***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,535,645 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
GoodBullShark
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ag_07 said:

Framber, Javier, and Urquidy have plenty of playoff experience. Hell they have more playoff experience and success than JV. Brown has had some now too.

Now they have to pitch better than they are now but experience is one thing we aren't lacking.

It's actually the one thing that makes us dangerous once we get in.
Urquidy hasn't even pitched for the big league club after his injury, not sure how you can pencil him into the rotation yet for the playoffs. I love Javier but he hasn't been the same. We need a 2 or better SP to come in and set the rotation. Verlander would be ideal.
Ag_07
AG
But it's all about value

He wasn't going to be any more than a backup catcher for us after being passed by Yanier.

He was expendable.
superaggie73
AG
redline248 said:

BadAggie said:

F The Athletic

Astros got a MLB reliever
White Sox got a draft bust

Astros A
White Sox F-
What's the average length of time to go from drafted to the pros? Lee is 23 and had only 26 major league plate appearances. It's early to call him a bust , imo.

Will he be a perennial all star? I doubt it, but he could be a solid player.

He might be 23 if he's using Jose Abreu's birth certificate. He's actually 25 already and nowhere near ready to start in the majors.
Ag_07
AG
I agree. I was just speaking to the assertion that we lack experience.
Chef Elko
AG
GoodBullShark said:

Ag_07 said:

Framber, Javier, and Urquidy have plenty of playoff experience. Hell they have more playoff experience and success than JV. Brown has had some now too.

Now they have to pitch better than they are now but experience is one thing we aren't lacking.

It's actually the one thing that makes us dangerous once we get in.
Urquidy hasn't even pitched for the big league club after his injury, not sure how you can pencil him into the rotation yet for the playoffs. I love Javier but he hasn't been the same. We need a 2 or better SP to come in and set the rotation. Verlander would be ideal.
Maybe he could get us a W in the WS
BCEDAg
AG
Lee just turned 25 three days ago.
Farmer1906
AG
Quote:

Lee was a first-round pick in 2021 and a top prospect before becoming strikeout-prone in the upper minors. He is still quite young, only 23, and still has a solid ceiling. That feels like a strong return for a good but far from overwhelming reliever.
Astros: B

This is embarrassing for whoever wrote this. I don't expect writers know every minor league player, but if you're in charge of a blurb about a trade at least do 5 min of research.
JohnnyTexAg1995
Maldy Catching and no Diaz again… Yordon DH

Why not just trade Diaz! We could get a ton for him and Dusty won't play him anyway!!! Wtf man
Gig 'Em and God Bless
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Putting Abreu behind Yordan is one of the most brain-dead stupid things Dusty can possibly do. They're just gonna walk Yordan to get to the automatic out / double play.
Farmer1906
AG
I am sure a sick Maldonado will do great.
Farmer1906
AG
We're ****ing idiots batting Yordan 5th.
Bulldog73
AG
Maldonado fixin to have his Jordan game.
BadAggie
AG
Bulldog73 said:

Maldonado fixin to have his Jordan game.

Lol
BadAggie
AG
Ag_07 said:

If we end making 2 more moves there will be some MLers on the move.

There's just not enough room

The Meyers, Julks fanbase needs to be prepared
redline248
AG
Ag_07 said:

But it's all about value

He wasn't going to be any more than a backup catcher for us after being passed by Yanier.

He was expendable.
I agree with that, I'm just saying no one has "seen him enough" to know
Wabs
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Wabs
AG
Beerosch
AG
Yordan & Chas are in the bottom half of the lineup…unreal. Your best hitter and your hottest hitter
BTKAG97
AG
Farmer1906 said:

We?
redline248
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Imagine if we acquired Shohei. Dusty would probably bat him 2nd, but then he can't put lefties together so either Yordan or Tucker would bat 6th
Farmer1906
AG
redline248 said:

Ag_07 said:

But it's all about value

He was expendable.
I agree with that, I'm just saying no one has "seen him enough" to know

He has almost 1400 PA in the minors with a .763 OPS. Almost 800 PA in AAA with a .759 OPS. His best season in the minors was .790 last year. Keep in mind the PCL is a hitter paradise. His wRC+ the last 3 seasons in AAA were 45, 90, 76.
Ag_07
AG
This has to be Dusty's sick way of easing Yordan back into form.

WTF?!?!
AgSportsFan89
AG
If Maldy is under the weather, surely we could afford to let Diaz catch CJ. Ffs
Beau Holder
AG
Farmer1906 said:

We?

One idiot.

The Porkchop Express
AG
redline248 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Imagine if we acquired Shohei. Dusty would probably bat him 2nd, but then he can't put lefties together so either Yordan or Tucker would bat 6th

On nights when he pitched, dusty would have Jake meyers DH for him.
Marvin
AG
CSWendt said:

I find it hard to believe we will make 2 more moves with one being a splash move. We just don't have the farm system to go get multiple big names, especially given a sellers market. We need to have the expectation of one more move, MAYBE two if they are small, cheap players. Teams can just offer much better prospects than us for guys like JV, Bellinger, Hader, Snell, etc.

That's why I think the whole "be aggressive" talk coming out was just noise. Sounded good, and it certainly fit Crane's past MO, but the lack depth on the farm finally caught up to the Astros. Just a guess.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Marvin
AG
I am so done with Dumbass Dusty. Absolute potato brain.
Bulldog73
AG
And the insane seller's market hurts even worse.
Jet Black

What a joke
Farmer1906
AG
I think the caveat was being aggressive without being stupid. The Padres were ultra aggressive in free agency. Is that what we want? Looks pretty stupid from where I am sitting and they're at the front end of a lot of bad contracts.

The fact we heard rumors from nation writers on Cease & Verlander mean we were aggressive in asking. I am sure 20+ teams asked about them too but we were named. I would guess that means we offered a large package. Was it enough? No & not yet. But I think it was more than just blowing smoke.

I want to go back to being the smartest club, making savvy moves. If we play it right, this Graveman move should work. If we stack 2 more similar trades then I think we can call this a success.
Jet Black
You can't let the rangers get verlander. Might be the deciding factor in who wins the decision.
Ag_07
AG
Jet Black said:

You can't let the rangers get verlander.

Well that's not up to us
bearkatag15
AG
Ag_07 said:

Jet Black said:

Well that's not up to us

It's pretty much up to JV because of his no trade clause
The Porkchop Express
AG
Ag_07 said:

Jet Black said:

Well that's not up to us
It is if you pull a Vic Mackey and kidnap Verlander and keep him in a hotel room until the trade deadline passes.
Marvin
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I think the caveat was being aggressive without being stupid. The Padres were ultra aggressive in free agency. Is that what we want? Looks pretty stupid from where I am sitting and they're at the front end of a lot of bad contracts.

The fact we heard rumors from nation writers on Cease & Verlander mean we were aggressive in asking. I am sure 20+ teams asked about them too but we were named. I would guess that means we offered a large package. Was it enough? No & not yet. But I think it was more than just blowing smoke.

I want to go back to being the smartest club, making savvy moves. If we play it right, this Graveman move should work. If we stack 2 more similar trades then I think we can call this a success.

Not saying a trade is smart or not, only that the Astros don't have the chips to swim in deep water this year.
First Page Last Page
Page 1310 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.