***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,476,846 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
tjack16 said:

At the halfway point of the season (81 games), the Mariners were 39-42

Since then they are 30-13
113 win pace for ~2 months.
Beat40
tjack16 said:

Marvin said:

You purists can check out of the thread all you want. I love having passionate discussion, even when it's bipolar and swings wildly within the same game. Sometimes we need a break, and sometimes misery loves company. Sometimes we just need to vent. It's makes the lows low, but it also makes the highs incredibly awesome.

To each his (or her) own!

Yeah if people want logical… a fan forum thread in the middle of a playoff race isn't the place for that. I'd rather have passionate/bi-polar fanbase than a fanbase who doesn't really care.
But the bi-polar teeters on the edge of jumping off a cliff and it's really, really tough to wade through. I mean, it's literally pages and pages of negativity until the team is leading to the point it's exhausting. I didn't read a word of this thread over the weekend.

This thread is actually the worst when the team is losing. It isn't fun.

What I mean is this - the Astros could be down 1 or 2 in the 6th and the tone of the thread is they are getting blown out. That's a pretty consistent tone when the Astros aren't leading.
Farmer1906
AG
RETURN OF THE KING

gougler08
AG
Glad Diaz keeps getting ABs
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Beat40 said:

tjack16 said:

Marvin said:

You purists can check out of the thread all you want. I love having passionate discussion, even when it's bipolar and swings wildly within the same game. Sometimes we need a break, and sometimes misery loves company. Sometimes we just need to vent. It's makes the lows low, but it also makes the highs incredibly awesome.

Yeah if people want logical… a fan forum thread in the middle of a playoff race isn't the place for that. I'd rather have passionate/bi-polar fanbase than a fanbase who doesn't really care.
But the bi-polar teeters on the edge of jumping off a cliff and it's really, really tough to wade through. I mean, it's literally pages and pages of negativity until the team is leading to the point it's exhausting. I didn't read a word of this thread over the weekend.

What I mean is this - the Astros could be down 1 or 2 in the 6th and the tone of the thread is they are getting blown out. That's a pretty consistent tone when the Astros aren't leading.
ding ding ding. And it's obnoxious. And for the most part it's a lot of people who don't exist during a discussion like the thread has been since 11am or so today. I avoid Aggie football threads for the same reason and this thread never use to be like that.
tjack16
AG
Both valid points. It also probably doesn't help that this is pretty much the only sport going on. September-October at least have football so it's not 100% of sports emotion going into the Astros like it is over the summer months
AgLA06
AG
Farmer1906 said:

It's hard to tell where the drops are because so many guys play multiple positions, but it's pretty much across the board minus 1B. The biggest drop is RF.
I think that's a huge contributor. Outside of Bregman last night there were multiple miscues (not all errors) not by the player that plays that position the most.
Farmer1906
AG
gougler08 said:

Glad Diaz keeps getting ABs
Last 30 Days - 169 wRC+ which is 20th best in baseball. Only Altuve is hotter than him over that time.
Chas, TED, and Breggy not too far behind at 150, 149, & 140.
redline248
AG
We've had some OF dive for balls that I would estimate at really low catch chance that they missed and allowed extra bases. We've had 2 1B in and out that aren't great, plus Diaz occasionally. We've seen some 50/50 throws not get caught/scooped/knocked down.

Then there are the bone headed errors, passed balls and throws into the OF on steal attempts.

A thousand "paper cuts," if you will.
OKCAg2002
AG
It's been really interesting to see Diaz get so many starts at 1B lately. It makes you wish that he could have done this in April and May and not August, but it is what it is. How does he project over there in his career? Could he actually play a lot of 1B in the future?
Farmer1906
AG
Beau Holder
AG
He should be the first string catcher starting yesterday but I suppose next year realistically.
Beat40
OKCAg2002 said:

It's been really interesting to see Diaz get so many starts at 1B lately. It makes you wish that he could have done this in April and May and not August, but it is what it is. How does he project over there in his career? Could he actually play a lot of 1B in the future?
I'd rather him catch and have a good 1B.
Beau Holder
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Guessing Dana is starting to figure out the only way you keep Galaxy Brain from using the worst pieces he has available when it counts is to remove those pieces from the board.
OKCAg2002
AG
I get that, and he needs to primarily be a catcher. It it's impossible to play every game back there over the course of 162 games. Could he play more 1B in his future and let Yordan DH? He doesn't seem like a liability over there, but I also don't think he's a real strength at the moment.
Farmer1906
AG
OKCAg2002 said:

He played some in the minors. He doesn't look out of place at first. The sample size is very small tho. He's a +1 outs above average at first in that small sample.

But I think he's shown more than enough signs of being a damn good catcher. Add his offense and you have yourself a weapon that most teams don't. It's so much easier to find someone who can be plus on offense at 1B.

League Avg wRC+
1B - 112
C - 90

txags92
AG
Yordan hits better when it he is playing in the field.
texasaggie2015
AG
OKCAg2002 said:

They've been working with him at three different positions. Catcher, first base and left field.

He'll catch a lot next year.. but I think ideally they'll have someone who will catch about 40% of the time so he can play somewhere else (or even DH) to save his legs and increase the longevity of his career. They love his bat.
Farmer1906
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

OKCAg2002 said:

They've been working with him at three different positions. Catcher, first base and left field.

He'll catch a lot next year.. but I think ideally they'll have someone who will catch about 40% of the time so he can play somewhere else (or even DH) to save his legs and increase the longevity of his career. They love his bat.
I love to go get a framer like Hedges to split time with Yainer. Maybe he could help Diaz in that facet. Right now that's the only flaw on his quantifiable resume.
JYDog90
AG
Beat40 said:

OKCAg2002 said:

I'd rather him catch and have a good 1B.

Do we have one of those?
W
AG
Bregman has 5 x-base hits in his last 4 games
Prosperdick
AG
SpaceCityAg05 said:

That is what most concerns me right now. Teams and players slump or play badly, but the number of mental errors is off the charts for us right now, indicating our heads are not in the right place. THAT is not something I am used to seeing with this team.

Peña not going to 2B on an easy DP ball was unbelievable and cost us dearly. That is different than a bad throw or misplay and I am seeing a lot of it in recent days.
I agree...there's something going on with the team in general.

It's almost like they're coached by someone who sleepwalks through games, never defends his team when they get bent over by the umpiring crew, and constantly ****s with a lineup so nobody knows when/where/how much they're playing on any given day.

And yes, that "style" worked last year because we didn't get bit particularly hard by the injury bug and there was way less lineup tinkering (mostly just head scratching days off).

Here's to hoping he's figured it out and we go on a run.
texasaggie2015
AG
There's some optimism that once Abreu gets right he will start to produce. He's been fighting these back issues since spring training. Will he be the same as he was before this year? I doubt it. But he might not be a black hole in the lineup either.

Here's what I want to know and I haven't gotten an answer on this. Was Abreu hiding the injury or were the Astros pushing him through it? Because it seemed like he was fighting through something all year and I highly doubt nobody in the organization noticed.
JYDog90
AG
I didn't realize he was that bad defensively. Is that a result of the back or was he always subpar?
texasaggie2015
AG
Prosperdick said:

SpaceCityAg05 said:

That is what most concerns me right now. Teams and players slump or play badly, but the number of mental errors is off the charts for us right now, indicating our heads are not in the right place. THAT is not something I am used to seeing with this team.

Peña not going to 2B on an easy DP ball was unbelievable and cost us dearly. That is different than a bad throw or misplay and I am seeing a lot of it in recent days.
And yes, that "style" worked last year because we didn't get bit particularly hard by the injury bug and there was way less lineup tinkering (mostly just head scratching days off).
There's a reason Dusty has been fired from every stop he's made during his career and there's a reason why it took until last year to win his first World Series.

You won't find someone more respected as a person across the league than Dusty Baker.. but it's no secret that he has his flaws as a manager.

I think this season is the first time during his stint here that the team just isn't good or deep enough to overcome his flaws.

That said, there's some things Dusty has done behind the scenes that have done wonders for this club. One example is he fought endlessly for Yuli Gurriel to be on the postseason roster last year. He wasn't going to be, but the front office finally gave in and Yuli performed. Maybe that was lucky. I don't know. But Dusty was the one person who went to bat for him.

I'll be surprised to see Dusty back with the Astros next year. Dana Brown wants someone who is his guy managing this team and I believe Jim Crane will oblige.
texasaggie2015
AG
He's never been great but he's never been awful either. Pretty average as far as I can remember. I think his back has really affected every part of his game this year.
linkdude
AG
With Altuve and Alvarez out I'm sure he put a lot of pressure on himself to be 'that dude' night in and night out.
Ag_07
AG
Quote:

I'll be surprised to see Dusty back with the Astros next year. Dana Brown wants someone who is his guy managing this team and I believe Jim Crane will oblige.

Beau Holder
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Prosperdick said:

SpaceCityAg05 said:

Dreams do come true
Marvin
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

This is based off what I've been told. The same guys who led the locker room during last year's World Series run are still on the roster.

I was mainly asking about your last comment. Is there really a feeling in the organization or on the team that Dusty is dicking around?
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
texasaggie2015
AG
More so the organization. I know there's been some disagreements this year. I'm not sure to what extent but there's been frustration for sure.
KC_Ag14
AG
Lest we forget the circumstances the organization was under that led them to hiring Dusty. For all his flaws, he was not a bad fit at the time because he was an outsider, a players coach, and didn't care what the media was saying about the organization. That said, he was never the long term answer. Winning the World Series was a huge bonus, and an enormous feather in his cap. But the organization is in a place where the scandal is relatively behind them, and they can focus on hiring a manager for the future past 2023.
BadAggie
AG
Beat40 said:

tjack16 said:

Marvin said:

100%. Don't get it either. You'd think this was a team that's never won anything.

tjack16
AG
This is the mariners next 9 games. Needless to say we need to stack some wins asap

chlavinka
AG
Dusty is arguably the greatest manager in Astros history
First Page Last Page
Page 1824 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.