***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,523,823 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Bulldog73
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Can we anonymously report him to MLB for trying to start up the trash can bang again? Lifetime ban. Win win.
Mathguy64
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Mathguy64 said:

It won't be Thor. They put him on the IL back to July 27. Blisters.
Syndergaard is going tonight.

As for a Cy Young run, he would basically need to throw shutouts the rest of the way. He's damaged goods. If the Angels, Phillies, and especially the Dodgers can't fix you, then I think you're done.

He's literally listed on the IL. Cleveland put him there backdated to July 27.
Project Gemini
AG
The Cleveland website shows a transaction to the 15-day IL and that he is on it but also lists him as the starter tonight.
2ndChanceAg96
AG
Yeah, ESPN has something screwed up they have him as probable then I have him on the IR just below that. LOL.
redline248
AG
MLB.com lists the Indians putting him on the IL and assigning him to the minors, but has him listed as probable starter for tonight, too
Farmer1906
AG
Cleveland traded for him while he was on the IL so as soon as it was official he was moved to Cleveland's IL. He was rehabbing for LA (KC) in July. He's pitching tonight.
KAF
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Farmer1906 said:

You joke but I think we need to hold Maldy so he's not going to a competitor to give away some secrets. Maybe Crane can give him a retirement package and hire him as bench coach as soon as the season ends.
This is a big reason why Maldy is not getting DFA'd.

Which part 2015? Giving away secrets or keeping him around in a coaching capacity? I like the idea of Maldy in the coaching room.
texasaggie2015
AG
Forgot to take the second sentence out. The first part is a reason why.

And trust me, my guess is as good as everyone else's, but the vast majority of pitchers on the staff are very vocal about wanting him to start when they pitch.
Mathguy64
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

And trust me, my guess is as good as everyone else's, but the vast majority of pitchers on the staff are very vocal about wanting him to start when they pitch.

Then the vast majority of pitchers like losing more. It's clear they do worse with him behind the plate.
wangus12
AG
I feel like posting this on baseball reddit just to start a whole new "They're obviously cheating!" ****storm
texasaggie2015
AG
Yeah, like I said, my guess is as good as everyone else's.
Ag_07
AG
Like I said earlier...It's just people skills that Maldy is good at.

He is so good at communicating he makes you think you're better off with him. Before you know it you're asking him to catch you.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Ag_07 said:

Like I said earlier...It's just people skills that Maldy is good at.

He is so good at communicating he makes you think you're better off with him. Before you know it you're asking him to catch you.

He should start a cult when he retires
linkdude
AG
The Porkchop Express
AG
3B Paul 97 said:

Let's get down to .5 game back tonight.

Will Thor continue his struggles or will this game be the springboard to a 2024 Cy Young run?

Can we keep Ramirez and Naylor quiet in the series? They seem to carry the offense.

Every game left will be critical in the playoff chase.
And Kwan. I only know because of fantasy baseball, but he put up a .904 OPS in July.
tjack16
AG
linkdude said:

So we should bat him 5th so that he gets less at bats and less chances to get on multiple times?
Ag_07
AG
Incredible.

Our 6u softball coaches know to bat your best players near the top so they get more ABs.
MaxPower
tjack16 said:

linkdude said:

So we should bat him 5th so that he gets less at bats and less chances to get on multiple times?
Take your logic and shove it - Dusty prolly
texasaggie2015
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

f00k...we could have used him.
Prosperdick
AG
tjack16 said:

linkdude said:

Not only that but how many pitchers out there are decent to pretty good but their weakness is they start slow so you want to try to jump on them early. That has to describe at least 1/3 of decent pitchers so WTF would you want your best hitter to possible not have a chance at that ambush?

Yes, if they hit him early the 5th guy comes up but how many times do we have a couple of line outs and a walk and a Breggy pop-up to end the 1st with Yordan leading off the 2nd. It's so disheartening.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Manzardo is ranked 31 overall on fangraphs, in the baseball prospectus top 50, and 37 on MLB.

He's having a downish year in 2023 at age 23 in AAA, but he absolutely mashed in '21 and '22.

Would anyone do Gilbert for Aaron Civale? He's in year 5 and has topped 100 IP once in 2021.

SpaceCityAg05
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

The more time passes, the more I am convinced that it is a comfort thing not manifesting in reality anymore.

I think Maldy continues to contribute MAJOR value in game preparation in the pitchers/catchers room, which carries its value over even into Diaz starts.

Therefore, that value is happening whether he plays or not - it is neutral as to which player is on the field. In every on the field attribute, Diaz is now the better player.

This is why I concur that finding a way for Maldonado to retire and move onto the coaching staff in the offseason would be the best possible outcome.

While I feel the same about Brantley, I get the sense that he may not be ready to hang them up yet, as his decline is injury related, not ability related.
GhostWipe15
AG
So just a fun thought here... we are looking for a cheap lefty bat.

Why not go get Tyler Naquin from the Brewers Triple-A team for cash. He would be a cheap lefty who has a career hitting in the mid .200s at the MLB level. Can play all the outfield positions, and is hitting .286 in triple A.

Doesn't seem like a terrible option for a lefty plug and play.
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Mr.Bond
AG
GhostWipe15 said:

Why not go get Tyler Naquin from the Brewers Triple-A team for cash. He would be a cheap lefty who has a career hitting in the mid .200s at the MLB level. Can play all the outfield positions, and is hitting .286 in triple A.

We have a lefty bat in AAA DESTROYING the ball
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

Mr.Bond
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Chas
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

chico
AG
GhostWipe15 said:

You're describing Jon Singleton
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906 said:

meh...4.92 ERA
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Mr.Bond said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Chas
dustybrain.png
AustinCountyAg
The most feared hitter in baseball batting 5th and the hottest hitter the Astros have had all month not playing. Genius

**** you Dusty
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Farmer1906 said:

meh...4.92 ERA
Throws hard. High spin. Can't control it. Not bad to take on as a project.
Big Al 1992
AG
Free Chas!!!
First Page Last Page
Page 1365 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.