***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,524,024 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Big Al 1992
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Today would be an excellent time to pick up a half game on Arlington after the moves they made, and see the pucker factor with only a half game lead. A lot of pressure on the Calvary they believe is coming.
Beat40
Big Al 1992 said:

Today would be an excellent time to pick up a half game on Arlington after the moves they made, and see the pucker factor with only a half game lead. A lot of pressure on the Calvary they believe is coming.
I just want Framber to figure out what's going on and get back in a groove. I think the 'Stros can deal with everything else if Framber gets back into rhythm and the rest of the guys perform as they have.

Bielak is turning back into a pumpkin like we thought he would, so Urquidy is coming back at the right time.
tjack16
AG
I do feel for Dana Brown. He inherited a farm system that has little to offer.

Also, each week it seems like the biggest need for this team changes because of how inconsistently we are playing. One week the offense looks like they fixed it, the next week they look terrible. One week the starting pitching looks great, and the next week they can't get anybody out. I bet it's frustrating

That being said, I think you can never have too much pitching. I would just go after a starter and another reliever.
gougler08
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

Per their thread, Heim is out a month if not the whole season so that's a blow and who knows on Eovaldi
Farmer1906
AG
gougler08 said:

Big Al 1992 said:

Per their thread, Heim is out a month if not the whole season so that's a blow and who knows on Eovaldi
Heim is a huge blow to their pitching. He is one of the top framers in baseball.

Quote:

The official prognosis for Heim is a left wrist tendon strain, but the 28-year-old admitted that surgery was discussed and could be an option down the line. If he can handle any potential pain after a couple weeks of rest, said surgery will be performed in the offseason. If the pain continues to be unbearable, it will be sooner rather than later.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Ag_07
AG
Again I have no problem staying pat given the status of the market and prices being insane.

Be aggressive but not stupid.
ShotOver
AG
Off topic question: Did Trey Mancini ever get his WS Ring? Never saw any video of it...thx.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
ShotOver said:

Off topic question: Did Trey Mancini ever get his WS Ring? Never saw any video of it...thx.

Yeah he got it when the cubs were in town earlier this year

Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

Again I have no problem staying pat given the status of the market and prices being insane.

Be aggressive but not stupid.
I think a lot of teams are in the same boat. Outside of the White Sox and kind of the Mets & Cards, the sellers aren't selling much.

Look who is still on the market

Tommy Pham
Mark Canha
Adam Duvall
Michael Lorenzen
Eduardo Rodriguez
Justin Verlander
Jose Quintana
Aaron Civale
Rich Hill
Alex Verdugo
Dylan Carlson
Jeimer Candlario
Jack Flaherty
Scott Barlow
Paul DeJong
Paul Sewald
Blake Snell
Josh Hader
Teoscar Hernandez
Keynam Middleton
Brent Suter
Brad Hand
Brooks Raley
Tim Anderson
Paul Blackburn
Jose Cisnero
Chasen Shreve
Carlos Hernandez
Alex Lange
Aaron Bummer
Carlos Carrasco
Adam Ottavino
Lane Thomas
Jonathan India
David Bednar
Mitch Keller
Seth Brown
Ji Man Choi
Jake Meyers
tjack16
AG
I still look at a name like Jack Flaherty and think there's no way he's too expensive as a rental.
Ag_07
AG
Damn

And maybe that changes in the next 24 hours and asking prices go down when sellers realize teams aren't paying top asking prices and it's time to shlt or get off the pot.
texasaggie2015
AG
This is why I've been saying I don't expect any moves until much closer to the deadline. Any move made now or in the last couple weeks would be a massive overpay.
ShotOver
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

ShotOver said:

Yeah he got it when the cubs were in town earlier this year

Cool! Thank You!
FrioAg 00
AG
It's a dynamic process - where it also matter what your competition is doing.

Honestly I think we are looking at Rangers, O's and Rays thinking we can beat them with what we already have back and healthy.
LincolnBorglum79
AG
The Rangers biggest fear is falling behind the Astros and having to battle Toronto, Boston, LAA and maybe Seattle for a wild card. Assuming Tampa or Balt has the top WC locked up, the rangers will be battling for a 3 game road series at Tampa or the AL central champ. They will regret these trades if that happens. Back to doormat next season.
BadAggie
AG
At least for the rentals we'll see how long prices remain high. Gotta sell at some point by tomorrow
Farmer1906
AG
The only guys you don't are the top tier guys you can let walk for a QO/draft pick. Snell & Hader types.
Wabs
AG
Farmer1906 said:

The only guys you don't are the top tier guys you can let walk for a QO/draft pick. Snell & Hader types.
Saw something on MLB Network yesterday saying SD is now in buying mode.....we'll see.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Farmer1906 said:

gougler08 said:

Big Al 1992 said:

Heim is a huge blow to their pitching. He is one of the top framers in baseball.

Quote:

The official prognosis for Heim is a left wrist tendon strain, but the 28-year-old admitted that surgery was discussed and could be an option down the line. If he can handle any potential pain after a couple weeks of rest, said surgery will be performed in the offseason. If the pain continues to be unbearable, it will be sooner rather than later.

So you're saying the Rangers are in desperate need of an experienced catcher who pitchers love? Hmmmm.

Farmer1906
AG
You joke but I think we need to hold Maldy so he's not going to a competitor to give away some secrets. Maybe Crane can give him a retirement package and hire him as bench coach as soon as the season ends.
linkdude
AG
Maldy would definitely play the vengeful ex in that situation lol
W
AG
Wabs said:

We face Thor tonight. Didn't even realize he was with Cleveland...
Norway vs. France

at MMP tonight
Beat40
Thought this was fun from Twitter yesterday...

Beau Holder
AG
Farmer1906 said:

You joke but I think we need to hold Maldy so he's not going to a competitor to give away some secrets. Maybe Crane can give him a retirement package and hire him as bench coach as soon as the season ends.

Espada manager with Maldy bench coach, solve two, maybe three problems at once. I love it.
3B Paul 97
AG
Let's get down to .5 game back tonight.

Will Thor continue his struggles or will this game be the springboard to a 2024 Cy Young run?

Can we keep Ramirez and Naylor quiet in the series? They seem to carry the offense.

Every game left will be critical in the playoff chase.
aggie813
Uncle Mike hitting coach?
BadAggie
AG
Does Brown know the secret magical place where the Braves found all those lefty long relievers?
Mathguy64
AG
It won't be Thor. They put him on the IL back to July 27. Blisters.
BadAggie
AG
aggie813 said:

Uncle Mike hitting coach?

Uncle Mike returning would be such a boost but I am assuming it'll be announced on Wednesday he's done for the season.
3B Paul 97
AG
That sucks. We don't seem to do as well facing the "bullpen game" of another team. Of course, I have no math to back that.
Farmer1906
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Syndergaard is going tonight.

As for a Cy Young run, he would basically need to throw shutouts the rest of the way. He's damaged goods. If the Angels, Phillies, and especially the Dodgers can't fix you, then I think you're done.

EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Mathguy64 said:

As for a Cy Young run, he would basically need to throw shutouts the rest of the way. He's damaged goods. If the Angels, Phillies, and especially the Dodgers can't fix you, then I think you're done.

We have a way of making guys like this look incredible, playing the ultimate slumpbuster. Here's hoping we buck that trend tonight
texasaggie2015
AG
Farmer1906 said:

This is a big reason why Maldy is not getting DFA'd.
3B Paul 97
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Farmer1906 said:

Mathguy64 said:

We have a way of making guys like this look incredible, playing the ultimate slumpbuster. Here's hoping we buck that trend tonight

At least our ace is on the mound.
First Page Last Page
Page 1364 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.