***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,505,780 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Guys, wtf is happening with us vs the A's?
Beat40
I think Maldy is not catching for the Astros next year. I don't think he would have this year of it weren't for his contract vesting because of his playing time last year.
Blackbeard94
AG
Maybe that HEB commercial is a real preparation meeting, reality TV.
Cheo
Sooo bad playing at Minute Maid
fullback44
AG
If Dusty doesn't play Yainer tmrw he is one dumb MF .. what the hell is wrong with him…. Maldy is a guaranteed out or double play every time yet he keeps playing him.. if I'm the owner I step in and tell Dusty he better make the move .. dude is old and hard headed ..
DrZ
AG
Abreau has 77 rbis. I think ghat puts him at fourth in AL at first. He will finish with a pretty good year after awful start.
West Roxbury
We need someone do some sort of voodoo or something at MMP. A reverse hex. Or a water leak and forced to play in Arlington for home games. Something is wacky about our home games.
gambochaman
AG
West Roxbury said:

We need someone do some sort of voodoo or something at MMP. A reverse hex. Or a water leak and forced to play in Arlington for home games. Something is wacky about our home games.

The insane thing is that visiting teams seem to have zero issues hitting at mmp
spadilly
S
I haven't seen them lose in person this year and I'll be there tomorrow.
Hulla Baller
AG
Losing this series is like a punch in the nuts
BadAggie
AG
gambochaman said:

West Roxbury said:

The insane thing is that visiting teams seem to have zero issues hitting at mmp

It's not the park. It's being at home and losing focus.

The starting pitching is worrisome, not making any kind of run in the postseason with Framber and JV pitching as they have lately.

But for the offense it's not the batters eye at home, lol, what a cop out. It's mental and you have a manager who is all about catering to vets and not about lighting a fire under anyone. Chas busts his ass and has to ride the pine because Dusty is proving a point to the GM who isn't there anymore.

BadAggie
AG
West Roxbury said:

There's no curse, they get home and lazy
Jet Black
kb2001
AG
redline248 said:

Guys, wtf is happening with us vs the A's?
A's are playing .500 baseball in the last 4 weeks. Astros haven't done well at home all season.

AggiEE
Beat40 said:

I think Maldy is not catching for the Astros next year. I don't think he would have this year of it weren't for his contract vesting because of his playing time last year.

It's insane to me.

When we brought Maldy to the Astros originally, he was a backup catcher. Known in the league as a guy that was below average on all major metrics, but a pretty decent alternative if you needed to go with someone in reserve.

Somehow he has been elevated to untouchable status. It makes zero sense. He has not earned it in any way whatsoever. I don't even mind Maldy, and would be fine signing him again next year if it was only in a mentorship/backup role used sparingly.

That's the role he was SUPPOSED to be in THIS YEAR. We traded guys for a better CATCHER LAST YEAR. YET, somehow we never even used that catcher (Vasquez) as much as he should have played, and here we are again this year with arguably the best catcher in the league who is getting even less time because of some ridiculous personal vendetta, loyalty to veterans, and sheer inability for our pitching staff to adapt and be inclusive.

This season has been completely mismanaged so we should not at all be disappointed if/when we see results in the near future that fail to capitalize on this team's potential, and as a long time fan it is really painful to watch us squander an opportunity like this.
West Roxbury
It was a joke.
BadAggie
AG
Bag said:

The AL West race is essentially a cat fight

cc10106
Not even surprised by the start to this series. Just been that kind of a season without any consistency for the most part.
Texas A&M
Things that make you go hmmmm.....

W
AG
Abreu's RBI total is good

but he's a negative WAR player

-0.5 for 2023

we don't want negative WAR players in the starting lineup
wangus12
AG
Yall put some bad juju on this team with all the talk of playing easy teams
spadilly
S
tjack16
AG
DrZ said:

Abreau has 77 rbis. I think ghat puts him at fourth in AL at first. He will finish with a pretty good year after awful start.

The big issue with that is RBI don't tell the whole story. If you look at game logs, his RBI seem to come in bunches. A game with 3 or 4, and then five games with none. So you see a 6 game stretch with 4 RBI and it looks good when looked at from a broad sense… but not when you look at how the individual games went.

For example, the month of July he had 15 RBI in 25 games. That seems good overall… but he only had an RBI in 7 games that month. So in the 18 other July games he did not have an RBI.

I'd also venture to guess he probably leads the team in runners left on base.
SECcess12
spadilly said:

I hope they REALLY try now. Way to go team.
BadAggie
AG
.500 team at home

18 wins over .500 on the road, only Braves and Orioles are better.

Might behoove someone at the club to figure out what is different in road v home approach to games

AggiEE
W said:

Abreu's RBI total is good

but he's a negative WAR player

-0.5 for 2023

we don't want negative WAR players in the starting lineup

Especially on an easily replaceable position like 1B.
cc10106
BadAggie said:

.500 team at home

Might behoove someone at the club to figure out what is different in road v home approach to games

According to a certain thread, we've figured out how to cheat on the road only. It's obviously the only way and possible explanation.
agproducer
AG
Some good news.

Happy for Aledmys.

Beau Holder
AG
spadilly said:

By the time you need a third team meeting, things ain't changing.

And if you need Justin Verlander to tell you in mid September not to take games for granted, you've got bigger problems.
dixichkn
AG
cc10106 said:

BadAggie said:

.500 team at home

According to a certain thread, we've figured out how to cheat on the road only. It's obviously the only way and possible explanation.
Even during the two so called "cheater years" our home/road splits re: BA and OPS were notably better on the road. There's something psychological going on and it's damn high time to figure out what it is

It might be best if I stay off this board the next couple weeks. I really don't need the ban right now
Dies Irae
spadilly said:

Uh hey Jv, please stop throwing fastballs at 94 right down the heart of the plate
txags92
AG
BadAggie said:

West Roxbury said:

There's no curse, they get home and lazy
Make them stay at a hotel downtown for home games until things improve.
Jackal99
AG
My son's favorite part of the game.

BadAggie
AG
spadilly said:

Not surprising, hopefully he was looking in the mirror when he said that.

Really hope he hasn't hit a physical limit, that was always the risk with giving him that kind of contract, fortunately the Astros got a big discount given how things worked out.

All I do is Nguyen
Your son looks really happy! Look at that huge smile. Might wanna get him checked for jaundice tho…
First Page Last Page
Page 2272 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.