***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,495,963 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Prosperdick
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Extreme arm fatigue. Unless they get shut down for a while, I wouldn't expect a dramatic improvement.
So you're telling me the *******ed World Baseball Classic not only cost us 2 months of Altuve but the arms of our 2 best starting pitchers (before we acquired JV of course).

Lovely.
R-Dog
AG
MAROON said:

Wabs said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Extreme arm fatigue. Unless they get shut down for a while, I wouldn't expect a dramatic improvement.
Get both of them some time on the IL, especially when we can call up another pitcher in September.
Really hard to do in a race to make the playoffs, although i agree they need some rest (as does Brown).
In years past we had this luxury because we had such a large lead in the division. All these AAA Sunday line-ups throughout the season are now rearing their ugly head.

Regular season ends Oct. 1. Division series begins Oct. 7. How huge would it be to have those 5 days off in between and not have to play a wild card series.
Wabs
AG
MAROON said:

Wabs said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Get both of them some time on the IL, especially when we can call up another pitcher in September.
Really hard to do in a race to make the playoffs, although i agree they need some rest (as does Brown).
In years past we had this luxury because we had such a large lead in the division. All these AAA Sunday line-ups throughout the season are now rearing their ugly head.
1000% agree
Farmer1906
AG
Prosperdick said:

texasaggie2015 said:

So you're telling me the *******ed World Baseball Classic not only cost us 2 months of Altuve but the arms of our 2 best starting pitchers (before we acquired JV of course).

Lovely.
Framber didn't pitch in the WBC and Javier had 1 start of 5 innings. I don't think that had much of an effect.

Framber and Javier both threw the most innings they ever have last season with a short offseason. They haven't slowed down usage-wise this year.

Framber (total IP)
2019 - 115 IP
2020* - 94.2 IP
2021 - 161.1 IP
2022 - 226.1 IP
2023 - 154.2 so far

Javier (total IP)
2019 - 113.2 IP
2020* - 63.2 IP
2021 - 112 IP
2022 - 161.1 IP
2023 - 127.1 so far

*Covid Year
Farmer1906
AG
Wabs said:

MAROON said:

Wabs said:

texasaggie2015 said:

1000% agree
Not just those ugly lineups, but this is the reason so many of us were pounding the table for Yainer & Chas to play more early on.
Beau Holder
AG
Plus the WBC was absolutely awesome as a fan of the game. I'm not going to sit here and blame/whine about it. Shohei gave his all in it and has gone on to have one of the greatest seasons in MLB history with no issues.

It will never not be hilarious that Javier is 9-2 with a 4.52 ERA. I do hope as we've all discussed at some length now that the rotation/bullpen manipulation expands to include him and maybe Framber.
MAROON
AG
and I'm pretty sure Brown has now thrown more innings than any other time in his career.
Wabs
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Wabs said:

MAROON said:

Wabs said:

texasaggie2015 said:

1000% agree
Not just those ugly lineups, but this is the season so many of us were pounding the table for Yainer & Chas to play more early on.
Agree. Looking back it's infuriating how the lineups were assembled and who got the majority of playing time and ABs. I still think back to the first 2 games when Chas didn't even see the field. You know, our starting CFer when we won the whole damn thing? Yeah, that guy.
Farmer1906
AG
MAROON said:

and I'm pretty sure Brown has now thrown more innings than any other time in his career.
If you count minors, majors, and postseason he had 130 last year and he's at 128. He's about to enter new territory.
MAROON
AG
be interesting to see how many actual pitches he's thrown. I can find it for his major league stats but not minor league...at least not yet.
Farmer1906
AG
Wabs said:

Farmer1906 said:

Wabs said:

MAROON said:

Wabs said:

texasaggie2015 said:

1000% agree
Not just those ugly lineups, but this is the season so many of us were pounding the table for Yainer & Chas to play more early on.
Agree. Looking back it's infuriating how the lineups were assembled and who got the majority of playing time and ABs. I still think back to the first 2 games when Chas didn't even see the field. You know, our starting CFer when we won the whole damn thing? Yeah, that guy.
Let's keep piling on.

Between Dubon, Pena, Julks, & Kessinger; they have 113 starts in either the 1 or 2 position in the lineup. I understand guys were hurt. But if you have only Bregman & Tucker out of your stars then they need to bat 1-2 or at worst 2-3.

Our most commonly used lineup this season is:
Dubon
Bregman
Alvarez
Abreu
Tucker
Pena
Julks
Meyers
Maldonado

Chas has a 153 wRC+ (10th in baseball, min 300 PA). He has exactly 20 starts where he bats in the top 5 in the lineup. Dusty has batted him 7th 5x in August.
Farmer1906
AG
MAROON said:

be interesting to see how many actual pitches he's thrown. I can find it for his major league stats but not minor league...at least not yet.
Try here and select the year you want to see.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=brown-003hun&type=pgl&year=2023

EastCoastAgNc
AG

Girls plural...
BadAggie
AG
R-Dog said:

MAROON said:

Wabs said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Regular season ends Oct. 1. Division series begins Oct. 7. How huge would it be to have those 5 days off in between and not have to play a wild card series.

They're within a couple games of division lead and control their own destiny. Funny how for most MLB fanbases this would be an exciting time but not here. Lol.

Prosperdick
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Prosperdick said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Lovely.
Framber didn't pitch in the WBC and Javier had 1 start of 5 innings. I don't think that had much of an effect.

Framber and Javier both threw the most innings they ever have last season with a short offseason. They haven't slowed down usage-wise this year.

Framber (total IP)
2019 - 115 IP
2020* - 94.2 IP
2021 - 161.1 IP
2022 - 226.1 IP
2023 - 154.2 so far

Javier (total IP)
2019 - 113.2 IP
2020* - 63.2 IP
2021 - 112 IP
2022 - 161.1 IP
2023 - 127.1 so far

*Covid Year
Oh that's right, I forgot Framber was going to pitch in it but backed out. Oh well, still cost us Altuve.

Yeah and the extended playoffs really wore us down. Just think if we didn't have a bye last year.
texasaggie2015
AG
What concerns me the most is that often times fatigue leads to injuries and/or mechanical issues. I really don't want to see this turning into a bigger problem.
Beat40
Prosperdick said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Lovely.
Did Framber not pitch? I thought Crane held him out.
BadAggie
AG

BadAggie
AG

Mr.Bond
AG
BadAggie said:

Sounds like someone wants a new stadium....... and who wouldnt want out of south chicago???
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

MAROON
AG
Farmer1906 said:

MAROON said:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=brown-003hun&type=pgl&year=2023

He threw 2090 pitches in 2022, and has thrown 2207 so far in 2023.

Innings in 2022 - 126.1, innings in 2023 - 128.

Wabs
AG
Need a JV special tonight: 7 IP, 2 runs or less.
Farmer1906
AG
MAROON said:

Farmer1906 said:

MAROON said:

You count postseason?
W
AG
if the Bears can leave the White Sox can too

ballparks in the suburbs are / should be the new thing now
W
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Our most commonly used lineup this season is:
Dubon
Bregman
Alvarez
Abreu
Tucker
Pena
Julks
Meyers
Maldonado

this is sad. Six hitters in that group with an OPS below .700

six of nine
MAROON
AG
Farmer1906 said:

MAROON said:

Farmer1906 said:

MAROON said:

You count postseason?
Revised to include post season:

Innings:
2022 - 130
2023 - 128

Pitches:
2022 - 2156
2023 - 2207

and I completely forgot he did not get any playing time in last year's world series.
Beau Holder
AG
W said:

Why? The movement of people has been going the opposite direction outside of the Covid shakeup.

The Braves built theirs a million miles from the center of Atlanta with no serviceable public transport to get you there, you have to drive in loads of traffic, have a DD, park across the highway, walk 15 minutes, and hang there all day just to enjoy the Battery. And getting back afterward takes an hour+

The Royals are seeking to put one in downtown KC which would be far superior to Kauffman being in an ocean of parking lots eight miles from any sort of entertainment scene.
Ag_07
AG
W said:

No thanks
Beau Holder
AG
Ag_07 said:

W said:

No thanks

More succinctly put than mine.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Well at least we can count on the Orioles owner wrecking their long term chances of contention. This guy is a moron
AgLA06
AG
Beau Holder said:

W said:

Why? The movement of people is going the opposite direction.

The Braves built theirs a million miles from the center of Atlanta with no serviceable public transport to get you there, you have to drive, have a DD, park across the highway, walk 15 minutes, and hang there all day just to enjoy the Battery.

The Royals are seeking to put one in downtown KC which would be far superior to Kauffman being in an ocean of parking lots eight miles from any sort of entertainment scene.
Because movement of residential preferences change.

The old thinking of paying over the top to build a ballpark near a known entity or location is cost prohibitive. And the examples you said represent the new thinking that it doesn't matter where the ballpark as long as they create an experience around it. And if the organization builds that experience around the stadium they also own and control that revenue as well. So they aren't leveraged by someone else.

Ballparks don't make as much off of concert and events in the off season / away weekends as one might think. But if by going this route they are driving new revenue with those events to the bars, restaurants, shops, and multifamily around the stadium it now does put enough money in their pocket to make it worth operating year round. And if you're out in the burbs there's less properties with pull around you to make that difficult.
n_touch
EastCoastAgNc said:

Well at least we can count on the Orioles owner wrecking their long term chances of contention. This guy is a moron
What is he saying that is wrong? If they have to raise prices, they may be pricing their fans out of being able to attend which causes even more issues.
Beau Holder
AG
AgLA06 said:

Beau Holder said:

W said:

Why? The movement of people is going the opposite direction.

The Braves built theirs a million miles from the center of Atlanta with no serviceable public transport to get you there, you have to drive, have a DD, park across the highway, walk 15 minutes, and hang there all day just to enjoy the Battery.

Because movement of residential preferences change.

The old thinking of paying over the top to build a ballpark near a known entity or location is cost prohibitive. And the examples you said represent the new thinking that it doesn't matter where the ballpark as long as they create an experience around it. And if the organization builds that experience around the stadium they also own and control that revenue as well. So they aren't leveraged by someone else.

Ballparks don't make as much off of concert and events as one might think. But if by going this route they are driving new revenue with those events to the bars, restaurants, shops, and multifamily around the stadium it now does put enough money in their pocket to make it worth operating year round. And if you're out in the burbs there's less properties with pull around you to make that difficult.

I'm confused by this part. Every team considering a new stadium (Rays, Royals, A's in Vegas) wants to move closer to the heart of where people and things to do are, not further.

I used the Braves example from experience to say it wasn't ideal. The Battery and ballpark are great but the location and the involvement of NIMBYs in how it came together actually made it a ridiculous chore to attend unless you happen to live in Cobb County. It somewhat works for the Braves because the northern suburbs are where a lot of Atlanta's millennial+ potential baseball audience has located (i.e. they sort of moved closer to their core constituency). That's not remotely true of every city with a team.

The rest of what you said makes sense from an ownership perspective. A league full of suburban ballparks would be terrible for fans though.
AgLA06
AG
n_touch said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

What is he saying that is wrong? If they have to raise prices, they may be pricing their fans out of being able to attend which causes even more issues.
Yep. It's why the Astros have been very particular on who they've extended and who they've cut loose in favor of young talent or free agency. It would be great to keep every up and coming star. But as long as dumb owners like the Mets and Padres will overpay for talent and over inflate the market, that isn't feasible.
Farmer1906
AG
n_touch said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

They're already 10th in the average ticket price (Defending World Champions are 9th)

Plus they're near the top in food/beer prices too.

They're #1 in the AL yet 22nd in attendance. Maybe it'll go up next year (kind of a lagging metric).
First Page Last Page
Page 1847 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.