***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,447,555 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Mr.Ackar07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Username checks out
FredMc92
Wabs said:

W said:

yes, and to be fair to Dusty...

arguably the single biggest problem on the team is Jose Abreu.

he's up to 454 plate appearances and 414 at-bats at a .641 OPS clip...OPS+ of 77

if he were providing the .800 OPS that he's being paid to provide...

the Astros lead the division by 3 games instead of trailing by 3 games
To be fair to Dusty, I'd say his lineups alone have probably cost us at least 5 games this season. To be realistic with Dusty, I'd say more like 8-10 games.

Just checking my numbers here to make sure I have it right.

So, you're saying in your "realistic" opinion, THIS Astros team should have the most wins in baseball by 2-4 games?

That's your belief?
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
JDUB08AG said:

I edited my post to specify playoff lineups. I know he has done it a lot this year, but come playoff time, the "risk" of losing both catchers would be a lot for toothpick to stomach.

ok….

But we're talking about the playoffs. Where a 26 man roster matters much less because everyone no longer plays. You maximize as many arms as you can and then you add Cesar as the third catcher so it isn't a worry

I believe we can have 14 arms which allows 12 players

1. Yordon
2. Altuve
3. Tucker
4. Bregman
5. Abreu
6. Pena
7. Meyers
8. McCormick
9. Maldonado
10. Diaz
11. Salazar
12. Dubon
13. (Optional) Julks/ Kessinger/Singleton if he's ever brought up

For shlts and giggles

1. JV
2. Framber
3. Javier
4. Brown
5. France
6. Urquidy
7. Pressley
8. Abreu
9. Neris
10. Stanek
11. Maton
12. Mushinski
13. Martinez
14. (Optional) Blanco/Bielak/Gage/Montero
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Bregman's shoes are embarrassing, sorry rant over
Farmer1906
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

I wouldn't say embarrassing, but I am not a fan of sneakers with a suit look.
07ag
AG
https://ts.la/eric59704
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

JDUB08AG said:

I edited my post to specify playoff lineups. I know he has done it a lot this year, but come playoff time, the "risk" of losing both catchers would be a lot for toothpick to stomach.

ok….

But we're talking about the playoffs. Where a 26 man roster matters much less because everyone no longer plays. You maximize as many arms as you can and then you add Cesar as the third catcher so it isn't a worry

1. Yordon
2. Altuve
3. Tucker
4. Bregman
5. Abreu
6. Pena
7. Meyers
8. McCormick
9. Maldonado
10. Diaz
11. Salazar
12. Dubon

For shlts and giggles

1. JV
2. Framber
3. Javier
4. Brown
5. France
6. Urquidy
7. Pressley
8. Abreu
9. Neris
10. Stanek
11. Maton
12. Mushinski
13. Martinez

Pretty sure they put rules in place a few years ago that said no more than 13 pitchers on the squad
Farmer1906
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

JDUB08AG said:

ok….

1. Yordon
2. Altuve
3. Tucker
4. Bregman
5. Abreu
6. Pena
7. Meyers
8. McCormick
9. Maldonado
10. Diaz
11. Salazar
12. Dubon

For shlts and giggles

1. JV
2. Framber
3. Javier
4. Brown
5. France
6. Urquidy
7. Pressley
8. Abreu
9. Neris
10. Stanek
11. Maton
12. Mushinski
13. Martinez
I have a wild option for yall.

Jacob Melton should be the last spot on the bench. He's listed as a 60/60 speed/run on his prospect report and has stolen 40 bases in 81 games this year. He should be the designated runner late in games similar to Fisher in '17 and Straw in '18 & '20.

W
AG
Altuve's WBC injury would be second on my list

the Astros lost about 40 games from an .880 OPS leadoff hitter
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I believe that is only regular season. But also why I put the optional line 13 on fielders and 14 on pitchers
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Wild indeed. But also means he must be added to 40 man and I believe has to be on the active roster in regular season
W
AG
and no one should be happy with negative WAR players
MAROON
AG
07ag said:

there is no way Julia doesn't get a sniff
Wabs
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

JDUB08AG said:

ok….

1. Yordon
2. Altuve
3. Tucker
4. Bregman
5. Abreu
6. Pena
7. Meyers
8. McCormick
9. Maldonado
10. Diaz
11. Salazar
12. Dubon

For shlts and giggles

1. JV
2. Framber
3. Javier
4. Brown
5. France
6. Urquidy
7. Pressley
8. Abreu
9. Neris
10. Stanek
11. Maton
12. Mushinski
13. Martinez
Graveman?
Mr.Bond
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Orlando Palmeiro, Wade Miller, Luke Gregerson

berkman
Devo, machete, gregerson
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

Farmer1906
AG
MAROON said:

07ag said:

there is no way Julia doesn't get a sniff

Too old.
Prosperdick
AG
Silent For Too Long said:

Wabs said:

W said:

yes, and to be fair to Dusty...

arguably the single biggest problem on the team is Jose Abreu.

he's up to 454 plate appearances and 414 at-bats at a .641 OPS clip...OPS+ of 77

if he were providing the .800 OPS that he's being paid to provide...

the Astros lead the division by 3 games instead of trailing by 3 games
To be fair to Dusty, I'd say his lineups alone have probably cost us at least 5 games this season. To be realistic with Dusty, I'd say more like 8-10 games.

I'm sorry, I'm really trying to avoid getting into Dusty discussions, but this really isn't even remotely true.

People with a lot more time on my hands have done statistical analysis of lineups and their impacts on wins and losses and over the course of a season you are talking maybe a 10 game swing. And that would be assuming he literally got it wrong every single time.

The Dusty hate is so insane it makes this thread hard to read sometimes. He's going down in history as one of the greatest managers of all time. The lack of perspective is crazy to me. Is he stubborn and old fashioned? Yes. Does he tend to stick with veterans as long as he can? Yes. But most mlb managers operate in a very similar mindset.

And, for whatever reason, billionaires keep giving Dusty the key to the hundred+ million dollar cars.

Ok. End rant. I know it's likely useless to even try to defend him but his first ballot hall of fame induction will speak for itself. In fact, most of his haters will remember him much more fondly in the years to come. Especially if he locks down a 2nd title.

Look, I hear you and I understand but my only point is on that statistical data, do you think there's a manager in MLB right now that would have kept Yordan 5th as long as he has (and continues to do). I don't think there's another manager who would do something that insanely stupid. That alone renders some of that data moot.

We've already shown all the similar players to Yordan and none of them bat later than 4th, and most 2nd or 3rd. Now the Chas stuff probably some other skippers would be reluctant to move him up but I really believe with AJ at the helm we would be in first.
Mr.Bond
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

I've never been mistaken as a fashionista..... but I don't understand the trend with suit pants being 3 inches above the ankle
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Good call! Thought I was forgetting someone! I'd put him in place of Martinez and if we can take 14 Seth would replace the other optional guys
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I hate that as well but they at least have socks so I let it slide. But tennis shoes with a suit is atrocious
Edit: I stand corrected. Pena and Tuck are rocking ankle skin
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

JDUB08AG said:

ok….

1. Yordon
2. Altuve
3. Tucker
4. Bregman
5. Abreu
6. Pena
7. Meyers
8. McCormick
9. Maldonado
10. Diaz
11. Salazar
12. Dubon

For shlts and giggles

1. JV
2. Framber
3. Javier
4. Brown
5. France
6. Urquidy
7. Pressley
8. Abreu
9. Neris
10. Stanek
11. Maton
12. Mushinski
13.Graveman
14. (Optional) Martinez….Blanco/Bielak/Gage/Montero
txags92
AG
Mr.Bond said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

I've never been mistaken as a fashionista..... but I don't understand the trend with suit pants being 3 inches above the ankle
This. We used to make fun of people wearing "highwaters" like that. No idea how or why it became fashionable, but much like flat brimmer hats, it looks terrible.
Dies Irae
texasaggie2015 said:

If anyone plays Immaculate Grid, I'm curious what your answers were for the Astros names. If someone can tell me how to do the spoiler tag, I'll share mine.
Nolan Ryan, Moises Alou, Justin Verlander
Mr.Ackar07
txags92 said:

Mr.Bond said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

This. We used to make fun of people wearing "highwaters" like that. No idea how or why it became fashionable, but much like flat brimmer hats, it looks terrible.
It mistakenly came into fashion when betas wanted to show off their argyle and other colorful socks.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I can atleast take that as a fashion accessory the bigger problem is when done without socks.
Farmer1906
AG
txags92 said:

Mr.Bond said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Its not meant to be above the ankle. The idea is the pants don't have a break at the bottom. When sitting and walking it might slide up a little. Going too short is better than too long. You look sloppy as hell if your pants go full break or beyond.

texasaggie2015
AG
Julks has been optioned to AAA.
Farmer1906
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Wow!
All I do is Nguyen
I know none of us are fans of the Jankees but this is downright despicable

The fact they waited TWO MONTHS before diagnosing Rizzo with a concussion should open them up to medical negligence charges
No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
tjack16
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I guess Singleton is coming up?
texasaggie2015
AG
I haven't been told anything, but my speculation is that Singleton is coming.
Farmer1906
AG
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think JV is rocking 187k Patek.

Mathguy64
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

That's a really good move. It gives him a chance to work through his issues at the plate every day rather than either sitting day after day or being under immense pressure at the plate here.

And it takes the matter out of Dusty's hands.
Mr.Ackar07
I know absolutely nothing about watches other than how to tell time, but why would JV's watch have a dark circle in the upper left side and your image doesn't?

Never mind - his is "upside down" in the picture. /duh
TexAg2001
AG
I think the dark circle you're referencing may be the moon and stars thing.
First Page Last Page
Page 1555 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.