***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,502,441 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
W
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
so Tucker got sick on an off day?

sounds like he's out for the series if Julks got called up
tjack16
AG
What's crazy is that honestly seattle has a shot at winning the division too if they win tomorrow
CFTXAG10
AG
W said:

time for a team meeting

I thought the same thing but no idea who leads it. Tuve? Verlander? Can't think of any other leaders with enough weight
Ciboag96
tjack16 said:

What's crazy is that honestly seattle has a shot at winning the division too if they win tomorrow

Agreed. Hotter than a $2 hooker on nickel night
Mathguy64
AG
W said:

Mathguy64 said:

So. No tie breaker against Seattle, TB and Toronto. Just to recall, against TB and Toronto Dusty chose to play Sunday rest lineups to give up the belly.

Fan stuff.
this is going to loom large down the stretch -- losing the tiebreakers against the other wildcard teams

a 2-game lead in the standings is only a 1-game margin

Yep.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Beau Holder
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

W said:

time for a team meeting

I thought the same thing but no idea who leads it. Tuve? Verlander? Can't think of any other leaders with enough weight

Fly in Correa at this point.
tjack16
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

W said:

time for a team meeting

Bregman used to be pretty fiery … maybe he can channel that 2017-2019 energy for a team meeting
Project Gemini
AG
W said:

so Tucker got sick on an off day?

sounds like he's out for the series if Julks got called up
I believe there was a Kessinger issue as well and Julks came up in his spot, not Tucker's

edit: yeah, Kessinger went on the 10-day IL
tjack16
AG
Last Pena homerun … July 5th

Yikes
W
AG
ground ball machine
AggiEE
Only silver lining in this is that as the season has progressed and we've run into bad periods, it seems that Dusty (either through his own volition or being forced to) has improved the lineup.

Maybe we will eventually get to the point where Maldy starts 1 every 5 or 6 games instead of the other way around.

I'm not very hopeful, but maybe it will happen if we get desperate enough. I cannot believe our season may come down to complete and total mismanagement of a few key positions. Replacing Maldy with Diaz is an absolute game changer.
agdaddy04
AG
tjack16 said:

CFTXAG10 said:

W said:

time for a team meeting

Bregman used to be pretty fiery … maybe he can channel that 2017-2019 energy for a team meeting

They need Uncle Mike back in the clubhouse.
linkdude
AG
They need Tucker in the lineup even more. He's the real MVP...
agdaddy04
AG
True
EastCoastAgNc
AG

EastCoastAgNc
AG
Bondag
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

And in all that has a no hitter
CorpsTerd04
AG
I was depressed yesterday after buying 7 tickets for the family and watching that horrible game. Can't believe it was worse tonight. I thought we would've bounced back and I would've been pissed I did not go tonight. My parents had not been to a Astros game since they retired so they were so excited. It was obviously not the series to be entertained.
W
AG
the Mariners' starting pitching is an awful matchup for the Astros' right-handed heavy lineup
W
AG
it's time for Brantley to join the big league club
Bioish
AG
I spent a lot too to watch them have a crappy offensive performance. Hopefully things get better…
AggiEE
W said:

the Mariners' starting pitching is an awful matchup for the Astros' right-handed heavy lineup

Somehow Dusty "changed his mind" on Singleton too
Mathguy64
AG
W said:

Our manager made the choice to start Maldy, forcing the choice of Diaz over Singleton at 1B. And since he chose Dubon over Yordan in LF and was forced to put Yordan at DH, it left the lefty Singleton on the pine.

He's literally making a lineup every game around the worst catcher in baseball. Worst hitting and worst catching catcher. A catcher that literally makes the pitching staff worse. And he's going to ride that horse until the end of the season.
linkdude
AG
I'll admit it, it's funny
Big Al 1992
AG
Longest win streaks 4 in April, 8 in May (4 White Sox, 3 A's 1 Brewers), 3 in June, 4 in July, 3 in August

Longest losing streaks 3 in April, 3 in May, 4 and 5 in June, 2 in July, 2 in August

So other than against some tomato cans in May, this team has yet to get hot.

Constantly mixing up your lineup and not playing your best players or not giving your best players more ABs is not a recipe for getting hot.
BMX Bandit
If Framber doesn't figure out how to pitch again, it won't matter what lineup dusty trots out. Team is going nowhere unless he gets right
tjack16
AG
As of now there are two guys I have faith in to get a quality start in the playoffs. JP France and Verlander

I know it's crazy but to me those are your 1-2 guys in the rotation come October.
Boiling Denim
Alright I slept on it in hopes a cooler head would prevail this morning….but that's not the case

Our starting pitching is broken…and i thinks it's all Maldy's fault

I think we need to audit Maldy's game prep work. Is anyone fact checking this guy?
Prosperdick
AG
Mathguy64 said:

W said:

Our manager made the choice to start Maldy, forcing the choice of Diaz over Singleton at 1B. And since he chose Dubon over Yordan in LF and was forced to put Yordan at DH, it left the lefty Singleton on the pine.

He's literally making a lineup every game around the worst catcher in baseball. Worst hitting and worst catching catcher. A catcher that literally makes the pitching staff worse. And he's going to ride that horse until the end of the season.
Donkey knows more than you, and your fan stuff. Donkey doesn't need to run out and complain when we get hosed by the HPU over and over again. He also doesn't need to use his challenges...heck, for all we know he thinks those are only available during the playoffs.

At this point the only silver lining will be Donkey retiring because unless Maldy breaks something, other than records of offensive and defensive futility, this team is DOA in the playoffs (if we even make them).
agproducer
AG
I'm not sunshine pumping, but let's put this in perspective:

We are struggling right now, but if we win today, the Mariners will have made up just 1 game with the series.

We have not lost any ground against the Rangers.

There is still a lot of time to right the ship.

It's baseball. You get hot. You struggle. You sometimes just try to keep things afloat.

This is the typical August swoon.
tremble
AG
That's honestly the worst part. He puts the team in a position to fail and then he doesn't even support them when they get hosed.

He's stealing money.
tjack16
AG
agproducer said:

We are struggling right now, but if we win today, the Mariners will have made up just 1 game with the series.

It's baseball. You get hot. You struggle. You sometimes just try to keep things afloat.

I get all that… but I'm tired of "at least we didn't lose ground against the Rangers" being a reason to celebrate. This team is too good to settle for 2nd place
Boiling Denim
agproducer said:

Seattle also won the season series which is basically another game due to tiebreakers.

And any optimism is predicated on our manager actually prioritizing hot streaks instead of rest down the stretch
EastCoastAgNc
AG
tremble said:

That's honestly the worst part. He puts the team in a position to fail and then he doesn't even support them when they get hosed.

He's stealing money.

This has to be the reason he didn't challenge the obvious trap last night
First Page Last Page
Page 1801 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.