the rangers against Seattle or vice versa
Even if either team did that, they'd still need to go 3-3 or 4-2 in the none games against each other.

7-5 for us means 10-3 or them to overtake us.
scrimp
AG
Just to make myself shake my head in disbelief, I decided to look over the defensive catching stats:

MM:
107 games played, 7 errors, 3 double plays, 76 stolen bases, 13 caught stealing, 11 passed balls, and 26 wild pitches.

Yainer:
53 games played, 5 errors, 4 double plays, 30 stolen bases, 13 caught stealing, 0 passed balls, 7 wild pitches.

If we double Yainer's stats to extrapolate stats get close to the games played for MM:
106 games played, 10 errors, 8 double plays, 60 stolen bases, 26 caught stealing, 0 passed balls, 14 wild pitches.

Let's compare that to the AL All-star catchers this year

Rutschman:
103 games played, 5 errors, 4 double plays, 53 stolen bases, 13 caught stealing, 0 passed balls, 35 wild pitches.

Heim:
111 games played, 2 errors, 8 double plays, 55 stolen bases, 23 caught stealing, 7 passed balls, 26 wild pitches.

This irritates me much more than the batting order. True, Diaz needs to cut down the errors. If he could maintain his stats (offensively and defensively) he would be at ROY and All-Star levels this year. But of course, he get's to catch occasionally and make sure the bench doesn't float away....
Farmer1906
AG
Farmer1906
AG
scrimp said:

Just to make myself shake my head in disbelief, I decided to look over the defensive catching stats:

MM:
107 games played, 7 errors, 3 double plays, 76 stolen bases, 13 caught stealing, 11 passed balls, and 26 wild pitches.

Yainer:
53 games played, 5 errors, 4 double plays, 30 stolen bases, 13 caught stealing, 0 passed balls, 7 wild pitches.

If we double Yainer's stats to extrapolate stats get close to the games played for MM:
106 games played, 10 errors, 8 double plays, 60 stolen bases, 26 caught stealing, 0 passed balls, 14 wild pitches.

Let's compare that to the AL All-star catchers this year

Rutschman:
103 games played, 5 errors, 4 double plays, 53 stolen bases, 13 caught stealing, 0 passed balls, 35 wild pitches.

Heim:
111 games played, 2 errors, 8 double plays, 55 stolen bases, 23 caught stealing, 7 passed balls, 26 wild pitches.

This irritates me much more than the batting order. True, Diaz needs to cut down the errors. If he could maintain his stats (offensively and defensively) he would be at ROY and All-Star levels this year. But of course, he get's to catch occasionally and make sure the bench doesn't float away....
I have done this before, but its always nice to update

Framing (Catcher Framber Runs)
Diaz -5 (53rd)
Maldonado -17 (64th of 64)

Neither is good, but Maldy is worse even if you look at Runs/Pitches

Blocking (Blocks Above Avg)
Diaz +8 (6th)
Maldonado +3 (17th)

Keep in mind, this is a counting stat. Diaz has over 2,000 fewer opportunities than Sean Murphy @ #1 (+14)

Throwing (Catcher's Caught Stealing Above Avg)
Diaz +4 (11th)
Maldonado +1 (21st)

Defensively Diaz is better. Offensively Diaz is a **** ton better.

BTKAG97
AG
BadAggie said:

Personal catcher and personal centerfielder to help personally give up 5 runs tonight
As long as they are all solo HRs, the team should be good.

Center, center pitches FTW!
Mr President Elect
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Sweet, should get our best reliever back just in time to make a push down the final stretch.
First Page Last Page
Page 2335 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.