***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,514,168 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Cromagnum
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Beau Holder said:

Blue Jays and Twins both will gain a game on the Astros.

Mariners and, we hope, Rangers won't … this time.

Daaaaa Jankgers lose. 3-6
BadAggie
AG
FrioAg 00
AG
Bright side:

Our next 5 games are Padres (without Snell), and then Oakland. 5-0 and 4-1 very doable if this team is serious.

Meanwhile Seattle has 2 more against the Rays, and then a series against the Angels who really really hate them. I could see 2-3 pretty likely.

Rangers are in free fall, so they can't feel too good even with 2 more against the A's before a 4 game series against the Blue Jays (basically a fight for that last wild card spot)

Just bounce back and handle business starting tomorrow.

W
AG
yes, the Astros (80-62) are still in very good shape to make the playoffs....due to the simple fact...

the Rangers have 11 games remaining vs. the Blue Jays and Mariners

those are 11 guaranteed losses to spread among the other wildcard contenders.

and figure the Red Sox, Guardians, Rays, and Dodgers will put a few losses on the wildcard contenders as well

so an unspectacular 10-10 finish by the Astros should secure a wildcard spot

90 wins

W
AG
however for the division title....

probably need 92 wins...12-8 finish

and don't get swept in Seattle

redline248
AG
Hunter Brown better figure it out pretty quick. Can't keep putting the team in 4 or 5 run holes to start.
Mr.Bond
AG

Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

linkdude
AG
"interesting" note that Sparky had on the radio call last night, Astros have lost 6/7 (I'm guessing now 7/8) games that came after off days.
Marvin
AG
So I guess Maldy didn't straighten Hunter out?
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Shayboy3
S
Any way we can just play road games??
BadAggie
AG
Does the team need to stay in a hotel for home games?

BadAggie
AG
Mr.Bond said:

cc Baker, Johnnie B. Jr.
tjack16
AG
Marvin said:

So I guess Maldy didn't straighten Hunter out?

I'm guessing with Diaz and Chas striking out so much last night Dusty was quite content. Would have been awesome if Diaz had a multi hit game on top of Maldy "straightening Hunter out"
Boiling Denim
Maldy is 23-30 now catching at MMP

Is this in his head in relation to his game calling? Something stinks
Prosperdick
AG
Cromagnum said:

No more home games. If it's too many distractions, the front office needs to figure the **** out.
So the rangerettes back in 2017 were actually trying to help us out.
McInnis
AG
Shayboy3 said:

Any way we can just play road games??
And all those times Dusty was trotting out those Hensley/Madris special lineups, no one realized that he was trying to get the non-home field advantage for the playoffs. 4D chess right there.
Frok
AG
Open the roof tonight. Gotta change something
The Porkchop Express
AG
Is it just me, or does anyone else feel like some people on this thread expect the Astros to win every single game and are furious and desperate to point fingers when they don't?

It's baseball. The very best teams are still losing 40% of the time.
FrioAg 00
AG
You seem to have confused this thread in June with this thread in September

Every year, like clockwork, the posters in this thread shift a month before the playoffs. Suddenly every loss is the end of the world, and even within the game every opponent run and there is a meltdown.

The baseball IQ drops off big time here around August
astros4545
AG
The difference is this year is that games in September matter

We havent had to deal with meaningfull baseball for a while, in part due to Dustys lineups all year
n_touch
The Porkchop Express said:

Is it just me, or does anyone else feel like some people on this thread expect the Astros to win every single game and are furious and desperate to point fingers when they don't?

Quit making excuses for them. This is serious business we are dealing with here. Losing 40% of the time is unacceptable and should not be tolerated by this fan base.
Cromagnum
AG

This happens, but most of us are talking about the disastrous split between home and road games. That **** needs to get figured out quick.
Beau Holder
AG
.625 on the road and .500 at home with a negative run differential is worthy of consternation, pillory, examination, or anything else. It seems like it should be impossible.
B-Rabbit
AG
Boiling Denim
B-Rabbit said:

We should send them Maldy to straighten him out
Not MarathonAg12

EastCoastAgNc
AG
aggiederelict
And he has had two major elbow surgeries and his career is in jeopardy. Bulldog mentality can be good but also can be why you are always hurt.
Ag4life80
AG
I'll take the gamer, thank you
LarryElder

This reminds me of the RC solcum quote half the teams lose on sat no
Biggie
tjack16
AG
astros4545 said:

We havent had to deal with meaningfull baseball for a while, in part due to Dustys lineups all year

I'd say the games matter equally no matter what time of the year it is. They all count the same in the standings. The main difference is if you take care of the games you should win from April - July, then the final 60 don't feel as important because you're comfortable.

Our issue is we didn't take care of a lot of those games and have been playing from behind up until Wednesday 9/6.
Mathguy64
AG
tjack16 said:

astros4545 said:

I'd say the games matter equally no matter what time of the year it is. They all count the same in the standings. The main difference is if you take care of the games you should win from April - July, then the final 60 don't feel as important because you're comfortable.

Our issue is we didn't take care of a lot of those games and have been playing from behind up until Wednesday 9/6.

Rangers are 2 games under .500 since June 1. They made their noise in April/May. Since then they have been trying to tread water.

They are proof positive that you can't win the title in April.
tjack16
AG
Mathguy64 said:

tjack16 said:

astros4545 said:

Rangers are 2 games under .500 since June 1. They made their noise in April/May. Since then they have been trying to tread water.

Didn't say you can win the title in April. Just saying every game counts the same in the standings no matter when the game is. This September just feels more important because in the past we had a comfortable lead by now
Ciboag96
Beau Holder said:

.625 on the road and .500 at home with a negative run differential is worthy of consternation, pillory, examination, or anything else. It seems like it should be impossible.

Need to sacrifice a goat in the home dugout.
Mathguy64
AG
tjack16 said:

Mathguy64 said:

tjack16 said:

astros4545 said:

Didn't say you can win the title in April. Just saying every game counts the same in the standings no matter when the game is. This September just feels more important because in the past we had a comfortable lead by now
Sorry. Wasn't criticizing. It was just an offhand comment. I was looking this morning and didn't realize how much of an early season paper Tiger they really were.
First Page Last Page
Page 2214 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.