***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,507,933 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
txags11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've said it for years, and I still truly believe it. I think if you made LMJ a setup guy, he could be one of the best in the league. Let him ramp it up for 1 inning and with that nasty offspeed, I truly think he could be nearly unhittable.
Mr.Bond
AG
txags11 said:

I've said it for years, and I still truly believe it. I think if you made LMJ a setup guy, he could be one of the best in the league. Let him ramp it up for 1 inning and with that nasty offspeed, I truly think he could be nearly unhittable.

Imo it's his only option. He's not a starter, plain and simple
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

JDUB08AG
AG
Do we make a legit run at re-signing Neris and Maton? Stanek?
GhostWipe15
AG
Im willing to bet Neris is the only one the organization wants back and the price tag will be to much.
Stanek and Maton can be replace with low cost minor call ups such as Mushinski.
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

I thought Lance was supposed to be ready to go for 2024?
I don't know the typical recovery for flexor tendon surgery with a bone spur removed, but here is Skubal's timeline.

Skubal
Surgery 8/17/2022
Pitched 7/4/2023

McCullers
Surgery 6/14/2023
Target Early May

Dana did sound a little more optimistic.

Quote:

Brown said the team did not have an exact timeline for when McCullers would return, but he could possibly start throwing again in November, and "then we will see in January where he is and how much he can get amped up."

Garcia will likely be the 2nd of 2024. Lance is probably more of an unknown.
tjack16
AG
I think a future 1-5 of controllable guys like Framber, Javier, France, Brown and Garcia through 2025/2026 sets us up really well. Especially when you add in JV next year.

I'd use Urquidy as trade bait if we had to throw anybody out there.

But yes I agree having LMJ in the pen as a leverage guy would be ideal.
Mathguy64
AG
Silent For Too Long said:

Mathguy64 said:

Bregxit said:

texasaggie2015 said:

I never thought optimism would be so unwelcome around here. I mean good lord. This thread is insufferable after losses.

Yep. It is a beating. Trying to convince folks that playing .667 ball down the stretch is great is futile.

It's hard. We are playing .667 ball but losing ground to the teams in front and behind us.

But we are not losing ground to the teams in front and behind us.

We are keeping pace. We also have the best odds to take the lead.

Since August 1 we are 8-4. That's playing .667 ball.

Texas is 10-2. Seattle is 9-3. We lost ground to the teams in front and behind us. Blummer made this same comment yesterday during the game. We are in a fight this season.

You want to go back farther?

Since July 25

Astros 11-7
Texas 11-6
Seattle is 14-4

That's . 611 ball and we still lost ground.

Think I'm cherry picking dates? Since the ASB, we lost ground playing .642 ball.

Astros 18-10
Texas 18-9
Seattle 19-10

We are playing really good and unfortunately the teams around us are playing better. That's why losing 2-1 to the Angels at home matters.

That's not booing the players. It's reality. And it's hard.
TRM
AG
I'd hate to see Urquidy traded. Not as good stuff as the others, but mentally tougher than Framber or Garcia.
Farmer1906
AG
JDUB08AG said:

Do we make a legit run at re-signing Neris and Maton? Stanek?
If you count Maton (spotrac doesn't right now) we have the highest paid bullpen in baseball. I think Dana Brown is going to welcome some payroll relief there and find cheaper options.

If Lance moves to the bullpen he'd be the 3rd highest-paid reliever AAV and if you only took his last 3 seasons, his total contract would be 2nd to only Edwin Diaz's 102 M deal.

I will believe there is any chance he moves to the bullpen when Dana Brown and Lance McCullers say something public. Until then he's a starter.
texasaggie2015
AG

Mathguy64
AG
What do you do with 7 starters? You make tandem starters. You have a 5 man rotation and 2 of them only need to go 4 innings a start.
Marvin
AG
I wouldn't trade any of our pitchers unless you are getting something very, very good in return. Like, Louis Robert type of good.

What we often forget is how valuable Urquidy, Garcia, and Javier can be as long-inning relievers. It has been an incredibly successful formula for limiting other bullpen usage.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
texasaggie2015
AG
The Astros have a different way of developing starters. Just take JP France for example. Nobody knew who he was before this year.

They strongly believe if a pitcher has moderate success in AAA, he will be successful in the big leagues. I'm not sure what exactly that means, but from what I've been told, it's a combination of their development process and their AAA league to be very hitter friendly.

They have a couple guys who they think could be ready to contribute in 2024: Colton Gordon and Spencer Arrighetti. If one of those guys is able to step in and produce, it may make one of the other guys expendable.

Time will tell.
Farmer1906
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I said this before. Gilbert was the 3rd or 4th best outfielder in Corpus.

Joey Loperfido
Zach Daniels
Kenedy Corona

We got some guys.
texasaggie2015
AG
Luis Baez down in Fayetteville as well. His ETA is a little farther out, but he's a fun prospect. He projects as a corner outfielder or first baseman.
Farmer1906
AG
And Melton is now in Corpus but he wasn't when I was saying that.
Beat40
I keep coming back to just keep winning and make the post season. That's all I care about at this point.

I think the Astros have the starting pitching, bullpen, and offense (now that Altuve and Yordan are playing together and Dusty has realized the order of Altuve, Bregman, Yordan, Tucker, Diaz/Chas really does work) to make a run regardless of where they are in the post season bracket. Obviously would like to make it as easy as possible.

The Astros have games against the Rangers and Seattle to directly pick up some games. Gotta take advantage of those.

Gotta play well against the NL East. I know Ranger fans are really looking forward to the Astros playing the AL East as, from what I've read, they think the Astros will run into some trouble. I think that's when the Astros step up the most, a la the Orioles series.

I think if the Astros stick within 3 games of the Rangers in August, they'll have a shot at the division in September. All you can ask for is a shot.
linkdude
AG
It'd be pretty cool if the Angels activated Trout against the Rangers. Hopefully just winning the series 2-1 in Miami will keep pace.
Farmer1906
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Silent For Too Long said:

Mathguy64 said:

Bregxit said:

texasaggie2015 said:

I never thought optimism would be so unwelcome around here. I mean good lord. This thread is insufferable after losses.

Yep. It is a beating. Trying to convince folks that playing .667 ball down the stretch is great is futile.

It's hard. We are playing .667 ball but losing ground to the teams in front and behind us.

But we are not losing ground to the teams in front and behind us.

We are keeping pace. We also have the best odds to take the lead.

Since August 1 we are 8-4. That's playing .667 ball.

Texas is 10-2. Seattle is 9-3. We lost ground to the teams in front and behind us. Blummer made this same comment yesterday during the game. We are in a fight this season.

You want to go back farther?

Since July 25

Astros 11-7
Texas 11-6
Seattle is 14-4

That's . 611 ball and we still lost ground.

Think I'm cherry picking dates? Since the ASB, we lost ground playing .642 ball.

Astros 18-10
Texas 18-9
Seattle 19-10

We are playing really good and unfortunately the teams around us are playing better. That's why losing 2-1 to the Angels at home matters.

That's not booing the players. It's reality. And it's hard.
If we play .667 the rest of the win and end up with 97 or 98 wins and still don't win the division then Seattle or Arlington earned it. I know all games count the same, but blaming winning series but not sweeping down the stretch is kind of silly. We sucked in June and were not great in Mar/April.
texasaggie2015
AG
Thank you. This.
Deluxe
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

The Astros have a different way of developing starters. Just take JP France for example. Nobody knew who he was before this year.

They strongly believe if a pitcher has moderate success in AAA, he will be successful in the big leagues. I'm not sure what exactly that means, but from what I've been told, it's a combination of their development process and their AAA league to be very hitter friendly.

They have a couple guys who they think could be ready to contribute in 2024: Colton Gordon and Spencer Arrighetti. If one of those guys is able to step in and produce, it may make one of the other guys expendable.

Time will tell.

In the minors, we grade our pitchers on how well they execute pitches. There's much less detail and customization that goes into each matchup and AB. So results as measured by common pitching statistics are less relevant.

If we have a guy at AAA who proves he can execute the pitches we call for him, we can bring him to the show, where our full pitching braintrust is put behind what they should throw to any given batter in any given situation.

It's a totally different rubric and it's one of our biggest advantages relative to organizations who don't operate that way. We don't groom pitchers in the minors to be crafty and get outs. We groom the them to throw nasty stuff and let the experts like Maldy do the thinking for them when they get called up.
McInnis
AG
txags11 said:

I think the best game he ever pitched was game was against the Yankees in the 2017 ALCS. And it was in relief. Remember he got in such a groove with his curve that McCann wasn't even bothering to put down a signal, he would just nod his head.

And for anyone who doesn't think we need Brantley back, are you assuming that Yordon will stay healthy the rest of the year? Why would anyone think that?
Wabs
AG
This seems like the perfect week for the Angels to go on a run for a wild card spot.
Farmer1906
AG
McInnis said:

txags11 said:

I think the best game he ever pitched was game was against the Yankees in the 2017 ALCS. And it was in relief. Remember he got in such a groove with his curve that McCann wasn't even bothering to put down a signal, he would just not his head.

And for anyone who doesn't think we need Brantley back, are you assuming that Yordon will stay healthy the rest of the year? Why would anyone think that?

We can kiss another title away if Yordan gets hurt. Brantley ain't that kind of dude in his prime.
texasaggie2015
AG
linkdude
AG
Ironic that the crop cuts out the LOL
W
AG
good data

looking back...the series that really hurt was losing 3 of 4 to the Mariners at MMP just before the all-star break

because the Rangers also lost 3 of 4 that weekend
FrioAg 00
AG
I don't see us as "losing ground"

We have been hovering around 5.5 back for the league lead, and 2.5 back for the division, and 4 ahead for the wildcard cutoff for the last month.

We just aren't taking over the gap yet either
W
AG
the Rangers were 14-13 in June and 11-13 in July

they were vulnerable
Mathguy64
AG
The biggest deal on the schedule is the last 10 games.

We have 3 against Seattle sandwiched between 3 each with KC and Arizona.

Seattle has those three with us between 7 with Texas. Texas puts the Angels between those 7 with Seattle.

IMHO that's where it happens. One way or the other that's where it happens. There won't be any resting of players the last week and no messing around with starters to set up a playoff rotation. Not for anyone.

Farmer1906
AG
W said:

the Rangers were 14-13 in June and 11-13 in July

they were vulnerable
We sucked in June too and made up ground in July.
bearkatag15
AG
Farmer1906 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Joey Loperfido
Zach Daniels
Kenedy Corona

We got some guys.
JDUB08AG
AG
Could he be our future 1B?
Farmer1906
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Farmer1906 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Joey Loperfido
Zach Daniels
Kenedy Corona

We got some guys.

Over the last two seasons (Low A thru AA)

863 PA
32 HR
55 SB
134 R
131 RBI
.914 OPS
144 wRC+
bearkatag15
AG
He just turned 24 this year. I imagine next year he could be up if he tears up Sugar Land the rest of this year and to start next year.
First Page Last Page
Page 1692 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.