***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,446,712 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

On 790, Dusty advocating that the way to fix Diaz struggles against lefties is to let him sit on the bench...compared him to a newly drafted QB needing to sit on the bench for a year to learn.
Damnit, Dusty.

Guess which group of stats match up with which split.

Vs LHP (61 PA)
91.5 EV
10 LA
15.9% Barrel%
45.5% HH%
.281 xBA
.525 xSLG
.358 xwOBA
23.0% K%
4.9 BB%

vs RHP (184 PA)
90.6 EV
14 LA
12.0% Barrel%
44.7% HH%
.290 xBA
.580 xSLG
.372 xwOBA
15.8% K%
1.6% BB%

To be fair, Maldy does hit lefties well. If Maldy has to play, that is the time to play him. However, Diaz should DH/play 1st vs LHP.
Farmer1906
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Tucker 2nd in MVP ranking per MLB Experts
Should have traded him so we'll be better in 2026+.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Mr.Bond
AG
bearkatag15 said:

I've always felt they should rename it as the most outstanding player not the most valuable player because to me a guy cannot be that valuable if his team can never make the playoffs
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

redline248
AG
Mr.Bond said:

bearkatag15 said:

I've always felt they should rename it as the most outstanding player not the most valuable player because to me a guy cannot be that valuable if his team can never make the playoffs
It's all how one defines, it. In this case, Shohei is the most valuable to the league.
07ag
AG
mwm said:

TexAgs gets a replica. After all, we make all the big decisions, don't we? At least, we give them our opinions.
texasaggie2015 probably passes our suggestions up the food chain, i can totally see there being a texags ring
https://ts.la/eric59704
Farmer1906
AG
redline248 said:

Mr.Bond said:

bearkatag15 said:

It's all how one defines, it. In this case, Shohei is the most valuable to the league.
He's so valuable he may someone is going to give him half a billion.
BadAggie
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

REQUIESCAT IN PACE SPENSER

BadAggie
AG
Farmer1906 said:

redline248 said:

Mr.Bond said:

bearkatag15 said:

He's so valuable he may someone is going to give him half a billion.

EastCoastAgNc
AG

Angels continue their freefall
Ag_07
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

On 790, Dusty advocating that the way to fix Diaz struggles against lefties is to let him sit on the bench...compared him to a newly drafted QB needing to sit on the bench for a year to learn.

W
AG
Mr.Bond said:

I agree.

pressure is a huge part of baseball...especially for hitters

and once your team falls out of contention...it's much easier to relax and play
BadAggie
AG
Some team's going to go all in on Ohtani and pay him something stupid this winter.
bearkatag15
AG

It turned out quite a bit different than originally planned.
MaxPower
So glad they are in our division.
MaxPower
Farmer1906 said:

bearkatag15 said:

Should have traded him so we'll be better in 2026+.
Offseason thread bro
bearkatag15
AG
bearkatag15 said:

stoneca
bearkatag15 said:

whoever decided metal would look better than glass had to be an Astro fan. No way anyone in their right mind would think that it looks better
txags92
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

You see, the way to play any game better is not to play. So if you are a quarterback and want to get better at throwing the ball to a receiver, for god's sake don't go throw the ball more to receivers. You need to stand on the sideline and watch somebody else try to throw the ball to a receiver and miss. Likewise, if you are a batter and don't hit lefties well, the last thing you want to do is get in the batters box and face some lefties. What you need to do is sit on the bench and watch somebody else bat below the Mendoza line.

From what I can find stat wise, Diaz is hitting something like .213 against lefties and Maldy is batting a scorching .218 against them. Clearly we can't give up that production to get Diaz a few more looks.
texasaggie2015
AG
Astros Ticket Exchange group on Facebook. Lots of season ticket holders who sell at face value. No fees. I got two tickets first row in the 300 level behind home plate for $40/each.
Farmer1906
AG
txags92 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

You see, the way to play any game better is not to play. So if you are a quarterback and want to get better at throwing the ball to a receiver, for god's sake don't go throw the ball more to receivers. You need to stand on the sideline and watch somebody else try to throw the ball to a receiver and miss. Likewise, if you are a batter and don't hit lefties well, the last thing you want to do is get in the batters box and face some lefties. What you need to do is sit on the bench and watch somebody else bat below the Mendoza line.

From what I can find stat wise, Diaz is hitting something like .213 against lefties and Maldy is batting a scorching .218 against them. Clearly we can't give up that production to get Diaz a few more looks.
On-field results are that Maldy is better vs lefties.

But moving forward if Yainer keeps hitting the ball like he has, he'll his about equally well vs LHP & RHP. We're just looking at a small sample here of about 12-13 games worth of plate appearances.
txags92
AG
Farmer1906 said:

txags92 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

On-field results are that Mlady is better vs lefties.

But moving forward if Yainer keeps hitting the ball like he has, he'll his about equally well vs LHP & RHP. We're just looking at a small sample here of about 12-13 games worth of plate appearances.
Are you seeing different stats than I am? If Maldy is hitting .218 against lefties and Diaz is hitting .213, then no, Maldy is not better against lefties by any significant amount. But the stats I was trying to look up were not totally clear, so if he is hitting much better than .218 against lefties, then ignore me.
W
AG
speaking of Ohtani...

it looks like the Astros will finally miss his turn in the Angels rotation

he slated to start Wednesday vs. the Giants
Farmer1906
AG
txags92 said:

Farmer1906 said:

txags92 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Are you seeing different stats than I am? If Maldy is hitting .218 against lefties and Diaz is hitting .213, then no, Maldy is not better against lefties by any significant amount. But the stats I was trying to look up were not totally clear, so if he is hitting much better than .218 against lefties, then ignore me.
I don't really judge how well someone is based on their BA alone because it ignores a lot of really important pieces of information.

Maldy vs LHP
.218 BA
.295 OBP
.491 SLG
.786 OPS
114 wRC+

Diaz vs LHP
.175 BA
.213 OBP
.263 SLG
.476 OPS
27 wRC+

But if you believe the batted ball metrics then Diaz is about as unlucky as you can get vs LHP.
Eso si, Que es
Farmer1906 said:

txags92 said:

Farmer1906 said:

txags92 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

I don't really judge how well someone is based on their BA alone because it ignores a lot of really important pieces of information.

Maldy vs LHP
.218 BA
.295 OBP
.491 SLG
.786 OPS
114 wRC+

Diaz vs LHP
.175 BA
.213 OBP
.263 SLG
.476 OPS
27 wRC+

But if you believe the batted ball metrics then Diaz is about as unlucky as you can get vs LHP.

And the frustrating part is how many times we see Dusty ignore stats and advanced stats to suit his biases.

Bagwell and Reggie both often discuss how they believe the Astros lean into analytics too much and ignore gut feels. Dusty is quick to point to analytics when they support his bias and ignores them when they don't support his bias, which means he just goes with his gut (bias) and points to analytics when it is supporting to claim he uses both gut and analytics.

Where were analytics when we were screaming how much better Hunter pitched to Diaz? Where were analytics when they supported Yordan higher in the batting order? Where were analytics in reference to starting Chaz? Where were analytics in reference to all the times Diaz is on the correct side of the numbers vs Maldy?

We all have biases and use "damn statistics" to back up our biases, Dusty is just on the wrong side of statistics so many times it is hypocritical when he rolls them out in his argument once a decade to justify something
fc2112
An idea we all can get behind.

txags92
AG
Farmer1906 said:

txags92 said:

Farmer1906 said:

txags92 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Maldy vs LHP
.218 BA
.295 OBP
.491 SLG
.786 OPS
114 wRC+

Diaz vs LHP
.175 BA
.213 OBP
.263 SLG
.476 OPS
27 wRC+

Thanks. Looks like I jumped a column on Diaz. His claim makes at least a bit more sense with those numbers.
Post removed:
by user
BadAggie
AG
Marvin
AG
Seven of the Orioles batting have seen Framber before tonight. Only 27 total times, but they are hitting .407 against him. Hopefully that was a single bad outing.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
linkdude
AG
bearkatag15
AG
linkdude said:

That son of a ***** put out an almost perfect lineup
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Marvin said:

Seven of the Orioles batting have seen Framber before tonight. Only 27 total times, but they are hitting .407 against him. Hopefully that was a single bad outing.
I think the Orioles are the team that ended his quality start streak last year. That was a pretty rough start.
Teddy Perkins
AG
linkdude said:

Yordan in left. Makes sense with Framber getting mostly grounders.
bearkatag15
AG
Marvin said:

seems like it was just 1 game plus Adam Frazier with a few games vs Framber
First Page Last Page
Page 1566 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.