***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,501,344 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
2ndChanceAg96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
LOL!!! Yes, back on track baby.
texasaggie2015
AG
Farmer1906
AG
Beau Holder said:

I don't like to be pedantic for its own sake but 10-12K and "no one," which is what you said, are substantively different things as a matter of course. The poster you were responding to was making a point that isn't in disagreement here (and which I don't even think you're really arguing with based on your other post?): simply that central location makes sense and is already achieved in Houston. Whereas moving north was achieving that for Atlanta.

"Ballpark in proximity to homes" = whose homes? The ones who opted to move to Tomball? No thanks.
According to statisticalatlas.com Harris county is the 3rd largest county in the country and the 14th most densely populated. I have a feeling most of the fans are coming from Houston. Maybe a large portion of the fans that show up are from the suburbs. I have no idea how many. But it's not from one suburb and it certainly isn't located enough in one direction to build a stadium that isn't centralized.
Wabs
AG
Not bad for a platoon OFer
Beau Holder
AG
Fan stuff doesn't play the game the way Dusty likes not a veteran Dubon's arm in center etc.
Phrasing
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Yeah well Dusty is making it so I'm sure it's going to suck
Dear lord - please give me patience if Diaz and Chaz aren't in the lineup today- I'm stressed enough at work and already constantly sweating because of the heat - please don't make Dusty do this to me today. My heart won't be able to take it anymore. Amen.
Beau Holder
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Beau Holder said:

I don't like to be pedantic for its own sake but 10-12K and "no one," which is what you said, are substantively different things as a matter of course. The poster you were responding to was making a point that isn't in disagreement here (and which I don't even think you're really arguing with based on your other post?): simply that central location makes sense and is already achieved in Houston. Whereas moving north was achieving that for Atlanta.

"Ballpark in proximity to homes" = whose homes? The ones who opted to move to Tomball? No thanks.
According to statisticalatlas.com Harris county is the 3rd largest county in the country and the 14th most densely populated. I have a feeling most of the fans are coming from Houston. Maybe a large portion of the fans that show up are from the suburbs. I have no idea how many. But it's not from one suburb and it certainly isn't located enough in one direction to build a stadium that isn't centralized.

Agree 100%. Unless I misread I felt like that was all that was being said to begin with by the prior posters.
texasaggie2015
AG
Well we know JV's personal center fielder will be in CF
Ag_07
AG
Tons of people may not live in downtown proper but plenty of people live in Montrose, Rice Military, Heights, West U, etc etc that are only 10-15 mins from MMP.

I doubt most of those people are going to make the haul out to the suburbs to go watch a game especially on weeknights.

There's plenty of demand from those in earshot of downtown to sustain a downtown stadium.
spadilly
S
texasaggie2015 said:

I plan to make a trip to Wrigley in April and then San Diego in September

I was so hoping that San Diego series would be over the summer when the kids would be out of school and we could take them.
Phrasing
AG
Ag_07 said:

Tons of people may not live in downtown proper but plenty of people live in Montrose, Rice Military, Heights, West U, etc etc that are only 10-15 mins from MMP.

I doubt most of those people are going to make the haul out to the suburbs to go watch a game especially on weeknights.

There's plenty of demand from those in earshot of downtown to sustain a downtown stadium.
True. I live on the west side of town and I don't mind the 20 minute drive to MMP Downtown. A 45 minute drive to Woodlands would be a different animal and I wouldn't go near as much. Someone living in Pearland only has a 15 minute drive, but Woodlands would be an hour or more for them.
AgLA06
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Beau Holder said:

The first thing someone is going to figure out when proposing a location is proximity to customers.

12K live downtown
only 400k live inside the loop (your 30ish minute total commute to a ballpark during evening traffic).
6.5M + live outside the loop (majority on 3 sides of N, W, S)

That means right now moving a ballpark to the burbs would increase potential customers inside a 30 minute commute by multiples.

Houston could have a minor league ballpark in the Woodlands, in Katy, in addition to Sugarland and still draw well at them and the Astros no problem. If the Astros moved west or north they would sell more tickets purely by having exponentially more potential customers in a 30 minute drive.

Let's just get back to the normal content on this thread.
Farmer1906
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

This is misleading. Chas leads in Run-Value vs a singular pitch. Chas dominates 4 seamers like no other.

Across all pitches, Freeman leads the way with a +55.

Here are the leaders
1. Freeman 55
2. Ohtani 51
3. Acuna Jr 48
5. Olson 45
6. Betts 45
7. Seager 39
8. Tucker 37
9. Yandy Diaz 30
10. McCormick 29
--
12. Alvarez 28
--
19. Bregman 22
--
30. Altuve 18

541. Maldonado -24 (dead last)
Jet Black
Downtown ballparks are so much better than the ones located in the burbs, like in Arlington. A park in the suburbs doesn't make any sense in a city like Houston. Are people going to drive from clear lake to the woodlands to watch the Astros play? I wouldn't.
Beau Holder
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Well we know JV's personal center fielder will be in CF

I wonder if someone asked JV straight up what he thinks about that, what he would say. The whole idea is just so laughable that only Dusty Baker could originate and commit to it.

To this day, nobody has seemed to want to press Galaxy Brain on 1. What evidence there is that Dubon's arm is meaningfully better than Chas' and 2. Covering ground (which Chas and Jake both do better) being more important on a pitch-to-pitch basis for fly ball pitching, you'd think, than throwing.
AgLA06
AG
Ag_07 said:

400K people inside the loop are irrelevant if you just put the stadium in clower distance to 1M-2M.

You guys are thinking of personal opinions and not real stats of the city.
Ag_07
AG
Quote:

Fckin Dusty
Maldy sucks
STOP swinging at that shlt Pena
Why does Jose stand so far away from the plate?
Wish Crane wasn't so tight and would open the checkbook
Bagwell is the worst GM ever
No way this team makes the playoffs. They're done

That better?
Farmer1906
AG
AgLA06 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Beau Holder said:

The first thing someone is going to figure out when proposing a location is proximity to customers.

12K live downtown
only 400k live inside the loop (your 30ish minute total commute to a ballpark during evening traffic).
6.5M + live outside the loop (majority on 3 sides of N, W, S)

That means right now moving a ballpark to the burbs would increase potential customers inside a 30 minute commute by multiples.

Houston could have a minor league ballpark in the Woodlands, in Katy, in addition to Sugarland and still draw well at them and the Astros no problem. If the Astros moved west or north they would sell more tickets purely by having exponentially more potential customers in a 30 minute drive.

That is interesting. Maybe you do have a point. My slow brain would need to see something visually, like a density map with all the burbs included.
Jet Black
I live in the heights and if they moved the park to some suburban hellhole I know I'd go to less games.

I went to one Skeeters game in sugarland. Enjoyed it but I will probably never go back. Too far and it's a boring ugly area.
1836er
AG
I have no data to back this up... but my guess is that probably only about 30% of the people attending Astros games live in the City of Houston proper, and even a good chunk of those who do effectively live in suburbs that just happened to get annexed by the city. Who really knows though.
bearkatag15
AG

These renderings of the Royals new stadium look amazing
Marvin
AG
Ag_07 said:

Quote:

Fckin Dusty
Maldy sucks

THROW STRIKES, DAMN IT!

That better?

Sorry, your list was incomplete...
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Bondag
AG
You may have more people with a shorter commute in Katy, but they will not go to every game. Right now the team sells well and pulls from every burb. When you put it in one suburb you get the Skeeters.
Ag_07
AG
Sure

But if you put it in Woodlands you're alienating not only the inner loop but also the other big suburbs like SL, Katy, Pearland, Clear Lake, etc.

For how spread out we are it makes sense to have the stadium it centrally located. If it didn't then MMP, NRG, and Toyota Center wouldn't all be centrally located.
Beau Holder
AG
AgLA06 said:

Ag_07 said:

400K people inside the loop are irrelevant if you just put the stadium in clower distance to 1M-2M.

You guys are thinking of personal opinions and not real stats of the city.

I'm just confused how moving the stadium to some northern suburb is supposed to bring in more fans than you're losing from Clear Lake, Pearland, Manvel, and Sugar Land without even thinking of the inner loop and Downtown. This is your area of expertise so I'm all honest ears.
Farmer1906
AG
Jet Black said:

Downtown ballparks are so much better than the ones located in the burbs, like in Arlington. A park in the suburbs doesn't make any sense in a city like Houston. Are people going to drive from clear lake to the woodlands to watch the Astros play? I wouldn't.
I don't think anyone would expect it to be all the way in the suburbs.

Would it make sense to put it off the Beltway between 10 and 59? You all of a sudden are much closer to Katy, Sugarland, North Richmond and still pull in Memorial, Spring Branch, Bellaire.

For someone like me driving in from the north side, it doesn't make a huge different going downtown or to that area.
1836er
AG
Jet Black said:

I live in the heights and if they moved the park to some suburban hellhole I know I'd go to less games.
Conversely... I live WAY WAY out and having to drive/park in the city is a major turn off for me. If they had a ballpark in Katy, the Woodlands, Cypress, or even Sugarland I'd go to 10x more games.
Jet Black
Quote:

For how spread out we are it makes sense to have the stadium centrally located.

This
Beau Holder
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Talmbout
AgLA06
AG
Marvin said:

Ag_07 said:

Quote:

Fckin Dusty
Maldy sucks

THROW STRIKES, DAMN IT!

That better?

Sorry, your list was incomplete...
Dusty sucks
Jake
Dubon
Chaz
Diaz

Maldy

Better list.
Jet Black
1836er said:

Jet Black said:

Conversely... I live WAY WAY out and having to drive/park in the city is a major turn off for me. If they had a ballpark in Katy, the Woodlands, Cypress, or even Sugarland I'd go to 10x more games.

People in that area would go more but half of the city would go less.
Farmer1906
AG
Beau Holder said:

bearkatag15 said:

Talmbout
Gives me vibes of what people in the 80s thought the future would look like.
Beau Holder
AG
Oh I just meant moving into population centers and out of bland suburbia
1836er
AG
Jet Black said:

Quote:

For how spread out we are it makes sense to have the stadium centrally located.

This
Notwithstanding my affection for the idea of a suburban stadium... this is unfortunately true. If we were laid out more like the Metroplex the equation might be different.
texasaggie2015
AG

Unbelievable. No Diaz. And 6-9 is just horrendous.
First Page Last Page
Page 1850 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.