***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,496,318 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bearkatag15 said:

So tonight we see Chris Sale. This will be just his 3rd start since June 1st. Last 2 starts he was on a low pitch count at 59 and 65 and only went 4.2 and 4.1 innings. I imagine they might let him get up to 70-75 pitches tonight.
So. Do we play smart and act patient at the plate working counts or do we have multiple 6 pitch innings?
AustinCountyAg
rosco511 said:

Diaz is the one who needs to be playing every night over Abreu and Singleton at first if Dusty not willing to otherwise play Diaz at catcher or DH. Diaz bat too valuable to get any days off at this point but I know Dusty will Dusty.
THIS

Diaz has to be in the lineup every night. Period.

In terms of Abreu vs Big John, I'd rather have have John. He has a better eye, and he puts much better swings on the ball compared to Abreu. When Jose does hit it, it is about as hard hit as my 5 year old.
Farmer1906
AG
Yesterday we were cutting Singleton. Today he's locked in ahead of Abreu.
Ag_07
AG
Depends...If I want someone to get on base to keep a rally going or flip the lineup over give me Jon, but if I want someone to drive a run in with 2 outs give me Abreu.
AustinCountyAg
Wait until Brantley and Abreu come back and Dusty will have Diaz AND Chaz both riding the bench when JV pitches.

I'm literally fixing to throw up at my desk as I sit here typing that out knowing that WILL happen.
Marvin
AG
Farmer1906 said:

And water is wet? We've long acknowledged the schizophrenic nature of this board. Or maybe it's just different posters with different opinions?
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Prosperdick
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I was never anti Singleton but I think Jon should play ahead of Abreu IF his back is still giving him issues. If it's well rested and healed he should be playing but how do you know until you see him in action.

This is where a rehab assignment is very critical. If he's still taking swings using only his arms I'm not sure you even activate him at that point, why waste a roster spot (and HOPEFULLY a playoff roster spot) when he's going to give you barely above Maldy production.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Prosperdick said:

Farmer1906 said:

I was never anti Singleton but I think Jon should play ahead of Abreu IF his back is still giving him issues. If it's well rested and healed he should be playing but how do you know until you see him in action.

This is where a rehab assignment is very critical. If he's still taking swings using only his arms I'm not sure you even activate him at that point, why waste a roster spot (and HOPEFULLY a playoff roster spot) when he's going to give you barely above Maldy production.
From the sound of things yesterday, there was a very distinct possibility they are going to bring back Abreu without a rehab assignment this weekend.
linkdude
AG
Farmer1906 said:

this isn't directly related to Jon, but I've thought about it and what I want in the postseason (when Diaz isn't the starting C) is Diaz 1B, Maldy C, then PH Abreu for Maldy after the SP goes out and flip positions
redline248
AG
Farmer1906 said:

It's fun to ride the wave, ain't it?
gigemJTH12
AG
can you imagine if Abreu was the Abreu we thought we signed?

we would be ridiculous.
Farmer1906
AG
JV's 4 seamer last night vs season long

Usage: 62.5% - 50.9%
Velo: 95.1 - 94.3
Spin: 2504 - 2434
Whiff%: 34% - 17.6%
EV: 89.5 - 92.3

To put last night's start into perspective

Usage: Season High
Velo: 2nd Highest
Spin: Season High
Whiff%: 2nd Highest
EV: 4th Lowest

Whatever JV did to his mechanics clearly worked. His fastball last night acted more like his fastball from 2017-2019 than the more average fastball he's had this season.
HarryRocket
AustinCountyAg said:

Wait until Brantley and Abreu come back and Dusty will have Diaz AND Chaz both riding the bench when JV pitches.

I'm literally fixing to throw up at my desk as I sit here typing that out knowing that WILL happen.

Omg this is true
JDUB08AG
AG
The expanded roster in September scares the **** out of me giving Dusty more "pieces" to play with.
W
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

A part of me hopes we somehow meet the BoSox in the playoffs this year, I know it won't happen, and we have signs all over the place with JV's face and the quote "**** off Alex". It would be BEAUTIFUL
there's a chance JV will face Boston again at Fenway next week

if the Astros don't skip or rest anyone in the starting rotation

I can guess what Red Sox fans will be yelling at him
Prosperdick
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Prosperdick said:

Farmer1906 said:

From the sound of things yesterday, there was a very distinct possibility they are going to bring back Abreu without a rehab assignment this weekend.
Sigh...guess we'll experiment with him in the heat of a division and playoff chase. What could possibly go wrong!
redline248
AG
I think I'm in favor of Singleton getting some more PAs. Since joining the Astros on August 8:

He has 28 batted balls with a 20.4 degree launch angle, 10.7% barrels, 42.9% hard hit, but only .154 babip. As pointed out, the ability to draw a walk has been incredible.

Only Alvarez and Tucker have a higher HH% and that 10.7% barrels would also rank him 3rd on the team (Chas at 12.4% is awesome).

We're still talking about a small sample, but let's see what happens as it grows.
Farmer1906
AG
redline248 said:

I think I'm in favor of Singleton getting some more PAs. Since joining the Astros on August 8:

He has 28 batted balls with a 20.4 degree launch angle, 10.7% barrels, 42.9% hard hit, but only .154 babip. As pointed out, the ability to draw a walk has been incredible.

Only Alvarez and Tucker have a higher HH% and that 10.7% barrels would also rank him 3rd on the team (Chas at 12.4% is awesome).

We're still talking about a small sample, but let's see what happens as it grows.

All true. He won't be able to keep a 20% BB% but he also won't keep the low BABIP. He's a little under or on top of things. I really think he's close figuring it out.
htxag09
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Well he did nearly double his hit total last night....
W
AG
Kirby pitching for Seattle this afternoon

Gausman starting for Toronto tonight

need to beat the Red Sox again
Farmer1906
AG
txags11
AG

And now we wait for the Mariner downfall to begin
Mathguy64
AG
Farmer1906 said:

JV's 4 seamer last night vs season long

Usage: 62.5% - 50.9%
Velo: 95.1 - 94.3
Spin: 2504 - 2434
Whiff%: 34% - 17.6%
EV: 89.5 - 92.3

To put last night's start into perspective

Usage: Season High
Velo: 2nd Highest
Spin: Season High
Whiff%: 2nd Highest
EV: 4th Lowest

Whatever JV did to his mechanics clearly worked. His fastball last night acted more like his fastball from 2017-2019 than the more average fastball he's had this season.

What really made the FB work was he also had an elite curve ball last night. 71-74 mph and breaking in the zone.
Dies Irae
Farmer1906 said:

I hadn't done a deep dive into his numbers yet. His BB% is incredibly impressive, especially given the fact that it has been consistent over almost 2,000 plate appearances in in the span of 6 seasons. He has struck out A LOT in that same time period; but it seems he has gotten a little better as over his last 364 plate appearances in AAA his k% has dropped from 25% to 20%
Dies Irae
redline248 said:

I don't mean to sound like a fanboy, but I was literally blown away by his BB% when looking through his minor league numbers. I understand it's AAA ball and not the majors, but a 20% walk-rate over 2,000 plate appearances is unheard of. The only other player that comes close to that in the Majors is Juan Soto, who has led the league in BB% over the last two years.
R-Dog
AG
Hoberg with a good but not great game by his standards...

R-Dog
AG
Still would take him behind the plate for every post season game if that was an option
Farmer1906
AG
It doesn't look like any Verdugo and Cora were pitching about were wrong.
R-Dog
AG
Farmer1906 said:

It doesn't look like any Verdugo and Cora were pitching about were wrong.

And the 3 most impactful misses went in their favor
gambochaman
AG
I tell you this

The emotional roller coaster of this season has been exhausting

And its gonna get worse down the stretch
agproducer
AG
I don't really listen to Ben, and this may have been brought up prior -- but I applaud his message.

And the comment section continues to be just sad. It continues to show that people are idiots, buying false narratives to fit their opinions.

Eso si, Que es
Hopefully Cora's antics just fan the fire in our boy's bellies to BTHO bosox for 2 weeks straight. Put the nail in their coffin ourselves.
Ag_07
AG
Cora is fckn clown
texasaggie2015
AG
I think we live in a world where people just like being mad at something. It helps them feel better about themselves. It's truly sad.
agproducer
AG
Also fun -- on Cora.

First Page Last Page
Page 1870 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.