***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,560,098 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
texasaggie2015
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If you can get Johnson he would just be replacing Joel Kuhnel. Johnson has considerably more upside. I'm cool with that. A lot depends on the other moves we're making.

Suter isn't much of a project. He's a rental but I don't think he would cost much and he would be a big piece for us.
Farmer1906
AG
I see where Marvin is coming from. We need impact pieces coming in. But there is no reason why we can't get someone we're to use in med/high leverage AND a high ceiling project. Kind of like the Graveman trade. We got the 8th-inning guy for the playoff run, but we also got Montero who was the "project" for down the road.
texasaggie2015
AG
This would be the type of move to make for the bullpen if we're spending more of our assets on starting pitching. Just looking at it from all angles. We need help in a few different areas.
tjack16
AG
I'm worried about the effect of not getting the first round bye would be especially with how worn out our pitching staff is. In my opinion, unless make at least one major move that is is a game changer, I don't think we get out of the ALDS. Brown has his work cut out for him

Edit to say Dana Brown*
Farmer1906
AG
tjack16 said:

I'm worried about the effect of not getting the first round bye would be especially with how worn out our pitching staff is. In my opinion, unless make at least one major move that is is a game changer, I don't think we get out of the ALDS. Brown has his work cut out for him
Fair concern. 2-3 games mean we have to throw a 3/4 against a team's ace. We have just over 40% of the season left.

And Brown has some underlying #s that he's been "unlucky" or that if he keeps doing what he's doing, improved results will come. He's one of the leaders in FIP-ERA.

And the same is true with ERA (4.26) vs xERA (3.78).
Farmer1906
AG
Cody Bellinger is starting to look a little more real.

He's putting the ball in the air and not on the ground.

Soft & Med contact are down, while Hard is up (TWSS)

Looks like a volatile stock
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I believe he's referring to Dana not Hunter
tjack16
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

I was talking Dana but now that he mentions it, Hunter too given he'd probably start game 1 of an ALDS
Beat40
How many games have Yordan and Altuve played together this season? 15 at most?
bearkatag15
AG
Beat40 said:

I think I heard 13 on one of the broadcasts
Farmer1906
AG
tjack16 said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

I was talking Dana but now that he mentions it, Hunter too given he'd probably start game 1 of an ALDS

Haha that is how I took it. Thinking about potential pitching match ups.
Beau Holder
AG
Lots of day baseball today. DBacks-Braves series has been wicked fun.
Farmer1906
AG
Beau Holder said:

Gallen vs Strider? Yes, please!

Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Also day majors Golf….
texasaggie2015
AG
Time to find a couple day games to bet on and lose my money while I slave away at my desk...
linkdude
AG
Content warning
texasaggie2015
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Time to find a couple day games to bet on and lose my money while I slave away at my desk...
Reds moneyline and Tigers moneyline. Also Michael Kopech under 4.5 K's. Who's with me?
redline248
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Beat40 said:

I think I heard 13 on one of the broadcasts
6 against the As
Prosperdick
AG
You could make the argument that Yordan and Altuve are the two most important players on the team (Framber is obviously in the discussion) but from a non-pitcher perspective those are our two best.

Yordan is our best overall hitter and RBI producer and Altuve is our best contact hitter and heart and soul of the team. The fact that they've only played about a dozen games together, and half of them were against the worst team in the AL, makes our overall record at this point VERY impressive.

If we can just get them back together and healthy for the remainder of the season you've got to think we could start heating up and hopefully be hot for the playoffs. We know all too well that a hot team in the playoffs (especially in the NL) can make the World Series and win it.

Hopefully this is a fun ride over the next two and half months.
Farmer1906
AG
This. There is a not unrealistic scenario where we just start taking souls to end the year if things start clicking.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Prosperdick said:

You could make the argument that Yordan and Altuve are the two most important players on the team (Framber is obviously in the discussion) but from a non-pitcher perspective those are our two best.

Yordan is our best overall hitter and RBI producer and Altuve is our best contact hitter and heart and soul of the team. The fact that they've only played about a dozen games together, and half of them were against the worst team in the AL, makes our overall record at this point VERY impressive.

If we can just get them back together and healthy for the remainder of the season you've got to think we could start heating up and hopefully be hot for the playoffs. We know all too well that a hot team in the playoffs (especially in the NL) can make the World Series and win it.

Hopefully this is a fun ride over the next two and half months.

Make a case…? I'd like to hear someone make a case for anyone else
AgHawkeye
AG
I'm just excited that with a win tonight we can make ground in the division race
Beat40
Farmer1906 said:

This. There is a not unrealistic scenario where we just start taking souls to end the year if things start clicking.
I want it so badly. Really want Altuve and Yordan to finish this year together.
texasaggie2015
AG
12 days until the deadline...
Wabs
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

12 days until the deadline...
Beau Holder
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Beau Holder said:

Gallen vs Strider? Yes, please!

Delivered so far.
Farmer1906
AG

Trade Talk from the Athletic

Quote:

There are just 12 days left until the MLB trade deadline and the cellphones of front-office executives are blowing up with texts and calls, along with the occasional email. Every contending team is active and engaged. Those clubs' general managers and presidents of baseball operations are having conversations with their counterparts across the league, trying to find ways to fortify their teams and put them in the best possible position for the stretch run and, hopefully, beyond.

Before the transactions start flying, here are some trade concepts I'm hearing in conversations with decision-makers throughout the industry. To be clear: Some of these have legs, and some don't. However, as a thought exercise, it's fun to look at potential trade partners and possible player targets for certain teams. It's fun to think about theoretical deals from both sides, and debate which ones might actually materialize. Some of these trade frameworks have been talked about by the clubs in question and others are just rumors, but all of them are interesting and entertaining to contemplate.

I have ranked the following seven trade scenarios in the order that I like them for the respective contending teams.

Quote:

3. Houston Astros
Trade partner: Chicago Cubs
Targets: 1B/OF Cody Bellinger, RHP Marcus Stroman

Astros GM Dana Brown has made it clear to other front offices that his team's biggest needs are a proven starting pitcher and a left-handed-hitting first baseman/outfielder. The Cubs could have both available if they decide to sell at the deadline. Stroman is having a banner year, posting a 2.88 ERA over 20 starts, and he is expected to opt out of his contract after this season and hit free agency at age-32. Bellinger is a Comeback Player of the Year candidate who has slashed .311/.367/.527 with 12 homers and 12 steals. He plays above-average defense at first base and in all three outfield positions. He has a 2024 mutual option he will decline.

This type of huge rental blockbuster would cost the Astros dearly, in terms of extracting value from their farm system, but a trade like this would also position them to be able to catch the Rangers in the AL West and, more importantly, give them a legitimate shot at back-to-back-to-back World Series appearances. It would be reasonable for the Cubs to ask for righty starter Brandon Bielak off their major-league club and one of their top prospects, such as 22-year-old outfielder Drew Gilbert, Houston's first-round pick last year, who would become the headliner for Chicago. Throw in a couple of lower-level prospects and perhaps a deal in this range would work.
I am a hell no for giving up Gilbert for rentals unless its Ohtani, but even then probably not. I am not even that high on Gilbert like some others. But I think I would do Bielake and Melton or Barber.
texasaggie2015
AG
The closer we get to the deadline the more likely I think we actually move Gilbert
W
AG
cannot give up Gilbert for rentals

end of story
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Agreed. Cease/Robert I'd include him, anything else it's a pass on Gilbert
Deluxe
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Also day majors Golf….

More like commercials with a little bit of golf mixed in
Farmer1906
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

We can't afford them.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
It wasn't earlier. They only showed the commercials to the side and still showed golf constantly. It switched around 11 or so
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

We can't afford them.

I made a proposal that everyone said was too much…so it is possible I think but would be gutting
SpaceCityAg05
AG
Ultimately perhaps not, but you do not give up your number one prospect for a rental. Period.
First Page Last Page
Page 1150 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.