***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,535,648 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Wabs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cromagnum said:

bearkatag15 said:

He's a good player, but I worry about locker room and dugout issues.

BadAggie
AG
Wabs said:

Man it would be strange seeing Bellinger in an Astros uniform. But a good kinda strange.

Oughta put a bright orange trash can next to his locker on the first day
Farmer1906
AG
Cromagnum said:

bearkatag15 said:

He's a good player, but I worry about locker room and dugout issues.

I worry about him not being good the rest of the year.
R-Dog
AG
If you are us, is there a way to put out feelers on what Bellinger would think about playing here? In other words, is there a way to find out ahead of time if he really would want to be here so you don't trade for him if he flat out doesn't want to?
BadAggie
AG
I mean Forrest is the very definition of sunk cost
texasaggie2015
AG
Guys. He is NOT going to be a problem in the locker room. Fans are more upset over what he said than the players are. These guys talk throughout the year. Everyone is over it. They want to win.

They've been after him for a while now. This isn't new.
bearkatag15
AG
The Athletic grades the trade:

The trade
Astros get: Kendall Graveman, RHP
White Sox get: Korey Lee, C

Andy McCullough: One thing Astros general manager Dana Brown has in common with his predecessor, James Click? Both executives have now made trades for Graveman, who was perfectly fine as a midseason addition to the Astros in 2021. Graveman posted a 1.64 ERA that postseason and parlayed it into a three-year, $24 million contract with the White Sox. In 2023, he is striking out fewer batters and walking more than he did in 2022 (and back in 2021), so the Astros may suffer through some regression. But Graveman does make Houston's bullpen deeper and reduce some strain on closer Ryne Pressly.
Another benefit to acquiring Graveman: He is under contract through 2024, owed $8 million. The cost is a tad high, but the Astros can afford it, especially with Hector Neris, Phil Maton and Ryne Stanek all headed to free agency.
Lee was a first-round pick in 2021 and a top prospect before becoming strikeout-prone in the upper minors. He is still quite young, only 23, and still has a solid ceiling. That feels like a strong return for a good but far from overwhelming reliever.
Astros: B
White Sox: A-

Stephen J. Nesbitt: Hold up. Rick Hahn is cooking.
In baseball, the spoils of failure come out in spectacular sell-offs, and that's exactly what we're seeing on Chicago's South Side. In exchange for Lucas Giolito, Reynaldo Lpez, Lance Lynn, Joe Kelly and Kendall Graveman, the White Sox have added the Angels' Nos. 2 and 3 prospects (catcher Edgar Quero and lefty Ky Bush), two Dodgers minor-league arms (right-handers Nick Nastrini and Jordan Leasure), former Astros first-round catcher Korey Lee and once-and-future White Sox outfielder Trayce Thompson. That's a pretty remarkable haul for five pitchers who have one good 2023 season and one more guaranteed year of control between them.
As for the Astros, Graveman again fits the bill. He's been all right this year. He's had sustained stretches of excellence like a 16-inning scoreless streak from May 3 to June 9 and then periodic blow-ups, like a three-run outing July 23 against the Twins. He's a sinkerballer with only moderate strikeout rates and declining ground-ball numbers, and his walk rate is higher than ever this year, so he's not returning to Houston at his peak, but better days are probably ahead. Losing Lee could sting one day, but Yanier Diaz has helped clarify the Astros' catching future beyond the Martn Maldonado era. Ultimately, Lee was expendable for the Astros, but he could represent a prominent piece for the retooling White Sox.
White Sox: A
Astros: B
texasaggie2015
AG
The Graveman trade is exactly what I was talking about over the last month or so when I said they'll give up prospects for bullpen arms with club control. There might be one more coming as well as a starting pitcher. I think a bat is less likely but certainly possible.
BadAggie
AG
I mean maybe Lee is a MLB player. We saw enough of him that this doesn't feel like a big loss.

It's like you label a guy a prospect and that gets conflated with something more.
W
AG
J.P. France -- 14th round -- may cover the 2018 draft

and Chas -- 21st round -- may cover the 2017 draft
BadAggie
AG
F The Athletic

Astros got a MLB reliever
White Sox got a draft bust

Astros A
White Sox F-
GoodBullShark
AG
Any way Abreu is involved with a trade for Bellinger?
BadAggie
AG
Do Astros have to send out salary?
All I do is Nguyen
I wanted to keep graveman before we let him walk to this makes me happy. Now GO GET JV and Bellinger!!!
No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Ag_07
AG
For a team that supposedly didn't want to rebuild the White Sox sure are unloading a lot of ML talent for prospects.
texasaggie2015
AG
No. It would make absolutely zero sense for the Cubs to do that.
CSWendt
AG
I find it hard to believe we will make 2 more moves with one being a splash move. We just don't have the farm system to go get multiple big names, especially given a sellers market. We need to have the expectation of one more move, MAYBE two if they are small, cheap players. Teams can just offer much better prospects than us for guys like JV, Bellinger, Hader, Snell, etc.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
texasaggie2015
AG
Yep, I'm not expecting a splash.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
CSWendt said:

I find it hard to believe we will make 2 more moves with one being a splash move. We just don't have the farm system to go get multiple big names, especially given a sellers market. We need to have the expectation of one more move, MAYBE two if they are small, cheap players. Teams can just offer much better prospects than us for guys like JV, Bellinger, Hader, Snell, etc.

I don't think 2015 or anyone else suggested one was going to be a splash. It's been pretty well accepted for weeks that we are playing in the bargain bin.
Taxman90
AG
We are somewhere around $12 million under the luxury tax amount.
linkdude
AG
The cynic in me wonders if they're inventing an excuse to have Diaz catch Javi, but that might hurt Maldy's pride even more, so I'm sure this is "legit"
Bulldog73
AG
Yordan feels under the weather, he misses a week. Martin… stop the presses waiting for a Dr.
texasaggie2015
AG
They've been aggressive and they wanted to make a splash for sure. But it's a sellers market and that made it tough.
AggiEE
Graveman deal is exactly what I wanted to see. We gave up nothing of value to us, and got

If both Graveman and Montero can get it going soon then our bullpen woes will be largely over.

Would still like a solid middle rotation SP. I don't think we need an outfielder or a LH hitter, tbh. Kind of a luxury more than anything.
Ag_07
AG
If we end making 2 more moves there will be some MLers on the move.

There's just not enough room
3B Paul 97
AG
Javier has struggled some. Perfect time to change it up and see how he does with Diaz.
Chef Elko
AG
AggiEE said:

Graveman deal is exactly what I wanted to see. We gave up nothing of value to us, and got

If both Graveman and Montero can get it going soon then our bullpen woes will be largely over.

Would still like a solid middle rotation SP. I don't think we need an outfielder or a LH hitter, tbh. Kind of a luxury more than anything.
We have that with Chas stepping up and Jon Singleton.

Julks has been hitting the ball hard and you can see he's getting frustrated, hits will follow. Jake has just been a complete disappointment and it's simply time to move on.
GoodBullShark
AG
I don't know how anyone could feel comfortable with the squad as is in the playoffs. We absolutely need a top of the rotation SP to content this year. The way Framber has been pitching and lack of experienced depth behind him is terrifying in the playoffs.
maca1028
Bulldog73 said:

Yordan feels under the weather, he misses a week. Martin… stop the presses waiting for a Dr.

My thoughts exactly!
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Ag_07
AG
Framber, Javier, and Urquidy have plenty of playoff experience. Hell they have more playoff experience and success than JV. Brown has had some now too.

Now they have to pitch better than they are now but experience is one thing we aren't lacking.

It's actually the one thing that makes us dangerous once we get in.
Ciboag96
Bulldog73 said:

Maldonado only feels about 0.170 well
redline248
AG
BadAggie said:

F The Athletic

Astros got a MLB reliever
White Sox got a draft bust

Astros A
White Sox F-
What's the average length of time to go from drafted to the pros? Lee is 23 and had only 26 major league plate appearances. It's early to call him a bust , imo.

Will he be a perennial all star? I doubt it, but he could be a solid player.
First Page Last Page
Page 1309 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.