***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,507,871 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Silent For Too Long
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mathguy64 said:

Bregxit said:

texasaggie2015 said:

I never thought optimism would be so unwelcome around here. I mean good lord. This thread is insufferable after losses.

Yep. It is a beating. Trying to convince folks that playing .667 ball down the stretch is great is futile.

It's hard. We are playing .667 ball but losing ground to the teams in front and behind us.

But we are not losing ground to the teams in front and behind us.

We are keeping pace. We also have the best odds to take the lead.

The pot banging on here really has gotten out of hand. I've gotten to the point where I just don't even look at the thread most days we lose.

We have one of the most successful runs in modern baseball to root for and some parts of our fanbase are starting to act like Yankee fans. It's embarrassing.

God forbid we ever get to the point where we are booing our own players. I pray some of you wake up and get some perspective before then. I hope you aren't raising your kids to be this entitled. This bull**** doesn't belong in Houston. We are better people then that.

Sorry.

/rant
NTAS
not silent for too long...
All I do is Nguyen
Silent For Too Long said:

Mathguy64 said:

Bregxit said:

texasaggie2015 said:

I never thought optimism would be so unwelcome around here. I mean good lord. This thread is insufferable after losses.

Yep. It is a beating. Trying to convince folks that playing .667 ball down the stretch is great is futile.

It's hard. We are playing .667 ball but losing ground to the teams in front and behind us.

But we are not losing ground to the teams in front and behind us.

We are keeping pace. We also have the best odds to take the lead.

The pot banging on here really has gotten out of hand. I've gotten to the point where I just don't even look at the thread most days we lose.

We have one of the most successful runs in modern baseball to root for and some parts of our fanbase are starting to act like Yankee fans. It's embarrassing.

God forbid we ever get to the point where we are booing our own players. I pray some of you wake up and get some perspective before then. I hope you aren't raising your kids to be this entitled. This bull**** doesn't belong in Houston. We are better people then that.

Sorry.

/rant
While I 100% agree with everything you've said, we are not alone in how we feel about our team.

What I mean is I have read many fan forums for many different teams and almost all of them have people who want to fire everyone, trade everyone, and start over. I have also learned there will always, ALWAYS, be someone who is mad about something. No matter how well the team is doing. I read posts back when the patriots went what was it, 18-1? and there were fans complaining during games that the patriots were going to lose because Bellichick played some no name, BB is an idiot and needs to retire, the run is over now, we're mediocre etc.

Every fanbase has their pot bangers, sunshine pumpers and realistic fans. I just ignore those people and move on. While I am not happy when we lose, I am very grateful for the run we've had.
No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
tjack16
AG
If Brantley is in fact going on a rehab soon and comes back in September (yeah I'll believe it when I see his name on the lineup card in Houston) … if he does come back, it'll force Dusty to make some difficult decisions.

Brantley likely would have to DH every game. So what does that do to Diaz and Singleton?
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I'm hearing DR

And the mother and daughter said she was 18. However if he got photos sent in the states it could still be child pron charges at the least.

I've heard both way that she tried to bribe him and that he tried to buy her off. We shall see
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
If he comes back. He won't play every day. He will mainly be a lefty bat off the bench is my guess. With some DH time

He also can play some first
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

If he comes back. He won't play every day. He will mainly be a lefty bat off the bench is my guess. With some DH time

He also can play some first
He has as much experience playing first base as Yordan does. I highly doubt we see him in the field at all. Remember how noodle-armed Jake was last year?
OKCAg2002
AG
Regarding Brantley, I think it's a legitimate question as to whether or not really makes the team better. He obviously gets the benefit of the doubt, but if he is only able to DH, he's going to take ABs away from Diaz. Dusty gets another reason to sit one of our best bats.

I'm hopeful we see him back, but I'm not convinced he's an upgrade to what we already have. Whose spot does he take? Kessinger would be the most obvious player sent down, but he has value as a player in the infield.
Farmer1906
AG
Let's tweak your comments. Does he make the team better? Yes. Will Dusty use him to make the team better? Maybe not.
OKCAg2002
AG
A healthy Brantley would for sure be an upgrade. But he hasn't swung a bat in MLB in over a year. And if he can't play the field, you have a Jeff Bagwell situation where his teammates were having to accommodate his injury.
Farmer1906
AG
Fair. I am assuming he can still hit somewhat similarly to 2022. Play him as a part time DH, part time LF vs RHP. Use him as a PH late in games. That's a solid role.

Diaz has to start more behind the plate. Diaz needs to start coming in around the 7th when JV, Framber, & Urquidy leave the game.
OKCAg2002
AG
If Brantley's contribution is only a late inning lefty PH, I can get on board with that. If nothing else, you are forcing the opposing manager to scheme around that. Don't take me the wrong way. I'm really hopping we see him in some capacity, but I'm just not super optimistic at this point. If he's hindered, let's just roll with the current group.
texasaggie2015
AG
I'm actually shocked they're sending him on a rehab assignment. I'll be more shocked if he plays in the field. I expect his role to be very limited.
Ag_07
AG
I'll be shocked if he makes it through the rehab assignment.
texasaggie2015
AG

I think his dad was in attendance as well. And he assisted in turning a triple play. Pretty cool stuff.
tjack16
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I'm actually shocked they're sending him on a rehab assignment. I'll be more shocked if he plays in the field. I expect his role to be very limited.

I'm assuming there will be a setback so I'm not getting too excited
Prosperdick
AG
Any guesses to the lineup tonight? We know with Framber on the bump Maldy is catching and batting 9th.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Not true. I think it's unlikely but he played there in games in minor league stints last time. Yordon was a short experiment, Brantley has played in games
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Prosperdick said:

Any guesses to the lineup tonight? We know with Framber on the bump Maldy is catching and batting 9th.

Altuve-4
Bregman-5
Alvarez-7
Tucker-9
Diaz-DH
Meyers-8
Hensley-3
Pena-6
Maldy-2
shano0603
AG
Someone send this to dusty
OKCAg2002
AG
Good thing Dusty never managed Cal Ripken, Jr.
gougler08
AG
shano0603 said:

Someone send this to dusty

Acuna with 16 HR's less than Olson but a higher OPS is damn impressive
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
All but Olsen are younger than Bregman right?

And Abreu if he was right would have played in all games I bet
Wabs
AG
Be prepared for Yuli to go 3 for 4 with a HR.
W
AG
Astros have played 119 games

118 games played for Bregman

117 games for Tucker
W
AG
George played 162 games in 2016

he might be the last Astro to do that
Eso si, Que es
W said:

Astros have played 119 games

118 games played for Bregman

117 games for Tucker
and it feels like 162 games played for Madly already
bearkatag15
AG

Ag_07
AG
Man...I had completely forgotten about Lance

It's a shame he's become such an afterthought.
texasaggie2015
AG
Lots of SPs under team control for multiple years. That's going to be good trade bait this offseason.

They're also strongly considering moving Garcia to the bullpen once he gets healthy. They think he could be an elite bullpen arm and his stuff is better out of the pen.
Farmer1906
AG
Garcia & Lane are both going to miss significant time in 2024. Its basically the same 6 we have now.
Ag_07
AG
I thought Lance was supposed to be ready to go for 2024?
n_touch
Ag_07 said:

I thought Lance was supposed to be ready to go for 2022 2023 2024?
CoachAg19
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Lots of SPs under team control for multiple years. That's going to be good trade bait this offseason.

They're also strongly considering moving Garcia to the bullpen once he gets healthy. They think he could be an elite bullpen arm and his stuff is better out of the pen.

Who do you think could be the trade bait?
Framber, JV, Brown aren't going anywhere. If what you say about Garcia is true, he isn't going anywhere…and for the record, I agree with what you said on him 100%. LMJ…nobody is taking on that contract with his injury history. No chance. That leaves Javier, Urquidy, and France.

I'd hope that after what he's done this season, we aren't going to be looking to move France. Urquidy…I could see that one happening, although I don't know how sought after he'd be by other teams. Javier…love his potential, but he has to learn to be more consistent. I'd imagine he could attract some high trade value, but I feel like the long term potential of guys like France and Garcia could alter that for the Astros.
Class of 2010
W
AG
please remove Lance from all lists
First Page Last Page
Page 1691 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.