***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,493,024 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

astros4545 said:

Yep

Dusty was ahead of the sabermetrics when he was starting Niko Goodrum in the 3 hole

Pure genius
Thanks for making my point for me.
I think most of us realize that there is a lot behind the scenes about sports teams we don't know, but that means we can ONLY comment on the actual games. However, there is zero amount of behind the scenes managing that makes up for how he used Niko while on the roster.

Also, the bottom line is winning matters. A lot. Dusty didn't torpedo 21 or 22, and was - in my opinion - a real help coming out of the cheating news. Things are looking a lot more precarious this year, and we can all argue how much of that is due to Dusty. But teams as equally good as this one, or close to it, have fired him for not getting over the hump, regardless of how well he handles all the non-game stuff.
CFTXAG10
AG
Anyone currently using a VPN to watch the Astros in Houston got a company they would recommend? TIA

Edit to add: I'd be using mlb app to watch games
linkdude
AG
How much of this is in the last 7 years (and how high could it be without 2011-13)
Rule#2
AG
We don't need the lineup of death every night. Just play Yainer Diaz….period.
AggiEE
Rule#2 said:

We don't need the lineup of death every night. Just play Yainer Diaz….period.

He runs around the bases too much and struggles against lefties and righties depending on the day of the week
Farmer1906
AG
Bye bye

Ciboag96
JDUB08AG said:

At least 1-4 is locked and loaded. It took way too long for that, but I think its pretty fair to say there is no more tinkering going on there (minus an off day).
The Porkchop Express
AG
redline248 said:

astros4545 said:

Yep

Dusty was ahead of the sabermetrics when he was starting Niko Goodrum in the 3 hole

Pure genius
I think most of us realize that there is a lot behind the scenes about sports teams we don't know, but that means we can ONLY comment on the actual games. However, there is zero amount of behind the scenes managing that makes up for how he used Niko while on the roster.

Also, the bottom line is winning matters. A lot. Dusty didn't torpedo 21 or 22, and was - in my opinion - a real help coming out of the cheating news. Things are looking a lot more precarious this year, and we can all argue how much of that is due to Dusty. But teams as equally good as this one, or close to it, have fired him for not getting over the hump, regardless of how well he handles all the non-game stuff.
Then shouldn't all of you hate Jim Crane with every fiber of your being? He's the guy paying Dusty's check every week.
AgLA06
AG
He couldn't fire him after last year.

Dusty is on the golden boy farewell tour. Crane would be persecuted by all kinds of media in the league and probably even be called a racist if he fired him before the end of the year. His hands are tied and you know that regardless if everyone here is correct. Stop playing a fool and stirring the pot.
Farmer1906
AG
texasaggie2015
AG

Edit: Dammit Farmer beat me to it by a millisecond
texasaggie2015
AG
Julks optioned to make room.
Farmer1906
AG
Also. Bye bye Julks.

Beat40
texasaggie2015 said:

Edit: Dammit Farmer beat me to it by a millisecond
You both get the star from me though!
Mathguy64
AG
So we swapped Uncle Mike for Cousin Jake?
TexAg2001
AG
Page 2001. Whoop!
Farmer1906
AG
Let's make an assumptions here. Brantley is probably not physically able to play everyday. When we do sit him, it needs to be when LHPs are on the bump. His playing time needs to mainly impact Dubon & Meyers and not Yainer. Very simple ideas to maximize his return.
texasaggie2015
AG
I'm tingly.
Farmer1906
AG
Say Brantley has a solid 6 weeks to close out his Astros career, does he make the Astros HOF?
Wabs
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Let's make an assumptions here. Brantley is probably not physically able to play everyday. When we do sit him, it needs to be when LHPs are on the bump. His playing time needs to mainly impact Dubon & Meyers and not Yainer. Very simple ideas to maximize his return.
From your keyboard to Dusty's old crusty ears...
Farmer1906
AG
Wabs said:

Farmer1906 said:

From your keyboard to Dusty's old crusty ears...
And 1 more... Maldy should basically never bat in the 7th-9th vs a RHP unless JV or Framber are pitching deep. We have enough depth between Brantley, Singleton, Abreu, & Diaz that we can PH for Maldy & the pitcher's spot even when Yainer is DHing.
texasaggie2015
AG
Regardless if Brantley is 100% or not, his ability to have quality ABs lengthens this lineup a ton when he's starting. And when he's not, his bat is welcomed coming off the bench to pinch hit late in games. Those are situations where the ability to make contact often matter the most.
All I do is Nguyen
Picked up Uncle Mike for my fantasy team two days ago
Beat40
I am eagerly anticipating tonight's line-up. Really want that line up of death tonight.
Farmer1906
AG
Let's refresh our memory on who Brantley is and hopefully what we are getting

Brantley in AAA (2nd rehab)
.348 BA
.444 OBP
.565 SLG
1.010 OPS
147 wRC+
.318 BABIP

Brantley in 2022
.288 BA
.370 OBP
.416 SLG
.785 OPS
127 wRC+
.311 BABIP
--
45.1% HH%
10.7 LA
6.0% Barrel%
.374 xwOBA
--
37.2% Pull
41.9% Cen
20.9% Oppo
--
24.3% LD
44.4% GB
31.3% FB
4.5% IFFB

2022 Spray Chart (<15 LA)

I see quite a few outs that should be hits now.

Sprint Speed
2021 - 29%
2022 - 22%

Fielding Run Value
2021 - (-3)
2022 - (-1)

Arm
2021 - 86.3
2022 - 85.4 (Jake is 86.2)

Let's remember, he's kind of an old dude who doesn't move well and doesn't have much of an arm anymore.

redline248
AG

redline248 said:

astros4545 said:

Yep

Pure genius

Then shouldn't all of you hate Jim Crane with every fiber of your being? He's the guy paying Dusty's check every week.
1st of all, I don't hate Dusty. I don't like him managing the Astros.
2nd, yes, I did not like the fact that Crane kept Dusty for this season.
The Porkchop Express
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

Picked up Uncle Mike for my fantasy team two days ago

I haven't looked at my fantasy team since June.
bearkatag15
AG
NM missed that it was posted above.
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
spadilly
S
Am I the only one here not expecting Uncle Mike to make an immediate impact? I figure he's going to need a week or two to get back into the swing of things. Hope he proves me wrong.
n_touch
spadilly said:

Am I the only one here not expecting Uncle Mike to make an immediate impact? I figure he's going to need a week or two to get back into the swing of things. Hope he proves me wrong.
Compared to what we have on the bench, a few foul balls would be an immediate impact
Beau Holder
AG
No, I'm right there with you. But anything to get Julks out of Dusty's hands.
txags92
AG
redline248 said:

redline248 said:

astros4545 said:

Yep

Pure genius

1st of all, I don't hate Dusty. I don't like him managing the Astros.
2nd, yes, I did not like the fact that Crane kept Dusty for this season.
I don't care how much management did or didn't get along with him, you can't fire him coming off of a world series win. You would get crucified by the media for it for a variety of reasons, some true and some made up (ie racism). I am just happy to see Julks sent down so that we don't have to sit through Dusty pinch hitting Julks for Maldonado in late inning situations while Brantley sits on the bench.
Kashchei
AG
Beat40 said:

I am eagerly anticipating tonight's line-up. Really want that line up of death tonight.

Probably:

1 Dubon
2 Bregman
3 Tucker
4 Abreu
5 Yordan
6 Pena
7 Brantley
8 Meyers
9 Maldy

Altuve is tired after hitting for the cycle, Abreu had some big hits yesterday so he deserves to move up, and we don't want Yanier to build any confidence. /Dusty
ClickClack
AG
Taking my boys to the game tonight
Ag_07
AG
Just his steady presence and quality approach at the bottom of the order will be a contribution.
First Page Last Page
Page 2001 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.