***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,512,913 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
W said:

so the big series between the Astros and Rangers...

is not for the West division title

it's for playoff survival

especially if the Blue Jays take care of business vs. the A's

Go Athletics
We are 1 game out (really 2 games due to tie breakers) of the division lead. Mariners could easily go on a 2 game skid and we can easily sweep the Rangers. The division race should still be the target.
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
tjack16
AG
If the Rangers win the series or sweep, we fall back to 3rd

If we beat the Rangers 2/3 or sweep, we will put them out of the wild card and potentially be in first.

Let's see if Dusty cares or not and puts the best 9 in the lineup
txag614
bearkatag15 said:

My only hope is IF we get in the playoffs, the front office will take on a much bigger role in building the lineups each day. Dusty's lineup decisions will be overruled.

This needs to already happen.

All momentum torpedoed by this dumb **** manager.
mwm
Hey, Mr. Crane.

How do you like seeing your investment being squandered?
JDUB08AG
AG
tjack16 said:

If the Rangers win the series or sweep, we fall back to 3rd

If we beat the Rangers 2/3 or sweep, we will put them out of the wild card and potentially be in first.

Let's see if Dusty cares or not and puts the best 9 in the lineup

Dusty is dug in. I honestly think he would rather prove others wrong than put the best out there. He has his ring.
Prosperdick
AG
You know how great managers (not just in sports but in all facets) put their people in positions to succeed.

Donkey does the exact f***ing opposite.

Hey Abreu, got a bad back and you're obviously not hitting very well...I'm gonna stick you in the 5th hole to make sure your failure really shines!

Hey Maldy, you're old and way past your prime and one of the worst positional hitters of all-time, you're starting 80% of the games behind the plate so we can all marvel at your incompetence.

Hey Pena, you're struggling and dealing with personal issues, no worries, I'm going to stick you in the 2 hole so each strike out and double play is magnified.

Hey Julks, first time in the show and you're clearly out of your depth, I'm gonna let you wear an 0-38 stretch to completely destroy your confidence so you can't even hit in the minors anymore.

Hey Singleton, you're struggling big time but let me pinch hit for 5th best hitter in a critical situation so we can hang a loss on your ass.

Hey Chas, I know you're raking and kicking ass and a big reason I've got a ring on my old crusty finger but I'm going to bench you the first 2 games of the year and whenever you start to get hot I'll be sure to sit your ass on the bench until you lose your timing.

Hey Diaz, I know you worked your ass off to improve yourself defensively and you're hitting a ton but we just can't have you behind the plate more than once a week and oh, you hit a 2 run bomb last night, straight to the bench you go.

I could on but I'm tired. TLDR F*** YOU DONKEY!!!!
West Roxbury
Seriously, put the team up at the Marriott Marquis downtown until they start winning at home. No trips to your house or condo, damnit.
Frok
AG
Man what a letdown this weekend was. Feels like the era is on the verge of ending
Billy Baroo
AG
"We've been there and done that for a long time -- the past seven years," said closer Ryan Pressly, who secured his 29th save. "I think this is kind of when we turn it on. This team, we're built to win championships and to go deep in the playoffs. We know what it takes to get there and we've just got to string good innings and good at-bats together, and just keep doing what we're doing right now and things will take off."

Was reminded of this quote from just last week as I watched us go out with a whimper against yet another less talented team at home.
W
AG
if the Blue Jays sweep the A's...

then the loser of the Astros-Rangers series falls behind Toronto by 1 or 2 games

(depending upon tiebreaker status)
Mathguy64
AG
Being swept by Arlington would be a nightmare and probably seal this team's fate. Not only would it mean losing 3 games in the standings it would mean losing the tiebreaker to them. And that would be the last tiebreaker of consequence. Rays. Jays. Seattle. Texas. All of them.
bearkatag15
AG
W said:

then the loser of the Astros-Rangers series falls behind Toronto by 1 or 2 games

Ok, then after the Royals they end the season with 19 games vs the Yankees (6), Rays (6), Red Sox (3) and Rangers (4).

Much harder schedule than anyone else in the wild card race.
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
Prosperdick
AG
W said:

All I have to say is THANK GOD for the Aggies as Donkey has made me close to just checking out...I love baseball but that motherf*cker has just done me in.
W
AG
yes, it would be staggering for this Astros team to miss the playoffs with at least 8 elite or all-star caliber players

Verlander, Framber. B.Abreu, Pressly, Altuve, Bregman, Yordan, and Tucker

plus Brantley, Chas, Yainer, and Neris
BadAggie
AG
Billy Baroo said:

"We've been there and done that for a long time -- the past seven years," said closer Ryan Pressly, who secured his 29th save. "I think this is kind of when we turn it on. This team, we're built to win championships and to go deep in the playoffs. We know what it takes to get there and we've just got to string good innings and good at-bats together, and just keep doing what we're doing right now and things will take off."

Was reminded of this quote from just last week as I watched us go out with a whimper against yet another less talented team at home.

Yep. Entire team seems to have this flip the switch mindset. Dusty feeds this everyday.

You run out of time at some point.

Astros scored 7 runs in 3 games v Yankees, garbage
tjack16
AG
If we're being honest… the game was lost on Altuve's double play.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
bearkatag15 said:

W said:

so the big series between the Astros and Rangers...

is not for the West division title

it's for playoff survival

especially if the Blue Jays take care of business vs. the A's

Go Athletics
We are 1 game out (really 2 games due to tie breakers) of the division lead. Mariners could easily go on a 2 game skid and we can easily sweep the Rangers. The division race should still be the target.

That's kind of the point though. The way this season has gone and we still could have a 12+ game lead in this division just by taking care of our own house. Everything the same with the rest of the west, just our games we could have a double digit lead but instead we trail in the division and haven't lead once
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Prosperdick said:

W said:

All I have to say is THANK GOD for the Aggies as Donkey has made me close to just checking out...I love baseball but that motherf*cker has just done me in.

I don't drink at all, but he's made me strongly consider taking up alcoholism as a hobby
gambochaman
AG
tjack16 said:

If we're being honest… the game was lost on Altuve's double play.

This game was lost when Dusty released the lineup card
maca1028
agproducer
AG
Complete ass tonight. Just a pathetic effort. This team is so frustrating. It's not just Dusty. We play down to our competition. We got swept. At home. By a sub .500 team playing a ton of rookies.
BadAggie
AG
mwm said:

Hey, Mr. Crane.

How do you like seeing your investment being squandered?

Crane's not going to do jack.

Firing Dusty, regardless of deserving it, would be rather bad optics and he's going to stick it out.

agdaddy04
AG
agproducer said:

Complete ass tonight. Just a pathetic effort. This team is so frustrating. It's not just Dusty. We play down to our competition. We got swept. At home. By a sub .500 team playing a ton of rookies.

But it is the way Dusty constructs a lineup.
AgHawkeye
AG
I'm sorry. I have been super busy with weeding and kids this weekend. Can somebody give me cliff notes on the Dusty Chas thing? WTH
maroonpivo
AG
This isn't a team. They don't even seem excited to be around each other- definitely tensions brewing in the clubhouse all around.
cc10106
2-9 @ home since the last Angels series with a playoff spot dangling by a thread is unacceptable. Heads need to roll.
Dies Irae
Lineup will suck tomorrow as well
Satellite of Love
So Dusty does know that rested players doesn't mean squat if they don't make the playoffs, right?
tjack16
AG
maca1028 said:

We'd be thanking him later…. In German
tjack16
AG
So this has been an interesting 2 week stretch

We opened by getting swept at home by Seattle. Split against Boston at home. Went 5-1 on a road trip. Then got swept at home

All while staying within 2 games of first place but never claiming first place.
Big Al 1992
AG
The ESPN guys said this at the end of the broadcast looking at remaining schedules - Dusty told them - "we're OK to let Texas and Seattle beat each other up and maybe that'll let us sneak in"
No you washed up toothpick eating has been. You win. You don't f'n sneak in. You play your best players. You give your team the best chance for success every game. You don't let your fate rest on what other teams do.
BadAggie
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

The ESPN guys said this at the end of the broadcast looking at remaining schedules - Dusty told them - "we're OK to let Texas and Seattle beat each other up and maybe that'll let us sneak in"
No you washed up toothpick eating has been. You win. You don't f'n sneak in. You play your best players. You give your team the best chance for success every game.

Just a bizarre mindset. The division title is there for the taking and absolutely no sense of urgency.
BadAggie
AG
Satellite of Love said:

So Dusty does know that rested players doesn't mean squat if they don't make the playoffs, right?

But he'll ace the end of year employee evaluations.
BadAggie
AG
Prosperdick said:

W said:

Script has flipped from last year perhaps
KC_Ag14
AG
Prosperdick said:

W said:

It's malpractice that he can't manage this lineup. Utter disgrace.
First Page Last Page
Page 2100 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.