***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,546,272 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
BadAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
An Astros offense built around a healthy Alvarez, Altuve, and Tucker is going to be good.

If you make a deal for an elite arm this summer and Garcia, Javier, and Urquidy return to their former levels, Framber continues to pitch at a high level, then congrats, you have a great staff.

I am assuming that McCullers is going to continue to have injury struggles. Maybe Brown will take the next step, it's still early in his career.

tldr the potential return of the injured and struggling SPs shouldn't dissuade you from making a reasonable trade for another young elite SP
Deluxe
AG
Yep. In the 2017-18 offseason, we didn't "need" starting pitching. A staff of JV, Keuchel, LMJ, Morton and McHugh would have been just fine. But we went and got Cole anyway. Turned out pretty good.

Not saying Cease (or whoever else) would be as good as Cole. Just in theory, it's almost impossible to have too much high quality starting pitching.
f1ghtintexasaggie
Might get flamed for this but unless Bregs either (1) elevates his game much closer to 2019, or (2) takes a substantial pay-cut, I don't see us resigning him. He's not been worth the 30M he's been making since the extension.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Yep - imagine it with Altuve and Alvarez back and Meyers riding the pine. Only question is will Dusty go back to back lefties, that seemed to work okay or does he keep abre-boo in the clean up spot and move Tucker back to 5th?
Satellite of Love
Anyone else going to be at Coors Field later? Me and the fam will be in between the Stros dugout and home plate.
Farmer1906
AG
f1ghtintexasaggie said:

Might get flamed for this but unless Bregs either (1) elevates his game much closer to 2019, or (2) takes a substantial pay-cut, I don't see us resigning him. He's not been worth the 30M he's been making since the extension.

This is the first year making big money. It's 28.5 M. His 100 M deal averaged out to be 20 M per. Less if you factor in the Covid year.
Big Al 1992
AG
I'd rather see Julks in the outfield and maybe Meyer as DH because Meyers arm in the OF costs us runs.
f1ghtintexasaggie
I'd argue he's not been worth 20M. He's just so damn streaky (except for the BB rate).
Beat40
Deluxe said:

Yep. In the 2017-18 offseason, we didn't "need" starting pitching. A staff of JV, Keuchel, LMJ, Morton and McHugh would have been just fine. But we went and got Cole anyway. Turned out pretty good.

Not saying Cease (or whoever else) would be as good as Cole. Just in theory, it's almost impossible to have too much high quality starting pitching.
Starting pitching is what makes post-season runs deep. I will take 3 guys that can run me 6 deep in the post-season and feel really good about it.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

I'd rather see Julks in the outfield and maybe Meyer as DH because Meyers arm in the OF costs us runs.
And you can do this when Alvarez is in Left or switch them when Alvarez is DH. You have to incorporate Dubon in there some unless his Cinderella season is over
AustinCountyAg
Maybe I've had one too many beers already this afternoon, but I'd be all for trading Peña and some prospects if it meant an elite SP. this teams core is only here a couple more years and to be Frank the world series clock is ticking.

Bregs most likely won't be resigned, signs point to tucker being gone, our current pitching staff has been overused and will regress sooner than later.

Make a big trade and try to go get another one this year and pray the chas' and Dubons of the world get hot come October.

Or go get an elite bat, lord knows we need another one.
AustinCountyAg
Beat40 said:

Deluxe said:

Starting pitching is what makes post-season runs deep. I will take 3 guys that can run me 6 deep in the post-season and feel really good about it.
i agree but this team currently doesn't have a single pitcher that's consistently going 6 deep.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Deluxe
AG
Beat40 said:

Deluxe said:

Yea. We've had some headline offenses during this 6+ year run but pitching (specifically starting pitching) has been our biggest advantage in October IMO.

Some concerns this year, no doubt. But I also remember going into the 2020 playoffs wondering where the F we were going to get innings from. Same with the 2021 playoffs post LMJ injury. We have a weird knack for finding a way.
texasaggie2015
AG

Still no Yordan. At this point I'm very skeptical of him being "under the weather" and wonder if they just don't want to give all the details with the deadline so close.
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Still no Yordan. At this point I'm very skeptical of him being "under the weather" and wonder if they just don't want to give all the details with the deadline so close.
"He reinjured his oblique sneezing while he had his head cold"
bearkatag15
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Michael Conner on 790 just made the same assumption… guess I figured out who you are … only thing is he went to Texas Tech…. Good cover
texasaggie2015
AG
Haha... I'm not Michael but I do know him very well. He's a good dude.
Mathguy64
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

What the hell? So he's Michael Brantley 2023?
Beat40
texasaggie2015 said:

Yeah, this is my assumption too. He's not ready for rehab, but doesn't want teams to turn the screws trying to up the ante on deals.

I at least need Altuve to come back when he's supposed to.
Prosperdick
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Well if he's seriously injured I think the trade deadline becomes a lot less important because with no Yordan we're not doing anything in the playoffs (if we even make them).

I wonder if he had a setback and they're hopeful that it's minor and he can start a rehab assignment in a couple of weeks.

Either way it sucks.
Farmer1906
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Unrelated to Yordan, Pedro Leon was red hot. He's not longer. -13 wRC+ over the last 12 games.
All I do is Nguyen

As much as I'd love to have Cease that is A LOT of players to trade. Maybe if we got Graveman back too
No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
Wabs
AG
I'm going to go ahead and say hell no to that deal.
agproducer
AG
That kneecaps all of our depth in the OF.

It would be idiotic to trade 4 OF (3 of them prospects) with Tuck being gone after 2025.
redline248
AG
Sorry, I'm doing some catch up right now...
Quote:

All Batters from these teams with 110 wRC+

I was wondering how the Royals were so bad. Do they really not have any good hitters?
Farmer1906
AG
Love this stat. Altuve is legendary.

redline248
AG
Tonight's lineup is good, but I'm still not a fan of Dubon leadiing off. This isn't my attempt to be all "grr Dusty dumb mother f-cker!" but just look...

As leadoff: .264 average, 2% BB, 15% K, .280 wOBA, 76 wRC+ (239 PA)
Batting 8th: .368 average, 5% BB, 2.5% K, .363 wOBA, 134 wRC+ (40 PA)
Batting 9th: .286 average, 12.5% BB, 0%K, .354 wOBA, 127 wRC+ (8 PA)

Obviously small samples for 8/9, even if combined, but I think it's not insignificant.
Ag_07
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

As much as I'd love to have Cease that is A LOT of players to trade. Maybe if we got Graveman back too

Instead of Gilbert and Spaghetti I'd give them Julks and France and call it a day
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Who are we trading to acquire top 10 prospects? We don't have any of those, we have what 1 top 100 prospect?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

Throw in Liam Hendricks
EastCoastAgNc
AG

One hell of a head cold
mAgnoliAg
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Who are we trading to acquire top 10 prospects? We don't have any of those, we have what 1 top 100 prospect?

Not even that anymore. Pretty sure they are talking top 10 Astros organization prospects
Boiling Denim
EastCoastAgNc said:

One hell of a head cold

Definitely feels like some shenanigans going on. Maybe not 100% about Yordan's health. More like if we can hold him back another week we can keep the auditions open for Chas, Meyers, Julks etc as trade bait
First Page Last Page
Page 1124 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.