***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,518,137 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
AgLA06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906 said:

redline248 said:

Quote:

I don't blame Tuck for trying to maximize earnings, but Ohtani isn't a good comp. Mookie Betts isn't really either. So I'm not really sure what salary comp is realistic for him.
Betts is making $20 mil this year, $25 mil the next 4 years, and then $30 starting in '29.
Acuna Jr, who probably wins the MVP in the NL this year, is making $17 mil this year and the next 3 years before club options kick in. What a f-cking steal
Tatis Jr starts making $20 mil in '25 and goes up to $25 in '27. He's making $7 mil this year, compared to Tucker's $5.

Tucker is probably between Tatis and Acuna/Betts, so you smart people figure out what that price point is

Keep in mind when those contracts were signed.

Acuna got his at 21 when the Braves still had 6 years of control. Acuna wasn't yet fully Acuna. And it's probably one of the most team friendly deals ever.

Mookie got a 12 year deal at 28. He got a mega signing bonus. On average he's getting just over 30 M a year until he's 40.

Tatis is similar to Acuna. They bought out 5 years of control. He's making, on average, 24+ M a year from age 22 to 35. His extension money is more like 9/286.

Agreed. I don't think his numbers are as good as theirs at a quick look, but those contracts are also probably under value.

I guess that's the real reason Tucker will try the market. Because no one really has a good idea what he will get. But there's always the chance for a sucker or 2 to over bid (looking at you Mets, Dodgers, and Padres).
Farmer1906
AG
Gross

gigemJTH12
AG
Mr.Bond
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Gross

This apple, peacock stream only **** needs to ****in go and never come back
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

spadilly
S

Off days…

How am I supposed to work with no getaway afternoon game on right now?
Ag_07
AG
Pretty quiet day around MLB. Only game I see that means anything to us is Mariners @ Royals on at 1:10.
Farmer1906
AG
Off day topic of the day:

Build your dream infield of current players. No Astros.
iamtheglove
Faustus said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

$65.8M AAV. Good luck to whoever wrecks their payroll to do that. That contract will age so poorly towards the end.
If we were paying Javier this season his post-arb salary we could almost match the Ohtani number with our signings this past off-season and season.

Javier - $21 million
Abreu - $20 million
Montero - $11.5 million
Brantley - $12 million

Total - $64.5 million

Good luck to whatever fools wreck their payroll with Ohtani. Of course it will be to a team for which the luxury tax is not a salary cap, so whatever they spend on Ohtani is already funny money compared to 2/3 of the teams in the league (including us).

My guesses : Mets due to idiocy and envy or Mariners due to ego and understanding the comp of how Ichiro impacted their economics.
Sex Panther
AG
AgLA06 said:

It's an interesting comparison between King Tuck and Ohtani.

My gut is if you switched them Ohtani would have even better stats and Tuck a little worse.

Agreed. Tuck's era would be pretty ugly
iamtheglove
Mr.Bond said:

Farmer1906 said:

Gross

This apple, peacock stream only **** needs to ****in go and never come back

It's only going to get worse. More national deals on random platforms is the only way to support the current economics of the game and revenue that is going to be lost from the regional sports model that is taking on water.
Farmer1906
AG
I will kick things off

1B: Freddie Freeman - Unbelieve season with the bat, Rocking a 3-4-5 (BA-OBP-SLG), and he's stole 16 bags at age 33.
2B: Mookie Betts - Superstars aren't usually willing to be this versatile. Does everything well. Just look how red his Baseball Savant page is.
SS: Bobby Witt Jr - Elite defense, 30/30 threat, true 5 tool, only flaw is he doesn't draw walks.
3B: Matt Chapman - Sexy arm, tons of pop, runs well for a corner INF, has a bit of a K/whiff issue.
texasaggie2015
AG
1B: Andrew Vaughn (Former White Sox first basemen have a good recent track record of succeeding on new teams)
2B: Rougned Odor (He punched a guy one time and it was cool)
SS: Wander Franco (Good clubhouse guy, great character)
3B: Josh Donaldson (currently plays for a great organization, need him to bring the winning culture over here)
Prosperdick
AG
iamtheglove said:

texasaggie2015 said:

It really makes you appreciate this recent run. It's so damn hard to win a championship. It's even harder to win two in a short window. I try my best not to take this team for granted.

This is the key, regardless of general frustrations, bad losses, playing time debates, poor managerial decisions, questionable signings, Bagwell philosophies, Crane tinkering. We are in the golden age of Astros baseball! We've been to 4 World Series over the last 6 years and won 2. We've been the dominant team in all of baseball.

As someone who started following Astros baseball in 1971, trust me, you don't want to ignore or diminish the incredible success we've had by constantly getting pissed at some of the day to day decision making. The debate can be fun but the vitriol is unworthy of such a glorious run we've all enjoyed.
I've been following since '77 so I don't diminish the success but I think you're conflating "getting pissed" with frustration of not trying to maximize this window.

I know what it was like following the Stros during the dark times (late 80's and early 90's and of course the '11-'13 disaster) and I don't want to return to that anytime soon.

Bottom line, it's cathartic to vent some of that frustration and I wish more of the "pissed off" crowd would take a page out of my book and not post during the game, when emotions run hot.

Anyway, hopefully Dusty figures it out and we'll see Diaz get more playing time (1B/C/DH).
FrioAg 00
AG
I can't decide who I want to win in Seatttle v KC

On one hand we are still fighting Seattle for a playoff spot and they are only 4 games back, plus they are red hot.

On the other hand they play the Rangers 7 of the last 10 games and I need them fighting with purpose. If they lose tonight and then we take 2/3, they'll be 5.5 games back already.
Farmer1906
AG
Dream, Nightmare... whats the difference?
R-Dog
AG
FrioAg 00 said:

I can't decide who I want to win in Seatttle v KC

On one hand we are still fighting Seattle for a playoff spot and they are only 4 games back, plus they are red hot.

On the other hand they play the Rangers 7 of the last 10 games and I need them fighting with purpose. If they lose tonight and then we take 2/3, they'll be 5.5 games back already.

5.5 behind us but remember they are much closer to Toronto who would be all they care about catching as the standings are now. Now if Toronto has a good weekend and that deficit grows, then you've got a point.
FrioAg 00
AG
Just looked it up (because I'm bored) and in series since the ASB we have won 7 split 2, and lost 1.

That's pretty good.

Farmer1906
AG
Let's just win the rest of the series. Playoffs included.
Beat40
Farmer1906 said:

Let's just win the rest of the series. Playoffs included.

All I care about. Don't care about winning 10 in a row. I would like for the team to, but I just care about them winning series.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Dream, Nightmare... whats the difference?

Nightmares are dreams.
CFTXAG10
AG
Everyone that knows baseball is aware of how easy it is for outfielders to play any position on the infield

1B: Mike Trout
2B: Ronald Acuna Jr.
SS: Luis Robert Jr.
3B: Juan Soto
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
maca1028 said:

Got an interesting text from my wife today asking the meaning behind this thread's rally girls so she could explain to her coworkers. I think I summed it up well.

Just caught this gold. Could explain her take on your explanation? I have to say my wife to my knowledge isn't aware of what is posted on this thread. I'm that regard at least
redline248
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Off day topic of the day:

Build your dream infield of current players. No Astros.
Alonso 1B
Albies 2B
Bichete SS
Riley 3B
Bulldog73
AG
This thread is why my TexAgs remains on mobile mode at all times.
redline248
AG
Quote:

You sure about that?

edit: dammit, I didn't realize what you were doing in time. oops
maca1028
She pretty much shrugs it off like nothing now. I opened the thread last weekend during one of the 11-2 beat downs, took my eyes off my phone and heard her say "damn, she must do a lot of squats"

AOFA happens
Prosperdick
AG
redline248 said:

Quote:

You sure about that?

edit: dammit, I didn't realize what you were doing in time. oops
Rat face Odor didn't give it away???
jetch17
AG
Theres a big collectors show Saturday in Houston where most of our guys are signing autographs that my brother-in-law wants to check out. He's ponying up for some of the pitchers, but gawdam, Yordan is charging $185 and Tuck is $125 per sig
texasaggie2015
AG
Ag_07
AG
Doesn't seem outrageous.

Hell that's a tank of gas or a trip to the grocery store nowadays.
maca1028
We're heading there for Altuve's autograph. Was supposed to get it back in April then the hand injury happened.
jetch17
AG
Ag_07 said:

Doesn't seem outrageous.

Hell that's a tank of gas or a trip to the grocery store nowadays.
suppose youre right, figure its going to be a zoo similar to the big Tristar show lines
jetch17
AG
maca1028 said:

We're heading there for Altuve's autograph. Was supposed to get it back in April then the hand injury happened.
ill probably end up making a brash decision over evening tequilas and pull the trigger on Yordan to add to the other slugger baseballs i have collected over the years.
texasaggie2015
AG
Gameday: Express 4, Space Cowboys 3 Final Score (08/16/2023) (milb.com)

Didn't see it discussed but Spencer Arrighetti pitched well last night and Loperfido went 1-2 with a run scored and a walk in his AAA debut
Prosperdick
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Goddammit why isn't Mickey batting Brantley 3rd!!!

Just kidding.
First Page Last Page
Page 1759 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.