***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,508,765 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Faustus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MAT said:

Rangers post game just said Altuve may be the best offensive 2nd baseman of all time.
Another thing they mentioned that confirmed what we've been seeing watching the games is that Bregman has had the most pitches outside the zone called a strike this season, with 71 (or so, I don't recall the exact number mentioned apart from it being in the 70s).

I have no clue where to look to find that stat online.

As an aside it's funny that when we play the Rangers my DVR always opts to record their broadcast rather than ours. It's fine since all I usually hear are our homers, but that's why I got their post-game in the background.
Beat40
Farmer1906 said:

We continue to do about 80% of what we should. Eventually that won't be enough.
And I guarantee Chas and Diaz are in the game during post season. Frustrating one of the top offensive performers sits in favor of a guy who "might" save a double in CF.

Chas and Diaz not getting the playing time they've earned is just wild. They would be in the everyday line-up for at least 27 other teams.
linkdude
AG
Just you wait until next year! You'll thank Dusty
Beat40
Ag_07 said:

So Diaz is really gonna go all series with just what 4 ABs?

Good grief
One thing I know is Dusty is gone next season, and I'm 75% sure Maldy isn't with the Astros next year unless it's in a backup role.
AggiEE
Mose Schrute said:

Mr President Elect said:

Chazzy Pizzed!

Wtf ???

Is Dubon starting every game now?

Ffs this lineup sucks
The D
AG
I mean this team is good enough to win without Chas or Diaz, but we are just playing with fire at this point.

What goes into Dusty's ****ing head when he is making these decisions ?
Project Gemini
AG
Dubon has been hot. He's going to play until he goes on a Julks-style campaign at the plate.
gambochaman
AG

DUSTY

BAKER
Phrasing
AG
It's not like we are facing a first ballot HOF pitcher today and need our best bats or anything.....oh wait.....
Farmer1906
AG
Beat40 said:

Farmer1906 said:

And I guarantee Chas and Diaz are in the game during post season. Frustrating one of the top offensive performers sits in favor of a guy who "might" save a double in CF.

Chas and Diaz not getting the playing time they've earned is just wild. They would be in the everyday line-up for at least 27 other teams.

You know that isn't a guarantee. Not even close. I'd almost guarantee the opposite. Diaz isn't catching JV or Framber for the first time in the postseason u less Naldy is hurt. Now enough people outside of Astros fans have picked up on it and are laughing their ass off at Dusty's refusal to play great players.
BTKAG97
AG
Why is Pena batting 2nd?
Why is Bregman batting 4th?
Why is Tucker batting 5th?
Why is Abreu batting 6th?
Why are Dubon and Maldonado batting?
Why are McCormick and Diaz not batting?

Way too many questions regarding that lineup.
Eso si, Que es
Beat40 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Which 2 teams have 3 better outfielders than Chaz? Which ones have a better catcher, DH, and 1st baseman, than Diaz?
Mr.Ackar07
Mathguy64 said:

BadAggie said:

HarryRocket said:

Diaz compared to the Vegas favorite to win ROY.

Dusty has quite literally kept the ROY award from Diaz.

Peña last year and Diaz this year, out of the worst farm system in the league.

I said this a couple of days ago. Thats a big deal. Being ROY gives the team a compensation pick and it gives the player service time to get to arbitration faster.
Only prospects that appear on Top 100 lists qualify their team for an extra pick if they earn ROY honors. Only Hunter Brown meets that qualification for the Astros this year. Diaz and France were not on any Top 100 lists (MLB.com, Baseball America or ESPN) and thus do not qualify.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/news/mlb-prospect-promotion-incentive-rookie-year-cba/ja5ts8eaxcuv85xujnzriafb#:~:text=It%20comes%20down%20to%20capital,finishers%20earn%20an%20international%20pick.

Quote:

Players who win Rookie of the Year earn their team an amateur draft pick "after the first round," and second- or third-place finishers earn an international pick.
Quote:

Players must be Top 100 in two of the lists compiled by MLB.com, Baseball America or ESPN to qualify.

They also must be legitimate rookies, which means they have 60 days or fewer of MLB service.
Players must spend 172 days on an active roster, so that means they need to be called up no later than two weeks after opening day as the season is only 187 days.
gougler08
AG
Ag_07 said:

Good grief

Just saving him for the weekend right?
Farmer1906
AG
Diaz was on the top 100 of at least 1. Idk about another.

https://www.si.com/mlb/astros/news/houston-astros-land-two-prospects-top-100-list
redline248
AG
I think it's safe to say Chas is only going to play 50% of the remaining games. Since Brantley's first game back this year, on August 29, tonight will be the Astros 8th game. Chas played in 4 of them. In fact, he doesn't even have enough PA to "qualify" in that time.

Diaz, similarly, has played in 5 games since Brantley's return, but only started 4 of them. He also does not have enough PA to qualify in that span. Both have exactly 18 PA

So that is 2 guys with OPS over .840 that sit on the bench 50% of the time for a team fighting to win a close division race.
Mr.Ackar07
Farmer1906 said:

Diaz was on the top 100 of at least 1. Idk about another.

https://www.si.com/mlb/astros/news/houston-astros-land-two-prospects-top-100-list
He wasn't on MLB or ESPN

https://www.yardbarker.com/mlb/articles/record_14_players_eligible_for_mlbs_prospect_promotion_incentive/s1_13132_38644654

Quote:

This year's Opening Day rosters featured a record 14 players eligible for the Prospect Promotion Incentive.

The list is below, alphabetically:

• Hunter Brown, RHP, Astros.
  • Cade Cavalli, RHP, Nationals.
  • Corbin Carroll, OF, Diamondbacks.
  • Triston Casas, 1B, Red Sox.
  • Oscar Colas, OF, White Sox.
  • Gunnar Henderson, 3B, Orioles.
  • Josh Jung, 3B, Rangers.
  • Logan O'Hoppe, C, Angels.
  • Ryan Pepiot, RHP, Dodgers.
  • Ezequiel Tovar, SS, Rockies.
  • Miguel Vargas, 2B, Dodgers.
  • Anthony Volpe, SS, Yankees.
  • Ken Waldichuk, LHP, A's.
  • Jordan Walker, OF, Cardinals.

redline248
AG
Project Gemini said:

Dubon has been hot. He's going to play until he goes on a Julks-style campaign at the plate.
You know who else has been hot in the same time frame? Yainer and Chas. Both still OPS-ing higher than Dubon. Why aren't they afforded the same opportunity as a hot Dubon?
Sex Panther
AG
Project Gemini said:

Dubon has been hot, and I hate to keep piling on him because he's been a huge help all season... but the frustration is that Chas and Diaz have been hot all year... yet somehow they seem to have trouble consistently cracking the lineup.

I really can't think of another team in the bigs where Chas McCormick would struggle to play as much as he does here. He's earned it and the numbers don't lie... dude is a great player
texasaggie2015
AG
BTKAG97 said:

Why is Pena batting 2nd?

To be fair... the bolded things happened yesterday and they scored 14 runs.
BTKAG97
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

BTKAG97 said:

Why is Pena batting 2nd?

I thank Altuve.
aggie813
Let's just get this month over with, hopefully win the division. Be the #2 seed and let Dana set the line-up for the postseason.
texasaggie2015
AG
He was responsible for about 20% of the runs.

Again, I'm not a Dusty guy. Just being rational. Something worked and might as well run it back....

...with Chas and Diaz in the lineup as well.
OKCAg2002
AG
Ag_07 said:

Good grief

Just wait until the postseason! Diaz won't play the first two games at least.
AgLA06
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Now, now. Didn't you pay attention to the lectures today.
BTKAG97
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

He was responsible for about 20% of the runs.

Again, I'm not a Dusty guy. Just being rational. Something worked and might as well run it back....

...with Chas and Diaz in the lineup as well.
It's also rational to question that line-up every day regardless how many hits and runs it put up the day before.

In addition, the team has already stated the offiense centers around Altuve. "How he goes, the team goes." If he is having a bad day, the line-up cannot be filled with question marks.
Phrasing
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

BTKAG97 said:

Why is Pena batting 2nd?

Yes, but 14 runs against Eovoldi who was rushed back off the IL and hadn't pitched in forever. Might need to pull out the big guns for Mad Max.
AgLA06
AG
Beat40 said:

Ag_07 said:

Good grief
One thing I know is Dusty is gone next season, and I'm 75% sure Maldy isn't with the Astros next year unless it's in a backup role.

I'm fine making him a coach and bullpen catcher. He does have great experience, knowledge, and planning. He just has no business playing more than 20% of the games in a year.
texasaggie2015
AG
......and I literally said Chas and Diaz should be in the lineup.
Beat40
texasaggie2015 said:

BTKAG97 said:

Why is Pena batting 2nd?

AND the top three things happened the entire
second half of last year, including the postseason where the WS was won. Those top three questions concern me much less than Chas not playing nearly enough and Diaz only getting 4 ABs against the Rangers.
Phrasing
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

......and I literally said Chas and Diaz should be in the lineup.
LOL - Sorry! Was writing that, got distracted and didn't read the thread before posting- my bad amigo!
W
AG
so Yainer only plays once every 3 games?

and Abreu plays every night?

pure insanity

just awful
redline248
AG
Speaking of Abreu, he is not back. Last 6 games .143/.250/.286, 51 wRC+

Tucker, who has been struggling in his last 7, is still .217/.367/.261, 79 wRC+
Beat40
Eso si, Que es said:

Beat40 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Which 2 teams have 3 better outfielders than Chaz? Which ones have a better catcher, DH, and 1st baseman, than Diaz?

To be fair, I was giving myself some wiggle room because I don't off the top of my head know the catcher and entire OF situation of all the teams currently in the running for postseason.
Beau Holder
AG
A's got to Ryu and are up 5-2 on Toronto late.
First Page Last Page
Page 2164 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.