***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,459,415 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
cap-n-jack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We've got to get off this road trip staying within arms reach. The arlingtons are much improved no doubt but I just can't see them fading the heat of a late August and September race.
W
AG
this should make Dana pull his hair out...

Yordan led off the 2nd inning

Yordan led off the 4th inning

Yordan batted with the bases empty in the 6th inning

Yordan batted with the bases empty in the 8th inning
RED AG 98
AG
W said:

Lineup construction is just fan stuff
Prosperdick
AG
W said:

This is what I've been saying over and over...you're letting pitchers attack out lineup in easier chunks. We have to be relentless and earlier I made a lineup that still had Pena batting 2nd, that experiment should be over, like Julks still on the roster.

Here is the lineup of death:
Altuve
Bregman
Yordan
Tucker
Chas
Diaz
Abreu
Meyers
Pena

That lineup tonight scores at least 5 and yes, take out Diaz and put Maldy at 9 and tonight still scores at least 5 since Maldy actually went 3-3 until Donkey decided to pinch hit for him.
Frok
AG
W said:

Well he should do something about it then
W
AG
yes, the Astros play every game with one hand tied behind their back

because Dusty refuses to put the best 6 hitters...one thru six
Prosperdick
AG
Frok said:

W said:

Well he should do something about it then
He won't, which is why he's Donkey. It's ******* criminal and I'm tried of watching pitchers navigate this lineup so easily giving up hits when they know they can and walks when they know they can.

Pitchers shouldn't have any breathing room 1-6 facing our lineup but we give them plenty.
Boiling Denim
Severino coming up with a 7.5 ERA tomorrow

He's gotten pummeled multiple times in July. Should be a good litmus test

If we make him look like Noah "Cy Young" Syndegaard then some tough questions need to be asked
Prosperdick
AG
Boiling Denim said:

If we make him look like Noah "Cy Young" Syndegaard then some tough questions need to be asked
Lose/lose basically...if we hit him well like we should and score a decent amount of runs, Donkey will just check on that ******* toothpick and grin and say "see, I told you."

If we look like crap again Dusty will deflect and say something idiotic and like the Donkey he is, won't alter the lineup.
JDUB08AG
AG
Boiling Denim said:

I mean we are what we are at this point. Capable of unloading but also very capable of shutting down.
Mr President Elect
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Mr President Elect said:

Farmer1906 said:

Facts
I could be misremembering, but I thought they did a decent study on this and came to the conclusion that order doesn't make that much of a difference

It doesn't make a huge difference but it makes a difference. Even if it's as simple as better players getting more chances.
Well, I am pretty sure that is where the run difference comes from, but fans tend to make a little more out of the batting order than it actually warrants. I was trying to find the study, but couldn't. I did see a fansgraph article that stated 5-15 runs over the season of an optimal vs non-optimal (not worst possible) lineup, which equates to 1 to 2 wins. That's not nothing but isn't worth getting worked up over either imo. I get more upset about all the off days (and lack thereof for some) than the actual order.
txags11
AG
Altuve
Tucker
Yordan
Bregman
Chas
Abreu
Diaz
Peña
Julks/Myers

At this point I want to release Paredes or Madris, free up a spot on the 40 man, and bring up Singleton.

Ease him in, let him come up, be relaxed, no high leverage spots, and work up to it. He can only pummel AAA for so long.

He's got a huge shot at career redemption or we learn he's a AAAA player.

Prosperdick
AG
txags11 said:

Altuve
Tucker
Yordan
Bregman
Chas
Abreu
Diaz
Peña
Julks/Myers

At this point I want to release Paredes or Madris, free up a spot on the 40 man, and bring up Singleton.

Ease him in, let him come up, be relaxed, no high leverage spots, and work up to it. He can only pummel AAA for so long.

I understand wanting Tucker and Yordan to bat in the 1st but with Bregman's eye I think he is perfect in the 2 hole...and I don't think he's a good clean-up hitter. With Altuve, Bregman, and Yordan 1-3 there is a VERY high chance of Tucker batting. In other words, I don't think he'll be leading off many innings.
Wabs
AG
Yordan was our 3 hitter before his injury. What changed? Did we add a big bat from trade? No we didn't. WTF changed and why isn't he batting 3rd?
Mr President Elect
AG
Wabs said:

Yordan was our 3 hitter before his injury. What changed? Did we add a big bat from trade? No we didn't. WTF changed and why isn't he batting 3rd?
TK mentioned that it had to do with how well Tucker was hitting there currently and didn't want to move him from there, but probably would probably go back to Yordan at some point.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
cap-n-jack said:

We've got to get off this road trip staying within arms reach. The arlingtons are much improved no doubt but I just can't see them fading the heat of a late August and September race.

Given the fact we still have to play Baltimore 6 or 7 more tones, I'm more concerned with maintaining a wild card spot with other teams charging. For whatever reason they own us.
W
AG
the Mariners (57-52) hit a 9th inning grand slam to beat the Angels 5-3

LAAA (55-53) lost Ohtani's start in the series
Chrundle the Great
AG
Angels can't even make it a week acting like the decision to be buyers was a good one
Mathguy64
AG
And Seattle can't make it a week without making the decision they were sellers.
redline248
AG
Prosperdick said:

txags11 said:

Altuve
Tucker
Yordan
Bregman
Chas
Abreu
Diaz
Peña
Julks/Myers

I understand wanting Tucker and Yordan to bat in the 1st but with Bregman's eye I think he is perfect in the 2 hole...and I don't think he's a good clean-up hitter. With Altuve, Bregman, and Yordan 1-3 there is a VERY high chance of Tucker batting. In other words, I don't think he'll be leading off many innings.
For the season, Bregman has batted 4th in 38 games, included 16 of the last 21, (160 PA): .264, 9 HR, 20 BB, 132 wRC+.
He's batted 2nd in 63 games (285 PA): .261, 9 HR, 37 BB, 123 wRC+

He's good in both spots, so I agree the top 4 should be Altuve, Tucker, Yordan, Bregman. To be perfectly honest, though, I think it won't matter much which order you put those 4 guys, as long as they are 1-4.

I wonder how long Dusty will keep trying to force the square Pena into a round hole.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
No offense to anyone but had tucker ever or at least more than a handful of times batted in the 2 hole. That seems to be a favorite trope on this thread and I can't remember it ever happening.
Faustus
redline248 said:

Prosperdick said:

txags11 said:

Altuve
Tucker
Yordan
Bregman
Chas
Abreu
Diaz
Peña
Julks/Myers

For the season, Bregman has batted 4th in 38 games, included 16 of the last 21, (160 PA): .264, 9 HR, 20 BB, 132 wRC+.
He's batted 2nd in 63 games (285 PA): .261, 9 HR, 37 BB, 123 wRC+

He's good in both spots, so I agree the top 4 should be Altuve, Tucker, Yordan, Bregman. To be perfectly honest, though, I think it won't matter much which order you put those 4 guys, as long as they are 1-4.

I wonder how long Dusty will keep trying to force the square Pena into a round hole.

Considerably longer then he's been trying to make julks [/fetch] happen. Unlike julks we're married to Pena for the foreseeable future and need him to figure it out.
BadAggie
AG

tjack16
AG
I'm fully prepared for Severino to "figure it out" tonight against this offense

My goal for the weekend was a split, and that's still in reach. I just that they avoid Framber on Sunday so that Urquidy can come back.
txags11
AG
I totally think Tuck and Bregman are interchangeable. With how good bregman works counts he may be better in the 2 spot bc he'll get better pitches to hit with who is behind him. Peña just isn't getting it done there, right now.
Prosperdick
AG
txags11 said:

I totally think Tuck and Bregman are interchangeable. With how good bregman works counts he may be better in the 2 spot bc he'll get better pitches to hit with who is behind him. Peña just isn't getting it done there, right now.
Pena is Adam Everett right now, which isn't ideal but is still serviceable. However, he needs to bat at least 7th if not 8th for this stretch run. If memory server Adam almost always batted 7th (mostly since we had a pitcher hitting) but it just further demonstrates how preposterous it is to have Chas batting in that slot.

Dana and Crane need to sit Donkey down and make him provide (with supporting evidence) why he has Chas in the 7th hole and one of the best hitters in the league batting 5th.

Here's what I don't get...Yordan has been very vocal about playing LF and not being just a DH. Is he not as vocal about at least batting clean-up? He has to be frustrated coming up time and time again with the bases empty.
All I do is Nguyen
Just a reminder to everyone when we swept the Jankees last ALCS it wasn't a total dominating effort.

G1 4-2
G2 3-2
G3 5-0 (only exception)
G4 6-5

Also last reg season
Hou W 7-5
Hou W 3-2
NYY W 6-3
NYY W 7-6
Hou W 3-0
Hou W 3-1

They always play us tight whether it's reg season or playoffs, with a few exceptions. So let's just come out and play ball today and take a W
No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
Frok
AG
I wish we had a Jomboy to interview our manager.

TK, Blummer, Julia, and the radio crew are too nice.
houag78
AG
Totally agree on Yordan batting 3rd. Prior to his injury we were 10 games over .500, playing .580 ball. Yordan was on a pace for 140-150 RBI, which is insane. We managed to play .550 ball without him, which is a real testament to guys like Tuck and Chas stepping up.
Now, since he's been back, we're playing .500 ball.
What's different ? He's in the 5 hole. Wake up, Dusty!
Wabs
AG
I think not getting a bat at the trade deadline is going to end up hurting us. Pena is sitting first class on the struggle bus. Abreu has been there all season except a small hiatus in June(?). Myers, Julks, and Madris are useless off the bench and even more useless as starters. But pretty much every night Yordan is DH, one those guys have to be in the lineup because we have no other OF option. Appreciate him holding the line while Altuve was out, but Dubon has turned back into Dubon. For some reason we're refusing to bring up other guys and give them a shot.

Combine all of that with Dusty's daily, non-sensical lineups and we have problems scoring. I get teams were "asking alot", but we went "all in" with JV. Why not do that with another bat? We needed one.
GhostWipe15
AG
so dusty wants pena in the 2 hole so he has someone good behind him and sees better pitches...put him in the 9 hole. Altuve would be behind him, he still has a better chance of getting on the Maldy, and wont kill us by getting out in the 2 hole everytime.
Dies Irae
With the way our lineup is; we have to have McCormick and Diaz in the lineup every single day.
Wabs
AG
Call up Singleton and see if we can catch lightning in a bottle.

Altuve 2B
Bregman 3B
Yordan LF
Tucker RF
Chas CF
Diaz C
Abreu 1B
Singleton DH
Pena SS
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Frok said:

I wish we had a Jomboy to interview our manager.

TK, Blummer, Julia, and the radio crew are too nice.
They're employed by the team, they are contractually obligated to not grill him.
Beat40
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

No offense to anyone but had tucker ever or at least more than a handful of times batted in the 2 hole. That seems to be a favorite trope on this thread and I can't remember it ever happening.

The point is he should. Analytics has shown the 2nd spot has one of the most opportunities for both ABs and RBIs.

If Judge and Ohtani can do it and be extremely successful, why can't Tucker, or even Yordan?
First Page Last Page
Page 1484 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.