***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,505,374 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
AgLA06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Beat40 said:

Man, imagine if Uncle Mike comes back, hits .300 and draws some walks.

Not putting a lot of hope into it, but if that were to happen, it would certainly be welcome!
Imagine if he justs hits .275 and draws a bunch of walks. Maybe even has the occasional dinger.
Farmer1906
AG
redline248
AG
That is a championship lineup
AgLA06
AG
redline248 said:

That is a championship lineup

One can dream!

1. Altuve 2B (R)
2. Bregman 3b (R)
3. Tucker RF (L)
4. Yordan DH (L)
5. Diaz C (R)
6. Brantley LF (L)
7. Chas CF (R)
8. Singleton 1B (L)
9. Pena SS (R)

And I only have Diaz ahead of Brantley because I think someone's head would explode if 3 lefties batted in a row. Switching Bregman and Tucker gets you L/R almost all the way through, but I'd rather have the on base king ahead of Tucker for more runs scored.
Beat40
AgLA06 said:

Beat40 said:

Man, imagine if Uncle Mike comes back, hits .300 and draws some walks.

Not putting a lot of hope into it, but if that were to happen, it would certainly be welcome!
Imagine if he justs hits .275 and draws a bunch of walks. Maybe even has the occasional dinger.
He's never really been a huge walks guy in his career - around 8% for his career. His OBP is predicated mainly on hits.

If he actually does play and can have an OPS of .750, that would be super helpful.
Mr.Bond
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

BONER ALERT!!!!!! 10 RUNS COMING
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

Bonnettecj1
EastCoastAgNc said:

This should the the lineup every day.
Farmer1906
AG
AgLA06 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Trust me, I want to be wrong. But everything I've been told all year is that there's practically no chance he contributes this season. A return would surprise me much more than the alternative... but you never know.
I guess we know why you're more concerned with being the hall monitor.

I don't have any special sources usually, but in this one I did briefly. It was an Astros legend. Jose freaking Cruz told a family member of mine that Brantley would not be back this year. This was ~4 weeks ago in Puerto Rico.
texasaggie2015
AG
And this is why I'm not super optimistic. This very well could be a "well, let's just give it one last shot" thing.

Again, I would love to be wrong. But I trust the guys who have given me nothing but good info all year long that I've shared with you guys. This would be a heck of a surprise to everyone in the organization- at least as of about three weeks ago.
Farmer1906
AG
One thing to remember when making these fantasy lineups are platoons.

For example, maybe Brantley makes sense in the top 5 vs RHP. But vs LHP, it might be better to have Meyers in with his defense and preferred split.

Brantley vs LHP / RHP (wRC+)
2017 - 82 / 123
2018 - 86 / 139
2019 - 102 / 145
2020 - 73 (only 55 PA) / 156
2021 - 57 / 156
2022 - 115 (only 87 PA) / 133

Meyers vs LHP / RHP (wRC+)
2021 - 142 / 90
2022 - 60 / 68
2023 - 142 / 77

All his LHP splits are fairly small samples though.
Beat40
Bonnettecj1 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

I think I'd rather have Chas after Yordan, but that's just a nitpick.
Ag_07
AG
AgLA06 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Trust me, I want to be wrong. But everything I've been told all year is that there's practically no chance he contributes this season. A return would surprise me much more than the alternative... but you never know.
I guess we know why you're more concerned with being the hall monitor.

You have the stars...If he offends you so much just put him on ignore and move on
Prosperdick
AG
Bonnettecj1 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Still would prefer Yordan 3rd but I'll happily take it with Diaz catching.
Post removed:
by user
texasaggie2015
AG
This is why I was hesitant about sharing info on here for the longest time lol no idea what I did to make him so mad
All I do is Nguyen
texasaggie2015 said:

Wow. It's going to be really interesting to see what type of role he plays when he returns.
Please dont take this the wrong way but I am glad you were wrong, or at least potentially wrong lol
No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
texasaggie2015
AG
No offense taken. Again, I would love to be wrong. We'll see how the rehab plays out.
AggiEE
EastCoastAgNc said:

Imagine this lineup but with Michael Brantley instead of Meyers...
All I do is Nguyen
Can you imagine a lineup of

Altuve
Brantley
Yordan
Bregman
Tucker
Diaz
Chas
Singleton
Pena
No matter what!
Marvin
AG
A win tonight will do wonders for the team and this board.

In the meantime, be nice to each other!
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
redline248
AG
Brantley could be a boost, or he could be a reason for Dusty to put Diaz or Chas on the bench more

Flip a coin
AgLA06
AG
redline248 said:

Brantley could be a boost, or he could be a reason for Dusty to put Diaz or Chas on the bench more

Flip a coin
https://www.farmandfleet.com/products/851776-seymour-3-tine-forged-hay-fork.html?blaintm_source=google&blaintm_medium=pla&gclid=CjwKCAjwxOymBhAFEiwAnodBLOkeiNSlVaUsNUxayqfcgo8rRNbyBa3-s9WJds_1DyRXLrXaV3wkOxoCSUgQAvD_BwE
Farmer1906
AG
Marvin said:

A win tonight will do wonders for the team and this board.

In the meantime, be nice to each other!
Don't tell me what to do.
BadAggie
AG
Prosperdick said:

CoachAg19 said:

BadAggie said:

AgLA06 said:

BadAggie said:

Presumably bat would have been for the bench.

Market was such that decent rental bat would've cost a fair amount.

So you go to plan B and call up the 1B from AAA crushing it.

Plan C is Uncle Mike giving it another go at a return.

I don't buy this idea that one weak Maldy bat in the lineup prevents the rest from producing.

Yah proven statistics and reality or over rated!

Maldy sucking at plate is as much a crutch for underperformance of the top of the order in a given game here as Maldy's super great intangibles are for the pitching staff.

Last night in the top of the 7th inning, Maldy had a 3-1 count with 1 out and a runner on 1st. He swung at ball 4 and grounded out. He had the hottest hitter in baseball coming up behind him. And what did Altuve do? He doubled down the line to left. Had Maldy just stood still and taken ball 4, he would've been on 2nd base for that double, as there was a passed ball in Altuve's AB that would've advanced him. The game would've been tied 2-2 after Altuve's double. Tucker then walked. Bregman got out to end the inning. If Maldy, who has a .178 average, had not swung at ball 4, we would've had Alvarez up with two runners on in the 7th rather than him leading off the 8th.
1, 2, and 4 all got on RIGHT behind him, but his out on a ball he shouldn't have swung at cost us a run and the chance for more with Alvarez coming up with runners on. Should Bregman have produced with runners on? Absolutely. Should Alvarez had been in the 3-spot to begin with? Most likely.
In a 3-0 or 3-1 count, Maldy should NEVER be swinging. Not at this point in the season. If this were May...fine, take your hacks. Not in August when you SHOULD be trying to win every game at all costs.
I also think what most are missing is NORMALLY (not your example above) having a black hole at the 9 spot shouldn't have a significant impact on your overall lineup producing runs BUT removing that black hole and replacing it with a big bat in the MIDDLE of the lineup DOES have a significant impact.

That's the big issue here...not only does the pitcher lose a breather at the 9 hole but he now has to face Diaz after trying to get through Altuve, Breggie, Yordan, and Tucker (maybe Chas too) so that's 6 batters in a row that can do major damage to a pitcher. It now becomes a gauntlet.

So Maldy's to blame for everyone else in the order getting out with RISP? Some of you need to stop smoking your own dope.
W
AG
true

we would want Brantley to take away at-bats from the .600 OPS guys -- the sub .700 guys

not from Chas or Yainer
gambochaman
AG
MORE OF THIS DUSTY…MORE OF THIS PLZ

also if Brantley does come back my goodness

Yordan in left, chas in center, tucker in right, brantley dh, diaz catches

FRIGGIN DO IT DAMMIT
Ag_07
AG
I still think if Mike makes it back it'll be in a bench bat role.

Which isn't a bad thing. Our options off the bench are pretty dismal as-is especially if Yanier is catching.
Prosperdick
AG
BadAggie said:

Prosperdick said:

CoachAg19 said:

BadAggie said:

AgLA06 said:

BadAggie said:

I don't buy this idea that one weak Maldy bat in the lineup prevents the rest from producing.

Maldy sucking at plate is as much a crutch for underperformance of the top of the order in a given game here as Maldy's super great intangibles are for the pitching staff.

Last night in the top of the 7th inning, Maldy had a 3-1 count with 1 out and a runner on 1st. He swung at ball 4 and grounded out. He had the hottest hitter in baseball coming up behind him. And what did Altuve do? He doubled down the line to left. Had Maldy just stood still and taken ball 4, he would've been on 2nd base for that double, as there was a passed ball in Altuve's AB that would've advanced him. The game would've been tied 2-2 after Altuve's double. Tucker then walked. Bregman got out to end the inning. If Maldy, who has a .178 average, had not swung at ball 4, we would've had Alvarez up with two runners on in the 7th rather than him leading off the 8th.
1, 2, and 4 all got on RIGHT behind him, but his out on a ball he shouldn't have swung at cost us a run and the chance for more with Alvarez coming up with runners on. Should Bregman have produced with runners on? Absolutely. Should Alvarez had been in the 3-spot to begin with? Most likely.
In a 3-0 or 3-1 count, Maldy should NEVER be swinging. Not at this point in the season. If this were May...fine, take your hacks. Not in August when you SHOULD be trying to win every game at all costs.
I also think what most are missing is NORMALLY (not your example above) having a black hole at the 9 spot shouldn't have a significant impact on your overall lineup producing runs BUT removing that black hole and replacing it with a big bat in the MIDDLE of the lineup DOES have a significant impact.

That's the big issue here...not only does the pitcher lose a breather at the 9 hole but he now has to face Diaz after trying to get through Altuve, Breggie, Yordan, and Tucker (maybe Chas too) so that's 6 batters in a row that can do major damage to a pitcher. It now becomes a gauntlet.

So Maldy's to blame for everyone else in the order getting out with RISP? Some of you need to stop smoking your own dope.

Nice straw man, show me where I said that? I said replacing a big zero with a big bat in the middle of the lineup could have a significant impact. Maybe you should try some drugs.
texasaggie2015
AG
Hey guys. Everyone. Bring it in. Group hug.
CoachAg19
AG
BadAggie said:

Prosperdick said:

CoachAg19 said:

BadAggie said:

AgLA06 said:

BadAggie said:

No point in arguing with you when you say "everyone else in the order getting out" after Altuve and Tuck got on right behind him. Also no sense in arguing with you when you say "Maldy's to blame" when I clearly stated that Bregs should've come through as well.
gambochaman
AG
Listen

I'll be the first to admit that i just flat out need to take a valium
Or two during games….so i am sorry for what i have said in the heat of the moment
I have nothing against any of you and in fact i do quite enjoy the banter in this thread
All I do is Nguyen
texasaggie2015 said:

Hey guys. Everyone. Bring it in. Group hug.
ok
No matter what!
Marvin
AG
Mrs. Marvin is going to hate it, but I had to pull the trigger. It's so bad it's beautiful.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Beau Holder
AG
Hey y'all, what's going on in here today?

Lineup's a beaut. Hopefully they play with some urgency.
texasaggie2015
AG
That's the freaking ugliest thing I've ever seen in my life

Where do I get one?
First Page Last Page
Page 1718 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.