***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,508,825 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
txags92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sex Panther said:

Project Gemini said:

Dubon has been hot. He's going to play until he goes on a Julks-style campaign at the plate.

Dubon has been hot, and I hate to keep piling on him because he's been a huge help all season... but the frustration is that Chas and Diaz have been hot all year... yet somehow they seem to have trouble consistently cracking the lineup.

I really can't think of another team in the bigs where Chas McCormick would struggle to play as much as he does here. He's earned it and the numbers don't lie... dude is a great player
To be fair to everybody (and I have been a hammering Dusty for his Chas and Diaz decisions as much as anybody), Dubon, Maldonado, and Pena all have a better OPS (over 1.000) over the last 15 days than Chas or Diaz. Tucker is bringing up the rear on this list.

Last 15 days:

JoseAltuve
AB 50
OPS 1.200

YordanAlvarez
AB 47
OPS 1.155

MauricioDubon
AB 35
OPS 1.114

AlexBregman
AB 55
OPS 1.084

MartinMaldonado
AB 27
OPS 1.062

JeremyPena
AB 53
OPS 1.014

YainerDiaz
AB 40
OPS .889

ChasMcCormick
AB 44
OPS .753

MichaelBrantley
AB 16
OPS .750

JoseAbreu
AB 38
OPS .697

KyleTucker
AB 47
OPS .696

W
AG
this is a big game for Brantley tonight

the Astros are facing a tough veteran right-handed pitcher...with a good slider -- similar to the Mariners' starters

need the left-handed sticks to come through
Farmer1906
AG
txags92 said:

Sex Panther said:

Project Gemini said:

Dubon has been hot. He's going to play until he goes on a Julks-style campaign at the plate.

Dubon has been hot, and I hate to keep piling on him because he's been a huge help all season... but the frustration is that Chas and Diaz have been hot all year... yet somehow they seem to have trouble consistently cracking the lineup.

I really can't think of another team in the bigs where Chas McCormick would struggle to play as much as he does here. He's earned it and the numbers don't lie... dude is a great player
To be fair to everybody (and I have been a hammering Dusty for his Chas and Diaz decisions as much as anybody), Dubon, Maldonado, and Pena all have a better OPS (over 1.000) over the last 15 days than Chas or Diaz. Tucker is bringing up the rear on this list.

Last 15 days:

JoseAltuve
AB 50
OPS 1.200

YordanAlvarez
AB 47
OPS 1.155

MauricioDubon
AB 35
OPS 1.114

AlexBregman
AB 55
OPS 1.084

MartinMaldonado
AB 27
OPS 1.062

JeremyPena
AB 53
OPS 1.014

YainerDiaz
AB 40
OPS .889

ChasMcCormick
AB 44
OPS .753

MichaelBrantley
AB 16
OPS .750

JoseAbreu
AB 38
OPS .697

KyleTucker
AB 47
OPS .696

Who do you think will have a higher OPS the next 15 days?
Ag_07
AG
BTKAG97 said:

Why is Pena batting 2nd? - Not an issue. Pena has bounced back and slowly increased his production and I see no issue with this
Why is Bregman batting 4th? Not an issue. Bregman has been absolutely on fire and I see no issue with this
Why is Tucker batting 5th? I like him batting higher but it's not a big deal
Why is Abreu batting 6th? Eh...Ok I guess
Why are Dubon and Maldonado batting? Dubon has been knocking the cover off the ball so I'm not mad at it.
Why are McCormick and Diaz not batting? This is the big issue for me. He has to find a way to get AT LEAST one of these two in the lineup.
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

BTKAG97 said:

Why is Pena batting 2nd? - Not an issue. Pena has bounced back and slowly increased his production and I see no issue with this
Why is Bregman batting 4th? Not an issue. Bregman has been absolutely on fire and I see no issue with this
Why are Dubon and Maldonado batting? Dubon has been knocking the cover off the ball so I'm not mad at it.
Why are McCormick and Diaz not batting? This is the big issue for me. He has to find a way to get AT LEAST one of these two in the lineup.

Pena 2nd. Issue because he only semi fits there if he stays red hot. If he's not then you force someone like like Tucker to 5th. The 2 hole is supposed to be your best hitter.
W
AG
Chas has a whopping 1.325 OPS vs. the Rangers this year

13 for 31 with 8 x-base hits and 4 walks

he's crushed them
txags92
AG
Farmer1906 said:

txags92 said:

Sex Panther said:

Project Gemini said:

Last 15 days:

JoseAltuve
AB 50
OPS 1.200

YordanAlvarez
AB 47
OPS 1.155

MauricioDubon
AB 35
OPS 1.114

AlexBregman
AB 55
OPS 1.084

MartinMaldonado
AB 27
OPS 1.062

JeremyPena
AB 53
OPS 1.014

YainerDiaz
AB 40
OPS .889

ChasMcCormick
AB 44
OPS .753

MichaelBrantley
AB 16
OPS .750

JoseAbreu
AB 38
OPS .697

KyleTucker
AB 47
OPS .696

Won't be Chas or Diaz if they are sitting on the bench. I am not saying Dusty is making all the right calls by a longshot, but Diaz and Chas have more ABs than Dubon and Maldy over the last two weeks. But Maldy and Dubon have been hot, so I am not heartbroken at seeing them in the lineup if they stay that way. Maldy has more HRs than Diaz in fewer at bats during that stretch. Not going to stay that way long term, but it has worked out here recently.
rosco511
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Ag_07 said:

BTKAG97 said:

Pena 2nd. Issue because he only semi fits there if he stays red hot. If he's not then you force someone like like Tucker to 5th. The 2 hole is supposed to be your best hitter.

Wait, I thought the 2 hole hitter is supposed to be a slap hitter who can hit behind the runner on a hit and run and bunt…says every old school baseball manager
W
AG
against a better fielding shortstop...

Abreu hits into 2 or 3 GiDP's last night

he was a ground ball machine yesterday
Beat40
Problem is tonight could be the night when they start to go cold, especially against one of the best pitchers in the game.
Prosperdick
AG
redline248 said:

Speaking of Abreu, he is not back. Last 6 games .143/.250/.286, 51 wRC+

Tucker, who has been struggling in his last 7, is still .217/.367/.261, 79 wRC+
But Donkey gives chance after chance after chance because he's a veteran...at some point you have to just say his back ain't right, he needs more rest so lets get Diaz at first who can actually punish a mistake.

If you are a veteran or a favorite pet (Julks and to a lesser extent Singleton) you get EVERY benefit of the doubt and Donkey will find or make up a stat to justify it.

ALERT: I'm not trying to be a savant...just a logical observation based on looking incredulously at lineups all year.
Chef Elko
AG
redline248 said:

Speaking of Abreu, he is not back. Last 6 games .143/.250/.286, 51 wRC+

Tucker, who has been struggling in his last 7, is still .217/.367/.261, 79 wRC+
I bet teams would have success putting an outfielder on the edge on the infield during Abreu at bats
txags92
AG
Beat40 said:

Problem is tonight could be the night when they start to go cold, especially against one of the best pitchers in the game.
Could be. Not defending the decisions going forward, but in hindsight, they were not as bad over the last 2 weeks as people would like to believe.
Beau Holder
AG
Jays lose in Oakland.
AgLA06
AG
Farmer1906 said:

txags92 said:

Sex Panther said:

Project Gemini said:

Last 15 days:

JoseAltuve
AB 50
OPS 1.200

YordanAlvarez
AB 47
OPS 1.155

MauricioDubon
AB 35
OPS 1.114

AlexBregman
AB 55
OPS 1.084

MartinMaldonado
AB 27
OPS 1.062

JeremyPena
AB 53
OPS 1.014

YainerDiaz
AB 40
OPS .889

ChasMcCormick
AB 44
OPS .753

MichaelBrantley
AB 16
OPS .750

JoseAbreu
AB 38
OPS .697

KyleTucker
AB 47
OPS .696

It's almost like you play better when you get to play regularly.
Farmer1906
AG
AgLA06 said:

Farmer1906 said:

txags92 said:

Sex Panther said:

Project Gemini said:

Last 15 days:

JoseAltuve
AB 50
OPS 1.200

YordanAlvarez
AB 47
OPS 1.155

MauricioDubon
AB 35
OPS 1.114

AlexBregman
AB 55
OPS 1.084

MartinMaldonado
AB 27
OPS 1.062

JeremyPena
AB 53
OPS 1.014

YainerDiaz
AB 40
OPS .889

ChasMcCormick
AB 44
OPS .753

MichaelBrantley
AB 16
OPS .750

JoseAbreu
AB 38
OPS .697

KyleTucker
AB 47
OPS .696

Yea and no. Maldy played pretty regularly all season and sucks. Anyone can look good over a small sample. Look how Keke took over a postseason run for Boston. George went from zero to hero. Altuve is an all time who forgot how to hit last October. Zoom out a little the you'll see who's better.
Wabs
AG
No Chas and Diaz is letting the Rangers off the mat. ****ing BS Dusty.
gambochaman
AG
The jays lose
txags92
AG
AgLA06 said:

Farmer1906 said:

txags92 said:

Sex Panther said:

Project Gemini said:

Last 15 days:

JoseAltuve
AB 50
OPS 1.200

YordanAlvarez
AB 47
OPS 1.155

MauricioDubon
AB 35
OPS 1.114

AlexBregman
AB 55
OPS 1.084

MartinMaldonado
AB 27
OPS 1.062

JeremyPena
AB 53
OPS 1.014

YainerDiaz
AB 40
OPS .889

ChasMcCormick
AB 44
OPS .753

MichaelBrantley
AB 16
OPS .750

JoseAbreu
AB 38
OPS .697

KyleTucker
AB 47
OPS .696

By "play regularly", do you mean "get fewer at bats"?

MauricioDubon
AB 35
OPS 1.114

Vs

ChasMcCormick
AB 44
OPS .753

Or...

MartinMaldonado
AB 27
OPS 1.062

Vs

YainerDiaz
AB 40
OPS .889
Beau Holder
AG
Wabs said:

No Chas and Diaz is letting the Rangers off the mat. ****ing BS Dusty.

Dusty got gifted his ring and now he's collecting checks. Why would he care about facts over his feelings?
Boiling Denim
Maybe these guys are just on a blinding heater but I see more than half this lineup being overmatched against Scherzer tonight.

Verlander better keep the ball in the damn park this time
Bob Lee
AG
Farmer1906 said:

txags92 said:

Sex Panther said:

Project Gemini said:

Last 15 days:

JoseAltuve
AB 50
OPS 1.200

YordanAlvarez
AB 47
OPS 1.155

MauricioDubon
AB 35
OPS 1.114

AlexBregman
AB 55
OPS 1.084

MartinMaldonado
AB 27
OPS 1.062

JeremyPena
AB 53
OPS 1.014

YainerDiaz
AB 40
OPS .889

ChasMcCormick
AB 44
OPS .753

MichaelBrantley
AB 16
OPS .750

JoseAbreu
AB 38
OPS .697

KyleTucker
AB 47
OPS .696

Know how I know Dusty is fully aware that Diaz is a better offensive player than Maldonado?

I've never seen him pinch hit Maldy for Diaz. Where does Maldy hit in the order vs. Diaz? He knows, and pretends not to know and that's the worst part. He thinks we're idiots.

Feeling's mutual I guess.
Prosperdick
AG
Beau Holder said:

Jays lose in Oakland.
Don't look now but the A's are playing .500 ball their last 10 games which is considerably better than their record indicates. I hope they can keep it up against the Rangerettes.
Mathguy64
AG
I'm just going to go on record and say I haven't complained once today about a lineup.

I'm just here for the tits.

EastCoastAgNc
AG

Well we all know what he did to celebrate
cap-n-jack
Don't you need to be teaching algebra or reffing soccer instead of mining for tits?
That gal is hotter than a $2 pistol.
Mathguy64
AG
cap-n-jack said:

Don't you need to be teaching algebra or reffing soccer instead of mining for tits?
That gal is hotter than a $2 pistol.
Nope. Like the Louis Armstrong song says, I have all the time in the world.
jetch17
AG
Lordy
mAgnoliAg
AG
I told y'all all yesterday after dusty said Brantley would play today that chas and yainer would be on the bench

Sucks to see that I was right
jetch17
AG
Uncle Mike goin yard twice tonight
txags92
AG
mAgnoliAg said:

I told y'all all yesterday after dusty said Brantley would play today that chas and yainer would be on the bench

Can you tell us that Scherzer won't last through 4 innings today too? Just in case?
mAgnoliAg
AG
txags92 said:

mAgnoliAg said:

Can you tell us that Scherzer won't last through 4 innings today too? Just in case?

Unfortunately no
Prosperdick
AG
mAgnoliAg said:

As much as it pisses me off seeing guys with those OPS's riding the pine can we all just take a step back and appreciate we have Uncle F***ING Mike back and contributing!!!

I mean, what's the equivalent trade deadline pickup? I'd say Cody Bellinger, who is still raking but think of what we would have to give up to get him...we get Uncle Mike for free (relatively speaking...Crane would have something to say).

People think I'm Mr. Negative but I'm trying to be positive here, Brantley raking for us can mean SO MUCH going forward.
txags92
AG
Prosperdick said:

mAgnoliAg said:

As much as it pisses me off seeing guys with those OPS's riding the pine can we all just take a step back and appreciate we have Uncle F***ING Mike back and contributing!!!

I mean, what's the equivalent trade deadline pickup? I'd say Cody Bellinger, who is still raking but think of what we would have to give up to get him...we get Uncle Mike for free (relatively speaking...Crane would have something to say).

People think I'm Mr. Negative but I'm trying to be positive here, Brantley raking for us can mean SO MUCH going forward.
I would be more excited about having Uncle Mike back in the lineup if it meant Dubon or Abreu was sitting out instead of Chas or Diaz, but no question, having him back in the dugout and hitting well when called on is a big plus for the stretch run.
Prosperdick
AG
I'd say Abreu because Dubon actually is hot right now. Jose is either past his prime (older than his birth certificate states) or he needs to rest his back. We don't need a double play machine smack dab in the middle of the lineup but what do I know.
First Page Last Page
Page 2165 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.