***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,518,325 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
AgLA06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Beat40 said:

AgLA06 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

To be fair, Buster Posey was light years ahead of where Yainer Diaz is now. Yainer is awesome. But the Astros weren't even sure if he would stick at catcher as early as March of this year. He's taken huge strides this season. On and off the field.
Well, You kind of have to play to have any real idea. So far, he's light years ahead of the guy sucking playing time down the tubes in front of him.
Not true - there is a ton that happens before game. texasaggie2015 has said in the past the issue with Yanier was not doing game prep and game plan at an MLB level and they questioned his commitment to do it.
Maldy would actually have to let him. The interview the other night with Maldy made it very clear only Maldy does the game planning and he LETS Diaz listen.

I think a very good argument could be made for Maldy slowing his progress. At this point it's no different than in Money Ball with Justice. Except he doesn't appear to get it yet.

The best part is Maldy could do all the game planning he wants and call the pitches from the bench. Wouldn't affect Diaz playing one bit.
AustinCountyAg
redline248 said:

"He's learning the position."

So weak. What does that even mean? 2023 is not the first time he's played catcher. Even if it was, what a story it would be. Already better than one of the best defensive catchers in the last 10 years?

He's a natural hitter. Everything else he does is gravy, because the team is better with him in the lineup.
blue star for you. Learning the position or not, Diaz is better than Maldy is at catching and hitting.
rosco511
AG
Even putting aside the catcher position talk, there is no justification for Diaz not being in the lineup every day whether as DH, first base, or catcher.

Also, please remember Dusty tried his hardest to relegate Chas to a part-time role by giving an unproven and non-prospect Julks chance after chance even though Chas had put up really solid numbers and flashed since he has been in the majors. Myles Straw is another example from two years ago.

This is a reoccurring theme that Dusty picks and chooses his favorites and then tries his hardest to limit the statistical sample size of the non-favorites so harder to be proven wrong. Perfect example is the idea that Diaz cannot hit lefties. His sample size is nowhere near high enough to make that conclusion, especially when you compare it with some of the other analytic numbers.
AustinCountyAg
I didn't get that at all....The interview with Maldy and the Fox guys sounded to me like Maldy knows Diaz deserves to play over him, but Dusty keeps spitting out the stupid lines about him being too young, having to earn it, he's learning still, etc, and that Maldy is now using that as his saving grace of why he's still playing. Because thats the exact same BS maldy said in the interview. It came off to me as pretty damn sad.
AgLA06
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

I didn't get that at all....The interview with Maldy and the Fox guys sounded to me like Maldy knows Diaz deserves to play over him, but Dusty keeps spitting out the stupid lines about him being too young, having to earn it, he's learning still, etc, and that Maldy is now using that as his saving grace of why he's still playing. Because thats the exact same BS maldy said in the interview. It came off to me as pretty damn sad.
I got the opposite. Him parroting the exact some things as Dusty was pretty clear.
AgLA06
AG
rosco511 said:

Even putting aside the catcher position talk, there is no justification for Diaz not being in the lineup every day whether as DH, first base, or catcher.

Also, please remember Dusty tried his hardest to relegate Chas to a part-time role by giving an unproven and non-prospect Julks chance after chance even though Chas had put up really solid numbers and flashed since he has been in the majors. Myles Straw is another example from two years ago.

This is a reoccurring theme that Dusty picks and chooses his favorites and then tries his hardest to limit the statistical sample size of the non-favorites so harder to be proven wrong. Perfect example is the idea that Diaz cannot hit lefties. His sample size is nowhere near high enough to make that conclusion, especially when you compare it with some of the other analytic numbers.
Dusty is like that guy teacher in high school who just wants to be friends with the students.
texasaggie2015
AG
Yep. Buster Posey is one of the greatest catchers of all time. I hope we're smart enough to know we shouldn't compare anyone to an all time great.

Yainer is awesome. I've shared his story before- but he's a late bloomer. There were reasons Cleveland gave up on him. They knew how good his hit tool was, but his work ethic, preparation, attitude, etc were all pretty poor. He had no interest in playing catcher and butted heads with coaches at every level.

The Astros saw him as a DH who can occasionally fill in at catcher at the beginning of the year. But something clicked for him during spring training.

He's matured a ton and he's worked tirelessly this year. He sits in more meetings than any other player. He works with Maldonado for hours each day learning how to properly game prep. He spends tons of time with the hitting coaches- specifically working on plate discipline. He also spends hours each week working at two other positions.. first base and (more recently) left field.

The organization couldn't be happier with Yainer and the progress he's made. But it's important to remember that catching in the major league level is a lot more than meets the eye.

And I'm not excusing the love affair with Maldy or defending him either. So nobody accuse me of that.

I 100% think Yainer should play every day. If the organization doesn't think he's ready for full time catching duties, that's fine. Just find a way to keep him in the lineup every day when he's not catching (whether that's first base or DH) and that will help absorb the big black hole with Maldy.

Two things can be true: 1. Yainer should be in the lineup every day and 2. He might not be ready for full time catching duties

I do know for a fact that the organization wants to see Yainer behind the plate more often. This really comes down to Dusty Baker and his tendency to go to veterans over younger players. We will see what happens down the stretch.
n_touch
Marvin said:

Ag_07 said:

We're smarter than this aren't we?

Was this a serious question?
AustinCountyAg
AgLA06 said:

AustinCountyAg said:

I got the opposite. Him parroting the exact some things as Dusty was pretty clear.
thats my point I was trying to make. Too many words from me so I wasn't clear.

Yes, Maldy was repeating the same BS dusty has been.
AgLA06
AG
Gotcha.

I actually started to turn the channel it was so depressing, but it was like not being able to turn away from a train wreck.
Farmer1906
AG
This interview? It didn't seem bad at all to me. Sounds like the vet is doing what he's supposed to with the rookie.

https://www.mlb.com/astros/video/maldonado-joins-broadcast-in-2nd?partnerId=web_video-playback-page_video-share
Ag_07
AG
Farmer1906 said:

This interview? It didn't seem bad at all to me. Sounds like the vet is doing what he's supposed to with the rookie.

https://www.mlb.com/astros/video/maldonado-joins-broadcast-in-2nd?partnerId=web_video-playback-page_video-share

This is the interview yall are talking about?

Some of yall are just too damn dramatic.
texasaggie2015
AG
Seriously... what in the world is there to be upset about there?
Chrundle the Great
AG
Is Acuna doing something to take advantage of the new rule more than others? These aren't quite prime Henderson #s but they are at least aging Henderson #s and his previous career high was 37.
Mr President Elect
AG
My favorite part was Maldy acknowledging he earned a day off by getting 3 hits the previous day. I wonder if the players joke about it as much as we do.
redline248
AG
Quote:

It's not as simple as some of you make it out to be.
It certainly should be. The Cardinals have a catcher who isn't a great defender, and was briefly benched b/c he didn't know what pitches each pitcher threw. Yet, he can hit, so they still run him out there almost every night.

Yainer is good at blocking pitches (11th in blocks above average), has an elite pop time (6th), and is borderline elite at throwing out runners (7th CS above average). He isn't a great framer, but he's better than Maldy.

And on top of all that he hits the ball hard with good results.
texasaggie2015
AG
I'm really puzzled by the folks who don't understand how difficult it is for someone to be a full time catcher in the MLB. And how much more difficult it is for someone who had no interest in playing catcher up until recently.
Eso si, Que es
rosco511 said:

This!

Like I said recently. You have Bagwell and Reggie both saying they think Astros skewed too far towards analytics and they believe it should be a better blend of analytics and gut feel. Then you get Dusty using analytics as the excuse when it supports his gut and using his gut for all other decisions. This way he gets to say it is a blend of analytics and gut feel when it is only gut feel.

He uses analytics only as as confirmation bias when it suits him (Maldy vs left handers). There are a dozen line up decisions per week that analytics don't support, and then he pulls out analytics the one day per week it supports his gut. You can't teach an old dog new tricks, and Dusty is as old school of a dog as you can find.

Watch the Amazon Prime documentary on Reggie, it will succinctly explain both Dusty being our manager and Julks eating up Chaz's deserved playing time.
Farmer1906
AG
I get he's not a finished product yet but he also has 2100 professional innings behind the dish.
texasaggie2015
AG
Trust me, I get it. I'm just repeating what I've been told all year.

The Astros in particular are very demanding about what they require out of their catchers.
Beat40
redline248 said:

Quote:

It's not as simple as some of you make it out to be.
It certainly should be. The Cardinals have a catcher who isn't a great defender, and was briefly benched b/c he didn't know what pitches each pitcher threw. Yet, he can hit, so they still run him out there almost every night.

Yainer is good at blocking pitches (11th in blocks above average), has an elite pop time (6th), and is borderline elite at throwing out runners (7th CS above average). He isn't a great framer, but he's better than Maldy.

And on top of all that he hits the ball hard with good results.
You say this as if it's a good thing.

They're also dead last in their division and share the 2nd worse record in the NL with the Nationals at 54-67. They might lose 100 games.

Again - I want Yanier's bat in the lineup every single game and him catching 60% of the time. I'm glad he's put int he work and is taking his craft seriously.

But to act like stuff like game prep and a catcher, who up to the beginning of this year had shown he wasn't really willing to do it at the required level isn't a reason for limiting his playing time at the beginning of the at the catcher position ins't reasonable is pretty wild.
McInnis
AG
I just watched the interview and really can't find fault with anything he said. He seemed very complimentary of Diaz. I really wish he was having a better season, but I thought he came across pretty good.

I looked up his WAR and it's -0.5 for the season. I expected it to be worse. But what caught my eye is that he has a career WAR of 7.1. It's kind of amazing that has gotten him 13 mlb seasons. I wonder if he's been given credit for his intangibles for a long time before coming to Houston.
Beat40
Farmer1906 said:

I get he's not a finished product yet but he also has 2100 professional innings behind the dish.
I think everyone understands he doesn't have to be a finished product to play catcher. I'm not even sure that part is in dispute.

Lots of people get by on talent at all levels until they get to the highest level. Is it not a reasonable position the organization took in the beginning of the year that he likely wouldn't be a catcher if he wasn't willing to do MLB level game prep and planning?

They clearly wanted his bat in the line-up from day 1.

Literally the conversation is about why he wasn't catching from day 1, and texasaggie2015 provided the context. I think we all agree he should be catching 60-70% of the time now.
JDUB08AG
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

The Astros in particular are very demanding about what they require out of their catchers.
It is just completely counterintuitive to what has made this organization successful the past 8 years. Analytics have been completely thrown out the window. They aren't making a strong enough effort to get him acclimated to the position - that isn't opinion, that is straight up fact.
All I do is Nguyen
texasaggie2015 said:

Seriously... what in the world is there to be upset about there?
I have said it multiple times on this site, some people just want to ***** and complain about EVERYTHING, regardless of the sense it makes or even if they know literally NOTHIGN about the topic.
No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
Beat40
JDUB08AG said:

texasaggie2015 said:

It is just completely counterintuitive to what has made this organization successful the past 8 years. Analytics have been completely thrown out the window. They aren't making a strong enough effort to get him acclimated to the position - that isn't opinion, that is straight up fact.
Why is this so damn hard to understand - it wasn't about his ability to play the position. It was about his commitment to do what it takes to be an everyday MLB level catcher, meaning all the out of game stuff.

And from everything I've read, once Diaz decided to commit to doing all the out of game stuff, the organization has been doing everything they can to help bring him along, including Maldy.

It was never about his ability. It was about work ethic.

It seems the issue has worked itself out and the reason he's not catching more is because of Dusty.

The organization saw the hitting analytics and wanted his bat in the line-up from day 1. That's the reason they carried 3 catchers early in the season. You can thank Dusty for him not getting ABs in May/June.
texasaggie2015
AG
I'm just the messenger everyone. Direct all complaints, comments, concerns, suggestions to the Astros.
Farmer1906
AG
On a noncatcher note, TED has moved up the #1 in the AL and #2 overall in RBI.
Texaggie7nine
7nine
Ag_07
AG
Quote:

They aren't making a strong enough effort to get him acclimated to the position - that isn't opinion, that is straight up fact.

Really?

Everything I have heard or read points to this actually not being a fact.

But I don't know for sure because I'm not in the clubhouse.
redline248
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I'm really puzzled by the folks who don't understand how difficult it is for someone to be a full time catcher in the MLB. And how much more difficult it is for someone who had no interest in playing catcher up until recently.
I am puzzled too, yet Maldy - despite how hard it is for him - continues to be a mostly full time catcher.
texasaggie2015
AG
I was about to say... unless he has better connections than I do, I can promise that's not the case.

But I don't want to stir the pot.
Ag_07
AG
And how the TF after last night's performance (a win BTW) and picking up a game in the standings are we still on the subject of fckin Maldonado?
Farmer1906
AG
Batting
Astros wOBA / xwOBA / Difference
Mar-Apr .307 / .320 / -.013
May .311 / .315 / -.004
June .329 / .335 / -.006
July .331 / .333 / -.002
Aug .349 / .343 / .006 (finally catching a break)

Pitching
Astros wOBA / xwOBA / Difference
Mar-Apr .299 / .308 / -.009
May .301 / .311 / -.010
June .325 / .328 / -.003
July .338 / .333 / .005
Aug .295 / .317 / -.022

The offense has been consistently "unlucky" while the pitching has been consistently "lucky".

The offense is tending in a very good way. The pitching has been a little up and down, but it's looking solid in Aug.

AustinCountyAg
in non Maldy/Diaz news the Yankees are in a complete free fall, and it appears they will suck for the next couple years at least. Been listening to Michael Kay and Talking Yankees podcast this morning and man, we think we hate Dusty. Boone and Cashman literally might get shot on the streets of NYC.
First Page Last Page
Page 1757 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.