***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,537,143 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
cc10106
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SpaceCityAg05 said:

2015 could be wrong on EVERY post he ever makes and he still wouldn't deserve being called Ketch.

To be clear, I appreciate the insights and discussion, 2015.
The Porkchop Express
AG
tjack16 said:

I just spent 25 minutes scouring YouTube looking for a particular homerun … only thing I remember from a game I attended in 2008
I'm about to create my summer of 1996 when I saw games at Busch, new Comiskey, Wrigley, the Metrodome, Kauffman, and Coors Field in 10 days.
Farmer1906
AG
I think the ranger fan used it as a shot. I stared using it because thought it was funny and am an *******. I think everyone appreciates what you bring. You can let your nuts hang when your info proves true in a few days.
texasaggie2015
AG
The frustrating thing is a lot of teams that were on the line between buying and selling have started trending towards buying. It's a sellers market which doesn't help Houston.

I still stand by my prediction that we get a mid-tier SP (Lorenzen, Flaherty, Montgomery, etc), a good bullpen arm and an average bullpen arm.

Edit to add: I know we've been in contact with St Louis about both starting pitchers and we've inquired on Hicks as well.
BadAggie
AG
One would think Angels could trade Ohtani even if hurt, would have to get other team to agree to waive physical I think. There's insurance implications, has to be
texasaggie2015
AG
I don't think anyone will give up any assets with the unknowns of an oblique injury. Very possible they would never see him play a game.
Ag_07
AG
Yeah...No way anyone makes a trade for him if he's on the IL with an oblique. Not worth it for just the short time that he COULD be healthy and playing for you.

Not to mention the other side of the coin that he could never play for you.
MaxPower
cc10106 said:

snakebitten organization
Or most poorly run
SpaceCityAg05
AG
Given the ridiculous status of the market, if we could pull off Montgomery and Hicks without selling the farm (which we should not do for a pair of rentals), that would have to be considered a win.

Tell them we will them more if they include Goldy.

The idea of adding Tony Kemp as a left handed PH off the bench is also growing on me as he has been his pesky self since Memorial Day and should cost NOTHING to acquire. In this market I don't think any significant bats will be a smart fit, but we could use a lefty PH option that can get on base and run.
tjack16
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

The frustrating thing is a lot of teams that were on the line between buying and selling have started trending towards buying. It's a sellers market which doesn't help Houston.

I still stand by my prediction that we get a mid-tier SP (Lorenzen, Flaherty, Montgomery, etc), a good bullpen arm and an average bullpen arm.

Edit to add: I know we've been in contact with St Louis about both starting pitchers and we've inquired on Hicks as well.

Flaherty would be who I want. I think a change in scenery to a contender would do wonders for him
texasaggie2015
AG
FWIW I've heard they have the most interest in Flaherty between those three
Farmer1906
AG
High ceiling. But he's been a walk machine.
GoodBullShark
AG
Jose Fn Siri has more home runs than anyone on the Astros?!!!
SpaceCityAg05
AG
Definitely a risk-reward situation.

Flaherty can be a top of the rotation guy, but he has been awful recently.

Montgomery is much more consistent but is a 3/4 innings eater.

It depends which need you are prioritizing - an arm for October or one to get you TO October.

We can use an innings eater to get to October, but there are some guys on the market that would cost multiple prospects but may not be better than France.

I honestly feel like we need a veteran calming influence in the top half of the rotation that can dispel that panic of having Framber and Javier struggling at the same time.
Big Al 1992
AG
Where did you find your attendance history?
BadAggie
AG
Somebody would be willing to have a better shot at the Shohei free agency lottery
tjack16
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

Where did you find your attendance history?

On the app, go to your initials in top left and then it'll take you to your profile. You might have to hit view history after
Big Al 1992
AG
Got it!
Mathguy64
AG
How cute that all the youngsters can go to an app where they purchased all their tickets over their lifetime and track every game and W/L record.

They didn't have an app to get tickets in the Dome.
R-Dog
AG
Mathguy64 said:

How cute that all the youngsters can go to an app where they purchased all their tickets over their lifetime and track every game and W/L record.

Not only no app, you had to pay the outrageous $3 parking fee to walk up to the Murworth ticket window! Or go to the Ticketmaster window at Foleys.
Mathguy64
AG
Just getting to the Dome from Jersey Village in a 1974 AMC Hornet Hatchback was an adventure in itself.
Farmer1906
AG
I have very fond memories of stopping at Wendy's, getting a jbc & frosty, eating in the dome parking lot before they started charging, buying $4 OF tickets ($1 kids), and having the time of my life watching batting practice, wondering around the dome, & catching the game.
R-Dog
AG
I paid $50 to park at Dodger Stadium earlier this year. I remember those guys sitting outside the Murworth gate wanting everyone to boycott the Dome over $3 parking.

Good times!
tjack16
AG
R-Dog said:

Mathguy64 said:

Not only no app, you had to pay the outrageous $3 parking fee to walk up to the Murworth ticket window! Or go to the Ticketmaster window at Foleys.

Also you could get a Cracker Jack and soda pop for a nickel!
Mathguy64
AG
Those were the days when kids had holes in the knees of their Levi's because they wore then out and mom had not gotten around to ironing in the patches, not because they bought them that way.
R-Dog
AG
That was a little before my time.

chlavinka
AG
I've probably been to 1200 Astros games and watched around 5000 total.
texasaggie2015
AG
Was told this evening to not to get too excited about the deadline. Moves will be made but likely no splashes. Just hard to do with the way the market is. Expect mid-level rentals. Pretty disappointing but those guys can make a huge difference.

Things can definitely change but that's where we're at right now. I'll see if I can run it by another source.
Mose Schrute
AG
Looking for two tix tomorrow if anyone has any leads
Farmer1906
AG
Look at our competition right now. Who do you fear in the AL?

Rangers offense is nasty, but their starters aren't anything special and their bullpen is below avg.

TB's pitching has a high ceiling but they've been injured like us. They don't have a horse to trust like we do in Framber. Their offense has come back to earth.

Baltimore is a well balanced team. Their SP is probably the weakest of the top teams.

Toronto is solid across the board but they never put it all together.

AL central is mid.

What the key for us is to stay healthy and get Framber & Javier on track. There is no one on the market that can top those 2 things. Fill in some gaps so we have better bench options, a starter that's better than Bielak, and more arms in the bullpen. The last 2 seasons Click did just that (fill gaps) without selling the farm. We ended up in 2 WS, earning one crown.

texasaggie2015
AG
Yep. Let's say we pick up Lorenzen and a solid bullpen arm. That goes a long way.
Prosperdick
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Those were the days when kids had holes in the knees of their Levi's because they wore then out and mom had not gotten around to ironing in the patches, not because they bought them that way.
Levi's...guess the Rockefellers were your parents. Try Toughskins.
Prosperdick
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Was told this evening to not to get too excited about the deadline. Moves will be made but likely no splashes. Just hard to do with the way the market is. Expect mid-level rentals. Pretty disappointing but those guys can make a huge difference.

Things can definitely change but that's where we're at right now. I'll see if I can run it by another source.
I guess the JV dream is dead. Screw that dork on twitter getting everybody's hopes up.
tjack16
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Who would you consider "mid-level"
texasaggie2015
AG
Any of the rentals who aren't necessarily big names. Lorenzen, various relievers, Montgomery. Flaherty maybe. Lynn. Guys like that.
First Page Last Page
Page 1301 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.