***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,505,204 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Wabs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Dusty and the players need to start playing today as if the playoffs start today. That's essentially the situation we're in. Stop ****ing around and playing games with the lineup. The time for winning is now.
FrioAg 00
AG
Here's the upside of baseball in this situation…

Win tonight, and things look better pretty quickly.
Farmer1906
AG

spadilly
S
Hey Dusty, the sooner we lock up the division, the sooner you can make sure all of your favorites have playing time to run out the regular season.
Prosperdick
AG
I'm still in shock at the stat that Maldy has the second most starts in the AL this year. A guy that's 39 years old coming off a pair of injuries last season, who can't hit for s*** and can no longer throw runners out and apparently has pissed off every HPU because they refuse to give any borderline strikes is starting more games than 13 other AL teams and who knows how many NL teams.

Catcher is one of the most physically demanding positions in the sport and a major reason why teams move guys to other positions to lengthen their career (apparently past the age of 39) and Dusty is so adamant about giving guys days off and yet will ride Maldy into the ground out of spite because God forbid he play a rookie who already has 20 bombs, throws out more runners, and hasn't allowed a passed ball all season.

I just...I just can't wrap my head around it. It's turned into a tragic comedy at this point.
Prosperdick
AG
Farmer1906 said:

We haven't mixed and "mitched" for s*** this year Dana. Diaz knows Hunter REALLY well...that's about it.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
For as much as Sean could to maintain Dana being willing to come on weekly I thought he really pressed the Maldy question. I was quite surprised.
AustinCountyAg
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

For as much as Sean could to maintain Dana being willing to come on weekly I thought he really pressed the Maldy question. I was quite surprised.
I don't think it bothers Dana that much being pressed about it. He knows, as much as everyone else that Diaz should be starting every game behind the plate.

I think Dana is in a tough spot right now.
txags92
AG
W said:

Verlander's ERA is 3.86 with the Astros

given up 9 HR's in 49 innings

-------

his ERA with the Mets was 3.15

gave up 9 HR's in 94 innings
Clearly he has benefited from having a great catcher behind the plate calling games for him. Too bad it was during his time with the Mets.
AggiEE
The D said:

Listening to 790 and the amount of maldy love from the callers is sickening. The points they are using:

1). The players love maldy
2). He calls the best game in the league
3) best defensive catcher in the league
4 Diaz is rookie
5) catchers aren't supposed to hit anyways
6) the offensive production we get with Diaz is outweighed by the game maldy calls behind the plate.

Can our fans get anymore dumb ? I heard this 4 times in a row

Stockholm syndrome
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I don't think he minds it either. But he also can't go on radio and just say his manager is wrong and the wrong guy is playing.

It is better done out of sight but as many have said on here on the radio etc, Maldy alone isn't losing us games. For whatever reason we play down to opponents. Do I think he's helping JV, no, but I also don't believe anything Diaz would do behind the plate would change anything either.

Someone above mentioned callers are idiots because they're supportive of Maldy unless that was in the 6 o'clock hour not exactly sure what they're talking about. 790 has sounded like this thread for a long time and Sean had been basically like farmer and 2015 saying sure he isn't playing well but it's more than that and sure Diaz should play but it isn't happening, move on.
Wabs
AG
A hot streak coming???

texasaggie2015
AG
Everything a manager, GM, player, etc says to the media is all PR. There may be exceptions occasionally but 99% they'll say whatever needs to be said to make the entire organization look good.

Remember when Dana said they aren't looking at starting pitching? I remember coming on here and saying that's not true and they're talking to the Mets about JV. There's a rhyme and reason behind everything they say.

Dana might defend Dusty to the media.. there's nothing to gain from putting him on blast. But I know for a fact there's been plenty of conversations behind the scenes.

No, I don't know why Dusty plays Maldy. No, Dana cannot overstep Dusty. And yes, I know Maldy sucks. I'm not defending any of it.

The way it's structured is that Dusty controls the lineups and bullpen usage during the regular season. That's what was agreed upon when he signed his contract. Unfortunately, it won't change this year until the postseason.

It is what it is.
Wabs
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Everything a manager, GM, player, etc says to the media is all PR. There may be exceptions occasionally but 99% they'll say whatever needs to be said to make the entire organization look good.

Remember when Dana said they aren't looking at starting pitching? I remember coming on here and saying that's not true and they're talking to the Mets about JV. There's a rhyme and reason behind everything they say.

Dana might defend Dusty to the media.. there's nothing to gain from putting him on blast. But I know for a fact there's been plenty of conversations behind the scenes.

No, I don't know why Dusty plays Maldy. No, Dana cannot overstep Dusty. And yes, I know Maldy sucks. I'm not defending any of it.

The way it's structured is that Dusty controls the lineups and bullpen usage during the regular season. That's what was agreed upon when he signed his contract. Unfortunately, it won't change this year until the postseason.

It is what it is.
We need to GET to the postseason. And we need to start playing like that now. Like today.
texasaggie2015
AG
Yeah, probably should have said if and not when. My bad
Ag_07
AG
My God the Rangerette fanboys are fckn off their rocker.

I saw a headline that Max is going for an MRI and I click over on that thread to get some info and insight only to see that all they can talk about is their theory that we're cheating.

But only on the road (too many eyes watching us at home) by hacking pitchcom and batters are getting the info in real time as it's being relayed form catcher to pitcher. And furthermore we didn't start mashing until later in the games because we have to confirm the data we're collecting. AND EVEN FURTHEMORE we didn't hit Hedges like the others because he is a position player and not using pitchcom.

People actually believe this shlt? That's institutionalized level of delusion.

Boiling Denim
Our record with Maldy at MMP is starting to look shockingly bad

24-32

Losing 6 of the last 7

Stop the count! Please dear lord
Prosperdick
AG
Ag_07 said:

I saw a headline that Max is going for an MRI and I click over on that thread to get some info and insight only to see that all they can talk about is their theory that we're cheating.

But only on the road (too many eyes watching us at home) by hacking pitchcom and batters are getting the info in real time as it's being relayed form catcher to pitcher. And furthermore we didn't start mashing until later in the games because we have to confirm the data we're collecting. AND EVEN FURTHEMORE we didn't hit Hedges like the others because he is a position player and not using pitchcom.

They are sad little pathetic men over there...so I guess Yordan was cheating in the minors too because he was destroying pitches at that level. I guess Bregman was cheating at LSU (OK, bad example since I hate them but seriously, does anyone believe that). I suppose Brantley was cheating with the Indians and of course Altuve has always been cheating, even when the team stunk. It's amazing.
AgLA06
AG
Prosperdick said:

Farmer1906 said:

We haven't mixed and "mitched" for s*** this year Dana. Diaz knows Hunter REALLY well...that's about it.

And we sure as **** don't have 2 capable guys behind the plate. He costs our guys strikes, the other team strolls around the bases like the first nice spring day in London, and his pitch selection has seem our guys get shelled. Any positive thing he supposedly provides can be done from the bench. How can any intelligent person say that.
AustinCountyAg
He's not going to publicly blast a player.
texasaggie2015
AG
Thank you. I don't know why that's so hard to understand.
The Porkchop Express
AG
You guys should watch last night's episode of Ahsoka. I haven't worried about the Astros once in more than 12 hours.
Wabs
AG
Ag_07 said:

Have those idiots seen our home record? Are we cheating on the road???
texasaggie2015
AG

I try to stay away from this thread during and after games so I'm sorry if I missed a discussion on this.

I just want to clear things up and make sure nobody takes this too seriously. The Astros rarely engage in contract discussions during the season- especially down the stretch of a division race.

Unless something insane changes out of nowhere, they'll get a deal done and Altuve will be an Astro for life. That's a priority for them.
Mr.Ackar07
texasaggie2015 said:

I try to stay away from this thread during and after games so I'm sorry if I missed a discussion on this.

I just want to clear things up and make sure nobody takes this too seriously. The Astros rarely engage in contract discussions during the season- especially down the stretch of a division race.

Unless something insane changes out of nowhere, they'll get a deal done and Altuve will be an Astro for life. That's a priority for them.
I wonder if you could structure a contract to be $13m or $Xm per year for "life" with the caveat that the deal is a 1 year contract with a player option for the following year that can be triggered once a performance criteria is met? When the player option is utilized, another player option is added. The performance trigger could be something like number of games played or number of at bats reached.

I wonder if the MLBPA would object to a contract such as this?
txags92
AG
Boiling Denim said:

24-32

Losing 6 of the last 7

What is our overall record with Maldy starting behind the plate versus with Diaz starting behind the plate? If Maldy has all these intangibles with his intense preparation that make our pitchers throw better games, surely it will show up in a better W-L record when he is behind the plate.
Ag_07
AG
I saw this and I didn't even bring it up for the reason you stated.

That stuff doesn't happen during a season and it's no shock there is no communication right now.

Just click bait
txags92
AG
txags92 said:

Boiling Denim said:

24-32

Losing 6 of the last 7

What is our overall record with Maldy starting behind the plate versus with Diaz starting behind the plate? If Maldy has all these intangibles with his intense preparation that make our pitchers throw better games, surely it will show up in a better W-L record when he is behind the plate.
Ok, so somebody correct me if I am wrong, but I came up with Maldy with 103 starts and Diaz with 43 starts assuming he started any game Maldy didn't and that Maldy started any game where he had 2 or more at bats. If that is accurate, we are 55-48 (.534) with Maldy starting and 27-16 (.628) with Diaz starting. And that is with Maldy catching the "aces" and Diaz getting the 3/4/5 starters.

So where do the intangibles kick in? I like Maldy. By all accounts, he is a great guy who works very hard and he is admired and respected by his teammates. But this is a sport, not a club, and based on those numbers, he is hurting the ball club every time he starts a game.
3B Paul 97
AG
redline248 said:

The D said:

Listening to 790 and the amount of maldy love from the callers is sickening. The points they are using:

1). The players love maldy
2). He calls the best game in the league
3) best defensive catcher in the league
4 Diaz is rookie
5) catchers aren't supposed to hit anyways
6) the offensive production we get with Diaz is outweighed by the game maldy calls behind the plate.

Can our fans get anymore dumb ? I heard this 4 times in a row

Not just dumb, but also wrong.

Same ****ers that probably start the wave.
n_touch
texasaggie2015 said:

He Gone
texasaggie2015
AG
What do you mean?
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
N touch is going to trade him with Breggy before their contracts expire
AgLA06
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

He's not going to publicly blast a player.

I don't expect him to. But I also don't expect him to say dumb, factually incorrect **** like that either. He's supposedly smarter than this, right?
texasaggie2015
AG
A manager and GM is always going to have a player's back. What do you want him to say? I'm confused.
Panama Red
AG
Very bizarre take from AgLA06. Does he want the GM to say Maldonado can't hit or play defense?

Its like he has never heard of coach speak before.
First Page Last Page
Page 2274 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.