***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,495,518 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
txags11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
They're playing at an elite caliber level right now. It's baseball though, something has got to give at some point right? They have to have a letdown at some point I feel, losing 3 in a row, or a series to someone they shouldn't.
Proudag06
AG
In 3 of Javier's last 5 starts he has allowed 3 runs in the first inning and then (at least in those games) little else.

Obviously the real issue is his inability to consistently throw strikes/hit spots, but I wonder an opener would help him settle in against the middle of the order.

I'm not suggesting Dusty would ever do it, but wondering if anyone else has thought this.

FrioAg 00
AG
Seattle looks almost invincible right now. The Rangers have looked that way a few times this season.

Yet here we all are, within 2 games of each other.

Astros are right where we need to be. Get Yordon back in his grove and SP will round inti post season form.
Ag_07
AG
Rangers are a good team but I said a long time ago they're young and they don't know how to win.

They seem to scuffle in big spots when the lights are the brightest. It's about to get dicey for them as this final stretch gets tight.

This is one reason many like us to eventually pull out on top in the West. We have the experience that they don't.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Just looking at the remaining schedule between the Stros, rangers and mariners

I'd put money on the rangers missing the postseason all together, and us and the mariners battling it out for division / wildcard spot to the last day.
Ciboag96
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno said:

I'd put money on the rangers missing the postseason all together,

Dear Penthouse….
JYDog90
AG
Did anybody say what Maldy's deal was in his last at bat?
CoachAg19
AG
FrioAg 00 said:

Seattle looks almost invincible right now. The Rangers have looked that way a few times this season.

Yet here we all are, within 2 games of each other.

Astros are right where we need to be. Get Yordon back in his grove and SP will round inti post season form.
Seattle's pitching is elite and could easily carry them into the postseason.
Their lineup is just so pesky. And they're consistently pesky. If you look at their averages, OBP, and slugging their entire lineup is relatively similar in all of those categories. And that's with nobody having elite stats at the plate...including Julio.
redline248
AG
Proudag06 said:

In 3 of Javier's last 5 starts he has allowed 3 runs in the first inning and then (at least in those games) little else.

Obviously the real issue is his inability to consistently throw strikes/hit spots, but I wonder an opener would help him settle in against the middle of the order.

I'm not suggesting Dusty would ever do it, but wondering if anyone else has thought this.

Farmer suggested it last night.

I wonder who would be Dusty's opener of choice, right now.
gigemJTH12
AG
Mariners are peaking wayyy too early.
Farmer1906
AG
redline248 said:

Proudag06 said:

Farmer suggested it last night.

I wonder who would be Dusty's opener of choice, right now.
I suggested it because the Red Sox stacked their lineup with lefties at the top and are generally left-handed. If Javier could have faced those guys twice and not 3x then it sets him up for more success.

Stanek has been an opener before. In last night's case, Maton or Parker would be ideal. Obviously, neither was on the roster last night.
Farmer1906
AG
Fangraphs is losing faith in Arlington.

tjack16
AG
I think calling up Arighetti and moving Javier to the pen for a turn or two in the rotation might help.
Ag_07
AG
It's a tough call because at the same time we need our best pitchers out there to win games. Is Arighetti a better option than Javier?

Are we OK with Spencer coming up and making his debut in a crucial division race in August?

Tough call
gougler08
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Texas' schedule is getting hard for the rest of the season where ours (and definitely the Mariners) is softening up soon
JDUB08AG
AG
I know CJ has somehow squeaked by ok his last few starts, but he's walking on some massive eggshells. I still have limited confidence in him.
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

It's a tough call because at the same time we need our best pitchers out there to win games. Is Arighetti a better option than Javier?

Are we OK with Spencer coming up and making his debut in a crucial division race in August?

Tough call
The bar isn't exactly super high. Here are Javier's 4 August starts:

19.1 IP (4.2 or 5.0 each game)
5.59 ERA
7.10 FIP
9.89 xFIP
39 Game Score
2.2% K-BB% (embarrassingly low)

texasaggie2015
AG
From everything I'm hearing in regards to Framber and Javier, I'm not optimistic we see a big turnaround.
txags11
AG
Well that's pretty disheartening to hear...
redline248
AG
Yainer since July 1: .289/.311/.602, 11 HR, 27 RBI in 135 PA. (he has 289 PA on the year)
Chas since July 1: .324/.415/.654, 12 HR, 33 RBI in 159 PA (330 PA on the year)
Tucker since July 1: .323/.412/.645, 13 HR, 43 RBI in 183 PA

Chas's 191 is the 3rd highest wRC+ in all of MLB since July 1. Tucker is 6th at 184, Yainer at 32sn with 144.

Oh yeah, Altuve returned on July 26, since then: .398/.472/.570, 3 HR, 11 RBI, 21 runs scored, 193 wRC+
I literally love that man

Mathguy64
AG
Tandem starts with Javier, Urquidy, Brown, Bielak. They know all they need to do is go 4, 5 IP max.

Throw an opener for Javier and Brown. With Javier especially it may lower his first inning pitch count and let him go longer than 5.
Farmer1906
AG
gougler08 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Texas' schedule is getting hard for the rest of the season where ours (and definitely the Mariners) is softening up soon
Remaining Schedule SOS
12. Rangers - .505
24. Mariner - .480
28. Astros - .471

If we rank the remaining opponents (>60% Playoffs Odds / 40-60% Odds / 10-40% Odds / <10% Odds)
A s t r o s 9 / 3 / 9 / 15
Rangers 21 / 1 / 3 / 12
Mariners 17 / 0 / 3 / 17

I think we win the most favorable schedule remaining.
AustinCountyAg
bearkatag15 said:

If Chas has a similar year next year to this year, talk about buying out his arbitration years with an extension might be in play

Chas is under control for another 3 years after this season, at which point he will then be 31 years old. Lets tap the brakes on giving him a multi year contract.
Farmer1906
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

bearkatag15 said:

If Chas has a similar year next year to this year, talk about buying out his arbitration years with an extension might be in play

Chas is under control for another 3 years after this season, at which point he will then be 31 years old. Lets tap the brakes on giving him a multi year contract.

I kind of forget that Chas, Javier, Garcia, Abreu, & Jake are all still so young in their careers. They feel like they have been around for a while, but most are just in year 3.
redline248
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

bearkatag15 said:

Since the start of last year:

Chas - 737 PA, .263/.351/.467, 33 HR, 98 RBI 131 wRC+
That would rank him somewhere around the 15-16th best player in MLB this year.

Maybe a 4 or 5 year deal would be ok
gigemJTH12
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

From everything I'm hearing in regards to Framber and Javier, I'm not optimistic we see a big turnaround.
what does that mean? sorry if I missed something
texasaggie2015
AG
Extreme arm fatigue. Unless they get shut down for a while, I wouldn't expect a dramatic improvement.
Mr.Bond
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Extreme arm fatigue. Unless they get shut down for a while, I wouldn't expect a dramatic improvement.
time for sniffing salts
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

CFTXAG10
AG
JV
Framber
CJ
France
Brown
Urquidy

Skip the guys who need a reset at least once in the rotation. If not, at least work on a tandem start situation with guys in the pen to limit innings. It's not worth letting Framber and CJ limp to the finish line for a playoff berth and hope they can run off fumes in the post-season.

Wabs
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Get both of them some time on the IL, especially when we can call up another pitcher in September.
CoachAg19
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

It wouldn't hurt one bit from a physical or mental standpoint for them to both skip a turn or two in the rotation down the stretch.
I am really starting to think that our 1-2 punch going into the postseason will be JV and France.
MAROON
AG
Wabs said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Get both of them some time on the IL, especially when we can call up another pitcher in September.
Really hard to do in a race to make the playoffs, although i agree they need some rest (as does Brown).
In years past we had this luxury because we had such a large lead in the division. All these AAA Sunday line-ups throughout the season are now rearing their ugly head.
JYDog90
AG
Mr.Bond said:

texasaggie2015 said:

time for sniffing salts

Time to call Roger Clemens to see if his guy can give our guys a couple of shots in the buttocks.
Ag_07
AG
Watching us play Boston last night gave me flashbacks to that 2021 ALCS when we they absolutely dominated us in those GMs 2 and 3 yet we pulled it out.

That was a wild series and with the way our pitching was dismantled the outlook after GM 3 was incredibly bleak. They were in driver seat for sure.

Still brings a smile to my face thinking about us pulling it out at home and seeing Cora tear up outside their locker room postgame.
Farmer1906
AG
I loved that series. Down to the last strike and Castro comes through. Then the hit parade was on to a blowout. Framber and Garcia threw absolute gems in games 5 and 6 to send us to the WS.
First Page Last Page
Page 1846 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.