***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,517,857 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
tjack16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How some of y'all are bumping Yordan and Tucker down in the lineup in favor of Brantley is funny to me. He's been out for over a year now and he's older. I'd bat him 6th or 7th until he proves he's back to what he was

Altuve
Bregman
Tucker
Alvarez
Diaz
Abreu
Brantley
Chas
Pena

Would be my lineup
mAgnoliAg
AG
Some of yalls lineups are worse than Dusty's given the same players.
txags92
AG
tjack16 said:

How some of y'all are bumping Yordan and Tucker down in the lineup in favor of Brantley is funny to me. He's been out for over a year now and he's older. I'd bat him 6th or 7th until he proves he's back to what he was

Altuve
Bregman
Tucker
Alvarez
Diaz
Abreu
Brantley
Chas
Pena

Would be my lineup
Why do you want a guy with a .917 OPS hitting in the 8 spot? And what has Abreu done to justify hitting 6th with his .634 OPS?
Wabs
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

This. I honestly don't care anymore. Anyone still butthurt about it just wants something to be mad about. It must be exhausting.

It's fun to be hated for once.

Edit to add: The only thing that still rubs me the wrong way it the Altuve hate and accusations. The dude is an incredible human being and has an amazing story and would be such an inspiration for kids if a dildo on the internet didn't start a bogus rumor and thousands of low IQ people went along with it.
This is all due to Jomboy and his dumbassery.
Farmer1906
AG
Trash Bang Altuve - 160 wRC+
Buzzer Altuve - 137 wRC+
Aging Altuve - 165 wRC+ ('22/'23)

Its almost like either that cheating didn't help him or he didn't cheat at all.
Prosperdick
AG
tjack16 said:

Altuve
Bregman
Tucker
Alvarez
Diaz
Abreu
Brantley
Chas
Pena

Would be my lineup
Chas 8th??? You must hate him more than Dusty does lol.

Here's the lineup:

Altuve
Bregman
Alvarez
Tucker
Chas
Diaz
Pendleton
Pena
Brantley

It sucks for Uncle Mike batting last but he would be one helluva hitter to turn your lineup over. No rest at all for opposing pitchers. I also wouldn't be opposed to switching Brantley and Pendleton.
Prosperdick
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Buzzer Altuve - 137 wRC+

I thought it was shown that out of everyone who used the trash cans, Altuve used it the least. Marwin and Gattis used it the most.

The fact he's the most hated player in baseball is one of the greatest tragedies of sports (ALL sports). It would be like if everyone suddenly hated Mr. Rogers.
Farmer1906
AG
Prosperdick said:

Farmer1906 said:

Buzzer Altuve - 137 wRC+

I thought it was shown that out of everyone who used the trash cans, Altuve used it the least. Marwin and Gattis used it the most.

The fact he's the most hated player in baseball is one of the greatest tragedies of sports (ALL sports). It would be like if everyone suddenly hated Mr. Rogers.
Correct. He was shown visibly angry at the dugout when it happened a few times.
Dies Irae
Prosperdick said:

Farmer1906 said:

Buzzer Altuve - 137 wRC+

But man Marwin was pretty elite that year

AggieDub04
AG
Prosperdick said:

tjack16 said:

Altuve
Bregman
Tucker
Alvarez
Diaz
Abreu
Brantley
Chas
Pena

Would be my lineup

Here's the lineup:

Altuve
Bregman
Alvarez
Tucker
Chas
Diaz
Pendleton
Pena
Brantley

It sucks for Uncle Mike batting last but he would be one helluva hitter to turn your lineup over. No rest at all for opposing pitchers. I also wouldn't be opposed to switching Brantley and Pendleton.

Assuming you mean Singelton vs Pendleton.

For ideal run creation you want your 3 best hitters at 1, 2, and 4 and your next two at 3 and 5. Additionally if platoon Brantley and Meyers. Meyers hits lefties well and Mike is mostly under 100 wRc+ vs lefties.

Altuve
Tucker
Bregman
Alvarez
McCormick
Diaz
Brantley/Meyers
Pena
Singleton
Farmer1906
AG
Which race are yall most looking forward to (besides ours)?

AL East - 2 games separate Tampa & Baltimore
AL WC - 0.5 games separates Seattle & Toronto
NL Central - 2 games separate Milwaukee, Chicago, & Cincy
NL WC - 2.5 games separate San Fran, Chicago, Cincy, Miami, & Arizona. (2 spots)
Wabs
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Which race are yall most looking forward to (besides ours)?

AL East - 2 games separate Tampa & Baltimore
AL WC - 0.5 games separates Seattle & Toronto
NL Central - 2 games separate Milwaukee, Chicago, & Cincy
NL WC - 2.5 games separate San Fran, Chicago, Cincy, Miami, & Arizona. (2 spots)

I'm interested in the NL WC race and will be really interested in a Dodgers/Braves NLCS.
Prosperdick
AG
AggieDub04 said:

Prosperdick said:

tjack16 said:

Altuve
Bregman
Tucker
Alvarez
Diaz
Abreu
Brantley
Chas
Pena

Would be my lineup

Here's the lineup:

Altuve
Bregman
Alvarez
Tucker
Chas
Diaz
Pendleton
Pena
Brantley

Assuming you mean Singelton vs Pendleton.

For ideal run creation you want your 3 best hitters at 1, 2, and 4 and your next two at 3 and 5. Additionally if platoon Brantley and Meyers. Meyers hits lefties well and Mike is mostly under 100 wRc+ vs lefties.

Altuve
Tucker
Bregman
Alvarez
McCormick
Diaz
Brantley/Meyers
Pena
Singleton

Oops, need another cup of coffee.
W
AG
yes, can the Dodgers and Braves get to the NLCS

both got dinged in the NLDS last year

that seems to happen quite a bit in the national league
tjack16
AG
txags92 said:

tjack16 said:

Altuve
Bregman
Tucker
Alvarez
Diaz
Abreu
Brantley
Chas
Pena

Would be my lineup
Why do you want a guy with a .917 OPS hitting in the 8 spot? And what has Abreu done to justify hitting 6th with his .634 OPS?

My lineup was assuming Dusty would keep Abreu up that far. I'm going with the best possible "Dusty approved lineup"

Should have specified
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I can't wait for uncle Mike to be back but I still believe it's going to be in a limited role and as a pinch hit off the bench option not an everyday lineup guy.
JDUB08AG
AG
Didn't cheat for one of the most important HRs in Astros history on the road against Jansen!
Prosperdick
AG
JDUB08AG said:

Didn't cheat for one of the most important HRs in Astros history on the road against Jansen!

Very true…at the time the biggest home run in Astros history. Still should be rated very high for the significance.

Of course, I think we can all agree on #1.

wmitchell
AG
Prosperdick said:

JDUB08AG said:

Very true…at the time the biggest home run in Astros history. Still should be rated very high for the significance. Of course, I think we can all agree on #1.

Queue someone posting the gif or video…. Always a great reminder
GoodBullShark
AG
Altuve
Bregman
Tucker
Alvarez
Diaz
Brantley
McCormick
Peña
Abreau

Dies Irae
Count me as one dude who gives not one flying you know what about the cheating scandal. That's like hammering a team in college football for paying players under the tables. Literally everyone does it; the rule is not to get caught.

From Ty Cobb sharpening his spikes, to the spitball, to Craig Biggio leaning into pitches with padded elbow, spider tack, pinetar and of course steroids; it is what it is.

The only people who pretend to care about what the astros did are sore losers who have sour grapes.
All I do is Nguyen
wmitchell said:

Prosperdick said:

JDUB08AG said:

Very true…at the time the biggest home run in Astros history. Still should be rated very high for the significance. Of course, I think we can all agree on #1.

No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
wmitchell
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

wmitchell said:

Prosperdick said:

JDUB08AG said:

Love that one too!!
Texaggie7nine
7nine
AgLA06
AG
GoodBullShark said:

Altuve (R)
Bregman (R)
Tucker (L)
Alvarez (L)
Diaz (R)
Brantley (L)
McCormick (R)
Abreau Singleton (L)
Peña (R)

The Porkchop Express
AG
This date in Astros history:

1989 - Rafael Ramirez gets a bases-loaded walk in the bottom of the ninth to beat the Cubs, 6-5. Glenn Davis scores after doubling home Bill Doran. Davis had homered the inning before. Dave Smith is the surprise winner. Billy Hatcher is traded to Pittsburgh for outfielder Glenn Wilson.

While I was sad to see Hatcher leave - although watching Glenn Wilson hose guys with that cannon of an arm was great - this is one of the greatest games in Astros history for me.

I was 15 and went to the game with my parents. My dad started razzing Jim Clancy early and often. Clancy had been brought over from Toronto to "replace" Nolan Ryan by going 7-14 with a 5.08 ERA. He replaced Nolan in this game by giving up 5 runs in 4 innings and during the 4th inning, when the Astros had a conference on the mound, my dad stood up and yelled "PUT IN ORBIT! CANT BE ANY ******* WORSE!"

Back then, my dad was still smoking 2 packs a day, and probably would have smoked 8 packs a day if there simply enough hours. They had banned smoking in the Dome a few years back, and we might have left early but the team fought back to down 5-4 in the bottom of the eighth.

Almost 3 hours without a cancer stick were wearing my dad down by the bottom of the ninth when Glenn Davis doubled in Bill Doran to tie it at 5-5. With two outs, the Cubs intentionally walked both Kevin Bass and Harry Spilman to loaded the bases for Rafael Ramirez.

My dad, now facing the prospect of extra innings without a cigarette, stood up and started screaming and clapping for Ramirez like it was Game 7 of the World Series and the Astros' opponent was Nazi Germany.
Incredibly, Ramirez, drew a 5-pitch walkoff walk in a season where he walked 29 times in 575 plate appearances to win the game 6-5.

My dad screamed and shouted, "WAY TO GO, BABE!" and led the charge up the pavilion stairs to the sweet blissful embrace of Mother Nicotine.

My dad locked in on Ramirez as his favorite player for the rest of his time with the Astros, continually calling him "Babe" whenever he saw him batting on TV or in person.
Mr.Bond
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

This is SO perfect
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

Ag_07
AG
Speaking of steroids I watched the Untold episode on BALCO last night.

It's pretty good and at the time it was just background noise for me so it was interesting to hear the whole ordeal and learn the details.

We always knew guys were juicing and they were huge but seeing them compared to how guys look now and it's comical.

And Victor Conte and Barry Bonds are two of the biggest PsOS in sports history
McInnis
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

This date in Astros history:

1989 - Rafael Ramirez gets a bases-loaded walk in the bottom of the ninth to beat the Cubs, 6-5. Glenn Davis scores after doubling home Bill Doran. Davis had homered the inning before. Dave Smith is the surprise winner. Billy Hatcher is traded to Pittsburgh for outfielder Glenn Wilson.

While I was sad to see Hatcher leave - although watching Glenn Wilson hose guys with that cannon of an arm was great - this is one of the greatest games in Astros history for me.

I was 15 and went to the game with my parents. My dad started razzing Jim Clancy early and often. Clancy had been brought over from Toronto to "replace" Nolan Ryan by going 7-14 with a 5.08 ERA. He replaced Nolan in this game by giving up 5 runs in 4 innings and during the 4th inning, when the Astros had a conference on the mound, my dad stood up and yelled "PUT IN ORBIT! CANT BE ANY ******* WORSE!"

Back then, my dad was still smoking 2 packs a day, and probably would have smoked 8 packs a day if there simply enough hours. They had banned smoking in the Dome a few years back, and we might have left early but the team fought back to down 5-4 in the bottom of the eighth.

Almost 3 hours without a cancer stick were wearing my dad down by the bottom of the ninth when Glenn Davis doubled in Bill Doran to tie it at 5-5. With two outs, the Cubs intentionally walked both Kevin Bass and Harry Spilman to loaded the bases for Rafael Ramirez.

My dad, now facing the prospect of extra innings without a cigarette, stood up and started screaming and clapping for Ramirez like it was Game 7 of the World Series and the Astros' opponent was Nazi Germany.
Incredibly, Ramirez, drew a 5-pitch walkoff walk in a season where he walked 29 times in 575 plate appearances to win the game 6-5.

My dad screamed and shouted, "WAY TO GO, BABE!" and led the charge up the pavilion stairs to the sweet blissful embrace of Mother Nicotine.

My dad locked in on Ramirez as his favorite player for the rest of his time with the Astros, continually calling him "Babe" whenever he saw him batting on TV or in person.

What great/mixed memories. But mention of Jim Clancy is really incomplete with attribution to John McMullen. That's his everlasting legacy in Houston.
OKCAg2002
AG
It's Sunday. Dusty will give those guys the day off.
Farmer1906
AG
Talk about flying through the system. The Angels are calling up their draft pick from this year's draft. Nolan Schanuel has 96 plate appearances across rookie, A, and double A.

Ciboag96

Broken since the November bunt attempt
Dies Irae
Ag_07 said:

Speaking of steroids I watched the Untold episode on BALCO last night.

It's pretty good and at the time it was just background noise for me so it was interesting to hear the whole ordeal and learn the details.

We always knew guys were juicing and they were huge but seeing them compared to how guys look now and it's comical.

And Victor Conte and Barry Bonds are two of the biggest PsOS in sports history

Mark McGwire was one of the most laughable physique changes (along with Bonds) I've ever seen. He literally looked like a cartoon character.

Also, I love Baggy but you'll never convince me he didn't take the needle either

Prosperdick
AG
Ciboag96 said:

Broken since the November bunt attempt
CFTXAG10
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 1762 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.