***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,493,055 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
tjack16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I always thought for his longevity he should be an everyday outfielder/DH and come out of the pen as a closer
Mathguy64
AG
So. A UCL tear. That means likely TJ surgery and if so he's done for all of 2024 and probably half of 2025. Anyone who signs him will be missing two players and still need to sign another quality DH and #1 to replace him. Who can afford that?

That's the rub with him. You are getting a #1 pitcher and top 5 DH in one player but when he goes down you have to replace a #1 and top 5 DH all at once. It means you need two players but only get one roster spot. Forget the $$, you have to decide what roster spot to refill and eat the other on the bench.
Mathguy64
AG
Oh. And let's not forget Trout is back on the IL at the end of the season.

Death, taxes and Mike Trout can't finish a season.
Farmer1906
AG
He went back? I thought he was just activated.
Farmer1906
AG
Or he takes the Harper bath and tried to come back in one offseason offensively. He might need 2 years off of pitching tho.
texasaggie2015
AG
3rdgenAg3 said:

Dusty baker get the **** out of our city you ****ing piece of ***** **** you. You would be content with last years ring and not giving a **** about this year. **** YOU.

Holy crap. Some of you just need to take a deep breath and relax.
Mathguy64
AG
Farmer1906 said:

He went back? I thought he was just activated.

Read the second half of that tweet. He's going back on the IL.
Mathguy64
AG
So. Has anyone ever had TJ right before becoming a FA? Can't remember that happening. At least not to a high quality guy.
Wabs
AG
Everyone needs to relax. Its not like last night was for a share of the division lead, and plus we have a well-rested bullpen as we go for the series win today to finish 3-4 on this homestand. Things are looking up.
jah003
S
The venn diagram of satire and truth is just a circle at this point.
Dies Irae
Yordan has been placed on the 60 Day IL following an injury sustained while playing crossfire with his nephew
Prosperdick
AG
DavysApprentice said:

Eso si, Que es said:

Great to see Chaz, Diaz, Peña clutch up in extras, sucks they were put in the position to have too, also sucks that Dubon and Julks were put in a clutch situation with division lead on the line.

Put your players in position to be successful

Brantley should be playing on this team. Dude is getting 11 million to play for the space cowboys while Julks is getting the biggest at bat of the game.

Astros have zero sense of urgency
When Julks first started his slump I wonder if Dana and Donkey's conversations went like this over the weeks:
First week:
Dana: Julks is 0 for his last 12, it might be time to sit on the bench.
Donkey: He's hitting the ball hard, he'll break out of the slump any day now.
Second week:
Dana: Julks is 0 for his last 24, it might be time to sit on the bench.
Third week:
Dana: Julks is 0 for his last 36, it might be time to sit on the bench.

The fact that he was up to the plate riding a 1 -41 bender is such a testament to Donkey's insistence on playing player favorites, season be damned.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Prosperdick said:

DavysApprentice said:

Eso si, Que es said:

Great to see Chaz, Diaz, Peña clutch up in extras, sucks they were put in the position to have too, also sucks that Dubon and Julks were put in a clutch situation with division lead on the line.

Brantley should be playing on this team. Dude is getting 11 million to play for the space cowboys while Julks is getting the biggest at bat of the game.

When Julks first started his slump I wonder if Dana and Donkey's conversations went like this over the weeks:
First week:
Second week:
Third week:

The fact that he was up to the plate riding a 1 -41 bender is such a testament to Donkey's insistence on playing player favorites, season be damned.
I think on some level, Dusty saw the state of the bullpen and said "ok, lets just end this game and take the L". It seems like he's done that multiple times when we get in these extra inning games, whether it's who he uses to pinch hit or who he uses from the bullpen (i.e. Montero, riding Martinez for a 4th inning in Cleveland).
BayAg_14
Is Dusty gone no matter the result? Or will we have to miss the playoffs for him to "retire"?
Prosperdick
AG
BayAg_14 said:

Is Dusty gone no matter the result? Or will we have to miss the playoffs for him to "retire"?
Miss the playoffs? We could make it to the World Series and if we lose I assume he's gone. His only get of jail free card is to win it all and even that might not be enough.

I hope I'm right as nothing would make me more happy than to complain about Donkey potentially coming back next year.
Boiling Denim
BadAggie said:

Regular Season

2022 Fielding
FP .987 (7th best in MLB)
Errors 72 (6th)

2023 Fielding
FP .985 (14th)
Errors 66 (15th)

Feels like this year is much worse.

Eye test it is for sure. They've talked about how lenient official scorers are moving forward this year on assigning errors. So we are trending to have more errors when they are assigning fewer and fewer e.g Bregman didn't get an error on the critical misplay last night.
Cromagnum
AG
linkdude said:

Oof

That sucks ass, right before big pay year too.
Prosperdick
AG
Cromagnum said:

linkdude said:

Oof

Yes but the Angels owner was able to squeeze another 3-4 weeks of gate fan receipts to milk every last dollar out of him. Sure he could have created a bidding war between several teams right before the trade deadline and completely stocked his farm system but that's just fan stuff.

Oops my Dustyisms are leaking into other topics.
gambochaman
AG
I expect today half of sugarland will be called up to the lineup and everyone sent down for some rest
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Prosperdick said:

DavysApprentice said:

Eso si, Que es said:

First week:
Second week:
Third week:

I will agree it was less than optimal but I believe he was the last bat on the bench yes? I'm worried about what that says about Yordon.

Also not really fair to say 1-41 when he got sent down to AAA in the middle of that he wasn't great but he had like 7 hits. But it's all moot if he's the last bat
linkdude
AG
5/13 with RISP but only score twice, geeeeezus
Cromagnum
AG
linkdude said:

5/13 with RISP but only score twice, geeeeezus

We are kings of lopsided stats like this. Woof.
The Porkchop Express
AG
3rdgenAg3 said:

Dusty baker get the **** out of our city you ****ing piece of ***** **** you. You would be content with last years ring and not giving a **** about this year. **** YOU.
07ag
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

More upset with Tuck and Graveman tonight. Tuck had one long fly ball out sac fly and that's it. Sale owned him after that.

Graveman let them off the mat with that 3 run Jack. Had first and second with one out. Giving up a run in extras is fine, but can't put your team in that big of a hole late.
Prince Tuck had some very bad swings last night,, hope he was just not seeing the ball well out of pitchers hand or something that won't repeat today
https://ts.la/eric59704
Philip J Fry
AG
I'm not feeling it this year. Even if we make the playoffs, I don't feel good about getting out if the first round.
n_touch
Prosperdick said:

Cromagnum said:

linkdude said:

Oof

Yes but the Angels owner was able to squeeze another 3-4 weeks of gate fan receipts to milk every last dollar out of him. Sure he could have created a bidding war between several teams right before the trade deadline and completely stocked his farm system but that's just fan stuff.

Could they have also known something was up? Maybe a little less movement or velo and did not want other teams looking into on a trade. Helps the Angels resign him
Prosperdick
AG
n_touch said:

Prosperdick said:

Cromagnum said:

linkdude said:

Oof

Could they have also known something was up? Maybe a little less movement or velo and did not want other teams looking into on a trade. Helps the Angels resign him
Great point, didn't think about that but I guess I could see it. I actually would prefer him to stay there.
AustinCountyAg
Frok said:

Astros competitive spirit is weak. Someone is always sitting for some minor reason.
it's dusty insisting that the players "save themselves" and "taking it safe" for the playoffs. Well, wake the **** up Dusty. It doesn't ****ing matter if they are healthy come the playoffs if the team isn't even in them. NOW is the time to ****ing compete and win games, and guess what just maybe you can get a cushion the last week and then you can rest whoever the **** you want.
texasaggie2015
AG
If it has anything to do with Dusty, don't worry about it. Front office will make the lineups in the postseason.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Gotta make it to the postseason first
Hulla Baller
AG
I have a good feeling about today. The offense is going off this afternoon.
Chef Elko
AG
It's one index finger, make a half assed swing without it if you have to. Yordan needed to be in there over cannon fodder Julks.

If it's not broken and damaged enough to put him on the IL, put him in there! I believe his value with bases loaded down 2 vs Julks in there is higher than giving him the extra rest. Literally a chance to win or tie a game with a single at bat, doesn't get better than that. Yordan and/or Dusty are soft.
BMX Bandit
texasaggie2015 said:

If it has anything to do with Dusty, don't worry about it. He doesn't make the lineups in the postseason.

Who does?
07ag
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

There's a lot that happened behind the scenes. I don't have time right now but I'll make a post sometime tonight kinda explaining everything. Remind me if I forget.
checking in on this
https://ts.la/eric59704
Marvin
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

If it has anything to do with Dusty, don't worry about it. He doesn't make the lineups in the postseason.

Is my sarcasm meter broke, or did you say this as fact?
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
First Page Last Page
Page 1905 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.