***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,509,554 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
DoitBest
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
blummer...
Wabs
AG
Win one for Blummer!!
The Porkchop Express
AG
tjack16 said:

Reminds me of an WGN legendary clip of prime Harry Caray when the Cubs had tied a game up but Bonds led off the next inning for the Pirates. Harry's call was

Fly ball ... right field ... aw crap."
BadAggie
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

No blum

A call to the Rooms To Go Lounge

All I do is Nguyen
EastCoastAgNc
AG

That poor pole...
BadAggie
AG
annie88 said:

JohnLA762 said:

But for the record, I do hate Dusty!
I'm getting that feeling.

But the idea that he's trying to hurt the Astros or lose is just dumb.

Stubborn, sure, but deliberate, no.

Intent or not that is the result.

Frok
AG
No update on Stanek yet?

I'm holding out hope that it wasn't major enough to end his year. No update yet makes me think that is less likely.

Farmer1906
AG
Dusty will probably give some kind of update around 3. I doubt we'll get much more info besides ankle injury. Looked like a sprain to me. No idea about the severity.
BadAggie
AG
Hope injury not major but Stanek has not been good this season

bearkatag15
AG
Dusty on 790 right now said the ankle is not broken and it's not swollen that bad
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
BadAggie
AG
Elsewhere today:

Reds are starting a AAA pitcher versus Seattle.

Blue Jays are playing the A's.

Eflin is starting for the Rays v Red Sox.

FrioAg 00
AG
I don't know the story behind the Reds move - they are right there in the wildcard competition. Are they down a pitcher? Is this kid THAT good?

texasaggie2015
AG
A lot of times you're better off breaking your ankle than suffering a high ankle sprain
2ndChanceAg96
AG
Good or not we need arms in the bullpen.
BadAggie
AG
We got some momentum Dusty don't kill it

scrimp
AG
Dusty is who he is at this point--no reason to expect a 74 year old dude to change his mind. Over his entire managerial career he has been somewhere between agnostic to aggressively anti toward sabermetrics, overused pitchers, had teams that seemed to collapse in critical moments, and had stints that ended with strained relationships with the team owner.

Look at his stops--he was fired immediately after taking the Giants to the WS, fired after a steady 4 year decline with the Cubs, fired after a NLDS loss and NLWC loss with the Reds, and fired after winning the NL East but losing the NLDS twice with Washington.

That being said, his players seem to love him in general, and he seems to be well respected by the baseball community.

Regardless of the outcome of this season, I think a change is warranted. Astros have been an analytic driven team. Dusty is a "protect the veterans" type manager. This is trying to shove a square through a circle hole.
Project Gemini
AG
Stanton loves playing with his bat and balls on the air. Poor TK is going to have to drag him along for a few hours, hope he gets himself a warmup cocktail before reporting to work.
Frok
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Dusty on 790 right now said the ankle is not broken and it's not swollen that bad

I bet he wishes it was Chas that rolled his ankle
BadAggie
AG
HEY DUSTY

1836er
AG
Ag_07 said:

Rather have Julia
This.

I like Stanton in the role he plays pregame/postgame with his props, but if Blummer's unavailable I'd prefer to have T.K. and Julia fill the space like they did yesterday... rather than have someone come in and try to play the classic "color analyst" role on the fly.

If we were gonna be without Blummer for a whole week or two maybe bring in someone... but for only a few games I thought the innings where T.K. and Julia teamed up yesterday went really smoothly.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Bear with me, and of course **** Dusty, but what if Montero (knock on wood) keeps doing what he has been doing for his last 25 appearance.

Do we credit Dusty but also still **** Dusty
txags11
AG
I coached the kid in JH/HS in football, I think from talking with baseball coaches that are up there to see his debut, I think the reds have a few Covid players so he got the call. He's got pretty damn good stuff so I am hopeful it'll be a good outing.
The Porkchop Express
AG
If you guys need a break from reminding yourselves that you don't like Dusty Baker, here's 39 glorious minutes of Bill Murray filling in for Harry Caray on a Cubs' broadcast in 1987.

He really starts hearing up around the 4:30 mark when he does the lineups.

Ciboag96
Me waiting on the lineup

AgLA06
AG
Do you hate yourself that much!?!?
BadAggie
AG
Wabs
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

Bear with me, and of course **** Dusty, but what if Montero (knock on wood) keeps doing what he has been doing for his last 25 appearance.

Do we credit Dusty but also still **** Dusty
I'm going with still **** Dusty
Beau Holder
AG
Stanek "probably" a high ankle sprain and Mushinski recalled.
FrioAg 00
AG
txags11 said:

I coached the kid in JH/HS in football, I think from talking with baseball coaches that are up there to see his debut, I think the reds have a few Covid players so he got the call. He's got pretty damn good stuff so I am hopeful it'll be a good outing.

Thank you. And I really love TexAgs.
Wabs
AG
FrioAg 00 said:

I don't know the story behind the Reds move - they are right there in the wildcard competition. Are they down a pitcher? Is this kid THAT good?

He's a friend of mine's son. Went to Magnolia West and LSU. My buddy is pretty pumped right now.

ETA: he committed to LSU but was drafted.
AgLA06
AG
Hopefully he called in sick and got on a plane.

I can't imagine what he must be feeling. I'm on tilt just caddying for my daughter in local golf tournaments. And she's 8 with no expectations from me other than to gain some mental toughness and a life skill.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Wabs said:

FrioAg 00 said:

He's a friend of mine's son. Went to Magnolia West and LSU. My buddy is pretty pumped right now.
You could do a great documentary or a series of some kind on MLB debuts and the stories behind them - what looks like a start spot or a call-up for an injury to most people is this momentous, career-choice-affirming moment in the sun for them and the people around them., even if it only lasts a day in some cases.
Wabs
AG
AgLA06 said:

I can't imagine what he must be feeling. I'm on tilt just caddying for my daughter in local golf tournaments. And she's 8 with no expectations from me other than to gain some mental toughness and a life skill.
He texted and said he just landed.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Wabs said:

AgLA06 said:

He texted and said he just landed.
Keep us posted. The parents that support their kids 1000 % and share the moment are the best kind. The sports parents who think everyone is against their kid (and by proxy, them) are the subject of the book I've always wanted to write.
First Page Last Page
Page 2131 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.