***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,531,159 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
BadAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
tjack16 said:

BadAggie said:

Is Leon close to being ready? If the Madris and Hensleys get shots why not him?

I havent understood some of the call ups this year. Bannon, Kessinger and Madris have gotten shots over Lee, Dirden, Leon, Singleton and Shay Whitcomb (who has 25 HR this season at AAA)

Maybe has to do with service time/extending year(s) of control? Of course, maybe those guys were the best? If so, yikes.
BadAggie
AG
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/07/white-sox-trade-kendall-graveman-astros.html

"The addition of Graveman and his remaining salary takes the Astros' payroll north of $195MM, per Roster Resource. In terms of luxury-tax calculations they're now over $220MM, which still leaves them with plenty of breathing room underneath the $233MM first tier threshold. Houston now has $149MM in guarantees on next year's payroll, before considering that option on Neris or what figures to be an expensive slate of arbitration-eligible players. Cy Young candidate Framber Valdez and star outfielder Kyle Tucker headline an arb class that also includes Jose Urquidy, Blake Taylor, Mauricio Dubon, Chas McCormick, Luis Garcia and the aforementioned Abreu. Valdez will be due a raise on this year's $6.8MM salary. Tucker will get a bump from this season's $5MM figure"
Beau Holder
AG
maca1028 said:

Not Astros related but I'm going behind enemy lines and passing through Seattle in a couple of weeks and want to catch a ballgame while I'm there. Anyone been to T-Mobile? Any recommendations on the best section/bang for my buck?

Great park. Top thing you have to do is get the garlic fries. I sat left field second deck when I was there a few weeks back but honestly you can get decent sight lines from most sections and the real fun is going to the CF party deck.

They also have a Din Tai Fung in there, which is sick.

Couple bars and brewpubs along the street near the two stadiums.
BadAggie
AG
A JV return would put the Astros into lux tax territory, which would might have the double whammy of paying more, losing out on distributions from tax paying teams, and losing draft position, iirc. On top of that the Astros have several core players progressing through arbitration years and set to get raises the next 2 offseasons.

We'll find out just how aggressive Crane wants to be by next Tuesday but will not be surprised if additional trades are not splashes but pickups of players with some years of control or lower cost rentals.

A JV return would be expensive given that he's likely to vest the 2025 option for $35 mil. At least he'd be off the books before Altuve, Bregman hit free agency in 2025 and Tucker in 2026.

BadAggie
AG
Seth Brown?

"Now, the Astros are targeting a left-handed bat and a starting pitcher. One name that has been linked to Houston by rival executives is Oakland A's slugger Seth Brown, who has hit a mere .197/.278/.394 with 10 home runs and 28 RBI, and could benefit from a change of scenery. He has hit 20 and 25 home runs in his last two full seasons."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/mlb-rumors-targets-for-orioles-astros-plus-mets-calculation-on-justin-verlander/ar-AA1evnDL
Wabs
AG
JV and Snell are both scheduled to pitch Sunday.
tremble
AG
Wabs said:

We need a SP, another reliever, a bat, and a manager. Anything else?

Honestly? I'm at the point where a new manager is the #1 concern this team has.

We are probably at 6-7 games that Dusty has lost due to his lineup construction. This season feels way different if we are 4-5 games ahead and likely leading the division.

How Dusty keeps trotting out Maldonado and Julks now is crazy.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
MaxPower
BadAggie said:

A JV return would put the Astros into lux tax territory, which would might have the double whammy of paying more, losing out on distributions from tax paying teams, and losing draft position, iirc. On top of that the Astros have several core players progressing through arbitration years and set to get raises the next 2 offseasons.

We'll find out just how aggressive Crane wants to be by next Tuesday but will not be surprised if additional trades are not splashes but pickups of players with some years of control or lower cost rentals.

A JV return would be expensive given that he's likely to vest the 2025 option for $35 mil. At least he'd be off the books before Altuve, Bregman hit free agency in 2025 and Tucker in 2026.

The penalty for going over the first time is minute. 20% tax on overages. My opinion is you deal with next year next year. Maybe you dump an Abreu or reload a bit by trading a guy you can't extend long-term. There are options.

Seth Brown would be interesting. A bit Chris Carter ish with really high k's but strong batted ball metrics. He might also open up dumping Abreu next year.
texasaggie2015
AG
Does anyone have any tickets for sale tonight? Looking for two
maca1028
Thanks! I was eyeing left field just above the bullpen.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Prosperdick
AG
tremble said:

Wabs said:

We need a SP, another reliever, a bat, and a manager. Anything else?

Honestly? I'm at the point where a new manager is the #1 concern this team has.

We are probably at 6-7 games that Dusty has lost due to his lineup construction. This season feels way different if we are 4-5 games ahead and likely leading the division.

How Dusty keeps trotting out Maldonado and Julks now is crazy.
Also previously red hot Chas with ZERO protection with an 0-37 batter behind him and the worst hitting catcher in MLB history behind him. Chas won't get ANYTHING close with those two zeroes behind in the order.

Stick Pena in that slot and we'll just have a black hole 7-9 but our 1-6 should inflict some damage.
Marvin
AG
maca1028 said:

That may put you in the sun, depending on the time of day. If you care. First base line upper deck gives you a view of the city.

Great ballpark, but don't wear any Houston gear. Fans are worse than New Yorkers.

Trains drop you off close to the stadium. Something of a bottleneck getting in and out.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
tjack16
AG

Alex Bregman got called up within a year of being drafted. Is Gilbert a September call up or 2024 debut?
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Bummer
Mathguy64
AG
tjack16 said:

Alex Bregman got called up within a year of being drafted. Is Gilbert a September call up or 2024 debut?
He's got 58 games at AA this year. Batting .243/.348/.374, wRC+ 94.

IMHO he's nowhere close to ready right now. I'm not even certain he should move up to AAA.
Farmer1906
AG
tjack16 said:

Probably 2024. Breggy started 2016 in AA where he had a .975 OPS over 285 PA. Then he got called up to AAA where he had a 1.015 OPS in only 83 PA. He was called up in late July. He dominated at Lsu & in all levels of the minors. He was needed at the big league level and given the starting position.

Gilbert started year 2 in A+. He dominated then moved to AA where he has not dominated. He dealt with injury & struggled at the plate coming back from it. He's clearly behind Bregman's scorching pace. He won't be afforded a starting position if he's not producing.
tjack16
AG
Gotcha. I'd assume he's on the opening day 2024 roster especially if Meyers or Julks is gone.

An outfield of Chas, Yordan, and Tucker with Gilbert getting some ABs when Yordan DHs would be good.
Mathguy64
AG
Speaking of AAA players, I wonder what/when we see big Jon.

25 games and 110 PA so a decent sample, .333/.455/.736 wRC+ of 173. Is he on a massive AAA heater or is there anything in the tank you can use? Whatever it is it's free.

He could be a LH bat off the bench/1B/DH and spell Captain Lou, who has dropped back off his hot June and who frankly has played poorly in the field in July.
maca1028
Marvin said:

maca1028 said:

That may put you in the sun, depending on the time of day. If you care. First base line upper deck gives you a view of the city.

Great ballpark, but don't wear any Houston gear. Fans are worse than New Yorkers.

Trains drop you off close to the stadium. Something of a bottleneck getting in and out.

Just realized that the left field deck is bleacher seats so I went with section 115 down the first base line. I'm always amazed at how much cheaper other parks are compared to MMP, price of being the champs.
W
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Bummer
another bummer...

the Rangers have 3 games vs. the now depleted White Sox next week
Mathguy64
AG
W said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Bummer
another bummer...

the Rangers have 3 games vs. the now depleted White Sox next week
To be fair, they weren't exactly full of all stars when we were losing to them and Detroit early in the season. That's the story of this season. Lost opportunities against really poor teams in the first 2 months
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Speaking of AAA players, I wonder what/when we see big Jon.

25 games and 110 PA so a decent sample, .333/.455/.736 wRC+ of 173. Is he on a massive AAA heater or is there anything in the tank you can use? Whatever it is it's free.

He could be a LH bat off the bench/1B/DH and spell Captain Lou, who has dropped back off his hot June and who frankly has played poorly in the field in July.

Abreu is not getting benched. If he is, it'll happen on the same mythical day when maldy gets benched
Deluxe
AG
Beau Holder said:

I did not know this. I flew into Orange County on Thursday and the first thing I did was go to Din Tai in Costa Mesa.
texasaggie2015
AG
I don't expect Gilbert on the roster opening day next year.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

This might be the worst one I've seen in a long time
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Mathguy64
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I don't expect Gilbert on the roster opening day next year.
I assume when he goes to AAA he plays CF. What are they going to do with Leon? He's shown no real improvement. Does he have any value as a throw this week?
Mathguy64
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

That's a big difference. I wonder if the invisible is no longer invisible.
Beau Holder
AG
Deluxe said:

Beau Holder said:

I did not know this. I flew into Orange County on Thursday and the first thing I did was go to Din Tai in Costa Mesa.

Yeah, I was very (pleasantly) surprised too.
BCEDAg
AG
BadAggie said:

Seth Brown?

"Now, the Astros are targeting a left-handed bat and a starting pitcher. One name that has been linked to Houston by rival executives is Oakland A's slugger Seth Brown, who has hit a mere .197/.278/.394 with 10 home runs and 28 RBI, and could benefit from a change of scenery. He has hit 20 and 25 home runs in his last two full seasons."if we're going to trade for Seth Browm hopefully we can get Tony Kenp thrown in as well.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/mlb-rumors-targets-for-orioles-astros-plus-mets-calculation-on-justin-verlander/ar-AA1evnDL
MaxPower
Leon isn't really a big prospect. He's older and still been very meh. K's way too much and power is inconsistent. I suspect Gilbert starts in AAA next year then makes the bigs in June or July. That's two years I'm a row he has gotten hurt and either missed a lot of time or his production dropped big time. He needs to show he can either avoid injury or play through it effectively. He's got a bit of Springer to him in his OF play, fun to watch until he's batting .200 playing through a sprained wrist for 6 weeks.
AggiEE
BCEDAg said:

BadAggie said:

Seth Brown?

"Now, the Astros are targeting a left-handed bat and a starting pitcher. One name that has been linked to Houston by rival executives is Oakland A's slugger Seth Brown, who has hit a mere .197/.278/.394 with 10 home runs and 28 RBI, and could benefit from a change of scenery. He has hit 20 and 25 home runs in his last two full seasons."if we're going to trade for Seth Browm hopefully we can get Tony Kenp thrown in as well.

Eh....I don't like it. Marginal upgrade at best. Would rather roll the dice with an AAA callup or something
First Page Last Page
Page 1326 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.