***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,525,498 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
BCEDAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CoachAg19 said:

Mr.Bond said:

BadAggie said:

Crane made the decision to not pay JV last off-season. Not saying I disagreed but the buck stops there. Crane has a limit financially and with the pending free agents over the next few offseasons JV's contract would hamstring things.

Losing 3 starters to injury was not part of the plan.

It's tough to repeat in this league as a lot is contingent on staying healthy.

Hes not paying tucker..... who are we gonna spend on out of curiosity?

Not paying Tucker would be a gigantic mistake IMO. Altuve and Bregs aren't going anywhere, but the future of the franchise is Yordan, Tuck, Pena, and Framber. You HAVE to lock up Tuck long term.
Add Yainer Diaz to that list.
rosco511
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Hahahahhahahahhahahahaa

Dusty is serious

So basically Dusty is trying to convince people there is no difference in a player with a .800 OPS and one with a .550 OPS. Incredible that the Astros franchise, the innovative and smartest guys in the room, has completely changed direction. This is all on Crane.
AggiEE
We have a manager that does not use facts or logic in his decisions

In fact, he's oblivious to them.
Farmer1906
AG
jah003
S
Nice. Got our ace going Monday and some fat scrub on Tuesday.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I'm not sure it's enough but what about something similar

Mets:
JV+$10 mil this year +$20mil next year and $15mil towards potential 2025 vesting (is it possible to make a contingent money deal, like if his option vests we add the extra $15mil)

Astros:
Julks
Bielak
McCullers
Montero
Leon

They get the players either way
BadAggie
AG
Need to get back to the data driven approach more.

Still without a couple legendary HRs by Yordan last postseason the Astros could've come up short.

Dusty is sticking to all these old school baseball management methods while the team is set up for the 21st century.

Nobody in the organization can be blind to this.

Mathguy64
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Dusty isn't mentally sound of he compares these two and doesn't see a significant difference.

It's literally a 2 game difference in WAR

I remember the time when we were the smartest organization in baseball. Every part of it. GM, front office and nerds and managerial staff all on the same page and all the best there was. We were the gold standard

Not anymore. Not even close.
TRM
AG
BadAggie said:

Need to get back to the data driven approach more.

Still without a couple legendary HRs by Yordan last postseason the Astros could've come up short.

Dusty is sticking to all these old school baseball management methods while the team is set up for the 21st century.

Nobody in the organization can be blind to this.

rosco511
AG
Problem is Crane chose Dusty over the data and analytics and publicly said wanted to rely less on it, which is crazy considering that approach got us to 6 straight LCS appearances and 4 World Series.
Mr.Bond
AG
Negative WAR to a clear positive WAR it's that simple
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

EastCoastAgNc
AG

Great yet another team to try and outbid
txag614
Farmer1906 said:

Hahahahhahahahhahahahaa

Dusty is serious

Holy hell this dude is as dumb as a box of rocks.

This is on Crane at this point. Completely gone away from what made this organization successful.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
This thread needs some positivity

https://instagr.am/p/CvP-g8Gr-3I

https://instagr.am/p/CvU-LUQLTBZ

https://instagr.am/p/CvQD2_Bu3Ol

And finally, Emily isn't impressed with today. https://instagr.am/p/CvIMp3egycp
Ag_07
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Do some of y'all just look for something to be pissed about?

First off the tweet literally says they aren't involved in negotiations.

Besides did you really think we'd be only ones trying to make a deal for JV? You just expect everyone else to back off because we're involved?
Prosperdick
AG
So I guess if all the starting pitchers (except Hunter of course) all said they'd prefer to pitch to Maldy despite his weak bat and pass balls because he's a pitcher whisperer (of course the numbers this year don't back it up...at all) I could almost see why Dusty keeps doing it. He's trying to keep his starting pitchers happy.

However, it doesn't explain why when Maldy comes up AFTER the starting pitcher has been knocked out he doesn't simply pinch hit Diaz for him. We have a 3rd catcher in case of emergency...why are you letting Maldy cost you precious outs in the later innings?

I can see the Wade Phillips comparison from football but I've got one for basketball...Guy V Lewis. Guy would just roll out the basketball and take a nap. Drexler picks up his 3rd foul in the first half...gotta yank him Guy, you got pull him!! What the f*** are you doing...oh my god there's his 4th foul. We're screwed.

It's not the best comparison because Guy wouldn't routinely start Reid Gettys over Drexler but I think it's pretty close.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Ag_07 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Do some of y'all just look for something to be pissed about?

First off the tweet literally says they aren't involved in negotiations.

Besides did you really think we'd be only ones trying to make a deal for JV? You just expect everyone else to back off because we're involved?

To be clear, I didn't mean JV specifically, I meant the few starters remaining.
Farmer1906
AG
BadAggie
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Cross that option off the list
Mathguy64
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Dusty isn't mentally sound of he compares these two and doesn't see a significant difference.

If you pull Yanier's catcher splits you can see he has effectively Maldonado's production in less than half the games.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
We don't have a third catcher. The taxi squad is not a part of the team, he can't be just brought into a game without being activated
Mathguy64
AG
The Angles are nuts. They have to jump three of us, Toronto, Boston and NYY. And pray that the Mariners right behind them don't do the same.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Prospect ratings for the return
Prosperdick
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

We don't have a third catcher. The taxi squad is not a part of the team, he can't be just brought into a game without being activated
Sorry, I thought Cesar was back up and available. Regardless, if you pinch hit for Maldy and Diaz somehow gets hurt you've got much bigger problems than losing just that game.
BadAggie
AG
Brown is just going to need to wait out Dusty and focus on building up the farm a little bit.

Click ran into the same problem though. In Crane's mind he wasn't aggressive enough but he had deal lined up for Contreras at last years deadline that Crane nixed.

Luhnow brought Moneyball to the Astros. Crane bought into it but I wouldn't say he's a disciple.

Maldanaldo gets all kinds of protection in this organization it's weird.
texasaggie2015
AG
BadAggie said:

Click ran into the same problem though. In Crane's mind he wasn't aggressive enough but he had deal lined up for Contreras at last years deadline that Crane nixed.

That's what was reported but there was a lot more to it. Particularly the Cubs backing out of an agreement and asking for more.

JV will come down the very wire. There's so many details to be worked out that I really don't expect him to go anywhere until the last minute.

Astros aren't done. I expect a couple more moves.
MaxPower
The good news in all this is the Rangers and Angels are hurting their farms. My guess is teams are asking for guys we simply aren't willing to trade. We need to hold onto Baez, Clifford, Gilbert, Arrighetti and Gordon. Melton, Barber and Leon are probably the group I'd want to trade from. Arrighetti and Gordon aren't elite prospects but we need the near major league ready arms.
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Prospect ratings for the return

Not much. Keep in mind the Angels farm system is one of the worst in baseball.
Farmer1906
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

BadAggie said:

That's what was reported but there was a lot more to it. Particularly the Cubs backing out of an agreement and asking for more.

JV will come down the very wire. There's so many details to be worked out that I really don't expect him to go anywhere until the last minute.

Astros aren't done. I expect a couple more moves.

That's a tidbit.
All I do is Nguyen
So it'll be midnight like in 2017 again? Neat
No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
MaxPower
Blake Sabol from the Giants would be interesting. Power lefty bat. Can play some LF and 1B but also gives you a third catcher (and backup next year).
BadAggie
AG
MaxPower said:

Blake Sabol from the Giants would be interesting. Power lefty bat. Can play some LF and 1B but also gives you a third catcher (and backup next year).

He available?
Prosperdick
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

So it'll be midnight like in 2017 again? Neat
As long as the end result is the same...I'm in!!!
MaxPower
No clue. Not like they gave up much to get him and already have a starting catcher, 1B and full OF. They could use a SS so Dubon? I wouldn't mind giving Whitcomb a shot at that utility job.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
BadAggie said:

MaxPower said:

He available?

The Giants are 2 games back in the division and hold the first NL wild card spot. I highly doubt they sell anyone.
First Page Last Page
Page 1359 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.