***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,447,888 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Prosperdick
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Hottest catcher in the league...that's just fan stuff. Keep him on the bench.
JDUB08AG
AG
I edited my post to specify playoff lineups. I know he has done it a lot this year, but come playoff time, the "risk" of losing both catchers would be a lot for toothpick to stomach.
Beat40
Farmer1906 said:

And he's fighting for ABs.
Johnsy3
AG
Prosperdick said:

Farmer1906 said:

Hottest catcher in the league...that's just fan stuff. Keep him on the bench.

I get that we've been injured but this is why we're behind in the division. No Yainer, Yordan batting 5th, Pena 2nd, etc
AggiEE
Beat40 said:

Farmer1906 said:

And he's fighting for ABs.

Well, you know, Everyone want the new guy and push out the old. I don't think we value experience enough
Ag_07
AG
Makes sense of why Graveman was publicly exstatic to be here.

And FWIW I'm not ready to start griping about Graveman. There's a new team/change of scenery grace period that I'm implementing before I start that. Yes he's been here before but I imagine he'll need a bit of time to acclimate and get settled in.
texasaggie2015
AG
Relievers are also extremely volatile over the course of a season. They go through multiple ups and downs. That's why the consistent ones are so valuable. It wouldn't surprise me to see Maton figure things out. We've seen Montero improve greatly. We've seen good Pressley and bad Pressley. It happens.
Deluxe
AG
When the playoffs roll around, I'm 100% sure Maldy will be catching all of JV's starts and 98% sure he'll be starting all of Framber's. If Diaz is going to catch Framber in October, that battery mateship needs to start now. I highly doubt it will. That's 4/7 starts in a playoff series.

That leaves 3/7 potential starts for Diaz behind the plate, which I suspect he and Maldy will split. But this could also depend on how a series is trending. If the bats are ice cold and we're desperate for offense, Diaz could get an additional start or two.

IMO Diaz's playing time in October kinda depends on how Meyers plays over the next few months. I think Dusty wants to default to the Meyers CF, Chas LF, Yordan DH and Maldy C lineup when it matters (mostly because he doesn't like Chas in CF for some reason).

If Meyers plays well from here to the finish, I think we see that lineup alot in October. But if Meyers is meh and there's a material drop off from Diaz to Meyers offensively, I think we see more of the Chas CF, Yordan LF, Diaz DH and Maldy C lineup.
W
AG
Yanier ranks 11th on the Astros in at-bats

eleventh
Farmer1906
AG
The fact that Chas is 7th, Alvarez is 9th, Diaz is 11th, & Altuve is 12th is exactly why we're where we are on offense this season. The combo of injuries and Dusty.
Thinice
Confirming what we already know, Angel Hernandez sucks:

CFTXAG10
AG
1.09 , cheese and rice
W
AG
yes, and to be fair to Dusty...

arguably the single biggest problem on the team is Jose Abreu.

he's up to 454 plate appearances and 414 at-bats at a .641 OPS clip...OPS+ of 77

if he were providing the .800 OPS that he's being paid to provide...

the Astros lead the division by 3 games instead of trailing by 3 games
Beat40
JDUB08AG said:

I edited my post to specify playoff lineups. I know he has done it a lot this year, but come playoff time, the "risk" of losing both catchers would be a lot for toothpick to stomach.
We'll see, but I personally think he'll do it, especially against RHP.
Chrundle the Great
AG
I understand the risk of losing the DH is there if Maldy gets hurt, but realistically what are the consequences? 1 or 2 pitcher ABs? Every time the DH goes through the lineup that reduces the risk, but let's say Maldy gets hurt in the 1st and we've maximized pitcher hitting now.

1) this will only affect this specific game, because Diaz will start behind the dish next game of the playoff. Choosing to not bat Diaz affects every game Maldanado is healthy.

2) Dusty was an NL coach for a while and I know he's seemingly forgot how switching works from the handful of times he's had to, but this should only affect the pitcher ABs in the first 6 or so innings while the starter is still going. PH Meyers/Julks/Dubon/kess/singleton(?) or whoever after the starter is done. If Maldy makes it the first 6 innings there's a chance this is actually a lineup net positive.

That said I agree with a few of the posters who said this should come down to Jake's play. If Jake stays as hot or hotter than Diaz then there's no reason to risk it. But if there's a drop off from Jake-Diaz then I think it's worth the risk for a max of 1-2 pitcher ABs.
Chef Elko
AG
His fielding can't get much worse either
bearkatag15
AG

Lets only use Maton for clean innings going forward.
Beat40
W said:

he's up to 454 plate appearances and 414 at-bats at a .641 OPS clip...OPS+ of 77

No, Jose Abreu is not the sole reason the Astros are not currently leading the division. I know you don't like Abreu, but do not put it entirely on him.

Both Tucker and Bregman started slow in April too. Diaz got no ABs in April/May. Chas didn't even start opening day and had to benefit from Meyers and Altuve being injured to get consistent playing time.

Abreu didn't help, but there are way more reasons than just Abreu this team isn't leading the divison.
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Wabs
AG
W said:

To be fair to Dusty, I'd say his lineups alone have probably cost us at least 5 games this season. To be realistic with Dusty, I'd say more like 8-10 games.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906
AG
Farmer1906
AG
Flashback

redline248
AG
W said:

Even in his last 31 games, where he has been a bit improved, it's still .672 OPS and 88 wRC+

Absolute bust in year 1. Maybe he'll go nuclear in the playoffs.
texasaggie2015
AG
If anyone plays Immaculate Grid, I'm curious what your answers were for the Astros names. If someone can tell me how to do the spoiler tag, I'll share mine.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
redline248
AG
spoiler tag is [ sp ] and [ /sp ]

remove all the spaces
Prosperdick
AG
W said:

Yanier ranks 11th on the Astros in at-bats

eleventh
Want to be really pissed:
Julks - 286 at-bats
Diaz - 232 at-bats
texasaggie2015
AG
Orlando Palmeiro, Wade Miller, Luke Gregerson
Mathguy64
AG
So now we know why JV waived his no trade. He just wanted to go to the WH.
Ag_07
AG
Cameron Maybin, Maldonado, Jake Meyers
Silent For Too Long
Wabs said:

W said:

To be fair to Dusty, I'd say his lineups alone have probably cost us at least 5 games this season. To be realistic with Dusty, I'd say more like 8-10 games.

I'm sorry, I'm really trying to avoid getting into Dusty discussions, but this really isn't even remotely true.

People with a lot more time on my hands have done statistical analysis of lineups and their impacts on wins and losses and over the course of a season you are talking maybe a 10 game swing. And that would be assuming he literally got it wrong every single time.

The Dusty hate is so insane it makes this thread hard to read sometimes. He's going down in history as one of the greatest managers of all time. The lack of perspective is crazy to me. Is he stubborn and old fashioned? Yes. Does he tend to stick with veterans as long as he can? Yes. But most mlb managers operate in a very similar mindset.

And, for whatever reason, billionaires keep giving Dusty the key to the hundred+ million dollar cars.

Ok. End rant. I know it's likely useless to even try to defend him but his first ballot hall of fame induction will speak for itself. In fact, most of his haters will remember him much more fondly in the years to come. Especially if he locks down a 2nd title.
07ag
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

If anyone plays Immaculate Grid, I'm curious what your answers were for the Astros names. If someone can tell me how to do the spoiler tag, I'll share mine.
stassi, mitchwilliams, derek fisher
https://ts.la/eric59704
AggiEE
EastCoastAgNc said:

First Page Last Page
Page 1554 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.