***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,506,471 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
agdaddy04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There's only 10,000 total so those are broken up amongst all the gates. They start giving them away 2 hours ahead of time and it's Tucker night. Probably need to get there pretty early.
Beat40
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Honest question, what does a head of baseball operations do. And how is it different than a GM
My guess is all the non roster related stuff. More park related such as vendors, tickets, fan related stuff, etc.

Makes sense to keep team GM and ball park operations separate to me. They are both full time jobs.
TAMUworkingAG
The Beef01 said:

TAMUworkingAG said:

The Beef01 said:

TAMUworkingAG said:

I was looking at Mariners schedule and I HATE to say it, but they could win almost every series, with several likely sweeps. Doesn't look good for Astros. Our only hope is for the pitching to get much better, we lost one of our best relievers with Ankle problem which doesnt help at all
You didn't actually think about this at all before you posted it, did you?

Yes l, and I'm correct too, apparently you didn't look at the Mariners schedule did you. They have easiest schedule left compared to Astros, Rangers are done
When Mariners win the conference come back and see me, I think Mariners will have at least a 5 game lead when season is over, come on back and reply here when it happens

Answering here only made it worse…clearly you're not an Astros fan; you've never posted on this thread.

Do you have any idea what would have to transpire for the Mariners to win the division by 5 games?? You're also predicting the team who just lost 4 of 6 to the Mets & Reds to be almost perfect over 16 games against the Rays, Dodgers, Rangers and Astros. (Also, no slip-ups against the A's or Angels)

BTW - There's no metric by which you can defend the "easiest schedule" claim based on that schedule I just gave you.

Your wrong, I'm a huge Astros and baseball fan and the Mariners play the Rangers more than any other team for the few weeks left. The way the Rangers pitched they may not win another game. Mariners definitely have easier schedule than Astros. There is no doubt Mariners pitching will come out on top at seasons end. Am I missing something or did mariners just sweep Astros? And did Astros just dominate and sweep Rangers. As many times as the Mariners play Rangers between now and seasons end I think mariners win all those games, that alone wins the Mariners the title. Astros are my favorite team, I don't miss a game and our pitching is no where near as good as it needs to be this year. I hate to say it but Mariners pitching is much better than Astros and much much much better than Rangers. Rangers are done. Astros lost one of our best relief pitchers with ankle problem at possibly the worst time of the year. No need to argue, let it play out and you will see the Mariners win it. I don't like it but that's the way it's panning out.
West Roxbury
I don't know of any fan, anywhere for any team, who would predict (in September with a division lead) a 5 game deficit in the standings in less than 30 days when the season is over. Especially without lots of head-to-head games. Especially a squad that has been there before and not wilted under pressure.

It isn't a stretch to see the M's win the division. That doesn't take imagination. But the strident nature of your prediction and this "come see me when it's over" approach is pretty weird for a "fan" of the team.
CoachAg19
AG
The Beef01 said:

TAMUworkingAG said:

The Beef01 said:

TAMUworkingAG said:

I was looking at Mariners schedule and I HATE to say it, but they could win almost every series, with several likely sweeps. Doesn't look good for Astros. Our only hope is for the pitching to get much better, we lost one of our best relievers with Ankle problem which doesnt help at all

Yes l, and I'm correct too, apparently you didn't look at the Mariners schedule did you. They have easiest schedule left compared to Astros, Rangers are done
When Mariners win the conference come back and see me, I think Mariners will have at least a 5 game lead when season is over, come on back and reply here when it happens

Answering here only made it worse…clearly you're not an Astros fan; you've never posted on this thread.

Do you have any idea what would have to transpire for the Mariners to win the division by 5 games?? You're also predicting the team who just lost 4 of 6 to the Mets & Reds to be almost perfect over 16 games against the Rays, Dodgers, Rangers and Astros. (Also, no slip-ups against the A's or Angels)

BTW - There's no metric by which you can defend the "easiest schedule" claim based on that schedule I just gave you.
Several thoughts to add on here...
A) when did baseball switch to conferences? Interesting.
2) So, you think that a schedule that includes TB, LAA, LAD, A's, TEX, HOU, & TEX again is easier than a schedule of SD, A's, KC, BAL, KC again, SEA, & ARI. Have you even watched baseball this year? Or ever?
d) pm me...I'll bet a good amount of money that Seattle does NOT win the division by "at least" 5 games. HA!
BMX Bandit
Quote:

apparently you didn't look at the Mariners schedule did you. They have easiest schedule left compared to Astros
Apparently you didn't.

Seattle remaining SOS: .522 (10th in MLB)
Astros remaining SOS: .445 (28th in MLB)

also, if Astros finish 10-11 (they won't), seattle has to go 16-6 to finish 5 games up. thats a 72% win clip.
BeaumontAg05
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Quote:

apparently you didn't look at the Mariners schedule did you. They have easiest schedule left compared to Astros
Apparently you didn't.

Seattle remaining SOS: .522 (10th in MLB)
Astros remaining SOS: .445 (28th in MLB)

But how many of those are at MMP?
JDUB08AG
AG
You lose all credibility when you say Stanek is one of our best relievers.
Harry Dunne
Harry Dunne
The Beef01 said:

TAMUworkingAG said:

The Beef01 said:

TAMUworkingAG said:

Take it easy bro, Rangers fans have a right to post here.

He's only pretending to be an Astros fan while actually trolling and hoping for us to lose. It's not like he came in here and did something truly offensive, like ask for good places to eat near MMP.
Prosperdick
AG
Harry Dunne said:

The Beef01 said:

TAMUworkingAG said:

The Beef01 said:

TAMUworkingAG said:

Take it easy bro, Rangers fans have a right to post here.

He's only pretending to be an Astros fan while actually trolling and hoping for us to lose. It's not like he came in here and did something truly offensive, like ask for good places to eat near MMP.
Now THAT dude is a donkey for sure...Dusty would be impressed.
Farmer1906
AG
Beat40 said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Honest question, what does a head of baseball operations do. And how is it different than a GM
My guess is all the non roster related stuff. More park related such as vendors, tickets, fan related stuff, etc.

Makes sense to keep team GM and ball park operations separate to me. They are both full time jobs.
Baseball Ops is team focused. I think Crane's son is in charge of the non baseball stuff. He's Senior Vice President, Executive Operations. There is a whole bunch of VPs with teams who handle marketing, ticket sales, foundation, sponsorships, etc.
jetch17
AG
balls, is the game only on Apple TV tonight?
Ag_07
AG
JDUB08AG said:

You lose all credibility when you say Stanek is one of our best relievers.

And to top it off if there was any doubt about his credibility he followed it up with the take that the Mariners are going to win the conference.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Chandler's chubby Chas article…apparently there are plenty fans big mad that he released that and is trying to cause issues.

I have a complete opposite view. I almost think he directly got quotes about this to put dusty on a hot seat to account for why he isn't playing Chas. As in they aren't willing to address him directly but the FO believes it is ridiculous not to play Chas and this is a way to maybe push Dusty's hand.
redline248
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Mike Trout is like "tell me about it!"
redline248
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Chandler's chubby Chas article…apparently there are plenty fans big mad that he released that and is trying to cause issues.

I have a complete opposite view. I almost think he directly got quotes about this to put dusty on a hot seat to account for why he isn't playing Chas. As in they aren't willing to address him directly but the FO believes it is ridiculous not to play Chas and this is a way to maybe push Dusty's hand.
I think there could be some merit to this, and Chandler certainly won't pass on an opportunity to give Dusty sh-t.
texasaggie2015
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Honestly.. it's as simple as he has a job and his job is to address things that interest fans and write about them. Chas' playing time has been a huge talking point. He answered the fan's questions and now they're mad? Some people just love being mad about something.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
That was Sean's take on 790. You can't complain about PT and hate the guy who asks and finds a reason for it.

texasaggie2015
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

It kinda varies organization to organization. But right now Jim Crane is serving in that role. This role typically serves as sort of a bridge between ownership and the GM.

This won't be an issue for Dana Brown as he's been in communication with Crane about all these changes. Some of them have even been his idea.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
Ranger mods were extra sensitive after that massacre. In the rangers thread I responded to someone accusing the Astros of cheathing (because clearly that's the only way the mighty rangers can be defeated) with "bwahahaha". Within two minutes I edited the response and just left it blank because I know how easily they get their panties in a twist over there. That got me a ban.
Marvin
AG
MosesHallRAB04 said:

Ranger mods were extra sensitive after that massacre. In the rangers thread I responded to someone accusing the Astros of cheathing (because clearly that's the only way the mighty rangers can be defeated) with "bwahahaha". Within two minutes I edited the response and just left it blank because I know how easily they get their panties in a twist over there. That got me a ban.

That was probably a deserved vacation., even if you edited it. Some of the other bans were ridiculous, though, I'll agree on that point. I think the goal was to just shut down any type of interaction on a fan-specific thread to avoid the inevitable trash talk that evolves. I think we can agree that someone will always take it too far.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
I'm tempted to post "baseball is fun" on their thread just to see if it gets me banned
Marvin
AG
MosesHallRAB04 said:

I'm tempted to post "baseball is fun" on their thread just to see if it gets me banned

Seeing how the mods just put you in time out, I expect a similar but longer response.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
texasaggie2015
AG
Just stop. Makes us all look bad and is why some of us have been banned for practically nothing
Ag_07
AG
It will. That's trolling

Don't be a troll
Prosperdick
AG
Marvin said:

MosesHallRAB04 said:

That was probably a deserved vacation., even if you edited it. Some of the other bans were ridiculous, though, I'll agree on that point. I think the goal was to just shut down any type of interaction on a fan-specific thread to avoid the inevitable trash talk that evolves. I think we can agree that someone will always take it too far.

I've learned my lesson after a THREE day ban for posting an umpire scorecard with zero commentary over there. It's not worth it, besides, pretty soon there will be zero activity on that thread except for posts rooting for Seattle, especially when they play the rangerettes later this month.
SECcess12
I've been quiet for the most part and limited trash talking, especially broadcasting it elsewhere as we've seen some lows with this team. I still don't trust this team to consistently play games and win, as we've seen in the last two series.

I'm hopeful that we've turned the corner, but I've thought that on 3 or 4 separate occasions this season.
jkag89
I agree. Yes Ranger fan is being overly sensitive over on their thread but deliberate trolling by Astros fans is the reason all Astros fans are seemingly persona non grata anymore. Not that I posted on their threads all that much over the years but occasionally a topic would arise in which I would give my $0.02. Oh wells.
McInnis
AG
I've never been tempted to post on their board and although I'll admit to looking at the trash talking board lately for some chuckles, I really don't like it much either. I think that Aggies bashing each other over pro sports is a bad idea.

Go go Astros and BTHO of Miami.
AustinCountyAg
Furlock Bones said:

PETE2019 said:

Late night off day thought (Paging texasaggie2015 here), do the Astros ever make a run at a big Japanese free agent? Obviously the odds of finding another Ohtani or Ichiro are tiny. Just curious if that's something the front office would consider.

It's hard to attract a Japanese star to Houston for a variety of reasons. 1) The west coast is a much easier flight home. 2) we are not a traditional power like the stanks or bosox. 3) we haven't historically tried to sign big Japanese players.

I wish we could get some of the incredible Japanese players. But I think our best bang for buck is Latin America and Caribbean players where are actually a destination team. Our team culture and city is very Hispanic. So focusing there is best return for the team.
after reading this post, this was all I could think of....Kaz got 3 years 15 million. woof

Ag_07
AG
I thought I remembered that we tried to get Ohtani in for a visit to pitch him but he never made it here. Wanna say we were one of the teams in on him late but never really got any traction.
Mathguy64
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Mathtrodamus here said this weeks ago. I'm so far ahead of the curve I scare myself some times.
First Page Last Page
Page 2194 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.