***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,518,721 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm not defending giving Maldy as much PT as he gets but it's crazy that most on this thread don't realize this.

Yanier is literally learning this position on the fly and yet just tonight he's been compared to Brian McCann and Buster Posey.

It's not just as simple as 'Yeah stick him in there. McCann and Posey did it'.

We're smarter than this aren't we?
W
AG
Posey was called up in late May that season and actually played 1st base in June.

then switched to catcher in July.

he had to learn to catch Barry Zito, Tim Lincecum, Matt Cain, MadBum, and the bullpen

quite an accomplishment

Marvin
AG
Ag_07 said:

Was this a serious question?
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
chlavinka
AG
He's horrible
astros4545
AG
Ag_07 said:

I'm not defending giving Maldy as much PT as he gets but it's crazy that most on this thread don't realize this.

Yanier is literally learning this position on the fly and yet just tonight he's been compared to Brian McCann and Buster Posey.

It's not just as simple as 'Yeah stick him in there. McCann and Posey did it'.

Well if Yanier is just now learning to play catcher, it appears that Maldy has severe dementia at the position
W
AG
in 2010 no one knew Posey would be a Hall of Famer

he was a rookie (with great potential) up from the farm

the Giants could have been stubborn and limited his playing time because of his rookie status

but wisely they did not. They needed his bat.

the Giants pitching staff got on board with the plan...including the veterans

and the rest is history
W
AG
by the way the 2010 Giants opened the season by sweeping the Astros at MMP

Lincecum vs. Oswalt was the opening day matchup

the veteran Bengie Molina was SF's opening day catcher. He was traded at midseason
redline248
AG
"He's learning the position."

So weak. What does that even mean? 2023 is not the first time he's played catcher. Even if it was, what a story it would be. Already better than one of the best defensive catchers in the last 10 years?

He's a natural hitter. Everything else he does is gravy, because the team is better with him in the lineup.
txags92
AG
redline248 said:

"He's learning the position."

So weak. What does that even mean? 2023 is not the first time he's played catcher. Even if it was, what a story it would be. Already better than one of the best defensive catchers in the last 10 years?

He's a natural hitter. Everything else he does is gravy, because the team is better with him in the lineup.
If he is "still learning the position", he is doing a damn good job, because he is already better at throwing out runners and framing pitches than Maldy.
redline248
AG
2010 Buster Posey: .305/.357/.505, 134 wRC+, 4.0 WAR (443 PA)
2023 Yainer Diaz: .273/.292/.520, 117 2RC+, 1.2 WAR (271 PA)

Buster was better at drawing walks and avoiding the strikeout. Yainer hits for more power and is a year older than Posey was in 2010.

Astros have 40 games left. If Diaz plays in 3 of 5 the rest of the way (which I would not bet money on happening) he'd probably be somewhere around 350 PA. He's not going to reach Posey's totals for that year, and I have no idea how the WAR will shake out. But he's doing better than alright.
AggieJ2002
AG
Looking at the schedule, it really feels like we just need to hang around the Rangers over the next month. The schedule becomes really favorable to us in mid-September. We also have a good number of games left with the BoSox and those games are going to play a big part in how we finish this season
tremble
AG
That's honestly pretty wild. Really wish Dusty was giving him more time behind the plate. It's not like Maldy will be here next year.
BMX Bandit
Off day topic:

Should Diaz play more over Maldonado?
carpediem13
AG
Farmer1906
AG

Remaining SOS
Arlington - .503 (13th)
Houston - .477 (28th)
Wabs
AG
$789M/12YR for Ohtani

Calculating Shohei Ohtani's true free agency value (espn.com)

tjack16
AG
AggieJ2002 said:

Looking at the schedule, it really feels like we just need to hang around the Rangers over the next month. The schedule becomes really favorable to us in mid-September. We also have a good number of games left with the BoSox and those games are going to play a big part in how we finish this season

I think we need to be within 1.5 or 1 games when we make that trip to Arlington and win the series.

If we can get out of that trip with either the lead, or .5 game deficit then we will win the division due to the east end of September
EastCoastAgNc
AG
$65.8M AAV. Good luck to whoever wrecks their payroll to do that. That contract will age so poorly towards the end.
Prosperdick
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

$65.8M AAV. Good luck to whoever wrecks their payroll to do that. That contract will age so poorly towards the end.
One injury early on and it will age like milk from the get go. I kinda hope the Rangers do it. It worked out so well with Pay-Rod.
All I do is Nguyen
I have always broken down Ohtani's salary as if he were two players since he plays two positions, but THAT contract is insane.
No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
linkdude
AG
Really interesting post on player dev. Houston seems to be on the right side here.
concac
AG
linkdude said:

Really interesting post on player dev. Houston seems to be on the right side here.
A blast from the past - Carson's uncle is Bill Spiers.

Bill is currently on Swinney's staff working with the special teams unit.

https://clemsontigers.com/coaches/bill-spiers/
concac
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Off day topic:

Should Diaz play more over Maldonado?
Aledmys should definitely play more than Maldonado even though he's with the A's now.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Looking for two tickets to Saturday's game if anyone is looking to offload. Shooting star for your time.

https://instagr.am/p/CvFbSBSuchk
Boiling Denim
I think they talked about it on our national game with the Angels but they would almost need to include ownership stake in the franchise for the numbers to make sense on his contract. There's really no way to get there with just cash
Panama Red
AG
tjack16 said:

AggieJ2002 said:

I think we need to be within 1.5 or 1 games when we make that trip to Arlington and win the series.

If we can get out of that trip with either the lead, or .5 game deficit then we will win the division due to the east end of September

While winning series would be nice, as long as we win 1 in Arlington and leave no more than 2 games back in loss column, I like our chances.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Ag_07
AG
Pick up 1 game before the series in Arlington, 1 during that series, and 1 after that series.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Farmer1906
AG
30/30 Watch Across the League

Player - HR / SB
Ronald Acuna - 27 / 55 - Pretty much a lock... absolutely wild SB #s. Could be the first-ever 30/60
Corbin Carroll - 21 / 37 - I am guessing no on the HRs. He's only hit 4 in July+Aug.
Bobby Witt Jr - 23 / 34 - The opposite of Carrol. 11 HRs in July+Aug. He'll be close.
Kyle Tucker - 24 / 24 - On pace for 32/32 just gotta keep it up.
Francisco Lindor - 24 / 20 - A lot of meaningless baseball left for the Mets. He could get hot, but I am guessing he won't get it.
AgLA06
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

To be fair, Buster Posey was light years ahead of where Yainer Diaz is now. Yainer is awesome. But the Astros weren't even sure if he would stick at catcher as early as March of this year. He's taken huge strides this season. On and off the field.
Well, You kind of have to play to have any real idea. So far, he's light years ahead of the guy sucking playing time down the tubes in front of him.
Beat40
W said:

the Giants could have been stubborn and limited his playing time because of his rookie status

and the rest is history
If I take what texasaggie2015 has been saying, what he's been saying is that Yanier wasn't putting in the work in the beginning of the season to be a MLB catcher, meaning proper game prep, and that he has taken great strides in that area to where the organization can trust him to be their future catcher.

I have no idea if Buster was preparing at an MLB level before he caught as a rookie, but if Yanier wasn't, that's a pretty big deal.

It's not as simple as some of you make it out to be.

The only thing that should have been done different with Yanier is have him DH in the beginning of the year while they had 3 catchers, which is clearly what Dana and the organization wanted, but Dusty didn't do.
Beat40
AgLA06 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

To be fair, Buster Posey was light years ahead of where Yainer Diaz is now. Yainer is awesome. But the Astros weren't even sure if he would stick at catcher as early as March of this year. He's taken huge strides this season. On and off the field.
Well, You kind of have to play to have any real idea. So far, he's light years ahead of the guy sucking playing time down the tubes in front of him.
Not true - there is a ton that happens before game. texasaggie2015 has said in the past the issue with Yanier was not doing game prep and game plan at an MLB level and they questioned his commitment to do it.
Farmer1906
AG
Beat40 said:

W said:

and the rest is history
If I take what texasaggie2015 has been saying, what he's been saying is that Yanier wasn't putting in the work in the beginning of the season to be a MLB catcher, meaning proper game prep, and that he has taken great strides in that area to where the organization can trust him to be their future catcher.

I have no idea if Buster was preparing at an MLB level before he caught as a rookie, but if Yanier wasn't, that's a pretty big deal.

It's not as simple as some of you make it out to be.

The only thing that should have been done different with Yanier is have him DH in the beginning of the year while they had 3 catchers, which is clearly what Dana and the organization wanted, but Dusty didn't do.

I think your timeline is wrong. I believe he said he wasn't doing that previously (not this season). Any preconceived lack of work ethic was in the minors.
AgLA06
AG
Farmer1906 said:

30/30 Watch Across the League

Player - HR / SB
Ronald Acuna - 27 / 55 - Pretty much a lock... absolutely wild SB #s. Could be the first-ever 30/60
Corbin Carroll - 21 / 37 - I am guessing no on the HRs. He's only hit 4 in July+Aug.
Bobby Witt Jr - 23 / 34 - The opposite of Carrol. 11 HRs in July+Aug. He'll be close.
Kyle Tucker - 24 / 24 - On pace for 32/32 just gotta keep it up.
Francisco Lindor - 24 / 20 - A lot of meaningless baseball left for the Mets. He could get hot, but I am guessing he won't get it.
That's nuts!

My guess if anyone had done it would have been Rickey. He was 28 / 87 & 28 / 65.

So close twice.
First Page Last Page
Page 1756 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.