***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,536,607 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
texasaggie2015
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah, that guy was nuts. There was definitely steam there and talks were ongoing to the point that names were exchanged.. but there was never an agreement.
Farmer1906
AG
Still talking? Impasse? Mets back out of talks cause they're not selling him? Any idea?
SpaceCityAg05
AG
If rentals, I still think I would prefer a deal with STL, simply because I think we could resign Hicks.

I wonder if we could do a combo of Flaherty, Hicks, and O'Neil?

If you could pull that off you could turn your attention to finding a standalone RP somewhere else - perhaps a project/lotto ticket.
Prosperdick
AG
Just please no Lynn...let the Rangers overpay for him and watch him give up gopher balls left and right.
texasaggie2015
AG
From what I understand the guy on Twitter leaked it and dominoes started falling and the whole deal was axed. Pretty wild.

No, I think the Mets asking price was just a little too steep.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I have very fond memories of stopping at Wendy's, getting a jbc & frosty, eating in the dome parking lot before they started charging, buying $4 OF tickets ($1 kids), and having the time of my life watching batting practice, wondering around the dome, & catching the game.

My fond memories were always running into friends when we went, as well as getting free stuff and signatures every time…little did I know it was because we were all Astros buddies and sat in the same area and only went when we got those tickets. Thankfully they gave lots of tickets back then.

I also remember my rule following father having road beers in an Astros cup on the way to the game because there weren't open container laws. We usually ate homemade sandwiches in the car on the drive as well so we didn't spend money in the stadium.

Then we had the marathon walk up the ramps to the nose bleeds…once in the stadium I have vivid memories of "you can ring me bellll elll elll ring my bell" Couldnt tell you Biggio or Bagwells walk up if there was a gun to my head.
texasaggie2015
AG
I miss the dome as well. It's where I fell in love with baseball. My dad caught a Sean Berry home run in the left field bleachers. A few years later I caught a Mike Lamb home run in the right field bleachers at MMP.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Those were the days when kids had holes in the knees of their Levi's because they wore then out and mom had not gotten around to ironing in the patches, not because they bought them that way.

I can proudly say my 9yr old son still consistently has earned holes in his knees and those jeans then translate into cutoffs when they get short.
Farmer1906
AG
Do we want to pay for Hicks in the offseason? Expensive relievers are usually poor investments.
Mathguy64
AG
Get yo beah heah. Best foam in da dome. Cold beah!
SpaceCityAg05
AG
Of course it would depend on the deal with Hicks. I am just guessing a hometown kid may have interest in pitching here.

And unfortunately, we are going to have to pay for at least one FA reliever this offseason or 2024 could be rough. We haven't added any Pressly, Maton like pieces via trade in the last year 1.5 years that can slide up and fill the back end.

We are going to need more than Pressly and Abreu and our system doesn't have anyone ready.

Pressly
Abreu
Montero
Martinez
Mushinski

As bad as it is, prepare to have to spend some dollars (or prospects via trade) on the pen whether it is resigning Neris and Maton or Hicks and/or others.
Farmer1906
AG
I think we will address via trade at the deadline or possibly offseason. Just my guess.

And go after more value, low budget types. We have so much invested dollar wise in Montero & Pressly.
SpaceCityAg05
AG
It is also why someone like Bummer could be worth paying a little premium for his upside and control.
Farmer1906
AG
Agreed.
texasaggie2015
AG
The Astros LOVE Bummer
AgSportsFan89
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

The Astros LOVE Bummer

I think you missed the L. BLUMMER.
tjack16
AG
Get Jack Flaherty, Aaron Bummer + other bullpen arm and Tony Kemp. Then call it a deadline
The Porkchop Express
AG
R-Dog said:

That was a little before my time.

Back in the day, we'd leave our house in Bellaire and drive down South Braeswood to the Dome, took about 15 minutes.

Pavilion tickets were $4 for adults and $1 for kids. Parking was also $1. We could leave for a 7:30 p.m. game at 6:45 and be a family of four in our seats at first pitch for $11.
tjack16
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

R-Dog said:

Back in the day, we'd leave our house in Bellaire and drive down South Braeswood to the Dome, took about 15 minutes.

Pavilion tickets were $4 for adults and $1 for kids. Parking was also $1. We could leave for a 7:30 p.m. game at 6:45 and be a family of four in our seats at first pitch for $11.

Now $11 will get you the souvenir soda (tax not included)
88Warrior
Prosperdick said:

Mathguy64 said:

Those were the days when kids had holes in the knees of their Levi's because they wore then out and mom had not gotten around to ironing in the patches, not because they bought them that way.
Levi's...guess the Rockefellers were your parents. Try Toughskins.

Or Plainpockets….
Ag_07
AG
tjack16 said:

Get Jack Flaherty, Aaron Bummer and Tony Kemp. Then call it a deadline

Tony Kemp?!?! WTF?

Am I missing something? That dude has been awful. He's currently sporting a .212 BA with a .600 OPS, 74 OPS+, and a negative WAR.

No thanks on giving up anyone for that.
texasaggie2015
AG
To be fair, dig deeper. Hitting .300+ over his last 30 games. .368 OBP.

It also would be dirt cheap.
iamtheglove
Mathguy64 said:

How cute that all the youngsters can go to an app where they purchased all their tickets over their lifetime and track every game and W/L record.

They didn't have an app to get tickets in the Dome.
A couple times a year when I was a kid in the early 70's my dad would get Astros tickets. We'd drive down from Bryan. Always would stop at Swans BBQ in Hempstead where I would get a big red from the drink machine to complement my brisket sandwich. There was a section of 610 that was elevated and I remember getting to the crest was when you could first see the Dome on the horizon. Walking in you'd hear the organ playing music to the echoing bat cracks of batting practice. I'm pretty sure there was only one flavor of beer, one soda brand and one type of hot dog. So that's what we had, and we liked it.
tjack16
AG
Ag_07 said:

tjack16 said:

Get Jack Flaherty, Aaron Bummer and Tony Kemp. Then call it a deadline

Tony Kemp?!?! WTF?

Am I missing something? That dude has been awful. He's currently sporting a .212 BA with a .600 OPS, 74 OPS+, and a negative WAR.

No thanks on giving up anyone for that.

I'd just get him for a bench bat and late inning runner for Maldy. He'd be SUPER cheap. We currently have no speed on the bench and no lefty bat to put in for Maldy in a clutch situation
R-Dog
AG

R-Dog said:

I remember those days. Lived near the corner of Bellaire Blvd and Stella Link. Our ritual was the Gabby's BBQ on South Main right by the Dome. Had mini-season Loge Level tickets from '80 to '87.
88Warrior
R-Dog said:

R-Dog said:

I remember those days. Lived near the corner of Bellaire Blvd and Stella Link. Our ritual was the Gabby's BBQ on South Main right by the Dome. Had mini-season Loge Level tickets from '80 to '87.

If you lived at Bellaire and Stella Link you had to have picked up your Southwest Championship Wrestling tickets at I.W. Marks Jewelry!?!
texasaggie2015
AG

I actually haven't heard this
All I do is Nguyen
Yuli for Lee straight up
No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
B-Rabbit
AG
How much would Luzardo cost us?
Farmer1906
AG
How about Lee for 1.5 years of Tanner Scott. Too much? Too little? I have no idea.

texasaggie2015
AG
I was just looking at him and Steven Okert
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Mathguy64
AG
R-Dog said:

R-Dog said:

Ok. Here we go. It's story time.

When I was in college I took a summer job at Gabby's at a new store they were opening on Jones Rd. I was going to be a "cutter" AKA someone who ran a pit and cut the meat. Since the store wasn't opened yet they sent several of us other stores to get trained. I spent a day down at that South Main spot.

It's lunch and I'm slicing beef like crazy for sammys and one of the long timers there nudges me and says "watch this". Next I know there is this sleazy bottle blonde who comes up and orders a fat sandwich. I'm like WTF and this long timer reaches down in the fat bucket next to the station and uses his tongs to pull out a scrap of fat off a brisket, slaps it on a bun, sauces it and sends it out. When she got the plate she grinned, she was missing some teeth and says "I like the fat 'cause it slides down easy"

Supposedly this was a local hooker who worked the area and used one of the weekly rate motels across the street to work out of.

19 year old Mathguy grew up a lot that day.
redline248
AG
That is a lot of dark red
First Page Last Page
Page 1302 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.