***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,517,845 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
3B Paul 97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Royals need some Kaufman magic in the bottom of the 9th on the MLB network.
texasaggie2015
AG
BadAggie
AG
Remember the hype about Eric Anthony? Didn't he hit a HR to the upper deck in the Dome?
Bag
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

for the olds, what is OPS+
BadAggie
AG
For Siri it means HR or nothing
texasaggie2015
AG
On-base Plus Slugging Plus (OPS+) | Glossary | MLB.com
Mathguy64
AG
Bag said:

texasaggie2015 said:

for the olds, what is OPS+

All + stats are normalized to league average.

100 is average

120 is 20% above

80 is 20% below.
redline248
AG
From MLB:
Quote:

OPS+ takes a player's on-base plus slugging percentage and normalizes the number across the entire league. It accounts for external factors like ballparks. It then adjusts so a score of 100 is league average, and 150 is 50 percent better than the league average.

For example, Miguel Cabrera's .895 OPS in 2014 was 50 percent better than the MLB average after being adjusted for league and park factors. As a result, his OPS+ was 150.

The Porkchop Express
AG
Jose Siri is on pace to be Preston Wilson.
Big Cat `93
AG
BadAggie said:

Remember the hype about Eric Anthony? Didn't he hit a HR to the upper deck in the Dome?
Yes he did. Third one after Wynn and Rader, if I remember correctly (which is always a 50/50 proposition).
Bag
AG
redline248 said:

From MLB:
Quote:

OPS+ takes a player's on-base plus slugging percentage and normalizes the number across the entire league. It accounts for external factors like ballparks. It then adjusts so a score of 100 is league average, and 150 is 50 percent better than the league average.

For example, Miguel Cabrera's .895 OPS in 2014 was 50 percent better than the MLB average after being adjusted for league and park factors. As a result, his OPS+ was 150.

thats cool, just curious what was so wrong about OPS that OPS+ fixes?
Bag
AG
have yall kicked around the Wander fiasco?

am I the only one that thinks his career being over is a bit of a stretch?

I feel like Karl Malone did the same thing but I dont remember the details.

redline248
AG
Bag said:

redline248 said:

From MLB:
Quote:

Well, OPS for Player A who faces pitchers from the Royals twice as many times as the rest of the AL might be higher than Player B who faces studs in the AL East or West more often.

OPS+ tries to take that sort of thing into account.
Prosperdick
AG
Bag said:

have yall kicked around the Wander fiasco?

am I the only one that thinks his career being over is a bit of a stretch?

I feel like Karl Malone did the same thing but I dont remember the details.
I think you're thinking of Jimmy Kimmel as Karl Malone...and no, nothing happened to him at all. In fact, his career skyrocketed.
BadAggie
AG
Karl Malone had relations with a teen, as in 13 or 14 when he was at Southeastern Louisiana State School for the Deaf, Dumb, and Blind.
W
AG
so the Mariners won 3 of 4 vs. the Royals

Seattle will bring a 66-55 record into MMP to take on the Astros (70-52)

afterwards the M's get back to the cupcakes...White Sox, Royals again, and the A's
Farmer1906
AG
Bag said:

redline248 said:

From MLB:
Quote:

OPS just throws together 2 stats that are better than BA alone. It correlates fairly well to actually scoring runs, but it's missing some logic behind it. OPS+ takes things to the next level by normalizing it across the league by that years stats. You can compare a Coors Field darling to someone who plays in Detroit. Or you can compare the juiced balls of 2019 to the dead ones of 2022.
BadAggie
AG
W said:

so the Mariners won 3 of 4 vs. the Royals

Seattle will bring a 66-55 record into MMP to take on the Astros (70-52)

afterwards the M's get back to the cupcakes...White Sox, Royals again, and the A's

Bag
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Bag said:

redline248 said:

From MLB:
Quote:

OPS just throws together 2 stats that are better than BA alone. It correlates fairly well to actually scoring runs, but it's missing some logic behind it. OPS+ takes things to the next level by normalizing it across the league by that years stats. You can compare a Coors Field darling to someone who plays in Detroit. Or you can compare the juiced balls of 2019 to the dead ones of 2022.
cheers, thanks, makes sense
Farmer1906
AG
redline248 said:

Bag said:

redline248 said:

From MLB:
Quote:

Well, OPS for Player A who faces pitchers from the Royals twice as many times as the rest of the AL might be higher than Player B who faces studs in the AL East or West more often.

I don't think that is quite accurate.
W
AG
the unknown part is how does the Dominican treat its celebrities / famous baseball players

do they get preferential treatment in the D.R. legal system and so forth

over the course of his career, he would be bringing millions and millions and millions of dollars back to the D.R.

they might not want to ruin his MLB career in the states
Farmer1906
AG
Bag said:

Farmer1906 said:

Bag said:

redline248 said:

From MLB:
Quote:

cheers, thanks, makes sense

If you really want to step your game up, wRC+ is better than OPS+. OPS+ still replies on OPS which puts too much value on slugging vs on base. Weighted runs created (wRC) is based on weighted on base percentage (wOBA). You have wRC for the raw info and wRC+ which factors in park & league.

I think it's fairly well accepted that wRC+ is your best 1 stop shop for a singular stat that shows you how good a hitter is.
Dies Irae
On this off day I want to talk about how we have the best broadcast game talent in the league in Kalas and Blummer and Julia but the studio crew of Bogusevic, the weird sweaty guido, the artist formerly known as Eschenfelder, the Moldovan trafficking victim, Mike Stanton and, Michael "THAT'S JUST HOW I TALK" Bourn is the worst thing to happen to Houston since Hurricane Katrina
Bag
AG
Brantley went yard on his second AB last night.

if he can play down the stretch and Dusty figures out that the best catcher in the AL is the astros backup catcher, I like our chances

If Uncle Mike can return, what would be your lineup card? for me

Altuve
Pena
Tucker
Bregman
Yordan
Chas
Brantley
Diaz
Abreu/Singleton

that is a hella lineup
texasaggie2015
AG
Dies Irae said:

On this off day I want to talk about how we have the best broadcast game talent in the league in Kalas and Blummer and Julia but the studio crew of Bogusevic, the weird sweaty guido, the artist formerly known as Eschenfelder, the Moldovan trafficking victim, Mike Stanton and, Michael "THAT'S JUST HOW I TALK" Bourn is the worst thing to happen to Houston since Hurricane Katrina
You sure that's not Maldy?
n_touch
W said:

the unknown part is how does the Dominican treat its celebrities / famous baseball players

do they get preferential treatment in the D.R. legal system and so forth

over the course of his career, he would be bringing millions and millions and millions of dollars back to the D.R.

they might not want to ruin his MLB career in the states
Did all of this occur there? Does not change what we think here, but there are different standards there and what they may be ok with.
DVC2010
AG
The biggest thing the + does is compare the player or others in the same league and season. In addition to telling you at a glance how good someone is compared to the league, it allows you to compare today's numbers to someone from the peak steroid era or to Ted Williams. They are agnostic to the "run environment," as it's called. Of course, when your name is Aaron Judge and your games get juiced baseballs, you effectively have 2 different run environments in the same league at the same time, but there's not a good way to adjust for Manfred's corruption.

As Farmer said, wRC+ is the king of all stats for production at the plate. If I recall, peak Dubon was batting around .300 (looks really good!) but his wRC+ was in the neighborhood of 100 (average) because he didn't walk enough or hit for any power. wRC/wRC+ gives you a succinct way to weigh all those factors.
Ag_07
AG
It doesn't matter where it happened.

If the Rays and/or MLB decide that he violated their rules and/or his moral clauses in his contract he's done.

And if it's true that he was hooking up with 14 year old girls then he should be regardless of where it happened.

Trevor Bauer didn't break any laws and he's done and honestly this is way worse.
W
AG
one small nit with the broadcast crew...

sometimes they go on and on (and complain) about exit velocity on ground balls -- and don't talk about launch angle

as Josh Donaldson famously said in the MLB network video:

"ground balls in this league are outs"
W
AG
that's a good question

the articles I've seen say the D.R. attorney general is doing the investigating
redline248
AG
Farmer1906 said:

redline248 said:

Bag said:

redline248 said:

From MLB:
Quote:

I thought it was part of it.
linkdude
AG
75 XBH in his last 162 games is good, right?
Bag
AG
redline248 said:

Farmer1906 said:

redline248 said:

Bag said:

redline248 said:

From MLB:
Quote:

I thought it was part of it.
this kind of highlights my thinking on all the new generation of stats, OPS made sense, easily to calculate and transparent.

Sometimes I lean towards feeling like paralysis by analysis with all the new gen sabermetrics
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I'd say there is a lot of "buzz" to those stats
Prosperdick
AG
BadAggie said:

Karl Malone had relations with a teen, as in 13 or 14 when he was at Southeastern Louisiana State School for the Deaf, Dumb, and Blind.
I was just making a joke...
First Page Last Page
Page 1760 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.