***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,560,066 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Agreed. Cease/Robert I'd include him, anything else it's a pass on Gilbert
We can't afford them.

I made a proposal that everyone said was too much…so it is possible I think but would be gutting
Everyone on here values our guys too much.
Wabs
AG
W said:

cannot give up Gilbert for rentals

end of story
Blue star
SpaceCityAg05
AG
Generally true, although it seems like many around here have suddenly started undervaluing Peña.

He may end up being worth 2.5-3 WAR this year even if his bat doesn't recover on defense alone. If and when the bat figures it out, then that number only goes up. Flawed rookie Peña was worth 4.9 bWAR. Dubon cannot replace that.
Farmer1906
AG
Good point.

Fangraphs has Pena as the player with the 37th most trade value (not prospects).
Ag_07
AG
SpaceCityAg05 said:

many around here have suddenly started undervaluing Peña.

I think oftentimes we undervalue him because after last year's playoff run it's hard to remember that he's only in his sophomore season.
SpaceCityAg05
AG
Everyone had hopes that playoff Peña would be the new Peña, and that guy would be a Top 10 player in baseball.

But even inconsistent Peña has Top 40 in baseball value. 4.5 years of control with GG defense at SS and high offensive upside.
Farmer1906
AG
Ben Verlander thinks the Astros are going all in for Cease. Expects the Astros to be big deadline winners.

https://www.youtube.com/live/bbWu40clATw?feature=share&t=1737
W
AG
regarding Pena...

this is another area where Machete kills the Astros

Pena's gold glove defense and .670 OPS would be fine in the 9-hole

but Machete holds down the 9-hole...forcing Pena higher in the order...which accentuates his struggles at the plate
tjack16
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Ben Verlander thinks the Astros are going all in for Cease. Expects the Astros to be big deadline winners.

https://www.youtube.com/live/bbWu40clATw?feature=share&t=1737

That's my dream deal this deadline that's reasonable. The "Cease/Robert" combo deal is going to cost too much
EastCoastAgNc
AG

What a dumb way to injure yourself
Wabs
AG
SpaceCityAg05 said:

Everyone had hopes that playoff Peña would be the new Peña, and that guy would be a Top 10 player in baseball.

But even inconsistent Peña has Top 40 in baseball value. 4.5 years of control with GG defense at SS and high offensive upside.
And this is the reason Pena has been mentioned here in a possible trade. Some of the players we'd "like to" trade for would be very expensive (especially Robert). Pena is a piece that the Astros could offer that may begin a conversation for these types of players, especially in a case where we're trying to keep our #1 and #2 prospects.
texasaggie2015
AG
I'm more confident in a Cease trade than I was yesterday. I'll say that.
jah003
S
EastCoastAgNc said:

What a dumb way to injure yourself

Mariners…

SpaceCityAg05
AG
That is great news. Cease is a NEED, while Robert would be a bonus huge get.

We already have a Top 10 CF, so Robert would just be upgrading. We don't have a Dylan Cease, but need him.

A Cease and Graveman/Bummer trade would really address our needs.
AggiEE
Astros looking at Snell, would much rather have him over Cease especially if it'll cost a lot less
Wabs
AG
AggiEE said:

Astros looking at Snell, would much rather have him over Cease especially if it'll cost a lot less
Snell a rental? Or is he under control next year?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Wabs said:

AggiEE said:

Didn't he have high walk numbers?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I'm more confident in a Cease trade than I was yesterday. I'll say that.

Do you think it will happen soon or be closer to the deadline?
SpaceCityAg05
AG
Snell is a rental which is why he is not at the top of my list.
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Wabs said:

AggiEE said:

Didn't he have high walk numbers?
He struggled, but he's been red hot lately.
Wabs
AG
SpaceCityAg05 said:

Snell is a rental which is why he is not at the top of my list.
I'd be ok with him as a rental if we could give up less than we would have to to get Cease.
texasaggie2015
AG
Closer but that's speculation on my part
texasaggie2015
AG
Gameday: Woodpeckers 6, Hillcats 7 Final Score (07/19/2023) (milb.com)

From last night... Luis Baez is red hot since joining Fayetteville. He's only 19.

Also, I've heard good things on how they feel about Tyler Whitaker's development.

tjack16
AG
Has anybody had anything shipped from team store before? I ordered the gold jersey on Saturday and haven't heard or seen anything about when it was shipped yet. You'd think it would be quick
n_touch
tjack16 said:

Has anybody had anything shipped from team store before? I ordered the gold jersey on Saturday and haven't heard or seen anything about when it was shipped yet. You'd think it would be quick
Same here. Still waiting
AggieJ2002
AG
Speaking of the team store ... I know those 7/13 hats were only available in store. Does anyone know if they ever typically make that stuff available on the team store? Really wanted to get the one in the Oilers colors, but just gonna have to hope they put it online at some point since we don't live there any more
Wabs
AG
Project Gemini
AG
Do you guys mean the "Team Store" that is really MLBshop.com and run by Fanatics? If yes, generally it takes them anywhere from 1-5 days to get a product out the door in my experience. My last order in early July took 2.5 days from order to shipping notification.
texasaggie2015
AG
Yep. They've been after Bellinger for a long time even dating back to this past offseason.
texasaggie2015
AG
The interest in Bellinger is very real, but he's going to be a popular target for several teams. Stroman as well. likely even more so. Both will be expensive for rentals and I don't see us giving up a lot of assets for rentals.

Bellinger is certainly the most likely acquisition between the two but I'm not very optimistic. I would say the odds on Stroman are extremely low.

The reason for my change in tone on Bellinger is this recent hot streak coming at the right time. Someone will likely overpay. I don't think we would be willing to do it.

I think our focus is shifting to starting pitching (I 100% believe they've already started taking swings at Cease) and bullpen help.
n_touch
Project Gemini said:

Do you guys mean the "Team Store" that is really MLBshop.com and run by Fanatics? If yes, generally it takes them anywhere from 1-5 days to get a product out the door in my experience. My last order in early July took 2.5 days from order to shipping notification.
I believe he and I both ordered by calling the store at Minute Maid. Not mlbshop. The jerseys were on sale there not online.
Jerry-Ag
HAVE to do what it takes to get Stroman. Have to have to have to. Need a player like him.
Get back or get Jerry’d
redline248
AG
What is the thought behind taking a hard stance on not moving Gilbert? Just no for a rental, or is it because Tucker is likely gone in a few year?
texasaggie2015
AG
Jerry-Ag said:

HAVE to do what it takes to get Stroman. Have to have to have to. Need a player like him.
They won't give up the future for a rental. He doesn't have the best reputation when he's not happy. If he doesn't want to be here, I don't want any part of him. Let someone else overpay.
texasaggie2015
AG
redline248 said:

What is the thought behind taking a hard stance on not moving Gilbert? Just no for a rental, or is it because Tucker is likely gone in a few year?
They won't trade Gilbert for a rental but they would 100% include him in a deal for Cease (or another starter of that caliber under contract for multiple years)
First Page Last Page
Page 1151 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.