***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,476,836 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Fangraphs loves it some Astros
Texaggie7nine
Biggest thing we have going for us is the pitchers that are crapping the bed now have history of dominating in post season, it's not like we are really rolling in with new starters this year.
7nine
Farmer1906
AG
The final stretch of the season is going to be interesting.

Starting Sep 11th we have 3 va OAK, 3 @KC, 3 vs BAL, 3 vs KC, 3 @ SEA, & 3 @ AZ (could be out of the WC by then). 12 for the final 18 could be extremely winnable.

he Seattle series is sandwiched between 3 and 4 game SEA/TEX series. Either one will take the other out or they'll both do damage to each other and we make up ground with an easier finish.

Just before that run, we get Arlington Sept 4-6. That will be a huge opportunity to flip the standings.
JDUB08AG
AG
I haven't felt comfortable or excited for a CJ start since early June
Beat40
JDUB08AG said:

I actually feel better for a CJ start at this moment than I do Framber. I feel like CJ has become a little more consistent. He's not going deep, but it does feel as if he's coming around.
texasaggie2015
AG
Man, I sure don't. I'm going to be scared to death until he starts to generate more whiffs. Especially against lefty heavy lineups.
JDUB08AG
AG
Beat40 said:

JDUB08AG said:

I actually feel better for a CJ start at this moment than I do Framber. I feel like CJ has become a little more consistent. He's not going deep, but it does feel as if he's coming around.
I need to go back and check, but it felt like his recent starts continue to teeter on the edge of total disaster with insane pitch counts.
Marvin
AG
You purists can check out of the thread all you want. I love having passionate discussion, even when it's bipolar and swings wildly within the same game. Sometimes we need a break, and sometimes misery loves company. Sometimes we just need to vent. It's makes the lows low, but it also makes the highs incredibly awesome.

To each his (or her) own!
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Beat40
texasaggie2015 said:

Man, I sure don't. I'm going to be scared to death until he starts to generate more whiffs. Especially against lefty heavy lineups.
I'm not saying I'm not nervous, I'm just saying I don't know what in the world has happened to Framber lately. Outside of the no hitter, his last 3-4 starts have been yeesh.
texasaggie2015
AG
Both Framber and Javier are pitching through extreme arm fatigue. From the sound of it, I'm not very optimistic either one of them will turn things around dramatically.
Beat40
JDUB08AG said:

Beat40 said:

JDUB08AG said:

I need to go back and check, but it felt like his recent starts continue to teeter on the edge of total disaster with insane pitch counts.
Oh, I'm not saying he's been super effective and could have given up many more runs, but I'm talking about I feel like he's coming around from the fact his FB is back up to 94/95 the last few games. It feels like he's slowly starting to look more like himself from the actual pitching side.

I believe once he locates the secondary stuff so that it's more competitive, he's going to become effective again now his FB is seemingly back as far as MPH goes.
AgLA06
AG
Farmer1906 said:

In general, I am not a huge fan of players-only meetings. I am glad this team feels the need to do so even though its pacing to 91 wins. .
Definitely. If you have to have a team meeting to talk about it and what needs to be done, it means no one is doing so otherwise.

Sat with another dad I don't know well for Sunday's game. We both commented that there just doesn't appear to be any sense of urgency or leadership on the field. Diaz was the only one that showed any emotion or pep and he didn't play great with that lazy past ball. Everyone just seemed to be going through the motions.

No real communication or interaction amongst the tea when on the field. Bad errors and not doing basic things like holding runners on base.

I don't know if there isn't a real team leader or if so many different combinations of lineups and injuries just haven't allowed them to jell this year.
CFTXAG10
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Both Framber and Javier are pitching through extreme arm fatigue. From the sound of it, I'm not very optimistic either one of them will turn things around dramatically.
Just because my curiousity got the best of me I looked up some stats on Framber. 7th in all MLB for innings pitched and 13th in # of batters faced. He has pitched A LOT.
Beat40
texasaggie2015 said:

Both Framber and Javier are pitching through extreme arm fatigue. I'm not very optimistic either one of them will turn things around dramatically.
If it's known Framber has arm fatigue, I don't like keep running him out there. It probably would have been better to give him 2 or so starts off. Literally has hurt the team.
Farmer1906
AG
AgLA06 said:

Farmer1906 said:

In general, I am not a huge fan of players-only meetings. I am glad this team feels the need to do so even though its pacing to 91 wins. .
Definitely. If you have to have a team meeting to talk about it and what needs to be done, it means no one is doing so otherwise.

Sat with another dad I don't know well for Sunday's game. We both commented that there just doesn't appear to be any sense of urgency or leadership on the field. Diaz was the only one that showed any emotion or pep and he didn't play great with that lazy past ball. Everyone just seemed to be going through the motions.

No real communication or interaction amongst the tea when on the field. Bad errors and not doing basic things like holding runners on base.

I don't know if there isn't a real team leader or if so many different combinations of lineups and injuries just haven't allowed them to jell this year.
I feel like this is just something you (general you, not specifically you) see when the team is looking bad. You just interpret things you'd otherwise ignore/not notice.

This team is loaded with vets and vets who have won at the highest level consistently. I think they go about the game in a professional manner without getting too high, too low, or wearing their emotions on their sleeves.

AgLA06
AG
Beat40 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Both Framber and Javier are pitching through extreme arm fatigue. I'm not very optimistic either one of them will turn things around dramatically.
If it's known Framber has arm fatigue, I don't like keep running him out there. It probably would have been better to give him 2 or so starts off. Literally has hurt the team.
Especially considering for the first time all year we aren't short on pitchers.
texasaggie2015
AG
He pitched deep into the World Series and also pitched in the WBC. Same with Javier. I expected to see fatigue at some point this year but A) Not to this extreme and B) Was hoping we would have a big enough lead to where we could skip a handful of starts down the stretch
Farmer1906
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Whatever we thought Javier found in July hasn't continued in Aug. Not getting whiffs, Ks, while giving up walks and hits.

texasaggie2015
AG
I'm also confident in saying there's no shortage of leadership on this team.
Beat40
Farmer1906 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Whatever we thought Javier found in July hasn't continued in Aug. Not getting whiffs, Ks, while giving up walks and hits.

Thank you for this. I have been projecting what I've seen in July from him for these August starts.
Farmer1906
AG
Looking on the bright side of things, Seattle's pitching is impressive. They've built a good culture and pipeline of pitchers. Max Weiner was heavily involved. He's Schloss's new weapon. Aggie baseball might finally figure out its pitching woes after the last 2 seasons.
AgLA06
AG
A crappy game definitely makes it appear worse. Normally don't expect to see balls hitting major leaguer's gloves and not be outs. There was a lot of that Sunday.
Beat40
Farmer1906 said:

AgLA06 said:

Farmer1906 said:

I feel like this is just something you (general you, not specifically you) see when the team is looking bad. You just interpret things you'd otherwise ignore/not notice.

This team is loaded with vets and vets who have won at the highest level consistently. I think they go about the game in a professional manner without getting too high, too low, or wearing their emotions on their sleeves.

I also have seen this type of thing said in multiple games this season when the team is losing ("there is no fire," "there is no urgency," "no one cares enough about winning") and then the team comes back and wins the game.
AgLA06
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Sometimes that makes it worse. Kinda like when everyone at a bad wreck expectes someone else to call 911 so no one actually does.
Farmer1906
AG
AgLA06 said:

A crappy game definitely makes it appear worse. Normally don't expect to see balls hitting major leaguer's gloves and not be outs. There was a lot of that Sunday.
Fair. Our defense has been probably the worst I can remember in recent memory.
texasaggie2015
AG
There's really no issues in the locker room. This is all about the perfect storm of a worn out pitching staff, gaping holes in the lineup, injuries, and a manager with little to no sense of urgency.
Beat40
Farmer1906 said:

AgLA06 said:

I am curious as to why that is. Doesn't help the best OF didn't consistently play much this year and Pena clearly has been going through something.
Farmer1906
AG
AgLA06 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Sometimes that makes it worse. Kinda like when everyone at a bad wreck expectes someone else to call 911 so no one actually does.
The "Bystander Effect".
SpaceCityAg05
AG
That is what most concerns me right now. Teams and players slump or play badly, but the number of mental errors is off the charts for us right now, indicating our heads are not in the right place. THAT is not something I am used to seeing with this team.

Peña not going to 2B on an easy DP ball was unbelievable and cost us dearly. That is different than a bad throw or misplay and I am seeing a lot of it in recent days.
Marvin
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

There's really no issues in the locker room. This is all about the perfect storm of a worn out pitching staff, gaping holes in the lineup, injuries, and a manager with little to no sense of urgency.

Is this an opinion, all of it from intel, or a mix? Not questioning you, just trying to make sure which is which.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
tjack16
AG
Marvin said:

You purists can check out of the thread all you want. I love having passionate discussion, even when it's bipolar and swings wildly within the same game. Sometimes we need a break, and sometimes misery loves company. Sometimes we just need to vent. It's makes the lows low, but it also makes the highs incredibly awesome.

To each his (or her) own!

Yeah if people want logical… a fan forum thread in the middle of a playoff race isn't the place for that. I'd rather have passionate/bi-polar fanbase than a fanbase who doesn't really care.
texasaggie2015
AG
This is based off what I've been told. The same guys who led the locker room during last year's World Series run are still on the roster.
Farmer1906
AG
Beat40 said:

Farmer1906 said:

AgLA06 said:

I am curious as to why that is. Doesn't help the best OF didn't consistently play much this year and Pena clearly has been going through something.
Checked the #s

Here is our defense based on statcast's Fielding Run Value

2016 - 31.9
2017 - 0.6
2018 - 49.2
2019 - 18.5
2020 - 0.7
2021 - 29.7
2022 - 26.7
2023 - 0.0

It's hard to tell where the drops are because so many guys play multiple positions, but it's pretty much across the board minus 1B. The biggest drop is RF.
tjack16
AG
At the halfway point of the season (81 games), the Mariners were 39-42

Since then they are 30-13
Farmer1906
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Beat40 said:

Farmer1906 said:

AgLA06 said:

Checked the #s

Here is our defense based on statcast's Fielding Run Value

2016 - 31.9
2017 - 0.6
2018 - 49.2
2019 - 18.5
2020 - 0.7
2021 - 29.7
2022 - 26.7
2023 - 0.0

It's hard to tell where the drops are because so many guys play multiple positions, but it's pretty much across the board minus 1B. The biggest drop is RF.
Best Seasons
2018 Correa - 15.5
2016 Marisnick - 13.1
2018 Stassi - 10.7 (frame king)
2016 Castro - 10.5 (frame king)
2021 McCormick - 10.4

Worst Seasons
2016 Correa - -13.2
2023 Maldonado - -12.0 (will likely take the #1 spot)
2019 Brantley - -6.8
2022 Gurriel - -6.8
2019 Chirinos - -6.4
First Page Last Page
Page 1823 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.