***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,502,542 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
agproducer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
tjack16 said:

agproducer said:

I'm not sunshine pumping, but let's put this in perspective:

We are struggling right now, but if we win today, the Mariners will have made up just 1 game with the series.

We have not lost any ground against the Rangers.

There is still a lot of time to right the ship.

It's baseball. You get hot. You struggle. You sometimes just try to keep things afloat.

This is the typical August swoon.

I get all that… but I'm tired of "at least we didn't lose ground against the Rangers" being a reason to celebrate. This team is too good to settle for 2nd place

Pointing it out is different than celebrating it. It's more of a silver lining sort of thing. I agree this team is too good to settle for second place. But this total cliff jumping by many is just too much.
JDUB08AG
AG
There is absolutely zero excuse to not have Diaz behind the plate today. Zero. None.
tjack16
AG
The cliff jumping is dumb I agree.

I admit I've been guilty of the "well at least we didn't lose ground" thought, and it was a good mentality to have during June/July. But now that we are less than 40 games away from the end, the team needs to switch the mentality on their end from just stay close, to let's take advantage of the rangers losing.
Prosperdick
AG
JDUB08AG said:

There is absolutely zero excuse to not have Diaz behind the plate today. Zero. None.
I understand that there's a lot that goes on behind the scenes that we, as fans, don't see.

Fine. If Diaz was a liability behind the plate and only a good stick I could almost see the argument but each time he's behind the dish he's throwing guys out, hitting bombs, and the team IS F***ING WINNING!!!!

Maldy needs to put on his big boy pants and understand he's 37 and he's now the backup. Help Diaz prepare behind the scenes (from what I understand he's already doing that...great) and he can continue to catch Framber and hopefully work him out of his funk or here's an idea, let Framber throw to Diaz, who knows, he might actually do better.

It's almost as if Donkey has made it clear to the FO that Maldy is THE MAN and he's afraid to catch Diaz more because he doesn't want to be proven wrong. The lack of a challenge last night either consciously or subconsciously (or hell, unconsciously) prevented him from simply using it because he doesn't want Diaz's numbers to improve as he knows he'll catch more flack from Dana.

He wants to be able to pat Dana on the head and say "I'm the wise veteran manager, I know best, stop questioning me. Don't you know I won it all last year?" To which Dana should retort: "the TEAM won it all last year Dusty, you were mostly along for the ride. Now play Diaz at catcher."
CoachAg19
AG
agproducer said:

I'm not sunshine pumping, but let's put this in perspective:

We are struggling right now, but if we win today, the Mariners will have made up just 1 game with the series.

We have not lost any ground against the Rangers.

There is still a lot of time to right the ship.

It's baseball. You get hot. You struggle. You sometimes just try to keep things afloat.

This is the typical August swoon.

Perspective? The perspective is…
The Mariners won the season series, hold a tie breaker over us if necessary, and made up a game on us.

We haven't gained any ground on the Rangers, who have lost three straight.

There's a lot of time, but look at our remaining schedule…outside of Detroit, KC, and Oakland it's pretty stout. It's past time to right the ship…it has to happen now!

Outside of Altuve and Tucker, nobody in our lineup has been "hot" in quite some time. I'm channeling my inner-Dusty on this and not including Diaz even though he's been incredibly consistent.
Class of 2010
redline248
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Good thing we have the soothing presence of Maldy behind the dish keeping him in line.
FrioAg 00
AG
Here is my captain optimism take on a Sunday morning…

We brought Seattle much tighter in the race for the division without losing ground to either the Rangers or the Jays (wild card competition)

Given the 7 games between Seattle and the Rangers to end the season - I don't hate getting it close to a 3 way tie going into that stretch
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Mr.Bond
AG
This is as much of a must win game as you can possibly have in the month of august.
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

Mr.Bond
AG
Lineup posted..... no tuck
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
FrioAg 00
AG
Singleton, Dubon, Julks, Pena

Ooof
linkdude
AG
I'm more worried about HB limiting hard contact than the lineup.
Mathguy64
AG
Called Julks last night. Tucker being out has been devastating.
redline248
AG
Somehow, the Mariners 5-9 is worse than Houston's
redline248
AG
Astros have never faced Hancock? That is probably not good
FrioAg 00
AG
Of course, that's why baseball is so interesting. We have 4 dudes playing (and 1 not playing) that are having a better season than Rodriguez.

But this weekend he's the best player on the field and it's not close.

1836er
AG
I absolutely detest that MLB puts regular season games behind exclusive streaming paywalls like Peacock. Just realized there's no way to sign up for the free seven day trial without giving them payment info.
TRM
AG
Well, at least Dusty has the right catcher in the lineup. Sucks it's the best we can do with Tuck out.
jah003
S
FrioAg 00 said:

Singleton, Dubon, Julks, Pena

Ooof

If we get a singular RBI out of this group I'll be ecstatic.
Panama Red
AG
1836er said:

I absolutely detest that MLB puts regular season games behind exclusive streaming paywalls like Peacock. Just realized there's no way to sign up for the free seven day trial without giving them payment info.

Get used to it. It's the future.

It's coming soon to college football as Big10 already starting it this year.
Dies Irae
The good thing about having a stay at home wife is you find out you have access to streaming services you never knew you were paying for. Apparently we have Peacock
agdaddy04
AG
Only reason we have it is because it's free for all xfinity users.
W
AG
Tucker is a 26-year old professional athlete

how does he get sick for 3 or 4 days-in-a-row?

W
AG
the .650 OPS guys never get sick
linkdude
AG
JDUB08AG
AG
WTF dusty. Let him play. I hate our manager so ****ing much.
linkdude
AG
And he hates us just as equally
EastCoastAgNc
AG

"He's got an owie from the mean guy wearing orange"
Mathguy64
AG
Most important game of the season and he's going to intentionally sit Tucker. If he's been cleared to play he should play.

Guess it's more important to get Julks some PT.

At the end of the season Dusty will add to his legacy of getting fired by all the best clubs. They will say he's on a 1 year contract and he chose to walk. But we all will know.
agdaddy04
AG
This better be the case.
Jbob04
AG
JDUB08AG said:

WTF dusty. Let him play. I hate our manager so ****ing much.

I'm convinced Dusty reads this board and is intentionally ****ing with us.
Dies Irae
I have posted on these threads in the depths of 51-111 despair and through all the World Series season and will continue to do so win or lose, but I have a very bad feeling about this season. I think we miss the playoffs and have maybe one or two bullets left afterwards before our door closes.
2ndChanceAg96
AG
I would have enjoyed watching Framber knock him out last night.
First Page Last Page
Page 1802 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.