***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,447,735 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I found "Smart Baseball" on my shelf earlier this evening. It's a Keith Law book about statistics from 2017. Someone must have given it to me at some point. I started reading it. Part one kind of destroys traditional stats. When talking about RBI it brought up Bonds 2001 season and his "low" rbi total for hitting so many home runs. Law credits Dusty Baker for this. He ran 2 guys out at lead off the large majority of the year who got one base well below league average. 22 years later and nothing has changed (see Dubon and Pena).
AggiEE
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

AggiEE said:

Ideally, the playoff lineup would look something like this.

Altuve (2B)
Bregman (3B)
Alvarez (LF)
Tucker (RF)
Diaz (C)
McCormick (CF)
Abreu (1B)
Singleton (DH)
Pena (SS)

This of course assumes Jon Singleton rakes when he is called up and adds more power to our lineup. If Singleton doesn't rake, just replace him with Meyers and swap out Alvarez to DH while shuffling McCormick to LF.

Obviously, Maldy is going to play so this lineup of death is for some reason not realistic with Dusty...so that's always going to be a lineup liability.

Dude isn't even on the team let's slow our roll on making him a playoff starter

He's only on there assuming he's better than Meyers or Julks, which isn't a high bar
jopatura
AG
The only way Diaz is playing in the postseason is for the team to carry a third catcher. Dana hasn't made that move yet, so it seems like it's not a priority. Salazar will probably make the expanded roster in September so I'm hoping Diaz will DH down the stretch. Hopefully that makes a difference.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
As much as dusty annoys us all we can all admit we have given him credit for his post season moves and decisions.

I really have a feeling Diaz is going to be one of those moves that wasn't don't in regular season but will be in playoffs.
AggiEE
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

As much as dusty annoys us all we can all admit we have given him credit for his post season moves and decisions.

I really have a feeling Diaz is going to be one of those moves that wasn't don't in regular season but will be in playoffs.

That's what I'm hoping for as well

But man is it frustrating watching Dusty manage when we don't have a commanding lead in the division.
BadAggie
AG
Astros don't have a lead in the division given Altuve and Alvarez missed however many games and 3/5ths of the starting rotation has been out for most if not all of the season. The latter has led to increased bullpen usage.

Now health and trades has improved the outlook for the remainder of the season.

Dusty's lineup tinkering hinders the offense at times but isn't the be and end all. Players need to perform and the impact of injuries has been the major issue this season to date.

Ag_07
AG
BadAggie said:

Dusty's lineup tinkering hinders the offense at times but isn't the be and end all. Players need to perform and the impact of injuries has been the major issue this season to date.

This

Dusty didn't give out 45 free passes yesterday.
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

BadAggie said:

This

Dusty didn't give out 45 free passes yesterday.
As the wise poet Ludacris once was "Welcome to Atlanta where the players play". And that is true in Houston as well. The players do indeed play.
Farmer1906
AG
Jake Meyers has a 1.9 fWAR in only 84 games / 282 PA. That is good for 17th in the league for CFers. Everyone ahead of him has more PAs. Jake leads the team in Fielding Run Value (21st in baseball). Almost everyone ahead of him has more innings of work. The exceptions are Harrison Badar and a handful of catchers (Hedges, Bailey, & Murphy).

Is Jake a budding star? No. Should Jake get PT over Chas? No. But he should probably be locked in ahead of Julks & Dubon. He should be the "CF closer" like Jake Marisnick was. Even with Jake's weak exit velo he's slightly ahead of Dubon & Julks in xwOBA. .297 vs .291 & .290.
Prosperdick
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Jake Meyers has a 1.9 fWAR in only 84 games / 282 PA. That is good for 17th in the league for CFers. Everyone ahead of him has more PAs. Jake leads the team in Fielding Run Value (21st in baseball). Almost everyone ahead of him has more innings of work. The exceptions are Harrison Badar and a handful of catchers (Hedges, Bailey, & Murphy).

Is Jake a budding star? No. Should Jake get PT over Chas? No. But he should probably be locked in ahead of Julks & Dubon. He should be the "CF closer" like Jake Marisnick was. Even with Jake's weak exit velo he's slightly ahead of Dubon & Julks in xwOBA. .297 vs .291 & .290.
He certainly helped that exit velo yesterday.
MaxPower
Long story short, we need to play our best players. The time has passed to get guys ABs. Put Julks in AAA the rest of the month if you want to get him ABs and bring up an emergency OF to ride the pine.
Johnsy3
AG

Still waiting on the scorecard
Wabs
AG
Dirty Mike and the Boys
AG
Need to take that clown to pasture.

Edit re: Angel Hernandez
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Prosperdick
AG
Johnsy3 said:

Still waiting on the scorecard
If I was a heavy gambler I wouldn't touch any game that he umpires.
JDUB08AG
AG
Has there ever been an umpire/referee more universally hated than Hernandez?
texasaggie2015
AG
I saw a lot of people ragging on Dusty for JP France not getting the start yesterday. Just want to clear things up and say that's not his decision. It's Dana Brown's call.

France is about to reach his career high for innings pitched and they want to make sure his tank doesn't empty. I can't blame them. He's not going to leave the rotation, but they may skip him every other start or move to a tandem start like they do in AAA.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
They should do the same with HB.

And sadly I think Javier needs to be treated the same
gougler08
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

It's honestly why I'd be ok w/ a 6 man rotation or do a 5 man where we skip one of France/Javier/Brown each time through
AgLA06
AG
txags92 said:

W said:

Angel is just cashing checks
From who?

The Joker.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
gougler08 said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

It's honestly why I'd be ok w/ a 6 man rotation or do a 5 man where we skip one of France/Javier/Brown each time through

Someone wise on here has mentioned that rotation on here for a while now
jkag89
Johnsy3 said:

texasaggie2015
AG
Oh, and I know the next question will be "Then why doesn't Dana tell Dusty how to set the lineup too?"

And I honestly don't know the answer to that.
Ag_07
AG
JDUB08AG said:

No

But there also hasn't ever been an umpire/referee that has been this utterly and consistently incompetent at his job.
AgLA06
AG
Ag_07 said:

JDUB08AG said:

No

But there also hasn't ever been an umpire/referee that has been this utterly and consistently incompetent at his job.

Who sues anyone he can as often as he blows calls.
texasaggie2015
AG
Ex-White Sox reliever Keynan Middleton rips club's 'no rules' culture - ESPN

I remember alluding to this when we were discussing trade candidates on the White Sox. I think a lot of those players will do very well once they get a change of scenery and culture. I haven't heard a single good thing about that organization, clubhouse and culture.

Fat Ketch knows things
rmp15
AG
Re: Dusty and Postseason moves

Hopefully theses are the only two lineups we see in the post season

Altuve Altuve
Bregman Bregman
Yordan Yordan
Tucker Tucker
Chas Chas
Diaz Diaz
Abreu Abreu
Pena Pena
Meyers Maldonado
JDUB08AG
AG
rmp15 said:

Altuve Altuve
Bregman Bregman
Yordan Yordan
Tucker Tucker
Chas Chas
Diaz Diaz
Abreu Abreu
Pena Pena
Meyers Maldonado
Call my cynical, but I don't see Dusty starting Diaz and Maldy in the same game without a third catcher when it comes to playoff lineups.
Beat40
texasaggie2015 said:

Oh, and I know the next question will be "Then why doesn't Dana tell Dusty how to set the lineup too?"

Because one is organizational and a personnel move. The other is a game decision.

In general, I don't want my GM making game decisions as those should be between manager and players. The manager should know the clubhouse and how they perform in situations. That's where your manager and GM should be on the same page and generally why a new GM brings in a new manager. Dana and Click both didn't get that luxury.
Prosperdick
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Although there was a lot of fiction in Moneyball I think it's universally accepted that the manager "owns" the lineup card. I'm sure Dana has given him a lot of input but ultimately it's his call.
jkag89
Ever seen Moneyball?
Beat40
JDUB08AG said:

rmp15 said:

Altuve Altuve
Bregman Bregman
Yordan Yordan
Tucker Tucker
Chas Chas
Diaz Diaz
Abreu Abreu
Pena Pena
Meyers Maldonado
Call my cynical, but I don't see Dusty starting Diaz and Maldy in the same game without a third catcher.

He's already done it a couple of times in season.

I do agree it's Lonestar that when playoff time comes around, Dusty roll out the best lineup. I bet we will see Diaz and Maldy in at the same time.

A lot of posters were worried in 2021 Yordan wouldn't play in Atlanta without the DH and he played every game.

A lot of people were worried in 2022 Dubon would play a ton, and he barley played at all.

Dusty wants to try people out in situations during the regular season to see how they respond so he knows who he can trust in the important games. However, it's different doing that when you have a 10 game lead versus being 2 games behind and in a dog fight for WC. I'd like to see the playoff lineup more starting with the Orioles.

This team is capable of beating the Orioles and anyone else with the right lineup.
Farmer1906
AG
Farmer1906
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 1553 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.