***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,525,533 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
JDUB08AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

As much as I love this team this is the least confident I've been in them winning in a long time. Even with JV I don't think it pushes us past TX, or the O's. Our offense is avg at best and our starting pitching gives me no confidence when it's nut cutting time.

I'd love to be proved wrong, but I just don't see it or believe it right now.

I think JV would propel us to another division win. I just can't decide if it's worth it long term.
AggiEE
BadAggie said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Goodness

Surely Singleton will be called up?

There's your left handed power bat
W
AG
this is a strange year in the American League

and could be the first year in a decade in which there is a surprise world series team

e.g. one of the wildcards makes a deep run like the Phillies did last year
BadAggie
AG
JDUB08AG said:

AustinCountyAg said:

As much as I love this team this is the least confident I've been in them winning in a long time. Even with JV I don't think it pushes us past TX, or the O's. Our offense is avg at best and our starting pitching gives me no confidence when it's nut cutting time.

I'd love to be proved wrong, but I just don't see it or believe it right now.

I think JV would propel us to another division win. I just can't decide if it's worth it long term.

I mean the Astros have Yordan locked in through 2029 at half his market price which helps the long term view considerably.

But yes it's clear that the 2025 year option for JV would create a problem. Altuve and Bregman hit free agency after 2024 and 2025 is Tucker's final year of arbitration.
BadAggie
AG
AggiEE said:

BadAggie said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Goodness

There's your left handed power bat

Looking at the trade market, might as well.
BadAggie
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Chicago said Cease is off the market but the Astros haven't stopped talking with them about him

Realistically could Astros put together a package that has the value he would command? Is it off to think it would take 2 of the top 3 prospects?
BadAggie
AG
Astro offense has similar ranks as Baltimore's with Altuve being out for an extended time and Yordan missing a month and a half.

Astros are 3rd in team ERA, Baltimore is 15th. Astros are 5th in strikeouts, Baltimore 11th, and Astros are 4th in quality starts and Baltimore 10th.

Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Bad do you ever post an entire thought in a single post? It seems like every post is done in 2-3 parts
bearkatag15
AG

He's been mentioned before on here
Farmer1906
AG
WRC+ vs RHP the last 4 seasons 130 (2020), 136, 109, 120.

Yes, please.
redline248
AG
BadAggie said:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/list/worst-hitters-21st-century-omar-infante-brad-ausmus-juan-uribe-neifi-perez-alcides-escobar-billy-hamilton/dcsdtr2iv6zx1mk8bvb4jeogn

Maldy '23: 50 OPS+, .172 avg, 36.1% K, -0.6 bWAR (I' m not 100% sure I have the same WAR as what the article is using)
Big Al 1992
AG
What do you mean there's no new trade deadline updates at 4:45 am ?!?!
Wabs
AG
Less than 2 full days to be "aggressive".
tjack16
AG
Wabs said:

"We're going to get greedy about winning" was the quote I remember from the off-season
Taxman90
AG
Farmer1906 said:

WRC+ vs RHP the last 4 seasons 130 (2020), 136, 109, 120.

Yes, please.

He's slumped in July and been moved down in the lineup. Maybe we can buy a tad low. I really like him.
Marvin
AG
tjack16 said:

Wabs said:

"We're going to get greedy about winning" was the quote I remember from the off-season

All that "talk" might just have been talk. I'm sure the Astros did inquire about everyone, but were they just hoping for a bargain? It's about all they can swing without taking on a salary dump.

And I don't consider a bench bat and a 6th inning reliever traded at the 11th hour to be aggressive. It may help, but it's not being greedy at all.

Hopefully there's still a rabbit to pull…
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
AgSportsFan89
AG
Haven't seen this already posted in this thread but it looks like the Rangers acquired Montgomery from the Cardinals. And then the Blue Jay's got Hicks from them.

So two guys we were looking at now bolstering the competition in the AL.
Farmer1906
AG
Ben Verlander made it sound like the Astros were fairly unlikely based on the Dana Brown's comments and the cost it will take to get JV (prospects & money). Overall, he's leaning towards his brother not getting moved.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
https://www.mlb.com/news/one-trade-chip-for-each-team-2023-trade-deadline?partnerID=mlbapp-iOS_article-share
Quote:

Twins: Trevor Larnach, OF
Under club control through: 2027
The Twins are overloaded with left-handed corner-outfield types including Joey Gallo, Max Kepler, Alex Kirilloff, Matt Wallner and Larnach, so using that depth to acquire a right-handed bat or bullpen piece would seem to be in order. Larnach has shown he can hit big league pitching during his stints in Minnesota, and with club control through at least 2027, he should draw interest.
This might be a good LH bat fit if we want to trade one of the outfielders (Julks / Meyers). One of those need for need trades.
Edit: maybe not, looked up his stats, they aren't that impressive.
texasaggie2015
AG
Monday morning updates (or kinda lack thereof):

- Feeling less confident about JV. Houston wanted him back but I think the option in his contract is the dealbreaker. It's hard to blame them for that. Either way, I expect it to come down to the last minute, but like Farmer said above I expect him to stay in New York.

- The White Sox said Cease and Robert are off the market but Rosenthal reported last night that they're still listening to offers on both. I was able to confirm that Houston has remained in contact with them on Cease. I would imagine the likelihood of this happening is very low.

- The cost of SP this deadline is very high and it may have caused Houston to pivot to bullpen arms. They're still trying on guys like Eduardo Rodriguez, Michael Lorenzen, etc but I know the asking price has been higher than Houston wants to pay for a rental. That being said, as we get closer to the deadline, asking prices may go down and we could very well acquire a SP.

- They would still like one more bat but I haven't heard any names.

- They still have an offer on the table for Scott Barlow and Carlos Hernandez (an offer for each player, not both) but I expect this to come down to the wire as well. The Astros aren't the only interested team.

- They've at the very least inquired about every name you can imagine who may be available. There's been no lack of effort. They've been more active on the phones than pretty much every team in the league, it's just hard with the current state of the farm system. They're still willing to deal some of the guys we've discussed on the big league roster but it's been hard finding a trade partner.

- As of right now, I expect at minimum one more move and probably no more than two.

I know this is another one of those updates where there's nothing definitive, but that's kinda how things are this time of year. Things change so fast. Should be an interesting day across the league.

f1ghtintexasaggie
BadAggie said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Goodness

Would it even matter? Our dumbass manager won't play him in favor of veteran presence. He routinely sits the hot hand(s). I am simply astounded that last year's team was so strong to overcome his piss poor management.

/insertbigbraindusty

Fire Dusty. Promote Espada.
Mr.Bond
AG
I appreciate all the insight and I think we all realize Dana and his staff are working diligently that being said if we all recognize this team as it stands from a starting pitching standpoint has little to no shot at a World Series then surely the front office sees that as well. So then what do you do overpay for a World Series run or just essentially admit the fact that you don't have the starting pitching to get it done in the postseason
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

texasaggie2015
AG
And that's why I'm glad I'm not calling the shots. It's tough. Do you overpay for rentals in hopes that you win a championship this year but possibly sacrifice the future? Or do you upgrade where you can and hope to get hot down the stretch and contend- and then make moves where needed over the offseason?

I've always been a believer in that if you have a chance to win now you do whatever it takes to get it done. But I'm not sure if there's enough assets available to make moves that fill every hole on this roster.

That being said, I do think stacking bullpen depth could help tremendously. The best thing that can happen for Houston is Framber and Javier returning to form.
Farmer1906
AG
Mr.Bond said:

I appreciate all the insight and I think we all realize Dana and his staff are working diligently that being said if we all recognize this team as it stands from a starting pitching standpoint has little to no shot at a World Series then surely the front office sees that as well. So then what do you do overpay for a World Series run or just essentially admit the fact that you don't have the starting pitching to get it done in the postseason
I would 100% overpay for a WS run. However, overpaying for an ERod or Lorenzen doesn't move the needle nearly enough to feel like we go from an unlikely WS run to a likely WS run.

I don't think it's really an either-or decision. Right now we have a 16.7% to win the CS per FanGraphs. How high do you think that # goes if we add an SP? 18%? 20%? 30%? Is a reasonably high-level prospect worth moving up 2%? I would say no. 10%? Maybe.
Ciboag96
We don't need no stinking trades.

We just need Maldonado sent to the Savannah Bananas for 2 season tickets, monogramed jorts and a banana hat..
GhostWipe15
AG
You overpay when you need to add one piece, maybe two to give your self a really good shot at the WS. Right now, we are so inconsistent in all three phases to know what it is you really need to give yourself a real shot. I do not think one move, even if it was a splahs move, would get us there this year. SP has been to up and down from our big guns, RP has been to up and down from top to bottom, hitting has been to streaky.

I just think this isnt the year to spend heavy. It doesnt move us far enough in the right direction.
texasaggie2015
AG
That doesn't solve many of Houston's problems. I cannot stand having Maldy in the lineup every day, but I feel like he's sort of been the scapegoat in that he's far from the biggest problem on this team.

And don't get me wrong. I'm not defending him. I just think the problems start with the rotation and an overworked bullpen.
f1ghtintexasaggie
Mr.Bond said:

If we stand pat, this is essentially an admission that Crane is full of **** about wanting/planning to sustain the winning culture. His actions since this off-season have proven otherwise:

(1) chased off Click in favor of Dusty
(2) let people with no business making personnel decisions make two critical deals that will hamper our payroll flexibility moving forward, not to mention their horrid on-field performance
(3) made no move to bolster starting rotation after letting V walk
(4) claims to be willing to pay to keep the window open (which, with our depleted farm, ought to be our primary asset to offer if the owner is willing to spend), but fails to make meaningful and necessary additions at the deadline
CFTXAG10
AG
If Urquidy can come back and eat up a bunch of innings that might be the best "deadline acquisition" any team adds
Ag_07
AG
I think we do have the starting pitching to get it done in the postseason IF they perform to their norms.

A 1-3 of Framber, Javier, and Brown with France right behind in the 4 slot is pretty legit.

Now the big if is can Framber and Javier get their shlt together. While I would certainly feel a lot more comfortable adding an arm even if we don't it doesn't mean we're completely f-ed.
redline248
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

If Urquidy can come back and eat up a bunch of innings that might be the best "deadline acquisition" any team adds
He can't just come back and eat up innings, though. He has to come back and be good.

I guess those two things go hand in hand, though. Cuz if he's not good he won't eat many innings. I wonder if Bielak would stay on the roster to bolster the pen?
JDUB08AG
AG
Was hoping (still am) that they can figure a way to restructure JVs agreement.
texasaggie2015
AG
f1ghtintexasaggie said:

Mr.Bond said:

If we stand pat, this is essentially an admission that Crane is full of **** about wanting/planning to sustain the winning culture. His actions since this off-season have proven otherwise:

(1) chased off Click in favor of Dusty
(2) let people with no business making personnel decisions make two critical deals that will hamper our payroll flexibility moving forward, not to mention their horrid on-field performance
(3) made no move to bolster starting rotation after letting V walk
(4) claims to be willing to pay to keep the window open (which, with our depleted farm, ought to be our primary asset to offer if the owner is willing to spend), but fails to make meaningful and necessary additions at the deadline
I'm not knocking you because I know most aren't aware of the details, I'm just using this as an opportunity to clear some things up for everyone:

- Crane didn't really chase off Click in favor of Dusty. Click and Crane did not get along. At all. Click was good at his job but there was a major personality clash and it would have never worked out.

- Crane 100% wants to be aggressive and keep the winning culture. I expect him to do that. It's just a weird spot to be in. The Astros have been so fortunate the last 7 years or so- this is the first time we've really had a season where we had so much bad luck. Worst case is this year is a step back and then we're right back into contending this year. It's frustrating but it happens.

- The whole thing I see on Twitter about "Bagwell ruining the season" is just false. Bagwell never had the final say in any decisions. He would advise Crane on certain things, but at the end of the day, any move was Crane's decision. Crane was the one who wanted Montero re-signed and that was going to happen regardless. Bagwell pushed for Abreu- and that hasn't worked out but nobody expected this big of a decline.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Prosperdick
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

That doesn't solve many of Houston's problems. I cannot stand having Maldy in the lineup every day, but I feel like he's sort of been the scapegoat in that he's far from the biggest problem on this team.

And don't get me wrong. I'm not defending him. I just think the problems start with the rotation and an overworked bullpen.
The rotation obviously has been an issue and of course that naturally comes with an overworked bullpen but overall our pitching numbers aren't that bad.

Our biggest problem is the donkey filling out the lineup card who refuses to bat our two lefties back-to-back, despite having better numbers against lefties, which means the best left-handed hitter in the league usually bats in the 2nd inning.

He also refuses to play the best hitting catcher our organization has ever seen because of super advanced metrics like "he doesn't hit lefties well" even when we're not facing any.

If we could have a CONSISTENT lineup like this:
Altuve
Bregman
Yordan
Tucker
Chas
Diaz
Abreu
Pena
Meyers/Julks/Singleton

We could go a major run but Donkey won't do that because...reasons.
First Page Last Page
Page 1361 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.