***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,475,537 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
linkdude
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
texasaggie2015
AG
The organization likes him. Sort of a JP France type. Won't ever be an ace but has a high floor as a decent #4 guy.
2ndChanceAg96
AG
Was this b/c Abreu is back?
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I'd assume it was since they brought Blanco up
tjack16
AG
How many times can you send a guy down and call him up in the same season? I feel like a few of these guys have done it about five or six times.
texasaggie2015
AG
2ndChanceAg96 said:

Was this b/c Abreu is back?
Nope, calling up Ronel Blanco. Bullpen needs a fresh arm.
BadAggie
AG
https://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybrown/2016/03/03/statheads-and-researchers-mourn-as-mlbs-red-and-green-books-discontinued-ending-an-era/?sh=72d30e0e50ef
2ndChanceAg96
AG
Okay. Didn't see that.
OKCAg2002
AG
Farmer1906 said:

How in the heck does Bielak still have options left? I feel like he's bounced back and forth to AAA a dozen times.
JDUB08AG
AG
OKCAg2002 said:

Farmer1906 said:

How in the heck does Bielak still have options left? I feel like he's bounced back and forth to AAA a dozen times.
tjack16
AG
I'm just thankful our AAA associate is Sugar land. I couldn't imagine how inconvenient it would be if it was still Fresno.
R-Dog
AG
OKCAg2002 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Options are on a per year basis. You can send a guy down and call him up as many times in a season as you want...counts as one option.

Main limitation is when a guy goes down, he has to stay down so many days before you call him back up again unless you put someone on the injured list.
tjack16
AG
R-Dog said:

OKCAg2002 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Options are on a per year basis. You can send a guy down and call him up as many times in a season as you want...counts as one option.

Main limitation is when a guy goes down, he has to stay down so many days before you call him back up again unless you put someone on the injured list.

Given he's bounced back-and-forth the last few years, I'm guessing he has no more options left after this year?
R-Dog
AG
I don't know his specific contract situation but I'd think it's reasonable to think if he's not out of options now, he's close.

If he's out, then I believe they have to DFA him to send him down at that point
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
False. There is a limit per year it was discussed here previously. Blanco is getting near the limit for this year also
texasaggie2015
AG
R-Dog said:

OKCAg2002 said:

Farmer1906 said:

This isn't the case.
Farmer1906
AG
A few things to note:

You can't go back and forth as many times as you want. It is limited to 5x in a season. Once you hit the 40 man you only have 3 seasons of going up and down aka option years.

This is Bielak's 4th season doing so. I am not sure if 2020 didn't count or what. I think next year is when he has to stay up or be DFA'd.
bearkatag15
AG
Farmer1906 said:

A few things to note:

You can't go back and forth as many times as you want. It is limited to 5x in a season. Once you hit the 40 man you only have 3 seasons of going up and down aka option years.

This is Bielak's 4th season doing so. I am not sure if 2020 didn't count or what. I think next year is when he has to stay up or be DFA'd.
I wonder if he might get traded. I can't imagine him being a bullpen arm the entire year next year
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
R-Dog
AG
I mispoke on the as many times as you want. Just was trying to make the point that multiiple ups and down only count as one option.
Farmer1906
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Farmer1906 said:

A few things to note:

I wonder if he might get traded. I can't imagine him being a bullpen arm the entire year next year
When there isn't any major deadlines, I could see Dana making moves with Bielak, an outfielder, and maybe a few others to tweak /clean up things.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906 said:

bearkatag15 said:

Farmer1906 said:

A few things to note:

When there isn't any major deadlines, I could see Dana making moves with Bielak, an outfielder, and maybe a few others to tweak /clean up things.

We have a healthy number of guys at their option limits, but I'm not sure anyone would give up anything for them vs waiting until they hit waivers. I hope he can get some return.
Mathguy64
AG
I am 90% sure Blanco cannot come and go any more. I thought he was at his limit for the year. So now that he's up he's got to stay or be released. And I now think Bielak is at that limit.
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Farmer1906 said:

bearkatag15 said:

Farmer1906 said:

A few things to note:

We have a healthy number of guys at their option limits, but I'm not sure anyone would give up anything for them vs waiting until they hit waivers. I hope he can get some return.

Who else is at their limit besides Bielak? Bannon? I think everyone else has at least 1 more year.
The Porkchop Express
AG
tjack16 said:

How many times can you send a guy down and call him up in the same season? I feel like a few of these guys have done it about five or six times.
I always wanted the Astros to somehow re-acquire Fiers and just keep sending him up and down to different levels, and have him pitch every inning for a couple of weeks.
Farmer1906
AG
Mathguy64 said:

I am 90% sure Blanco cannot come and go any more. I thought he was at his limit for the year. So now that he's up he's got to stay or be released. And I now think Bielak is at that limit.

He just has to stay for the rest of the season. Roster expands in a week.
Ag_07
AG
Rosters expand Sept 1 so I doubt anyone comes and goes again this season.
bearkatag15
AG
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

Unless there is an injury.
Beau Holder
AG
I'm unconcerned with what becomes of either Bielak or Blanco after this, honestly.
Farmer1906
AG
Beau Holder said:

I'm unconcerned with what becomes of either Bielak or Blanco after this, honestly.

I was unconcerned with Framber after 2019. What an idiot I was.

I think we've seen enough to know what Bielak is. Blanco could still have a role in this team in the future. Especially with so many bullpen spots open next year.
Ag_07
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Ag_07 said:

Unless there is an injury.

BadAggie
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

tjack16 said:

I always wanted the Astros to somehow re-acquire Fiers and just keep sending him up and down to different levels, and have him pitch every inning for a couple of weeks.

It'd be the perfect union between Astros fans and Dusty.

TIL HIS ARM FALLS OFF.

BTKAG97
AG
tjack16 said:

https://www.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/minor-league-options

A player who is on the 40-man roster but does not open the season on the 26-man roster or the injured list must be optioned to the Minor Leagues. Once an optioned player has spent at least 20 days in the Minors in a given season, he loses one of his options. Only one Minor League option is used per season, regardless of how many times a player is optioned to and from the Minors over the course of a given season. (Players may only be optioned five times per season; after that, it requires outright assignment waivers to assign the player to the Minor Leagues.)
texasaggie2015
AG

Our boy Ben DuBose says he would take Dusty over Hinch
redline248
AG
Lol, Dusty wouldn't have even had Cole warm
First Page Last Page
Page 1923 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.